It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
In many ways Bears fans tend to place way too much value on the LB position, if you look at the recent history of the franchise you fill find it full of great to HOF level LB's, but short on wins. If having one of the best LB's in football, while having one of the worst QB1s, was the key to success, the franchise would have numerous playoff and super bowl experiences, but that is obviously not the case. The ILB position is becoming almost like the RB position where you need good, but not great players to win, you cannot allocate too much cap space to those positions because you need it to pay your franchise QB.

The team is going nowhere for the next 2-5 years, so if you can find a GM that will overpay for guys like Smith and Quinn you take the deals and start stockpiling assets to go after a franchise QB1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'd trade him asap, I don't care if we only get a 3rd rounder.This team will win 4 games this year, 5 max.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:54 am 

312player wrote:
I'd trade him asap, I don't care if we only get a 3rd rounder.This team will win 4 games this year, 5 max.

i think he's worth a 1st round pick. maybe not high 1st, but somewhere... 2nd at worst. if we only get a 3rd for him thats a bad trade.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -interest/

This isn't going to help him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 pm 

Omg. What the fuck do we do now? Can't trade him, but if we force him to play he won't be any good....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
Omg. What the fuck do we do now? Can't trade him, but if we force him to play he won't be any good....

If he wants a trade, then he has to hire an NFLPA registered agent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I can't imagine that the Bears would want Roquan to play today, but....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
billypootons wrote:
notes app..... you know things are serious when it's a notes app tweet.

not great, but if you can get a first plus from some bad organization that wouldnt be the end of the world for a team that likely isnt competing for 2+ years

If Poles can get a first and a second or third for Roquan, he should make that deal immediately.

We'll see what happens. Smith has to play out his contract and then Poles can tag him after that.

I don't think the Bears can get a 1st rounder for Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Augie wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the fan base comes down with this. Up to now, Poles can do no wrong.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
More frustrations:
— The backloaded offer, which wouldn’t make him the highest paid in actual salary, included proposed de-escalators that not a single player out of the 94 non-QB, $15M+ contracts has. He was offended.
— The deal would hurt the LB market as a whole.

Who is saying Poles can do no wrong? I haven't heard that. I think most fans realize this is a tear down year and they are setting themselves up for next off-season with a lot of cap space and a high first round pick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
They would be lucky if they got a 2nd rounder for him...he plays a non-premium position and Bears have zero leverage.

Actually, the Bears have lots of leverage here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Poles is a dumbass who botched handling Foles and messed up on a free agent signing. I'm inclined to believe the fallout with Smith is more about Poles being incompetent rather than Poles executing some sort of strategy.

He's gutting the roster and likely doesn't like the QB. It wouldn't make sense to pay Roquan record money if he's going to reset the franchise with a new QB next year.

In any event, he doesn't have to do anything about Roquan right now. If Roquan wants to sit, let him. I doubt Poles would even be upset about that since it will help enhance the team's 2023 draft position.

What evidence is there that Poles doesn't like the QB? I would think that it's more likely that if you're taking this job, part of the calculation is that Fields can be the guy, not that you're going to replace him. However, with a high pick next off-season likely, especially if Fields doesn't play well, that can change quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Did the local reporters get scooped again?

Local reporters suck in this market. They don't have any deep or inside knowledge of the team in most aspects. They certainly don't break news.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Augie wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Augie wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the fan base comes down with this. Up to now, Poles can do no wrong.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
More frustrations:
— The backloaded offer, which wouldn’t make him the highest paid in actual salary, included proposed de-escalators that not a single player out of the 94 non-QB, $15M+ contracts has. He was offended.
— The deal would hurt the LB market as a whole.

Up to now Poles can do no wrong?

Have you even read the threads around here? :lol:

I'm not talking about the 5 people here that hate Poles, but the hundreds on Twitter who think he's a king and can do no wrong. So far, they are still coming down on Poles side and telling Roquan to get an agent.

Roquan should get an agent, but that doesn't mean Poles can do no wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
He mentions not being able to talk to the McCaskey family. Why would they talk to him? That is the GMs job.

According to Holmes/Bernstein, this was a great move by Roquan to attempt to divide the organization. Personally, I really don't think the Bears organization is basing their response/internal strategy based on Roquan's comments. Even if he does eventually speak with the McCaskey's, I'm sure they will tell him that Poles will make the final decisions on players.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Jeremy Fowler of ESPN polled several executives, coaches, and players around the league to gauge who they believe are the best off-ball linebackers in football. Darius Leonard led the way at #1, with Micah Parsons already behind him at #2. One would be prepared to see Smith nowhere on the list, but he was nestled at #5. The praise for him was high too.

“BEST OVERALL LB IN FOOTBALL IN MY OPINION,” AN NFL COORDINATOR SAID. “OTHERS MIGHT BE SLIGHTLY BETTER IN ONE OF THE FOUR FACETS OF THE GAME — RUN GAME, PASS COVERAGE, BLITZER, LEADERSHIP — BUT THAT KID IS TOP FOUR IN EVERY CATEGORY.”

WHAT HURTS SMITH? WHERE HE PLAYS. LEAGUEWIDE EXPECTATIONS ARE LOW FOR CHICAGO IN 2022.

“IF HE WAS IN SOMEWHERE LIKE DALLAS, HE’D BE CELEBRATED AS MAYBE THE BEST,” A PRO BOWL NFL PLAYER SAID. “HE DOESN’T GET THE CREDIT HE PROBABLY DESERVES.”

