It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preseason Game Help
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
For Father's Day, I got tickets to the Bears-Broncos preseason game. It's a Thursday night 7 p.m. start time. (Button 48).

Never been to a game at Soldier Field. I'm looking for any advice/help on the best way to do this thing. My daughter's place is in Wrigleyville and I have access to good safe reasonable parking there.

Depending on the traffic/parking situation on LSD and Soldier Field, I'm wondering if it is better to Uber or Taxi to and from Soldier from my daughter's place? Or, since it's just a preseason game, is it a pretty easy in & out of Soldier onto LSD? What is the parking fee at Soldier?

If I Uber/Taxi - are they even available/allowed outside the stadium? Is there a shuttle/bus opportunity near Wrigley to Soldier anybody knows about? Yes, I'm going to investigate further on the interwebz but I wanted to reach out to real experts. I appreciate any and all feedback - the good, the bad and the ugly... Sincere thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Preseason Game Help
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
yeah you obviously could uber/lyft/taxi from wrigleyville, but that'll prolly run you $15-30+ taxi-fares each way (plus i'm pretty sure you'd have to drive south past/around the stadium and circle back around the whole stadium to ultimately get dropped off by the north end / field museum, which can add 15+ mins to your arrival because to do that you gotta go past all their official parking lots + traffic. there's a left turn into that north end un/loading zone but i think they only let certain city buses use it)

you could just take the CTA red line and get off at roosevelt. from there i'd approximate that it's a 15-20min walk, but it's a pretty nice walk where you'll walk up roosevelt and cross michigan, walk on a bridge over a bunch of train tracks, then you go off to the left and walk down to this big ol walkway that goes under hollywood / columbus or whatever the names are of the other big streets that run parallel to michigan ave between michigan ave and soldier field. after going under a couple viaducts it then winds right/south along the field museum to ultimately deposit you right at the north side of soldier field and you're good to go.

btw, on the north side of the stadium you definitely want to go up the big ramp to get in. yeah you're going to see a massive amount of people entering via that ramp, but that's because there's like 10-15+ people doing security+tickets so it always moves way faster than the other 1-2 staffer gates. even tho you'd think that those would be better cuz there's simply less people entering there, trust me that they're not (i missed greg olsen's first quarter touchdown @ that playoff game vs seattle because of this). go up the ramp cuz no matter how many ppl are there it will move way faster than anywhere else on/around the north side of soldier field, and if you're sitting in 100 level seats you can still walk down some stairs to access them (idk where to enter for 0-level seats cuz believe it or not i've never sat in the 0 levels b4 =)

also, if you do the CTA/walkway-- right before you kick around to head due south alongside the field museum there's a nice outdoor souvenir shop where over the years i've made a killing on stupid $10/clearance shirts (hurricane ditka / wine em dine em 69 em [jared allen caricature] / etc) and they have a bunch of nice official bears/NFL stuff there that isn't ridiculously overpriced (i've caught nice longsleeve shirts for like $20-25 there) so it's definitely cheaper than the 1 official team shop somewhere in soldier field where you're probably going to have to start at $30+ to get anything decent.

if you do the taxi/uber/lyft thing i personally always walk out of soldier field via that walkway and get back across michigan ave b4 i grab a cab/uber just so i don't have to deal with any traffic nightmares right there @ the stadium. this way i can grab a cab on a one-way-street-going-west with a highway entrance and get back to skokie for ~$15-25., as opposed to racking up another $5-15 being caught in a shit ton of traffic right there @ the stadium.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Pick up a cheap soth lot parking pass (approximately $50 face but one can find preseason at a discount), get there early and tailgate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Red Line to Roosevelt is the most sensible way to do it if you don't mind sitting and moving with your back to the windows. Use the money you'd have spent on Uber (~$60 minus $4.50) to eat a nice dinner somewhere. The aspiring rappers don't start boarding till around Harrison, so it's mostly an unremarkable ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
sini (good to see you back in the saddle), a genius & CH, thanks a lot for the good info.

So far so good. Looking forward to seeing more great advice. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 am 

I do mind sitting with my back to the windows, though, it should be noted. I mind it a lot. But, I mean, it still gets you there and back for under five bucks, it's a pleasant walk to Grant Park in the summer, and it's a preseason game so you'll probably just peace out early anyway. Were it a game in November or December where the game counts and you'd likely stay for the whole thing, it'd probably be better to arrive by car.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:02 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Red Line to Roosevelt is the most sensible way to do it if you don't mind sitting and moving with your back to the windows. Use the money you'd have spent on Uber (~$60 minus $4.50) to eat a nice dinner somewhere. The aspiring rappers don't start boarding till around Harrison, so it's mostly an unremarkable ride.

this guy is right for once

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Contact spada.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
How much is parking at Soldier Field, I'm looking to go to the game too, I have never been to Soldier Field either, if too high, stubhub is offering parking passes around 25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:13 am 

reents wrote:
How much is parking at Soldier Field, I'm looking to go to the game too, I have never been to Soldier Field either, if too high, stubhub is offering parking passes around 25

http://www.soldierfieldparking.com/bears.php

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
move!

My daughter is also a city dweller living in the loop. I hate going downtown or anywhere else in the city.

NFL = 65 inch TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:01 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
I hate going downtown or anywhere else in the city.

Why? It's fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Dead people prefer the company of death.

City = living
Suburbs = waiting for death.
Exurbs = death.
Country = living, painfully.

Last edited by Hussra on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
FavreFan's survey of NFL game attendance thread bearing strange, pre-season game attendance fruit. Attendance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
NFL = 65 inch TV.

That is like saying you will only eat chicken prepared one way, i.e. fried. Try roasted, bbq, smoked, beer can. Each is different but good.

Big screen TV at home, attending home games, attending road games. Each is a unique, enjoyable experience.

Speaking of which tickets on sale tomorrow 9am CDT for bears at tampa. Working out the details for that one. Looks like wife and I will be part of a party of 10 for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:29 am 

Skip the preseason game and literally do anything else.