It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:55 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I would guess so, yeah. They needed to get the funding done today to open for 2028 best-case scenario, right? I'd say they stay put through at least 2029 at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Curious Hair wrote:
I've never seen anything official, but my intuition says most ticketholders would be on the North Shore or in southern DuPage County (Naperville to Brookfield, to put a finer point on it) because that's where the money is. I'd put the city proper third and the northwest burbs fourth. This is why I've been in hysterics about traffic from the east and south: 290 and 355 suck, but getting here en masse from the North Shore has the potential to be an unmitigated goatfuck.

Man I never thought my village would be mentioned in the same sentence as Naperville. At least we're not in DuPage county!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:37 am 

theyre likely hoping williams takes the bears deep into the playoffs, or win a title before the new stadium. their bargaining power will greatly be in their favor then.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Warrens plan is to wait and hope that Illinois gives him 2 billion dollars in the fall? Seriously? This organization is an embarrassment.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 11:36 am 

Wasn't Warren's whole thing "you have to give me money RIGHT NOW, there is no other time to give me money, you will suffer the consequences if you don't immediately give me money"? Kinda hard to do an encore performance of that, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
Wasn't Warren's whole thing "you have to give me money RIGHT NOW, there is no other time to give me money, you will suffer the consequences if you don't immediately give me money"? Kinda hard to do an encore performance of that, isn't it?
I'm afraid I must insist. You see, our owner, she has been most vocal on the subject of the football monies. "Where is the money?" "When are you going to get the money?" "Why aren't you getting the money now?" And so on. So please, the money.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:08 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah. This was a big blunder by Warren. The fact that he convinced them that AH sucks because it's not by water a year into the planning for AH only works if you actually get the right offer from the city and state. It sounds like he only got the city to do it.

It will still get done one way or another but this was a big delay.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:
I still don't see a roadmap to Arlington Heights: like, literally, the roads can't handle 65,000 people getting in and out of there.

why would 65k people all be coming by road?

I'll admit, I'm biased....I'd attend my first Bears game if they moved out there. I've had Bulls season tickets and Cubs season tickets but never been to a game at Soldier and never will.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:15 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I still don't see a roadmap to Arlington Heights: like, literally, the roads can't handle 65,000 people getting in and out of there.

Because a station halfway up the Northwest Line only benefits a small group of people and most Bears fans are obsessed with giant parking lots?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:19 pm 

Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah. This was a big blunder by Warren. The fact that he convinced them that AH sucks because it's not by water a year into the planning for AH only works if you actually get the right offer from the city and state. It sounds like he only got the city to do it.

It wasn't even as if they had some big knock-down-drag-out battle on the statehouse floor that the Bears ultimately lost. The government just completely sure-Janned Warren's entire pitch. The Sox, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:24 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Because a station halfway up the Northwest Line only benefits a small group of people and most Bears fans are obsessed with giant parking lots?

if the Bears were in AH or Naperville, their season ticket base would change. Lots of money in the northwestern, western burbs. They must know this.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I wonder if most Cowboys fans attending games are from Dallas proper or Irving/Arlington.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:17 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
if the Bears were in AH or Naperville, their season ticket base would change. Lots of money in the northwestern, western burbs. They must know this.

The northwest suburbs aren't that wealthy. The Barringtons, yes, Park Ridge, maybe, but most of the area is firmly middle-class, and Bears tickets are already very expensive before a new stadium.

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I wonder if most Cowboys fans attending games are from Dallas proper or Irving/Arlington.

Less relevant. Dallas-Ft. Worth is a pavement paradise on a level that parking-obsessed Bears fans could only dream of. Those shitkickers drive 20 minutes in their F-150s for a gallon of milk. The stadium location doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It wasn't even as if they had some big knock-down-drag-out battle on the statehouse floor that the Bears ultimately lost. The government just completely sure-Janned Warren's entire pitch. The Sox, too.

