It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lightfoot Dome!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:16 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
if Bears fans haven't lost interest by now I'm pretty sure they will be OK in a new football stadium in AH. Oh my, how will fans ever be able to survive watching the Bears on TV and talking about the Bears and following the team when they play in another stadium?

Yeah this is how I see things going.

For a Bears home games I am guessing a good group of those fans in the stands are not from the actual city limits of Chicago. That won't change.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
RFDC wrote:
if Bears fans haven't lost interest by now I'm pretty sure they will be OK in a new football stadium in AH. Oh my, how will fans ever be able to survive watching the Bears on TV and talking about the Bears and following the team when they play in another stadium?

Yeah this is how I see things going.

For a Bears home games I am guessing a good group of those fans in the stands are not from the actual city limits of Chicago. That won't change.

MANY "other" teams that decided to "shit" on their own fans have thought exactly the same thing only to look stupid (or like Frank) later on.

As stated, there was much more interest in the Jets in Shea than there ever has been in them once they moved to New Jersey. I can name countless other teams that experienced the same thing once they decided to bounce from their team's city limits.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:26 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
It's going to be tough to fill those seats in years 12-15 when you are consistently putting out a product that goes 6-11 and 5-12 every year. Chicago supports the Bears even through the "lean years". I doubt seriously that towns in the Western Suburbs will do the same.
I love the idea that people from Chicago won't go to Arlington Heights because it may take slightly longer than it took for a huge majority of them to get to Soldier Field.

There will not be the same level of interest in the team once they shit on the "Great Fans of Chicago". You'll see

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I am willing to listen - what other NFL teams have built bigger, better new stadiums within their same market and lived to regret it? Washington DC would be one that comes to mind, though they have problems far beyond a bad stadium.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Missing Link wrote:
It's going to be tough to fill those seats in years 12-15 when you are consistently putting out a product that goes 6-11 and 5-12 every year. Chicago supports the Bears even through the "lean years"
The majority of Bears STH reside in suburban zip codes.

The Missing Link wrote:
I can name countless other teams that experienced the same thing once they decided to bounce from their team's city limits.
Please do so.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
I can name countless other teams that experienced the same thing once they decided to bounce from their team's city limits.
Please do so.

We all know that the number of sporting teams that have ever existed in a professional sense that left from a city limits must be a finite number; let's call it x. The number of teams that experienced the same thing that TML describes must be a number between zero and x. Since x is finite and countable, and all integers between zero and x are also finite and countable, the number that TML is referring to must therefore be countable. Victory to Frank.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:43 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
It's going to be tough to fill those seats in years 12-15 when you are consistently putting out a product that goes 6-11 and 5-12 every year. Chicago supports the Bears even through the "lean years"

The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
The Dolphins don't seem to be the same since leaving the Orange Bowl.
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:44 pm 

I am willing to listen - what other NFL teams have built bigger, better new stadiums within their same market and lived to regret it? Washington DC would be one that comes to mind, though they have problems far beyond a bad stadium.

Washington D.C.
Detroit when they moved to the Silverdome years ago.
Miami Dolphins.
Fandom has never been the same since either of these teams moved out of their namesake city

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:51 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:

Washington D.C.
Miami Dolphins.
Fandom has never been the same since either of these teams moved out of their namesake city

Maybe that is because they have been pitiful damn teams. I think the Bears will be just fine in Arlington Heights.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:53 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady

The Rams are a fair example, though Anaheim Stadium was not a new facility when they moved in and they already had attendance problems prior to that and had to move due to blackout rules.
You think the Jets regret moving to Giants Stadium and MetLife?
The Dolphins have been in their current Stadium for 35 years, I'm pretty sure they are going to make it.
Washington's new stadium was definitely a disaster.
The Patriots are really hurting after that painful move from Boston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:53 pm 

Rio de Janeiro wrote:
If the Bears go to Arlington Heights the city will take it as a declaration of war. No matter if its a victorious incumbent Lori Lightfoot or someone new who isn't about to watch the Bears mar their first months in office and take it lying down.

