It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Pace
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Not saying anybody here specifically does this, but I think there’s a tendency within the fan base to deem a pick successful if the guy ends up starting.

Have a scroll through the past 6 drafts:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /draft.htm

How many of these guys have been integral to the Bears “success” during Pace’s tenure?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Not saying anybody here specifically does this, but I think there’s a tendency within the fan base to deem a pick successful if the guy ends up starting.

How many of these guys have been integral to the Bears “success” during Pace’s tenure?

Kmet
Johnson
Mooney

Montgomery

Roquan
Daniels
Miller
Wims

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky
Jackson
Cohen

Floyd (different team)
Whitehair
Kwiatkoski
Howard
Bush

Goldman
Grasu (different team)
Amos

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nas wrote:

Floyd (different team)
Grasu (different team)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Might be able to say this about Mitch soon as well!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:

Floyd (different team)
Grasu (different team)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Might be able to say this about Mitch soon as well!

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

Any pick after the 1st round that becomes a starter should probably be viewed as a successful pick.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:

Any pick after the 1st round that becomes a starter should probably be viewed as a successful pick.
Adam Shaheen is a successful pick then huh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Adam Shaheen is a successful pick then huh?

Shaheen has never started more than 8 games in a season, so, no.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

What if they’re only starting because the rest of the roster blows?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

What if they’re only starting because the rest of the roster blows?

Idk. I'm sure there's cases where you can argue otherwise but I think it's a good rule of thumb. It's hard to find a starter in the draft. It's usually considered a good draft if you can find 2-3.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Oh, so now its a starter for more than half a season. Any other goalposts you want to move, Favretimeguy? ;)

I agree with your overall premise, but sometimes a complete shitbag player may start 10-12 games on a bad team due to injury(ies). That doesn't necessarily make him a good draft pick IMO.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:36 pm 

The Bears were 28-20 the last 3 years. There has to be some reason the Bears have at least been a good team over that time period. We know the bad moves by Pace, and there are a lot. What saved him? Is it truly the Mack trade?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:37 pm 

Brick wrote:

The Bears were 28-20 the last 3 years. There has to be some reason the Bears have at least been a good team over that time period. We know the bad moves by Pace, and there are a lot. What saved him? Is it truly the Mack trade?

Aside from QB, he seems to be competent in the FA market.

Last edited by This Ends in Antioch on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
There has to be some reason that the Bears are 42-54 and have not won a playoff game under Pace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:
There has to be some reason that the Bears are 42-54 and have not won a playoff game under Pace.
I used the last 3 years because the Bears have clearly improved from when he took over. What is the reason for this improvement? It takes a while for a GM to turnover a bad roster so it isn't out of the question to lessen the blame at the start. The hiring of Nagy is an easy time to divide the Bears from "New GM rebuild" to "let's win" though it's fair to point out that they weren't good for the 3 years of the first coach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Mack trade may ultimately be his worst decision. Mack has been stealing since his first season and it appears that he can't be dominant without being "healthy".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:
I used the last 3 years because the Bears have clearly improved from when he took over. What is the reason for this improvement? It takes a while for a GM to turnover a bad roster so it isn't out of the question to lessen the blame at the start. The hiring of Nagy is an easy time to divide the Bears from "New GM rebuild" to "let's win" though it's fair to point out that they weren't good for the 3 years of the first coach.

The record, overall, is an improvement. But when you really break it down, it was the first 10 weeks or so 2018 that has been different. There were a couple really lean years under Pace/Fox, but overall they have been mediocre. Outside of a few games with Nagy, its basically been the same thing. Good defense, middle of the road at best offense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Oh, so now its a starter for more than half a season. Any other goalposts you want to move, Favretimeguy? ;)

I agree with your overall premise, but sometimes a complete shitbag player may start 10-12 games on a bad team due to injury(ies). That doesn't necessarily make him a good draft pick IMO.

