It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bears FREE AGENCY 2017
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Pace was very eager to remind everyone that the Bears have a ton of cap space this offseason. Pace also has a fantastic free agent track record.

I expect a pretty big haul this year. A.J. Bouye and Calais Campbell two huge names added.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
They need to sign the best wr and QB available.... Jay cutler and Alshon Jeffrey (not kidding look at the list)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You gotta be joking, I don't need to see the list, Jay blows.. Alshon can't stay on the field..let em both go bye bye.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:08 pm 

billypootons wrote:
They need to sign the best wr and QB available.... Jay cutler and Alshon Jeffrey (not kidding look at the list)

Kirk Cousins isn't all that but he's better than Cutler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

Eric Berry

It doesn't seem like people realize just how bad this team is in the secondary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

America wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Cousins is better, he's going to get paid a ridiculous amount though. Should have drafted him instead of Brandon Hardin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 pm 

America wrote:
billypootons wrote:

No way cousins leaves Washington so I didn't consider him, but you are technically right he is top QB "available"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

Alshon has baggage, but it comes with the territory with elite wr talent. You can't replace him, so you have no choice but to keep him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 pm 

You want to pay Alshon 17 million next year on a team that isn't making the playoffs? Or lock him up to 70 million for 5 years?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
billypootons wrote:
Alshon has baggage, but it comes with the territory with elite wr talent. You can't replace him, so you have no choice but to keep him.

Elite?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:39 pm 

312player wrote:
You want to pay Alshon 17 million next year on a team that isn't making the playoffs? Or lock him up to 70 million for 5 years?

I think Bryant and d Thomas got 44mil guaranteed. Not sure what Alshon is going to command in guaranteed. He's not at their level. But considering he should have 3 or 4 more productive years left he's worth paying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:50 pm 

America wrote:
Pace also has a fantastic free agent track record.

?

He signed two LBs last offseason.

One dude quite possibly has sustained a career ending injury.

The other dude was on drugs.

This is fantastic?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:01 pm 

Freeman played at an all pro level this year. Trevathan looked good when he was one the field. Hicks looked great all year. McPhee looks great when he's on the field, but health has been the knock on him forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
Eric Berry

Didn't he have cancer or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm 

One Post wrote:
America wrote:
Pace also has a fantastic free agent track record.

?

He signed two LBs last offseason.

One dude quite possibly has sustained a career ending injury.

The other dude was on drugs.

This is fantastic?

And Bobby Massie ascended to mediocrity after a pretty shitty start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
No way should the Bears even offer Cousins a HUGE deal.

Use the cap space on other positions because your needs are MANY.

Draft a QB.

It's. The. Only. Way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:33 pm 

America wrote:
Freeman played at an all pro level this year. Trevathan looked good when he was one the field. Hicks looked great all year. McPhee looks great when he's on the field, but health has been the knock on him forever.

Signing guys who are constantly hurt and/or have career ending injuries is not the definition of fantastic FA signings. In fact it is the opposite of fantastic regardless of how they perform in their limited time on the field. Like it or not health plays a role in the success of FA signings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 pm 

The only guy they've really signed who had preexisting problems is McPhee, and they paid him accordingly. His degenerative knee seems to have been known around the league, Bears signed him anyways because when he's on the field he's a tornado. I dont have a problem with that if the money is right and they aren't fully counting on him to play, and since they spent the 2016 1st rounder on another OLB I dont think they are counting on full seasons from him. McPhee is not breaking the bank and he's great in the 8 or so games the Bears are going to get out of him every year. They have some depth at that position with Willie Young and Leonard Floyd too, they'll probably add some more via the draft or FA this year also.

If you have a problem with the McPhee signing you're just being miserable.

Trevathan was healthy when they signed him and his shit got fucked up some fluke play during the season. Again, if you're blaming Pace for football being football you're just being miserable.

Eddie Royal was a shitty signing made to placate Jay Cutler, I'll give you that one as a shitty pickup. Tracy Porter has had his ups and downs but I think he's had a bigger role than they wanted him to have. I think they did a bad job internally scouting their DB's and expected way more out of Kyle Fuller than they should have. Antrel Rolle was brought in to be a body in a lost season, so whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 pm 

America wrote:

Trevathan was healthy when they signed him and his shit got fucked up some fluke play during the season. Again, if you're blaming Pace for football being football you're just being miserable.

