It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So would I. But a bad half a season doesn't mean that Cutler is no longer, or can no longer be a franchise QB.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:00 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If its such a fundamental flaw, why isn't Lovie on his ass to correct it?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure that Lovie Smith is attempting to coach him but ultimately the player has to figure it out. Rex Grossman never could. Hopefully Jay can.
Chris in St. Charles wrote:
Jay had a great season last year, even if he had flaws. He should just play like that.

As I said, maybe Brandon Marshall was the reason why he had a good season last year.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
No, I think he is saying that "17 interceptions is not good!"

And here all along, I thought it was! :roll:

You are becoming a caricature of yourself here. It is becoming abundantly clear that you read my posts and see "Jay Cutler sucks! Jay Cutler sucks! Jay Cutler sucks!" and respond accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So, in other words... Jay needs to play better?

No. The point is that Jay Cutler needs to change how he plays like I said all along. This is not a slump. This is not an aberration. This is the reason that Josh McDaniels had no faith in Jay Cutler. This is why he tried to trade for the less talented Cassel and then traded for the less talented Kyle Orton + a bunch of draft picks. His flaws are being highlighted here or they were hidden with Brandon Marshall but they are still there. That's the funny thing. Everyone credits Brandon Marshall for making Kyle Orton look like an above average QB. Maybe Brandon Marshall made Jay Cutler look much better than he is?

This is the point of this whole thing. This isn't a temporary problem that will solve itself by Jay "playing better". It is a fundamental flaw in his game that will continue to keep Cutler from being a "franchise QB".

I didn't follow this saga but I thought McDaniels wanted Cassell because he was familiar with him from their days in NE? Did he say he had no faith in Cutler?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
"Jay Cutler sucks! Jay Cutler sucks! Jay Cutler sucks!" and respond accordingly.

You beat around the bush a little, but ultimately that is what you are saying.

I'm the caricature, but you just compared Cutler to Rex Grossman.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
As I said, maybe Brandon Marshall was the reason why he had a good season last year.

Or maybe Jay was the reason all the no namers on Denver are all known across the league. And maybe Jay is a little responsible for Johnny Knox becoming the first rookie since Payton to score a tuddy in his first 4 games.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

I don't know what the definition of a franchise QB is. What I do know, is Jay Cutler will be our QB for the next several years. And he needs to play better than he has thus far. Those are two things I know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

I don't know what the definition of a franchise QB is. What I do know, is Jay Cutler will be our QB for the next several years. And he needs to play better than he has thus far. Those are two things I know.

:lol: Thanks, Dan Fouts :P

Well, I think the team that puts the ball in the endzone more times than the other team has a real good chance to win this football game

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:13 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
I didn't follow this saga but I thought McDaniels wanted Cassell because he was familiar with him from their days in NE? Did he say he had no faith in Cutler?

I believe he had no faith in Cutler because after the trade he made no attempt to rectify the situation. A visit and apology and a few extra dollars in bonus money and Jay Cutler is in Denver right now. He's never going to come out and say it but his actions pretty much show what he thought. If he thought he could win with Cutler he's not doing this.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'm the caricature, but you just compared Cutler to Rex Grossman.

I said that Rex Grossman was unable to overcome his belief that he can make a throw regardless of the difficulty. Jay Cutler will need to do that or this will continue.

It would be like if I said that both Frank C. and Einstein were dropped on their heads as a baby. Albert Einstein was able to overcome it. Hopefully Frank C. can.

I'm not saying you are Einstein. I'm saying you have something in common with him.

Last edited by Brick on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Rex Grossman had to make sure he didn't fumble the snap first.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 pm 

Rick - You argue a lot. And sometimes you really get in to it, and I can tell you passionately believe what you are saying. This doesn't feel like one of those times. With this it feels more like you are bored, and simply looking for a form of entertainment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
cutler doesnt suck, but giving up all they did for him to come in here and get his ass rocked week after week doesnt make any sense, unless the plan is to go crazy in free agency in lieu of all the draft choices they peddled away between this trade and the adams trade. the thing is, i dont think this team would be any better or worse with orton. cutler has won a couple games forcing the issue, and lost a couple games forcing the issue. orton wasnt a bad qb for the bears last year, so i dont think it is that surprising he is doing well with denver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 pm 

Rick - You argue a lot. And sometimes you really get in to it, and I can tell you passionately believe what you are saying. This doesn't feel like one of those times. With this it feels more like you are bored, and simply looking for a form of entertainment.

I do believe it and I think it is the reality of the situation right now. Many people who argued against my questions about Jay Cutler now seem to at least see the merit of them.

I'm not saying Jay Cutler is a bust or that the trade was bad but right now Jay Cutler hasn't met anyone's expectations even the people who seem to live in the fantasy world where this type of play is acceptable for any QB.

Just remember that this is Cutlers fourth year and at the age that is supposed to be the "prime" of his career. He seems to be looked at like a rookie here when in fact he's played in more games than Rex Grossman and is playing equal to or worse than Rex Grossman ever did. With how critical I was of Rex it would be hypocritical of me to not view Jay Cutler with the same critical eye.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm not saying Jay Cutler is a bust or that the trade was bad but right now Jay Cutler hasn't met anyone's expectations even the people who seem to live in the fantasy world where this type of play is acceptable for any QB.