I thought it was a given "becomes a starter" means becomes a full time starter, not spot starts a few times a year

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Brick wrote:
312player wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Something I heard on a podcast today that probably isn't a coincidence, the Saints have been significantly better at drafting ever since Ryan Pace left them as the head scout.

On Wednesday I heard Bernstein saying that the Bears had the 3rd best draft results (behind the Saints and Chiefs) over the last 5(?) years based on some writers scoring system. Even the writer didn’t seem to think it would turn out that way when he began looking at the history. I wasn’t fully paying attention but the scoring was based on who they drafted vs the next guy picked at the same position. So they got killed on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky but gained on guys like Montgomery and Eddie Jackson.

Seems an odd way to evaluate a draft.

Pace's big problem isn't really what he does when he actually makes a pick. It's that he makes a lot of stupid trades involving losing draft picks. Even if he stays at 3 with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky, it's probably not viewed as a terrible pick. He missed on Mahomes but so did the whole league who let a future HOF QB fall to 10. Watson-Trubisky seems pretty pointless to discuss now. It's not a victory for Pace but he lucked himself into a tie there.

You can't really hold the whole league to the same standard as Pace( who absolutely needed a QB, was in the best position to get one and got one)

You can't give Pace a tie either on Watson, it is a huge loss.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:

You used 3 years because one season skews the data. There has to be some reason they haven’t been a good team the last 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Nas wrote:
The Mack trade may ultimately be his worst decision. Mack has been stealing since his first season and it appears that he can't be dominant without being "healthy".

I'm pretty disappointed in Mack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:

You used 3 years because one season skews the data. There has to be some reason they haven’t been a good team the last 2 seasons.

The classic sample size argument.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:10 pm 

Sample size is undefeated in such arguments. Not a bad way to go

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Nas wrote:

He does his job, they overpaid and whiffed on Quinn and Floyd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:

and the arrow is pointing down. The team is getting worse, not better. "making the playoffs last season" is a joke. They're not good...it's fairly obvious from simply watching the games.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Brick wrote:

The Bears have not been a good team over the past three years. They were very good in 2018 and mediocre in 2019 and 2020.

Again, a GM who fields one winning team in six seasons is not a success.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:23 am 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:

and the arrow is pointing down. The team is getting worse, not better. "making the playoffs last season" is a joke. They're not good...it's fairly obvious from simply watching the games.

Exactly. There are no foundational players on this team. Not one player can be considered elite at his position. The Pace regime has no long-term vision for building the roster.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Mack was scary good the first season with the Bears but he's no longer a game changer, and if the defense is just ok, the team won't be any good. Vegas has the Bears over/under on wins at 7 games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:47 am 
1000 CLUB

blackhawksfan wrote:
Mack was scary good the first season with the Bears but he's no longer a game changer, and if the defense is just ok, the team won't be any good. Vegas has the Bears over/under on wins at 7 games.

The two best players on the defense, Mack and Hicks, are 30 and 31 respectively.

There aren't any rising dominant players emerging behind them.

The Bears are getting worse, not better.

As a result, my guess is that Pace will try to save his job by trading up in the draft and selecting a quarterback in the first round.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Nas wrote:

During Mack's first season with the Bears he was using a pretty devastating inside power rush regularly to keep OT's off balance. He rarely has done that the past few years, not sure why, but he mostly uses outside speed rushes which creates a longer path to the QB.

Teams regularly skewer the Bears with bootleg plays because the OLB's almost always come upfield and lose contain opening up easy lanes for the QB. The Rams did this repeatedly last to them to the point you really wondered if it was scheme or if the OLB's are just making business decisions, hunting sacks/pressures while eschewing the more mundane/physically challenging/team oriented assignment of setting the edge.

Would expect this type of play to be much worse under a young/unproven DC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

The two best players on the defense, Mack and Hicks, are 30 and 31 respectively.

There aren't any rising dominant players emerging behind them.

The Bears are getting worse, not better.

As a result, my guess is that Pace will try to save his job by trading up in the draft and selecting a quarterback in the first round.

I think Roquan Smith has shown himself to be dominant and is only three years in the league.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next