It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: With the #3 Pick...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Draft the best football player on the board at that time. If that is a QB great, but if it is not then please do not reach for a QB.

You have to overdraft for a qb. We can't wait for the number 1 pick and Andrew Luck. That happens once a decade.

Virtually every team we strive to be has one position player that is great to hall of fame great. When you have the third pick in the draft you don't pass on a qb when you desperately need one.

I can't believe we have to watch Green Bay have two hall of fame quarterbacks and people want the guy who is a national name because he is a great kick returner.

So no matter how the QB is graded out they should take them with the 3rd pick? Lets say the kid from NC is the highest ranking QB on your board and he is #20. You have several other highly ranked players at other positions to choose from, but you still go for the QB?

I just fail to see how that is smart.

Agreed. I haven't been on this board for too long, and I don't post much, but I feel like I argue this with Rick every year.

Nothing -nothing- will set a team back more than over drafting a QB. When you're in the Bears position you can't afford to throw away high value picks. You have to do your best to hit on them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Seacrest wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
RFDC wrote:
If they decide to not go QB with the top pick then lineman is always a good place to go.

A gutless choice is an O. linemen because it's the safest choice when you draft that high.
I prefer they look at the defensive backfield with that pick because the guy's they have now are not getting it done though these Ref's with their touchy calls are part of the problem in the NFL especially on PI calls.

Because it has worked out so poorly for the Cowboys Jimmy?

look again. I'm saying within the first 5 picks,don't waste it on a O-Lineman and the Cowboys didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:47 pm 

NME wrote:
Nothing -nothing- will set a team back more than over drafting a QB.
Not drafting a quarterback sets you back more. At least if you draft a quarterback you have a chance he becomes elite. Put together a list of the top 10 franchises you would most like to be. Almost all of them have great to hall of fame quarterbacks. What gives you the best chance of getting one of those?

NME wrote:
When you're in the Bears position you can't afford to throw away high value picks. You have to do your best to hit on them.
The Bears fan base collectively went crazy over an average Jay Cutler and threw away a bunch of picks for him and yet now it would be a problem to get one of the two best quarterbacks in a draft when you desperately need one for the future?

But hey, maybe drafting the guy who is well known because he returns kicks in a league doing everything they can to lessen the value of kick returners!

I don't get why everyone is so afraid of drafting and failing with a first round quarterback. Yeah, you may suck but you may suck with any player you draft and no position has the upside of a quarterback.

Since Jim McMahon in 1982, the Bears have drafted a quarterback in the first round three times. How well has that worked out for them? This was while for most of that time they had no good long term answer at the position.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
If you are bad enough to be in the top 5, you don't have a QB or you just drafted one. You will continue to be bad and continue to get high picks as your QB develops. If the QB does not develop, you still have high picks that hopefully have developed...and you'll still suck, so you take another QB after 3 years.

I think we can agree that the Bears rookies & 2nd year guys have been the only encouraging and enjoyable part of watching this year.

I want DeShone Kizer. He runs an actual pro offense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
If you are bad enough to be in the top 5, you don't have a QB or you just drafted one. You will continue to be bad and continue to get high picks as your QB develops. If the QB does not develop, you still have high picks that hopefully have developed...and you'll still suck, so you take another QB after 3 years.

I think we can agree that the Bears rookies & 2nd year guys have been the only encouraging and enjoyable part of watching this year.

I agree with you that if it is going to be a QB it should be Kizer. He was great before he got coached up by Kelly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
good dolphin wrote:

I agree with you that if it is going to be a QB it should be Kizer. He was great before he got coached up by Kelly.

Wait until Loggains gets a hold of him. MVP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Wait until Loggains gets a hold of him. MVP.

I would like to see Loggans gone and quickly scoop up Mike Mc Coy is the Chargers fire him

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:11 pm 

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky with 2 picks, 1 a pick 6.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I got North Carolina +3 to keep me interested in seeing what Trubinsky is all about. He just took a dumbass sack for a loss of 15 yards. Plenty of time to throw it away. 25 to the 40. Out of field goal range for the punt. So far, I see nothing special through 51 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:52 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I got North Carolina +3 to keep me interested in seeing what Trubinsky is all about. He just took a dumbass sack for a loss of 15 yards. Plenty of time to throw it away. 25 to the 40. Out of field goal range for the punt. So far, I see nothing special through 51 minutes.

