It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: With the #3 Pick...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
MartyD47 wrote:
John Mullin‏Verified account @CSNMoonMullin 57s57 seconds ago

somehow not 100% sure #Bears deal was the end - could #Jets or #Browns now call with better offers and GM Pace nets more than he gave up?

No way, right?

Then just make that deal straight with the Browns.

The Bears aren't some arbitrage geniuses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Big Chicagoan wrote:
No way you trade the house in hopes of getting two houses in the future. Bears are fucked.

Plus, teams know the Bears now have two QBs and will appear desperate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Wow. Cleveland is trying to trade for Kirk Cousins. This is real.

From Adam Schefter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Looking at his twitter, I get the feeling Goff wanted the Bears to make Jamal Adams the highest selection of a DB in the NFL draft ever at #3.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Looking at his twitter, I get the feeling Goff wanted the Bears to make Jamal Adams the highest selection of a DB in the NFL draft ever at #3.

That was his guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
If you think this is a sellers market for top 10 picks in the 2017 NFL draft..... then, truly you are a fucking idiot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great call, Bob!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
If you think this is a sellers market for top 10 picks in the 2017 NFL draft..... then, truly you are a fucking idiot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great call, Bob!

Yep, he nailed that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Shit. They could have taken Watson (or probably (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky) and used those other picks to trade up and take Hooker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

That was his guy.

There it is !!!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Shit. They could have taken Watson (or probably (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky) and used those other picks to trade up and take Hooker.

There is absolutely zero chance (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is available at #3. The Bears liked (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky more than Watson, which is their prerogative as an NFL front office. I actually disagree with them on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky being better than Watson, but the nature of evaluating pro QB's is so delicate that I can easily see (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky being a better pro than Watson. I understand the front office identifying one guy to play the most important position on the field and doing what it takes to get that guy, especially if it doesn't cost any high picks to move up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 pm 

America wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

There is absolutely zero chance (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is available at #3. The Bears liked (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky more than Watson, which is their prerogative as an NFL front office. I actually disagree with them on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky being better than Watson, but the nature of evaluating pro QB's is so delicate that I can easily see (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky being a better pro than Watson. I understand the front office identifying one guy to play the most important position on the field and doing what it takes to get that guy, especially if it doesn't cost any high picks to move up.

I understand your position.

I disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 pm 

Where is Brick? He has to be pretty happy right now.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
jimmypasta wrote:
I feel the Bears are going after a QB. You don't get too many chances to draft 3rd.
Or maybe they stock up at RB if Forsett is still there.

Either way,the 3rd pick must be a high impact position,not CB or S which you can hunt for later.

Right AGAIN! I would have preferred an instant impact guy like Forsette but I don't mind the pick but they traded other picks to get him. That hurts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
That was leaked because they themselves want to trade out of #1. Better not trade down past 5 because the Browns have their sites sets on a QB there. There is no value in trading up high, in this draft. None. Nobody wants to trade up high. The value will be moving into the late 1st to get in that 2nd tier of QBs.

Nobody wants to trade up high! Good call brother!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
he's an idiot but he's right. The only team that traded up high was a team already picking in the top 3. Lots of movement in the middle third though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

America wrote:
he's an idiot but he's right. The only team that traded up high was a team already picking in the top 3. Lots of movement in the middle third though.

Three teams traded up for top 12 picks. He was clearly wrong.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 am 

Time for some timely analysis.

I am really excited about the actual pick. They did exactly what you should do in terms of who they picked. He seemed to be the consensus #1 QB in the draft. Now, I'm surprised that Watson didn't pass him but there probably is a reason for that. It seemed like everyone expected (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky to be the first pick in the draft and we got him. That's truly a great move. Now, anyone who wants to misquote me later can stop reading now.

How Pace went about it is a fireable offense. He completely changed the expectation level required for him. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky needs to be a stud. He needs to be a borderline top 5 guy now. They gave up a lot to move up one spot when they were already using a high pick. The upside was they locked in that they could get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky instead of Watson. My thought all along is that except in rare circumstances high quarterback draft picks have somewhat similar odds of becoming the franchise changing quarterback you need to have in the NFL. I can't see a case where the difference between (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Watson(or Mahomes) is so massive that you can't live with the chance that you miss on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. Now, maybe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky becomes our Matt Ryan and we are very happy. Now, the 49ers claim they had a backup plan to not draft Thomas but I find that hard to believe.

All along, I said I wanted the best QB available with a first round grade. This is where Pace failed. There were two of them available and the odds were very good that he would be choosing from any of them as I doubt the 49ers are giving up the second spot otherwise. Most reporting seems to indicate that the 49ers played the Bears.

The thing is that taking a QB in the first round and it not working is not the franchise destroying thing it once was. The salary is much lower than it used to be. The "value" of a pick, especially at #3 normally doesn't have the can't miss prospect that you can't live without and if it did they you pretty much just pick that can't miss prospect instead. As I believe America pointed out, you can even consider drafting the top QB next year if he is an Andrew Luck-type player as the trade market for young quarterbacks is still strong especially if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sits all season.

Pace just seems over his head. I don't care he "got the picks back" because that is a made up excuse anyways. You can't ever "get the picks back" because you could have done that either way. It's like if I burn a $100 bill for no reason and then go and sell my watch for $100. I didn't get the $100 back.

So, Pace did the "right thing" in getting (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and did it in the complete wrong way and failed in what should have been one of the easiest "wins" that a GM can get. He also got taken by a guy who was an announcer with no experience which makes the whole "He's young" excuse impossible too.