I'm not "blaming" Pace for the injury. I'm just saying that if you want to call Pace "fantastic" in free agency, yet his biggest signing is a guy who ended his career after a dozen games, then either you don't know what fantastic means, or you don't understand that part of the success or failure of a GM is based on the health of his players.

Also, not for nothing but you're slobbering all over the crank of a GM that just put together the pieces for a 3 win season. In a terribly weak division by the way.

You say he has been fantastic in FA, I say 3 wins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
billypootons wrote:

cutler at 12.5mil for 2017 = you could do much much MUCH worse... and hey, since this draft sucks for QBs and next year's is shaping up to be a "good QB draft" -- maybe the bears can sit on the year of "cheap cutler" that, oh i dont know, THE CONTRACT WAS DESIGNED TO GIVE THEM AFTER 3-4 YEARS OF PAYING JAY ~18-22MIL+ ???

or hell, if you wanna try and recreate "the dak prescott story" without doing it as a Lifetime [channel] Movie, man, maybe you say "the experts can blow me" and you grab your "QB of the future" (akin to david fails, and that's F-A-I-L-S) and then sit on him and let him get acclimated to the league istead of throwing him in week 1 of 2017 like "DAK PRESCOTT SHOWED US THE WAY! NOBODY REMEMBERS DAVID CARR ANYMORE!" -- then yeah, you have an affordable/croulent jay cutler who, at best, can 9-7/10-6 a backdoor into the playoffs and then ??? --- or if he gets hurt/benched[again] circa week 4-6 you can just bring in the new kid, who has at least had those 4-6+ weeks to see how "business as usual" works in he NFL regular season.

either way, you set up this contact to where if you survived ~3-4 years of $$$CUTTHEAD$$$ then he has ~12.5mil options to keep him affordable and [of course] utterly disposable... so why wouldnt you make use of him?

hgoestly, i dont think cutthead is as bad as ppl say he is. its just that "the bill of goods" we were sold was something like "at worst you'll be right around .500 every year, altho more often than not you'll 9-7 to 12-4 your way into the playoffs, even if only because "you're the team with jay cutler" --- just like how the packers' are renown for drafting horribly over recent years, never being able to land any bigtime FAs of major consequence, yet they pretty much always end up 9-7 to 12-4 because "they're the team with aaron rodgers"

TLDR = when people say "cutler is horrible" it's more "butthurt that he wasnt the no-doubt franchise QB we hoped for since 2009" as opposed to "jay cutler is objectively worse than matt barkley" or etc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
America needs to relax with the hyperbole. The Giants had a fantastic free agent class. The Broncos a couple years ago had a fantastic free agent class. The Bears signed some free agents who were decent when they played but too hurt to make much of an impact.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:21 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
billypootons wrote:

cutler at 12.5mil for 2017 = you could do much much MUCH worse... and hey, since this draft sucks for QBs and next year's is shaping up to be a "good QB draft" -- maybe the bears can sit on the year of "cheap cutler" that, oh i dont know, THE CONTRACT WAS DESIGNED TO GIVE THEM AFTER 3-4 YEARS OF PAYING JAY ~18-22MIL+ ???

or hell, if you wanna try and recreate "the dak prescott story" without doing it as a Lifetime [channel] Movie, man, maybe you say "the experts can blow me" and you grab your "QB of the future" (akin to david fails, and that's F-A-I-L-S) and then sit on him and let him get acclimated to the league istead of throwing him in week 1 of 2017 like "DAK PRESCOTT SHOWED US THE WAY! NOBODY REMEMBERS DAVID CARR ANYMORE!" -- then yeah, you have an affordable/croulent jay cutler who, at best, can 9-7/10-6 a backdoor into the playoffs and then ??? --- or if he gets hurt/benched[again] circa week 4-6 you can just bring in the new kid, who has at least had those 4-6+ weeks to see how "business as usual" works in he NFL regular season.

