It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Offseason
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 am 

Dewskie wrote:
Nas wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This board is hopeless.

I love your optimism. For me the off-season is a time to complain and demand perfection and training camp is the time to start drinking the kool-aid.

It's baffling to me because I have never thought of myself as an optimist so much as trying my best to be reasonable. I think it's a lot easier and lazier to simply jump to the conclusions. It takes a little effort to play devil's advocate and sometimes even question your own doubts.

I feel like the Bears need somebody to at least be patient with them, and it's not like I'm giving them any passes. I get fucking furious with the Bears and often am embarrassed to be associated with them at times, but I use these times of year to keep an open mind and try to see the best outcome. I feel happier in doing this.

Many others do not, and I should obviously know better when it comes to a few Bears luminaries around here that keep a strong fibrous diet rolling so that they can take a firm, rocky shit on every decision they make and every person they employ, because fuck 'em, they don't win. Lazy stuff.

You keep using that term "lazy" as if I haven't provided pages of draft analysis in the past supporting my opinions and that those opinions haven't been ultimately validated.

I would think people here would call me a Bears optimist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 am 

Dewskie wrote:
It's baffling to me because I have never thought of myself as an optimist so much as trying my best to be reasonable. I think it's a lot easier and lazier to simply jump to the conclusions. It takes a little effort to play devil's advocate and sometimes even question your own doubts.

I feel like the Bears need somebody to at least be patient with them, and it's not like I'm giving them any passes. I get fucking furious with the Bears and often am embarrassed to be associated with them at times, but I use these times of year to keep an open mind and try to see the best outcome. I feel happier in doing this.

Many others do not, and I should obviously know better when it comes to a few Bears luminaries around here that keep a strong fibrous diet rolling so that they can take a firm, rocky shit on every decision they make and every person they employ, because fuck 'em, they don't win. Lazy stuff.

We fired our last two coaches after 3 year or less of time on the job. I think it's fair to judge a GM on what they've done for the first 3 years. If he gets better then people will forget about the first 3 years but he isn't trending very highly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Dewskie wrote:

We fired our last two coaches after 3 year or less of time on the job. I think it's fair to judge a GM on what they've done for the first 3 years. If he gets better then people will forget about the first 3 years but he isn't trending very highly.

He spent a lot of money in free agency and this will be the 3rd (4th?) straight year the Bears will kick off training camp with 2 top-15 1st round picks. Bearsssss!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
Nas wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This board is hopeless.

I love your optimism. For me the off-season is a time to complain and demand perfection and training camp is the time to start drinking the kool-aid.

You keep using that term "lazy" as if I haven't provided pages of draft analysis in the past supporting my opinions and that those opinions haven't been ultimately validated.

Wasn't indirectly referencing you, GD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:36 am 

Dewskie wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
Nas wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This board is hopeless.

Wasn't indirectly referencing you, GD.

but Rick has also spent a lot of time explaining his position as well.

Disagreement with both sides supporting their positions isn't lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Dewskie wrote:

He also essentially cleaned house on the free agent class he signed last year due to lack of production.

I'm not as harsh on my view of Pace as others but as a team owner, the money he has flushed down the drain would be driving me crazy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
No match for Meredith. I'll avoid this thread for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:15 pm 
Oh come the fuck on Pace!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It's only a $5M gamble for a health risk. This is a bad decision. They just paid a guy a shitload of money for a similar risk.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Why would you not match it?

What am I missing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
They left a second round pick on the table over $1m and some change. That's about it for me and Ryan Pace.

Its one thing to make scouting mistakes and incorrect personnel decisions. Drafting Kevin White was a mistake, but they had a vision and plan to use him that made sense. Busts happen, they are bad to have happen but EVERYONE suffers them.

This is incompetence. A clear misunderstanding of the rules around free agency and the broader NFL market.