So, very happy with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky but unhappy with the GM who failed even when making the right choice. If the other picks don't look good I think a strong case can be made to fire Pace even if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky seems to be a good building block for the future after the season.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I am really excited about the actual pick. They did exactly what you should do in terms of who they picked. He seemed to be the consensus #1 QB in the draft. Now, I'm surprised that Watson didn't pass him but there probably is a reason for that. It seemed like everyone expected (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky to be the first pick in the draft and we got him. That's truly a great move. Now, anyone who wants to misquote me later can stop reading now.

How Pace went about it is a fireable offense. He completely changed the expectation level required for him. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky needs to be a stud. He needs to be a borderline top 5 guy now. They gave up a lot to move up one spot when they were already using a high pick. The upside was they locked in that they could get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky instead of Watson. My thought all along is that except in rare circumstances high quarterback draft picks have somewhat similar odds of becoming the franchise changing quarterback you need to have in the NFL. I can't see a case where the difference between (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Watson(or Mahomes) is so massive that you can't live with the chance that you miss on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. Now, maybe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky becomes our Matt Ryan and we are very happy. Now, the 49ers claim they had a backup plan to not draft Thomas but I find that hard to believe.

All along, I said I wanted the best QB available with a first round grade. This is where Pace failed. There were two of them available and the odds were very good that he would be choosing from any of them as I doubt the 49ers are giving up the second spot otherwise. Most reporting seems to indicate that the 49ers played the Bears.

The thing is that taking a QB in the first round and it not working is not the franchise destroying thing it once was. The salary is much lower than it used to be. The "value" of a pick, especially at #3 normally doesn't have the can't miss prospect that you can't live without and if it did they you pretty much just pick that can't miss prospect instead. As I believe America pointed out, you can even consider drafting the top QB next year if he is an Andrew Luck-type player as the trade market for young quarterbacks is still strong especially if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sits all season.

Pace just seems over his head. I don't care he "got the picks back" because that is a made up excuse anyways. You can't ever "get the picks back" because you could have done that either way. It's like if I burn a $100 bill for no reason and then go and sell my watch for $100. I didn't get the $100 back.

So, Pace did the "right thing" in getting (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and did it in the complete wrong way and failed in what should have been one of the easiest "wins" that a GM can get. He also got taken by a guy who was an announcer with no experience which makes the whole "He's young" excuse impossible too.

So, very happy with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky but unhappy with the GM who failed even when making the right choice. If the other picks don't look good I think a strong case can be made to fire Pace even if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky seems to be a good building block for the future after the season.

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky was considered a far more accurate quarterback than Watson, which seems to be why Pace was soon tuned into him. That said, I do not see the need to trade up. If Pace had to get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky why wait to see what the Browns do at 1? I don't get the logic of trading to "make sure they got their guy".

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:56 am 

Good analysis, Rick.

I really hope (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is the guy. And I can't see Pace being fired anytime soon. He bought himself time with this pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm 

If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is very good and every other draft pick is awful then there's no case to fire Pace, especially coming off a strong draft class last year

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
FavreFan wrote:
If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is very good and every other draft pick is awful then there's no case to fire Pace, especially coming off a strong draft class last year

Really going out on a limp there with that take..you're like the Peter King of CFMB.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:54 pm 

Brick thanks for finally weighing in.

Question for you...you said that because of the trade Pace has now changed the expectation level and he now needs to be a stud and a top 5 guy

So if he was taken at 3 without the trade, he would not need to be a stud and a top 5 guy?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Really going out on a limp there with that take..you're like the Peter King of CFMB.

Read Rick's post dipshit. I was responding to him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That's a wall of words to basically say Pace is a fuckin idiot.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm 

People in this town will be writing songs about Adam Shaheen.

Nothing else matters.

But (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will be good, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tl:dr
That's a wall of words to basically say Pace is a fuckin idiot.
Of course it is.

Welcome back, BRick.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 am 

RFDC wrote:
Question for you...you said that because of the trade Pace has now changed the expectation level and he now needs to be a stud and a top 5 guy

So if he was taken at 3 without the trade, he would not need to be a stud and a top 5 guy?
I'd say under normal circumstances expecting a guy to be top 5 with a pick that isn't the first in the draft is too high of an expectation. It's obviously the goal but if you miss on that and you end up with a consolation prize of a Kirk Cousins type player it is a good pick. The stuff you traded does raise the expectation level. You only move up one spot like that if you think the player is likely to become elite so I think borderline top 5 is a fair expectation to judge Pace on. If he had just taken the best qb available with a much lower cost then I wouldn't be upset with him if the guy ends up being Andy Dalton.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:30 am 
100000 CLUB

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in football circles it raises things. However, I think most Bears fans expectations of him will be "Don't turn the ball over like Cutler." If he is better in that area, MANY people will say he is better than Cutler, other stats-- including wins-- be damned. I get that not throwing interceptions is pretty damn important for a QB. Like you, I think the trade itself was criminal but whats done is done, and all we can do is hope that this guy ends up being a great QB.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:37 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in football circles it raises things. However, I think most Bears fans expectations of him will be "Don't turn the ball over like Cutler." If he is better in that area, MANY people will say he is better than Cutler, other stats-- including wins-- be damned. I get that not throwing interceptions is pretty damn important for a QB. Like you, I think the trade itself was criminal but whats done is done, and all we can do is hope that this guy ends up being a great QB.
I wouldn't expect it to happen the first year and hopefully (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky barely plays but it would be a disappointment if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky didn't have equal or better stats than Cutler. Statistically, Cutler was not impressive in Chicago. The fact that he has "records" is only because of the modern NFL and the rules that inflate statistics.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Yeah, but Bears fans are stupid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next