Warren had zero leverage from the start, they'd already bought Arlington Park. I still don't understand Warren's plan to play the city against AH and vice versa. He's telling AH he needs property tax certainty, which essentially is a difference of $5-7 million per year to what is on the table now, and then also telling Chicago the Bears have a $2.5 billion check to write. What is AH supposed to say to that? They clearly can't come close to what the Bears want from the city and state and even if the school board caves completely, AH still can't close the supposed funding gap with any offer. So there was never really a threat to compel AH to do anything and the ask from the Bears of the city and the state is just absurd. To refinance the original Soldier Field renovation bonds for 40 years at today's interest rates, lol. From the original pivot to the lakefront site Warren's entire pitch is just totally incoherent with reality.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

The northwest suburbs aren't that wealthy. The Barringtons, yes, Park Ridge, maybe, but most of the area is firmly middle-class, and Bears tickets are already very expensive before a new stadium.

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Less relevant. Dallas-Ft. Worth is a pavement paradise on a level that parking-obsessed Bears fans could only dream of. Those shitkickers drive 20 minutes in their F-150s for a gallon of milk. The stadium location doesn't matter.

100% correct on the Cowboys.
Dallas as the city has not ever been the focal point. They've always been a sprawled out ginormous "Metroplex" as opposed to a big city (financial center) with surrounding suburbs like Chicago.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:15 pm 

Yeah, most of the South was designed for the car. Chicago was not and many of its suburbs, including Arlington Heights and its 24-foot-wide east-west arterial, are not.

What's interesting to me is that public transit is a necessity for Cubs games and generally advisable for Sox/Bulls/Hawks/college games (though I am forever befuddled that they built a Green Line station at Damen instead of a Pink Line station at Madison). But when it comes to the Bears, there's this idea that going to the game should be a perfectly frictionless doorstep-to-doorstep drive, that the Kennedy and Eisenhower should just part like the Red Sea so that people can engage in the sacred ritual of eating pasta salad near the back of an SUV. This constant braying for more parking, more parking, more parking: yeah, you'd be parking right on Wilke trying to get home for three hours because the area's not designed to have that many cars descend upon it and you can't make it so it is.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:24 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, most of the South was designed for the car. Chicago was not and many of its suburbs, including Arlington Heights and its 24-foot-wide east-west arterial, are not.

What's interesting to me is that public transit is a necessity for Cubs games and generally advisable for Sox/Bulls/Hawks/college games (though I am forever befuddled that they built a Green Line station at Damen instead of a Pink Line station at Madison). But when it comes to the Bears, there's this idea that going to the game should be a perfectly frictionless doorstep-to-doorstep drive, that the Kennedy and Eisenhower should just part like the Red Sea so that people can engage in the sacred ritual of eating pasta salad near the back of an SUV. This constant braying for more parking, more parking, more parking: yeah, you'd be parking right on Wilke trying to get home for three hours because the area's not designed to have that many cars descend upon it and you can't make it so it is.

The parking issue can't be adequately fixed at either site, but that's not my issue with the current Soldier Field/proposed new Soldier Field. The biggest issue has always been how cut off the stadium is from the surrounding area. Even if you take the red line to Roosevelt, you still have a 45 minute walk to the gate. And after the game any pedestrian exiting the game on the north side of the stadium is bottlenecked right by the Field Museum so it takes even longer to walk out of there. The new lakefront site is even more cut off from pedestrian access. At least Arlington Park would have a Metra station that would alleviate those issues.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Just force everyone on to 290/53 and have them figure it out from there.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Just force everyone on to 290/53 and have them figure it out from there.

Not the worst idea in the world you Douchebag.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
College towns figure it out with far less access to highways and larger stadiums.

Sure it’ll suck before/after most events if you live in the area, but look at the bright side - nobody else will care!