either way, you set up this contact to where if you survived ~3-4 years of $$$CUTTHEAD$$$ then he has ~12.5mil options to keep him affordable and [of course] utterly disposable... so why wouldnt you make use of him?

hgoestly, i dont think cutthead is as bad as ppl say he is. its just that "the bill of goods" we were sold was something like "at worst you'll be right around .500 every year, altho more often than not you'll 9-7 to 12-4 your way into the playoffs, even if only because "you're the team with jay cutler" --- just like how the packers' are renown for drafting horribly over recent years, never being able to land any bigtime FAs of major consequence, yet they pretty much always end up 9-7 to 12-4 because "they're the team with aaron rodgers"

TLDR = when people say "cutler is horrible" it's more "butthurt that he wasnt the no-doubt franchise QB we hoped for since 2009" as opposed to "jay cutler is objectively worse than matt barkley" or etc

Nah, not even close man...I never wanted him, I said from day 1 we gave up too much for a guy who is BARELY better than Orton, he will never be elite, he will never win a Superbowl.. So why pay him 4 million ??? You know he can't get it done.. 14 is suicide, 4 million is a waste, I wouldn't pay that chump 500k the start for the bears, I wouldn't pay lovie smith 50 cents to coach my team..if you KNOW a guy is a buster, one penny is too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 am 

Draft (clap) a (clap) fucking (clap) QB (clap)

It's. The. Only. Way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:38 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Draft (clap) a (clap) fucking (clap) QB (clap)

It's. The. Only. Way.

Okay numbnuts, I see you and a handful of other turds keep preaching this...obviously QB is the most important position to hit on, you can't force it though. Look @ 2014 or 2007 or 2006, sometimes its only horseshit available at the QB position. I feel this year is one of those years, stop crying for a garbage QB...next year will he much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 am 

C'mon 312. You know the Bears aren't going 3-13 next year. There is like 4 months until the draft. With all your years following sports you should know most likely there will be at least 2 QBs who sky rocket up draft boards to the top 15 picks. We need to take a chance on a QB prospect. Ideally with the 2nd round pick. This is the year.

Also...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:49 am 

Praying for Sam Darnold a year and a half from now is some of the silliest shit I've ever read on this board.

Every draft pick or FA signing in the NFL is forcing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Pace is exactly the kind of guy who will pay Cousins to come in and be NO BETTER than Cutler. He does not seem to be the kind of guy who has the balls to make his own move based on his plan for the team. He seems to want to make a move that the analysts will like.....that the fans may like.....but not what is best for the overall growth of the team. I almost expect them to sign Cousins. He is from Holland,MI which is not far away but I believe his family is from wheaton or at least lived there at some point. Can't wait to see the media grill a dutch reformist.

I think Pace is a smart football guy but he was not ready for this. He is trying to make everyone happy instead of telling everyone to go fuck themselves while he builds his football team. I don't like listening to him. He sounds like he is saying what he thinks he is supposed to say instead of what he wants to say. It sounds forced and uncomfortable. You are and NFL GM. Take your dick out and lay it on the table already.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:51 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
C'mon 312. You know the Bears aren't going 3-13 next year. There is like 4 months until the draft. With all your years following sports you should know most likely there will be at least 2 QBs who sky rocket up draft boards to the top 15 picks. We need to take a chance on a QB prospect. Ideally with the 2nd round pick. This is the year.

Also...

This is not the year, did you look at those drafts I stated? The Bears are going 6-7 wins next year, don't fuck the future up by shoe horning a scrub in there. Next year is a great QB draft.

Take a look at those QB drafts I posted, its a god damn embarrassment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:56 am 

312player wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Also...

This is not the year, did you look at those drafts I stated? The Bears are going 6-7 wins next year, don't fuck the future up by shoe horning a scrub in there. Next year is a great QB draft.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 am 

312player wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Also...

It seems like every year everyone says "This qb draft class is bad and next year will be better". I'm sure by next year all the quarterbacks will be bad too.

Then, when you get a guy like Andrew Luck who is clearly worth a top pick he goes #1 to a team that isn't the Bears.

You have to take a chance on a guy. The majority of playoff teams this year starting a first round pick at quarterback would agree.