NFL games will be played at Soldier Field. The league and the city both want that, the latter won't tolerate the stadium being empty just as a matter of saving face and principle. If the Bears aren't willing to be that team then the Jaguars will be, and whatever deals or scheming it takes to get that done will get done. Full stop.

The instant the Bears declare they are going to Arlington Heights the gears start turning, and by the time the stadium is done opening day for the Chicago Jaguars will be set. There wont even be one season's gap, the transition will be seamless.

If the Bears want to invite this scenario where an upstart relocation franchise does what the Rams just did they will quickly watch themselves relegated to the status of local afterthought.

Welcome back Kirkwood!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:56 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:00 pm 

I've never been there, but by all the accounts I have read the Redskins Stadium is among the worst in the NFL. I love how they sawed off 15,000 seats from the top. Better than tarps I guess!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:04 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady

The Rams are a fair example, though Anaheim Stadium was not a new facility when they moved in and they already had attendance problems prior to that and had to move due to blackout rules.
You think the Jets regret moving to Giants Stadium and MetLife?
The Dolphins have been in their current Stadium for 35 years, I'm pretty sure they are going to make it.
Washington's new stadium was definitely a disaster.
The Patriots are really hurting after that painful move from Boston

Winning matters, no doubt. But each of those teams fan bases seem to have lost a lot of their passion. Frankly, to hear the really old guys tell it, the Bears moving to the dump that is Soldier Field a lot was lost.

And fwiw I think that the Jets wish they had a stadium in Brooklyn or Queens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady
:lol: :lol: LTG could burn down an orphanage on Christmas Eve, and you would still defend him.

Rams; have moved out of state, then returned with a brand new stadium. They will be fine.
Jets; already been covered here.
Dolphins; Have been in their current stadium since 1987. They seem to be fine.
WFT; Nearly 25 years at FEDEX field which is garbage, location notwithstanding. Two name changes doesn't help.
Patrios have played at the exact same physical location since 1971

The Pontiac Silverdome was one of the toughest places to play as a road team for MANY years in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc9Eii21hyE
Sounds like nobody cares about the Lions in that video! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:09 pm 

I am sure the Jets do wish that but there is no universe in which the Jets wish they had stayed in Shea Stadium when they moved to Jersey. There is no way they could afford to build what the Meadowlands had to offer at the time. If the Jets had forgone going in with the Giants on MetLife I think a move to a new stadium in Queens or Brooklyn would have been great for them too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:11 pm 

I am sure the Jets do wish that but there is no universe in which the Jets wish they had stayed in Shea Stadium when they moved to Jersey. There is no way they could afford to build what the Meadowlands had to offer at the time. If the Jets had forgone going in with the Giants on MetLife I think a move to a new stadium in Queens or Brooklyn would have been great for them too.

So in other words we basically agree. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:12 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Washington D.C.
Miami Dolphins.

Maybe that is because they have been pitiful damn teams. I think the Bears will be just fine in Arlington Heights.

So do the Bears which is my point. The Bears do not have to win in order to draw interest from their fans. "WE" love that sad sack team whether they win or lose. They still pack the stadium and are hands down considered "Chicago's Team". They have one of the more unique positions in sports and have for decades. When they move the "love affair" will change and change drastically.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:15 pm 

The question at hand was teams that have left city limits that have been abandoned by their fans. The Jets was given as an example. The Jets are still in New Jersey in a new stadium 40 years later, so the answer would be "no" to the Jets making a mistake moving out of city limits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:16 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Washington D.C.
Miami Dolphins.

So do the Bears which is my point. The Bears do not have to win in order to draw interest from their fans. "WE" love that sad sack team whether they win or lose. They still pack the stadium and are hands down considered "Chicago's Team". They have one of the more unique positions in sports and have for decades. When they move the "love affair" will change and change drastically.

Weren't there a pretty significant amount of empty seats at Bears games last year and tickets if I recall seemed to be easy to come by? I could be wrong as I don't watch every Bears home game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:18 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady
:lol: :lol: LTG could burn down an orphanage on Christmas Eve, and you would still defend him.