He isn't a bust, nor does the trade look bad. Jay just needs to play better!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

He isn't a bust, nor does the trade look bad. Jay just needs to play better!!!!!

All Busts need to play better. Thats why theyre busts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Just remember that this is Cutlers fourth year and at the age that is supposed to be the "prime" of his career.

I don't really get this statement. What supports it? Nobody can have a bad year from this point on in his career?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm 

Nas wrote:
I'm with you Rick when it comes to Cutler's play this year but you continue to lose me with your arguement that Cutler has always played this poorly. That couldn't be further from the truth. If I'm not mistaken he has NEVER thrown this many interceptions at any level.

At least in the NFL, his problem has always been ball security and inconsistent play. He's playing worse than he ever did in Denver right now but that was the reputation he had in Denver.

I think it's being exposed as a larger problem here than in Denver because he doesn't have Brandon Marshall there turning his interceptions into incompletions. It is possible that as Jay Cutler gets more time without Marshall he'll learn what he can and can't do. I hope so because he's going to have to adjust to the talent level of his team just like a franchise QB would.

That's why I say that he's had problems like this his whole career. It is just more obvious when Devin Hester is on the other end instead of Brandon Marshall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Nas wrote:
I'm with you Rick when it comes to Cutler's play this year but you continue to lose me with your arguement that Cutler has always played this poorly. That couldn't be further from the truth. If I'm not mistaken he has NEVER thrown this many interceptions at any level.

His NFL high is 18, which was last year playing 16 games with 616 teams. His Vanderbilt high came in his sophomore year where he threw 13 picks in 12 games with 327 attempts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 pm 

If you look up (I don't have the time) Cutler's Fumbles/INT's per attempt, it is only a handful of attempts (I think it's 5, IIRC) less than Orton's. And not surprisingly, he has more tuddies per attempt than Orton too.

And the only reason I say that is because everyone seems to think Orton is a God at protecting the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I hope so because he's going to have to adjust to the talent level of his team just like a franchise QB would.

:shock: So, he should start playing worse?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm 

If you look up (I don't have the time) Cutler's Fumbles/INT's per attempt, it is only a handful of attempts (I think it's 5, IIRC) less than Orton's. And not surprisingly, he has more tuddies per attempt than Orton too.

Orton wasn't protecting the ball well early on especially in his rookie year. He has gotten much better now.

In the past two years, Orton has 32 total touchdowns and 19 turnovers.
Jay Cutler has *42* total touchdowns 37 turnovers.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I don't understand how you took that as what I said. I'm saying the same throws that worked for Brandon Marshall don't work for Devin Hester and he needs to realize that Hester isn't going to be able to bail you out if you throw it into double coverage and it's more likely to be intercepted.

Last edited by Brick on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Orton wasn't protecting the ball well early on especially in his rookie year. He has gotten much better now.

In the past two years, Orton has 32 total touchdowns and 19 turnovers.
Jay Cutler has 39 total touchdowns 37 turnovers.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I don't understand how you took that as what I said. I'm saying the same throws that worked for Brandon Marshall don't work for Devin Hester and he needs to realize that Hester isn't going to be able to bail you out if you throw it into double coverage and it's more likely to be intercepted.

I'm looking at it per attempt. How many more attempts did Cutler have?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 pm 

Kyle Orton has 752 attempts. Jay Cutler has 954 attempts.

Orton: 1 turnover every 39.5 attempts
Cutler: 1 turnover every 25.7 attempts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kyle Orton has 752 attempts. Jay Cutler has 954 attempts.

Orton: 1 turnover every 39.5 attempts
Cutler: 1 turnover every 25.7 attempts

And what about touchdowns?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:16 pm 

Oh I missed, that this was only the last 2 years. Obviously this years numbers will make Cutler look bad, since he isn't playing well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm 

Orton: Touchdown every 23.5 attempts.
Cutler: Touchdown every 22.7 attempts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Orton: Touchdown every 23.5 attempts.
Cutler: Touchdown every 22.7 attempts.

Cutler does need to play better, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Rick I believe you are wasting your time, but it's a valiant effort nonetheless.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Rick I believe you are wasting your time, but it's a valiant effort nonetheless.

He certainly is, because the end result is this:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He certainly is, because the end result is this:

Exactly... and this.

rogers park bryan wrote:
All Busts need to play better. Thats why theyre busts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:49 pm 

It's just good to see that Chris and Frank now believe that the play of Jay Cutler is unacceptable and needs to be better. No excuses. No blame on other players.

That was the whole point of the thread so I guess it is settled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:53 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's just good to see that Chris and Frank now believe that the play of Jay Cutler is unacceptable and needs to be better. No excuses. No blame on other players.

That was the whole point of the thread so I guess it is settled.

Not even close. This thread will last as long as Cutler is in the NFL. 100 pages...at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next