I thought the same thing. I'm not sure how good Stanford's D is but he hasn't looked like someone who is rising up the draft boards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Didn't catch the game but I've seen him a few times this year, outside of torching Lovie he's looked pretty pedestrian, a project that has no business getting taken in the first 20 picks( and he's the top college QB) that's why there is no way in hell the Bears should reach for a QB this year in the first 5 picks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The Bears fan base collectively went crazy over an average Jay Cutler and threw away a bunch of picks for him and yet now it would be a problem to get one of the two best quarterbacks in a draft when you desperately need one for the future?

Let's walk back a little of this revisionist history. Sure Cutler has been a disappointment with the Bears, and has been average at best, but the year before the Bears acquired him from Denver he completed 62% of his passes for 4500+ yards with 25 TDs (18 Ints).....all at the age of 25. That's not an average QB, that's a really good season from a young QB that you expect to build on.

Granted that didn't happen, but lets not act like the Bears and Bears fans went bonkers over acquiring a Ryan Fitzpatrick type.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:10 pm 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's walk back a little of this revisionist history. Sure Cutler has been a disappointment with the Bears, and has been average at best, but the year before the Bears acquired him from Denver he completed 62% of his passes for 4500+ yards with 25 TDs (18 Ints).....all at the age of 25. That's not an average QB, that's a really good season from a young QB that you expect to build on.

Granted that didn't happen, but lets not act like the Bears and Bears fans went bonkers over acquiring a Ryan Fitzpatrick type.
You are choosing the wrong guy to argue with what Cutler was at the time of the trade. If you thought he was anything but average that is on you. He had a lot of work to do to improve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You are choosing the wrong guy to argue with what Cutler was at the time of the trade. If you thought he was anything but average that is on you. He had a lot of work to do to improve.

He was what you and I thought he was. No one wanted to listen.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'll help you out above...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm 

Thanks for letting me know his age.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You're advocating that the Bears spend the #3 pick on a 21 year old QB with a spotty record at best versus 18 and 19 year olds.

Yet the Bears sent the 18th pick, a future #1 and a pile of shit for a 25 year old who in the year prior tore up the top 1% of football defenders and you claim that it was a folly trade?

Again, we all agree the Cutler deal didn't work out as planned, but given the scenarios above, most anyone would rather have the 25 year old deal than drafting your run of the mill Bortles, Russell, Bradford, Manuel, etc.

Especially in light of the hauls that the Rams and the Titans got for their top picks, the Bears made a stellar deal. Again, it didn't work out like everyone hoped, but the trade for the 25 year old who dominated the AFC West is the better odds on play than drafting the guy who lit up Coastal Carolina.

So I'll say this B-Rick, if you said at the time of the deal that Cutler was no more than an average QB, congratulations to you. Although I'd speculate that call was based less on acute sports knowledge (and your posts in the Cubs forum over the past two plus years will show that you indeed have very little acute sports knowledge) and more based on dumb luck. So you good on you for the call on Cutler.

But if you're shitting on the Cutler deal (not based on hindsight) and advocating rolling the dice with some QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft, you either don't understand competition differential, or are dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NME wrote:
Nothing -nothing- will set a team back more than over drafting a QB.
Not drafting a quarterback sets you back more. At least if you draft a quarterback you have a chance he becomes elite. Put together a list of the top 10 franchises you would most like to be. Almost all of them have great to hall of fame quarterbacks. What gives you the best chance of getting one of those?

NME wrote:
When you're in the Bears position you can't afford to throw away high value picks. You have to do your best to hit on them.

But hey, maybe drafting the guy who is well known because he returns kicks in a league doing everything they can to lessen the value of kick returners!

I don't get why everyone is so afraid of drafting and failing with a first round quarterback. Yeah, you may suck but you may suck with any player you draft and no position has the upside of a quarterback.

Since Jim McMahon in 1982, the Bears have drafted a quarterback in the first round three times. How well has that worked out for them? This was while for most of that time they had no good long term answer at the position.

lol

Cutler is the perfect example of how much the wrong QB can set back your franchise. You waste draft picks you don't need or otherwise would have used on another need in hopes to 'build around' said QB. Coaching change after coaching change, coordinator after coordinator. 8 years can go by -like it has here already.

That's exactly what could happen when you over reach for a guy.

I'm all for drafting a QB highly -if they think he's the guy. But if not, it's a terrible idea to reach for one just because. They're better off taking the best player on the board if that QB is a reach at that position in the draft.

You ask me which franchise id like the Bears to be? Well, not one of those franchises -the Patriots, the Packers, Indy got good by reaching for QB's when they couldn't afford to. Brady was a nobody late round pick (so, not a reach), the Packers already had a still prime Favre when they went after Rodgers and Indy recently tanked to land an almost sure thing in Luck which wasn't considered a reach at all.