They did not know the RFA rules well enough to know that they were in a position to offer Meredith a higher tender and acquire draft capital in exchange, something I would've been opposed to at anything less than a 3rd rounder but ultimately accepted as a different of opinion.
--OR--
They did not read the market well enough to know that he would offered a $10m contract, which obviously means teams would've lined up to sign Meredith even if there was a pick attached.

Perhaps both.

Either way, this is about it for me and Ryan Pace. He may yet get the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pick correct, but these types of mistakes and errors in his 4th offseason as GM are unacceptable. Shades of the Rosie Colvin disaster, a gaffe that proved prophetic for the Angelo tenure that is shaping up to be very similar to Pace's. If the Bears are lucky Nagy will be half the coach Lovie was for the Bears. And even if he is, it is a near certainty the Bears will fire Nagy for the mistakes of an incompetent and unfocused front office.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?
Two NFL quality WR's is enough in the modern NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

They only have one.

Part of this is the continued infatuation with Kevin White and the desperation to see him succeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

The Bears would have had the most expensive receiving corps in the NFL.

Too much money allotted to one position.

If Taylor Gabriel works out as a WR, and Robinson is healthy, this too shall pass.

I'm anything but sold on Taylor Gabriel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

You cannot say you were too concerned about the health of Cam Meredith while heading into training camp with KEVIN WHITE as your presumptive #2 WR.

Again, I think there is something fishy here that of all the teams to capitalize on this retarded move its the Saints.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

If Taylor Gabriel works out as a WR, and Robinson is healthy, this too shall pass.

And whoever signs Beckham Jr. will take that mantle immediately. If the Bears let Meredith walk to avoid the temporary distinction of "most expensive WR" then they are concerned about the wrong things.

And if the idea was to let Meredith go anyways, TENDER HIM SO YOU CAN GET A DRAFT PICK.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm 

America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

They only have one.

Part of this is the continued infatuation with Kevin White and the desperation to see him succeed.
Pace made another dumb move if Gabriel isn't at least NFL quality.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 pm 

In advance of a draft where they were already going to have to fill more holes than they had picks with which to fill them, the Bears just added another position they are desperate for help at.

What the fuck are they doing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

They only have one.

Pace made another dumb move if Gabriel isn't at least NFL quality.

I misread you. I thought you meant "quality NFL WR" rather than "NFL quality WR", those are different things. Gabriel is the latter, not the former.

I disagree that you only need two WR who actually belong in the league on your roster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm 

America wrote:
I misread you. I thought you meant "quality NFL WR" rather than "NFL quality WR", those are different things. Gabriel is the latter, not the former.

I disagree that you only need two WR who actually belong in the league on your roster.
It was poor word choice by me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 pm 

The Bears are an Allen Robinson setback away from having a worse group of WR in 2018 than they did in 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

I guess if you are reading the tea leaves about Nagy's offense based upon FA spending they will be using the TE as the primary receiver in the middle of the field rather than the slot receiver. Gabriel will be going deep and Robinson will handle mid range outside.

Meredith's best work was in the slot (hey, hey) and they are deemphasizing the position, as a speculation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

They just made this exact same mistake with Sitton. Quit getting rid of useful players when you have no idea how you are going to replace them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

What am I missing?

Then you place a 2nd round tender on him. At worst you get him for 1 yr for less than $3M.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

America wrote:
The Bears are an Allen Robinson setback away from having a worse group of WR in 2018 than they did in 2017.

That's really depressing. The 2017 group may have been the worst I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm 

Cam is kind of like Alshon in that his stats are replaceable by a good amount of players in the league. I hope he is not like Alshon in that Pace doesn't sign one of those players to replace him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Cam is kind of like Alshon in that his stats are replaceable by a good amount of players in the league. I hope he is not like Alshon in that Pace doesn't sign one of those players to replace him.

When you're trying to develop a young QB you give him as many quality weapons as necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 pm 

Pace creates more holes than an emerald ash borer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Maybe Nagy wasn't a fan. That's all I can figure out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Maybe Nagy wasn't a fan. That's all I can figure out.

It sounded like Pace loved him until now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next