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:56 pm 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The parking issue can't be adequately fixed at either site, but that's not my issue with the current Soldier Field/proposed new Soldier Field. The biggest issue has always been how cut off the stadium is from the surrounding area. Even if you take the red line to Roosevelt, you still have a 45 minute walk to the gate. And after the game any pedestrian exiting the game on the north side of the stadium is bottlenecked right by the Field Museum so it takes even longer to walk out of there. The new lakefront site is even more cut off from pedestrian access. At least Arlington Park would have a Metra station that would alleviate those issues.

That's why the 78 makes more sense for the Bears than it does for the Sox. Short walk from Museum Campus for our Indiana/south-burb friends, short walk from Roosevelt for everybody else. If you want to do shuttles from the West Loop terminals, that's easy enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 1:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's why the 78 makes more sense for the Bears than it does for the Sox. Short walk from Museum Campus for our Indiana/south-burb friends, short walk from Roosevelt for everybody else. If you want to do shuttles from the West Loop terminals, that's easy enough.

Yeah, that's assuming the Bears even care about the fan experience at all, which I'm not convinced they do. Kevin Warren's obsession with lakefront establishing shots of the stadium seems to indicate they wouldn't put it anywhere but the lakefront, even though they claimed to look at dozens of sites. I still continue to believe the lakefront stadium is the world's worst leverage play and Kevin Warren is a bit of a rube when it comes to the city of Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:50 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
College towns figure it out with far less access to highways and larger stadiums.

College towns are some of the most walkable cities in America!

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Kevin Warren's obsession with lakefront establishing shots of the stadium seems to indicate they wouldn't put it anywhere but the lakefront, even though they claimed to look at dozens of sites. I still continue to believe the lakefront stadium is the world's worst leverage play and Kevin Warren is a bit of a rube when it comes to the city of Chicago.

I think someone here in one thread or another posited that Warren is really just angling for commissioner by pulling off the impossible and getting a lakefront stadium in Chicago. He's delusional if he thinks he can get that job, but at least it's more plausible and more respectable than being unable to comprehend the idea of taking B-roll of Grant Park and then cutting to the game.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:57 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Kevin Warren's obsession with lakefront establishing shots of the stadium seems to indicate they wouldn't put it anywhere but the lakefront, even though they claimed to look at dozens of sites. I still continue to believe the lakefront stadium is the world's worst leverage play and Kevin Warren is a bit of a rube when it comes to the city of Chicago.

I think someone here in one thread or another posited that Warren is really just angling for commissioner by pulling off the impossible and getting a lakefront stadium in Chicago. He's delusional if he thinks he can get that job, but at least it's more plausible and more respectable than being unable to comprehend the idea of taking B-roll of Grant Park and then cutting to the game.

He's all ambition and it's so transparent. All those puff pieces on Bears.com about him read as desperate and phony, he badly miscalculated the appetite for not only the stadium but also for Kevin Warren personal information. He may think that washing his car indoors at his luxury building makes him look like a man of the people but it doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

St. Charles/Geneva? Lake in the Hills? Barrington, for sure? Naperville itself? I think you're wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
:lol:

This person has never attended a college football game. In fact, he may not even know what a college football game is.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:13 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
St. Charles/Geneva? Lake in the Hills? Barrington, for sure? Naperville itself? I think you're wrong.

Lake in the Hills?!?

Well, anyway, doesn't matter, stadium isn't happening here. I look forward to the land being used for something more useful and less ugly.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Curious Hair wrote:

College towns will host games in stadiums that hold multiples of the town’s population with little more than a highway exit.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Lake in the Hills?!?

Well, anyway, doesn't matter, stadium isn't happening here. I look forward to the land being used for something more useful and less ugly.

What would be more useful? More sprawling houses when that is most of what exists for 10 miles in every direction?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:32 pm 

Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Lake in the Hills?!?

What would be more useful? More sprawling houses when that is most of what exists for 10 miles in every direction?

I would love for it to become all residential.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next