Tell you what Rick, why don't you go ahead and reel off all the teams that 'reached' for QB's and have rings and multi consecutive playoff runs to show for it? Most recent/semi recent HoF QB's I can think of weren't reaches either -Marino, Elway, Manning..

Honestly the only time you should reach in the draft is when you can afford to. And the list of teams that can afford to do it is pretty short, and it's not a list you'll find the Bears on to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:17 am 

By this logic you could pick the best player available -not reach for that QB- and still most likely suck enough every year to land in the high points of the draft to continue doing so till the next Manning or Luck swings around.

Or, your team actually improves every year while you don't reach, and pick the best player available and you get to a point where a journeymen QB or a game manager QB can be used on said team to get you into the playoffs for a possible run.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:41 am 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You're advocating that the Bears spend the #3 pick on a 21 year old QB with a spotty record at best versus 18 and 19 year olds.

Yet the Bears sent the 18th pick, a future #1 and a pile of shit for a 25 year old who in the year prior tore up the top 1% of football defenders and you claim that it was a folly trade?

Again, we all agree the Cutler deal didn't work out as planned, but given the scenarios above, most anyone would rather have the 25 year old deal than drafting your run of the mill Bortles, Russell, Bradford, Manuel, etc.

Especially in light of the hauls that the Rams and the Titans got for their top picks, the Bears made a stellar deal. Again, it didn't work out like everyone hoped, but the trade for the 25 year old who dominated the AFC West is the better odds on play than drafting the guy who lit up Coastal Carolina.

So I'll say this B-Rick, if you said at the time of the deal that Cutler was no more than an average QB, congratulations to you. Although I'd speculate that call was based less on acute sports knowledge (and your posts in the Cubs forum over the past two plus years will show that you indeed have very little acute sports knowledge) and more based on dumb luck. So you good on you for the call on Cutler.
I didn't say that the Cutler trade was necessarily wrong. He had the potential to improve and make it worth it and his age was a factor. He could have become a great to elite quarterback. He wasn't at that point and had major issues and that is why Denver did the unthinkable and drop him pretty quickly.

He was an average quarterback in Denver at the time of the trade. He snuck into the Pro Bowl because everyone else dropped out. He was 16th in qb rating. He was 14th in completion percentage. He was 3rd in yards but total yards often lies(see Hoyer). He was 7th in touchdowns but had the 2nd most interceptions in the league. So, unless you only care about yards(and you shouldn't) and touchdowns without context, he was average. His team also wasn't good, the coach got fired, and the team decided that Kyle Orton was a better option than him.

He had the potential to be much better. That is why you make the trade. I doubted he would suddenly start fixing his issues because he had a lot of mechanical issues and he already shown the same attitude that Bears fans and the numerous fired coaches he played for learned to love.

As I said, you picked a terrible place to fight me here. It wasn't your worst one this year but it probably is the second. If there is one thing that I can say with certainty it is that I was concerned about Cutler from the very beginning.

One Post wrote:
But if you're shitting on the Cutler deal (not based on hindsight) and advocating rolling the dice with some QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft, you either don't understand competition differential, or are dumb.
No, dumb is making a $250 bet you have no chance of winning because you claim you can afford it.

Drafting the best available quarterback with the third pick in the draft(within reason) for the most important position on the team is not dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Its incredibly dumb if you have 4 or 5 players ranked higher than that QB.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 am 

NME wrote:
Cutler is the perfect example of how much the wrong QB can set back your franchise. You waste draft picks you don't need or otherwise would have used on another need in hopes to 'build around' said QB. Coaching change after coaching change, coordinator after coordinator. 8 years can go by -like it has here already.
With a rookie qb you move on after three years and try it again.
NME wrote:
You ask me which franchise id like the Bears to be? Well, not one of those franchises -the Patriots, the Packers, Indy got good by reaching for QB's when they couldn't afford to. Brady was a nobody late round pick (so, not a reach), the Packers already had a still prime Favre when they went after Rodgers and Indy recently tanked to land an almost sure thing in Luck which wasn't considered a reach at all.
Tom Brady was one of the largest anomalies in sports history. Good luck waiting until the 6th round trying to get a hall of fame quarterback. The Packers drafted a quarterback, in the first round, with a hall of fame quarterback playing for them. Indianapolis drafted a quarterback with a first round pick. They got incredibly lucky that the most can't miss prospect since Peyton fell on their lap. Are you arguing for or against me? My god. I'm not sure you could have picked three worse teams to back you up.
NME wrote:
Tell you what Rick, why don't you go ahead and reel off all the teams that 'reached' for QB's and have rings and multi consecutive playoff runs to show for it? Most recent/semi recent HoF QB's I can think of weren't reaches either -Marino, Elway, Manning..
No pick, even a quarterback, is a guarantee of a lock. I noticed you never actually answered my question. I will however answer yours. Baltimore and the Giants "reached" for a quarterback in the first round.