I don't doubt he would get more attention if the Bears were better or if he played on a team like Dallas, but is he a top ILB or not? There seems to be dispute as to how dominant he actually is. If he's a top LB, pay him like one. If he hasn't performed like one and the team doesn't think he'll reach that top, then they should consider moving him now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

KDdidit wrote:
Remember when DK Metcalf and hundreds of other players demanded a trade and ended up signing new contracts and didn’t get traded. Sure, he can still be traded and it’s something to talk about and all, but it could be a nothingburger.

This is still the most likely scenario - he signs a long-term with the Bears, but we have to go through the process first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
How involved do agents typically get in trade talks? Bernstein suggested that Poles should tell Roquan to go out himself and find a trade if he wants one. LoHo then said Roquan (who has no agent) should send a DM to Jerry Jones, telling him he's available. :lol:

I do think agents will begin making phones to gauge interest in an unofficial way, but I don't think they are involved in coming up with compensation. That show is almost all speculation on every topic that they over analyze and pretend to have inside information.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Just trade his ass.

Don't get me wrong. He's good. I like him. But we're gonna suck for the next 2 years with or without him. He's at a position where he's not a huge difference maker.

People say you can get a first for him. I don't think so.

But I would take a 2nd and a 4th.

Bank the money you would have paid him for when you are ready to win. Then go grab somebody like him at that point.

This isn't a rebuild like a MLB team. It's a roster reset. They have $100+ in cap space next off-season, and their high draft picks back for the first time in years. If Fields is their QB, this team can reset quickly. If he's not, this will get more painful, but Poles won't get 5 years to turn this around. He'll have 2-3 years before he's on the hot seat. If this is a 5 or 6 win team next year, questions will start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
The saga gets more bizarre by the day.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-warns-team ... 09783.html

Quote:
Report: NFL warns teams after unknown person made calls about Roquan Smith trade

If you foresaw the Roquan Smith trade drama taking this kind of turn, consider buying yourself a lottery ticket tonight. Because the latest news about the Chicago Bears linebacker has pushed the story from "unexpected but normal" to "really weird" with alarming speed.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported on Monday that an unknown person who isn't a certified agent has called several clubs to discuss a possible Smith trade. It's not known if this is someone associated with Smith or an unrelated person.

Pelissero also reported that the NFL Management Council sent a warning to all teams, reminding them that taking a call with a player under contract or their agent is tampering, and they're prepared to dole out serious punishment if anyone breaks the rules.

Why does Smith want a trade?
Smith, who was picked eighth overall by the Bears in the 2018 draft, recently requested a trade. He released a statement to the media detailing why he wants out of Chicago. Largely, Smith wants out because he feels like the Bears new front office, headed by Ryan Poles, doesn't value him. He felt disrespected by their "take it or leave it" contract offer that he considered to be bad for him and the "entire linebacker market."

Despite playing for the Bears, a team that has spent the last few years struggling in a variety of ways, Smith is a standout at linebacker. He's making just over $9 million this year (which is the final year of his rookie deal), so it's understandable that he wants a new contract.

But that presents a problem for Smith: he doesn't have a lot of (or really any) leverage. He's under contract this year, and could be franchise tagged next year. Unless the Bears think they could get a decent return for him, there's no reason to trade him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

“Mr. Omni is prohibited from negotiating Player Contracts or discussing potential trades on behalf of any NFL player or prospective player, or assisting or advising such negotiations.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:59 am 

nothing gets a quicker response than non lawyers trying to horn in on lawyers' business.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
nothing gets a quicker response than non lawyers trying to horn in on lawyers' business.

St Omni prob asking for 1/10th of what a licensed agent demands

Always wondered why these guys who are "representing themselves" don't just get agents on the side. Well no duh, that's exactly what they do

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Parkins made a good point yesterday regarding why Roquan might be okay in negotiating his deal, in that there is probably a range of only $5m or so from a good deal to a bad deal (for his position). Lamar Jackson, on the other hand, could really be fucking himself since the range on an elite QB could be $100m or more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Parkins made a good point yesterday regarding why Roquan might be okay in negotiating his deal, in that there is probably a range of only $5m or so from a good deal to a bad deal (for his position). Lamar Jackson, on the other hand, could really be fucking himself since the range on an elite QB could be $100m or more.

yeah, but trying to save pennies when millions are on the line sounds like something one of my relatives would do

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Yes, I would argue doing something that may cost you $5m to potentially save yourself some percentage of $5m is not very smart.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

I don't get it though.. do agents have minimum fees? Isn't it all just percentages? It's like a bar saying you must spend $20 to use a credit card, but I can go to a gas station and buy a 75 cent candy bar no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
IkeSouth wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I don't get it though.. do agents have minimum fees? Isn't it all just percentages? It's like a bar saying you must spend $20 to use a credit card, but I can go to a gas station and buy a 75 cent candy bar no problem.

A quick google tells me NFL agents can’t charge more than 3%. So in Parkins’ scenario, Roquon was willing to cost himself $5m in order to save about $3m (assuming the Bears’ contract was roughly in line with market).

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:57 pm 

so he shops for contracts like i play the stock market

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Not sure how much of the stuff out there is really true, but it seems a trade may be a good idea because Roquan Smith appears to be very fragile mentally, he easily could drift significantly, and reading the Bears are apparently trying to put all kinds of off field behavior qualifiers into the contract, do not forget he had some type of undisclosed "issue" a while back.

Plus, who the hell picks Saint Omni as your pretend name, wouldn't you go with something like "Mister Money" if you were trying to convince a dullard like Roquan Smith that being named Saint Omni gives you some type of contract negotiation acumen?

The sad thing here is that Roquan Smith needs an experienced agent more than most due to his seemingly fragile mental state, as some of the articles say he is a..."rather immature" individual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next