It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
A rather pleasant memory to end the day ... wait, first something unpleasant ... WGN is telling me that 32 years ago today (01/20/85) was the coldest day in Chicago history (legit -27 degrees F) ... out here in the boonies it's 44.2 degrees.

Anyway, back to the pleasant topic:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Remembering-title-win-10-years-later/9d50aac6-3d6c-476e-af87-627e7c8bc1bc

Saturday marks the 10th anniversary of one of the most memorable victories in Bears history, a 39-14 rout of the New Orleans Saints in the 2006 NFC Championship Game at Soldier Field.

For the first time in 21 years, the George Halas Trophy fittingly returned home. It was presented to Halas' daughter, Bears owner Virginia McCaskey, at midfield during an emotional post-game celebration after the franchise advanced to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1985.

"You could see it in her face how excited she was," Lovie Smith said after his biggest win in nine seasons as Bears coach. "This was a dream for her for a long time. We told her we would do that. The team told her that they would bring it to her."

Fantasy and reality merged into one on Jan. 21, 2007 along Chicago's lakefront as the Bears overcame a lull early in the second half to register their most lopsided playoff win since hammering the New England Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX.

Quarterback Rex Grossman, who led an offense that produced four touchdowns without committing a turnover, heaved the ball into the stands after taking a knee on the final play. Snow, confetti and thunderous cheers from jubilant fans filled the air as Bears players shared hugs and high-fives in the post-game bedlam.

The Bears generated four takeaways and outrushed the Saints 196-56. Thomas Jones set a franchise playoff record by rushing for 123 yards on 19 carries and scored two touchdowns. Cedric Benson added 60 yards and 1 TD on 24 attempts.

The Chicago defense registered three sacks and limited the Saints rushing attack to 56 yards on 12 carries. After gaining 143 yards on 21 attempts a week earlier in a playoff win over the Philadelphia Eagles, running back Deuce McAllister was limited to 18 yards on six carries.

The Bears took a 16-0 lead on Jones' 2-yard TD run with 1:56 left in the second quarter. But the Saints stormed back as Drew Brees threw touchdown passes of 13 yards to Marques Colston late in the first half and 88 yards to Reggie Bush early in the third quarter, closing the gap to 16-14.

New Orleans actually had a chance to take the lead on its next possession, but Billy Cundiff's 47-yard field goal attempt was well short. The Bears then scored the game's final 23 points, a run that was fueled via a game-changing play by the defense.

After Brad Maynard's 51-yard punt bounced out of bounds at the New Orleans 5, Lance Briggs and Mark Anderson pressured Brees into an intentional grounding penalty in the end zone, resulting in a safety that increased the Bears' lead to 18-14.

"They had a little bit of momentum," said defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, "We were looking to create something to get the momentum back and the safety came at a great time for us."

The Bears followed by scoring touchdowns on three of their next four possessions. Grossman engineered a key five--play, 85-yard drive by completing 4 of 4 passes for 78 yards capped by a 33-yard TD pass to Bernard Berrian. The speedy receiver caught the ball while tumbling backwards into the end zone after eluding cornerback Fred Thomas.

Two plays later, Adewale Ogunleye forced and recovered a Brees fumble while sacking the All-Pro quarterback at the New Orleans 26. The Bears converted the turnover as Benson bolted up the middle for a 12-yard TD run, extending the lead to 32-14 with 11:37 remaining.

Jones later clinched the victory with a 15-yard TD run with 4:19 to play, igniting a wild celebration that included the customary Gatorade shower for the Bears head coach.

"It doesn't get any better than that," Smith said after the game. "You start off early in the year—minicamps, training camp; all those things. You see how hard the team works, you lay out a plan and they buy into it. You want it to end this way."

(Virginia McCaskey shown below expressing herself in n-words for Terry Bradshaw)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Was at that game. Man, we're getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

I'll tell you old ... I couldn't find any decent footage of that game so I settled on the Cardinals game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6jT-QKoeY) and momentarily was trying to figure out why you would've been in Arizona on a Monday night. :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'll tell you old ... I couldn't find any decent footage of that game so I settled on the Cardinals game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6jT-QKoeY) and momentarily was trying to figure out why you would've been in Arizona on a Monday night. :drunken:

If it's any consolation, last time we were together, you shit yourself. So... could be worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If it's any consolation, last time we were together, you shit yourself. So... could be worse.

Well, you paid me handsomely to do so .... just know there's a no-refund policy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I was at the Arizona game. I'll never forget it. 20-0 at half and a Cardinals fan next to me turns and says, "Don't worry, you guys are fine, we always find a way to fuck up." Lots of people forget the Neil Rackers chip shot miss at the end. They played live audio of Dennis Green post-game all throughout the stadium as fans were exiting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Watching this right now. The booth crew is treating Leinart like the second coming of Tom Brady. I was a junior in college when this game aired. The defense was so good it made Bernard Berrian and Rex Grossman seem like a legit pairing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 pm 

Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald are still in the league. Who else?

Karlos Dansby too.

Last edited by SpiralStairs on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 pm 

The motherfucking punter for AZ has a single bar facemask!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:11 am 

A drunk Charles Barkley being interviewed by a seemingly drunker Joe Theisman. Will wonders never cease?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:25 am 

Stay classy, Bears fans.

And I remember when apologists wanted to prove it was false...but no.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/chicagobears.asp

Hey at least you got your asses kicked by the team the Saints were able to beat in 2010.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 am 

Prescient Chuck says "20 isn't enough to win this game".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:35 am 

W_Z wrote:
Stay classy, Bears fans.

And I remember when apologists wanted to prove it was false...but no.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/chicagobears.asp

Hey at least you got your asses kicked by the team the Saints were able to beat in 2010.

You seem to be flooded with emotion. Nothing we can do to erase it, my friend. All we are is dust in the wind (storm surge) .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:35 am 

"He can scream like Howard Dean". Even in 2006 that reference was dated. Tony Kornheiser was tuuuuuurible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:47 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

You seem to be flooded with emotion. Nothing we can do to erase it, my friend. All we are is dust in the wind (storm surge) .

Said Devin Hester.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:16 am 

Rex Grossman had AIDS this game holy shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:25 am 

yes, AIDS via Marques Colston and Drew Brees mostly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:30 am 

I feel like that Edgerrin James fumble would have been blown dead in today's NFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 am 

I'm watching the link Don Tiny posted.