Now go ahead and list off all of the model franchises you wish the Bears would be like. Then tell me who is calling plays for them and the round in which that quarterback was drafted. lol indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Rankings take into account position. QB is by far the most valuable. It is worth it to give up "4 or 5 spots" to get a player that can lock down that position on your team for the next 10 to 15 years.

I guess we can wait for the next Tom Brady though!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You're wrong.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I didn't say that the Cutler trade was necessarily wrong. He had the potential to improve and make it worth it and his age was a factor. He could have become a great to elite quarterback. He wasn't at that point and had major issues and that is why Denver did the unthinkable and drop him pretty quickly.

He was an average quarterback in Denver at the time of the trade. He snuck into the Pro Bowl because everyone else dropped out. He was 16th in qb rating. He was 14th in completion percentage. He was 3rd in yards but total yards often lies(see Hoyer). He was 7th in touchdowns but had the 2nd most interceptions in the league. So, unless you only care about yards(and you shouldn't) and touchdowns without context, he was average. His team also wasn't good, the coach got fired, and the team decided that Kyle Orton was a better option than him.

He had the potential to be much better. That is why you make the trade. I doubted he would suddenly start fixing his issues because he had a lot of mechanical issues and he already shown the same attitude that Bears fans and the numerous fired coaches he played for learned to love.

As I said, you picked a terrible place to fight me here. It wasn't your worst one this year but it probably is the second. If there is one thing that I can say with certainty it is that I was concerned about Cutler from the very beginning.

One Post wrote:
No, dumb is making a $250 bet you have no chance of winning because you claim you can afford it.

Drafting the best available quarterback with the third pick in the draft(within reason) for the most important position on the team is not dumb.

I never said that drafting a QB was dumb, I just pointed out that if you're looking at predictors of success, I'd rather take the 25 year old who demonstrated measurable success against the best defensive players in the world, as opposed to some dude who tore up Wofford.

But I'll refocus, this isn't a Cutler thread but using Cutler. His 2008 season was probably his best as a pro, and it was accomplished at a young age. A big reason being that he was only sacked 11 times the whole year. The Broncos had 4 lineman they drafted and developed protecting Cutler.

Again, I'd like to see the Bears take an offensive lineman in the draft. If there isn't one valuable enough at #3, acquire a pick or two and slide down in the first round. Lots of holes on this team.

Also, not for nothing B Rick, but you seem oddly consumed by my bet with JORR. The bet was entertainment to me, like any bet I make be it at a casino or in a bar, I got my money's worth out of the deal. If you can't afford a bet like that under those conditions, my advice to you is work harder and save your money. You'll get there one day to, I believe in you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Rankings take into account position. QB is by far the most valuable. It is worth it to give up "4 or 5 spots" to get a player that can lock down that position on your team for the next 10 to 15 years.

It doesn't work this way.

If the Bears have 5 guys on their draft board rated as "top 5 talent", and the highest QB they have on the board is rated as a talent that falls between 15 and 25, they aren't giving up "5 spots", they are giving up 10-20.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47 am 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

If the Bears have 5 guys on their draft board rated as "top 5 talent", and the highest QB they have on the board is rated as a talent that falls between 15 and 25, they aren't giving up "5 spots", they are giving up 10-20.

Read the post I quoted please.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:31 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Yeah, I read it, I don't think you comprehend.

The #5 guy on the Bears draft board isn't necessarily worth the #5 pick in the draft. You understand this right? It doesn't work this way.

I think Frank's point is that if the Bears view 4-5 guys as premium talents, and then there is a noticeable talent gap between those 5 guys and the next tranche of 10 guys, you aren't maximizing your return on the pick if you skip one of the premium guys for one of the lesser talented players.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 am 

With the Bears luck they will take a QB at 3 that will be a huge bust while the other top 10 picks will be Hall of Famers

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 am 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Yeah, I read it, I don't think you comprehend.

The #5 guy on the Bears draft board isn't necessarily worth the #5 pick in the draft. You understand this right? It doesn't work this way.

I think Frank's point is that if the Bears view 4-5 guys as premium talents, and then there is a noticeable talent gap between those 5 guys and the next tranche of 10 guys, you aren't maximizing your return on the pick if you skip one of the premium guys for one of the lesser talented players.
I think I'll read his post and take it as he didn't actually mean something different than he said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next