It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
They’re busybody assholes. It’s like letting a Homeowners Association decide your city’s future.

what do you mean? the city is letting accountants decide.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:
I still don't understand this whole "public trust doctrine" stuff. A stadium has existed there for 100 years. Why haven't they demolished it for 100 years? Why is it suddenly an issue when they simply want to replace it?

Probably the extent to which the Bears want to control the master lease on the building and the revenue from other events. If the stadium is "publicly owned" but the Bears get all the money from, as Kevin Warren put it, 20 straight nights of Beyonce concerts, then it ceases to be a stadium where the Bears happen to play a few times a year and becomes a year-round profit engine for private enterprise, which would be out of step with the museums and parkland, and an end-run around keeping the lakefront with the public. I don't think we could have Lollapalooza for 200 days a year, either.

But the Bears are writing a $2 billion check too. Erase that and Chicago can keep the Beyonce revenue.

Then they should split revenue proportionally, no?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:31 pm 

That would be a fair thing to demand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm 

Why even bother. Build the stadium with cash, so when the city goes full genius you can dunk your nuts on their face.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I wish the Bears could have built at Lincoln Yards, since that whole thing seems destined not to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:46 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I wish the Bears could have built at Lincoln Yards, since that whole thing seems destined not to happen.

I think Sterling Bay would sell out of that in a minute if they could, just like the guys trying to be bought out of the new white sox location

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Kevin Warren is making his pitch to JB Pritzker tomorrow. Anyone think this is going to end well?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:56 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Kevin Warren is making his pitch to JB Pritzker tomorrow. Anyone think this is going to end well?

Brick.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
conns7901 wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Brick.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am 

conns7901 wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Brick.

It will go fine. It will be political theater just like all the other statements by Pritzker have been.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 am 

There is no such thing as political power. There is only DUH BEARS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: John's
blackhawksfan wrote:

Kevin should bring food

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Just the Bears luck, this time around JB doesn't have an appetite

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
What a waste of time. Finish the deal with Arlington Heights!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Kevin Warren confirmed more inept than Ted Phillips, that's gotta hurt. I'm hoping he finds solace in prayer.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Kevin Warren confirmed more inept than Ted Phillips, that's gotta hurt. I'm hoping he finds solace in prayer.

And his freshly washed Mercedes.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm 

I think the Bears and the state could have brokered a sweetheart deal for the 78 if the Bears had been willing to quietly collaborate on it. Instead, they thought they could big-dick everyone and be like "screw Chicago, we're moving to a suburb in the same county and you have to give us money to build a strip mall around it. We won in '85." Then Cook County caught them with their pants down on the whole tax assessment thing and the Bears couldn't explain why the land is worth a small fraction of what they just paid for it, why they thus overpaid for it, and why we should then trust the financial acumen of a family that grossly overpaid for that land to begin with and give them lots of tax breaks and public funding.

Then they go back to Chicago, copy-paste Allegiant Stadium onto Grant Park, literally thank God for giving them Kevin Warren, and still can't make the math add up. This whole scam might have worked on a mook with no real power like Rod Blagojevich, but Pritzker seems to have legitimate presidential aspirations built on pulling Illinois out of financial despair. Then, to make matters worse, they alienated Springfield and cast their lot with the mayor of Chicago, a guy whose job of letting kids set cars on fire and smoke crack on the train gives him bad anxiety attacks. Every move the Bears made seemed to be based on an outdated paradigm of Illinois politics if not outright magical thinking. You can't be at all surprised.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:22 pm 

By the time anyone pulls Illinois out of financial despair ole Tubby will be long forgotten

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:36 pm 

I think the Kansas City referendum really changed things. The Chiefs won back-to-back championships and three of the last five, asked for public funding for their 50-year-old stadium, and resoundingly lost. The Bears, who only even make the playoffs about twice a decade, want to replace their 20-year-old stadium with public money. What did they think was going to happen?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:27 pm 

Quote:
As the Governor has said, the current proposal is a non-starter for the state. In order to subsidize a brand-new stadium for a privately owned sports team, the Governor would need to see a demonstrable and tangible benefit to the taxpayers of Illinois."

"The Governor's office remains open to conversations with the Bears, lawmakers, and other stakeholders with the understanding that responsible fiscal stewardship of tax-payer dollars remains the foremost priority."

Just political bluster.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
RFDC wrote:
By the time anyone pulls Illinois out of financial despair ole Tubby will be long forgotten

Tubby’s economic plan was to create a global pandemic, hope the Republican president of the country would shut down the country and then give trillions of dollars in funding to states, and use those funds to kick the can on any actual reform. Then - and here’s the best part - get out of dodge before the Covid funds dry up.

It was genius.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:

Tubby’s economic plan was to create a global pandemic, hope the Republican president of the country would shut down the country and then give trillions of dollars in funding to states, and use those funds to kick the can on any actual reform. Then - and here’s the best part - get out of dodge before the Covid funds dry up.

It was genius.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This Arlington Heights thing is going to get done. I think they're going to have to sell a minority stake in the team to a buyer that has some land development acumen. They will then partner with that buyer to make the Bears Disneyland that they originally planned.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
This Arlington Heights thing is going to get done. I think they're going to have to sell a minority stake in the team to a buyer that has some land development acumen. They will then partner with that buyer to make the Bears Disneyland that they originally planned.

Pritzker will cave. Dome is getting built. A pastor and the Mayor will join Warren in the next meeting with the Governor.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 am 

Funny how many so-called fiscal conservatives can't stop honking off to the idea of public subsidies for a stadium.

Warren Newson wrote:

Still can't handle the traffic.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:01 am 

RFDC wrote:

It was genius.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 am 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It was genius.

You don’t strike me as the type who reads all that often, so I can live with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: What??

Join me in a prayer to get this thing done.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:08 am 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It was genius.

You don’t strike me as the type who reads all that often, so I can live with that.

The Governor of Illinois created a global pandemic for the purpose of Donald Trump giving his state "trillions of dollars" to do nothing with and then "get out of dodge" by running for President of the United States.

That IS a genius plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next