Rams; have moved out of state, then returned with a brand new stadium. They will be fine.
WFT; Nearly 25 years at FEDEX field which is garbage, location notwithstanding. Two name changes doesn't help.
Patrios have played at the exact same physical location since 1971

The Pontiac Silverdome was one of the toughest places to play as a road team for MANY years in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc9Eii21hyE
Sounds like nobody cares about the Lions in that video! :lol: :lol:

"Already covered there" Yeah dumbass by me and Reader :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As usual you didn't have add shit. WFT was impacted by "2 name changes". No they were impacted by a stadium change you nit wit. They were never able to duplicate the sort of heat and interest that they had in RFK and everyone (besides you) knows it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

Since RR decided to jump into this thread, and he is also on record as saying he does not respect the opinions of suburbanites, does this mean he will shut the fuck up and cease his incessant whining about the Bears when they move away from his beloved Lakefront?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:19 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Weren't there a pretty significant amount of empty seats at Bears games last year and tickets if I recall seemed to be easy to come by? I could be wrong as I don't watch every Bears home game.
It's going to be easier to convince those people to not eat the cost of the ticket when it's 70 degrees on December 18 rather than 30 with a wind off the lake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:20 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady

Patriots have played at the exact same physical location since 1971:

The Dolphins are one of the teams where road fans go in regular droves for decades and until New England won, no one in Boston gave a damn about the Rhode Island Patriots.

Frankly I'm curious as to how well the Packers enjoyed playing in flavorless County Stadium.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Please do so.

Anaheim Rams
Jets
WFT
The Patriots pre Brady

Patriots have played at the exact same physical location since 1971:

The Dolphins are one of the teams where road fans go in regular droves for decades and until New England won, no one in Boston gave a damn about the Rhode Island Patriots.

Frankly I'm curious as to how well the Packers enjoyed playing in flavorless County Stadium.

County Stadium was awful and a extremely dumb idea but back when it was started they needed the Milwaukee fan base.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 pm 

In fairness Washington's stadium is not the reason for that teams recent troubles. The new stadium was right next door to the old one, so its not like the fans felt abandoned by them moving to another suburb, so its not even the same situation the Bears are talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:25 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Since RR decided to jump into this thread, and he is also on record as saying he does not respect the opinions of suburbanites, does this mean he will shut the fuck up and cease his incessant whining about the Bears when they move away from his beloved Lakefront?

Ballpark Frank wants someone "silenced" yet again because they don't happen to agree with him. Shocking! And Reader never told your dumbass to "Shut the Fuck Up". He told you that he doesn't respect YOUR opinion about the City of Chicago. A most wise choice indeed.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:25 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frankly idgaf about the McCaskey family team and I'll just continue enjoying watching you guys suffer. Real joy fwiw. :D

Whining? No. But carry the hell on :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

Whining? Yes.

For not caring about the McCaskey team, you sure post about them an awful lot :D :D :D

Still waiting for LTG to list all of the teams that suffered or went belly up when the team got a new stadium outside of city limits. I guarantee he won't list a damn thing.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:27 pm 

Rio de Janeiro wrote:
Chicago is unique in its city/suburbs dichotomy and rivalry in a way no other American city quite compares. Even if the Bears were moving to Evanston or Oak Park I think it’d be palatable, but this is a move to The Sprawl. And that’s just not going to cut it with the urban and near-suburban fan base. You can’t continue to call the Bears some indispensable part of Chicago’s identity when they’re playing home games that far out of town.

For reference FedEx Field is only twelve miles further from downtown Baltimore than Arlington Racecourse is from Chicago’s Loop. How many fans of the Commanders/Redskins are there left in Baltimore these days? You better believe ownership groups in Cincinnati, Nashville, Charlotte and especially Jacksonville are watching this Chicago thing very eagerly. It’s a chance to steal the third largest market for pro football out from under the Bears.

Titans aren't going anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next