It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2017 Bears FA misc.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
A.J. Bouye, Alshon Jeffery Didn’t Consider Signing With Bears

March 9th, 2017 at 9:58pm CST by Connor Byrne

The Bears will emerge from the opening of free agency having added Mike Glennon, Dion Sims, Markus Wheaton and Will Demps, but Thursday didn’t go according to plan for the franchise, writes Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

Chicago attempted to use its boatload of cap space to sign more established players, including top cornerback Stephon Gilmore and A.J. Bouye and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, but the team swung and missed on all counts. While the Bears looked like the favorites to ink Gilmore as recently as Tuesday, he instead joined the Patriots on a mega-deal. Meanwhile, prior to landing his own enormous payday with the Jaguars, Bouye didn’t even give the Bears serious consideration, a source told Biggs.

Like Bouye, Jeffery had no interest in signing with the Bears, multiple sources informed Biggs. He ultimately took a one-year, $14MM offer from the Eagles to leave Chicago, where he spent the first five seasons of his career and emerged as one of the NFL’s top pass catchers.

Should the Bears could continue scouring the open market for potential solutions at either position, some appealing options remain in a dwindling class of free agents. Logan Ryan, Prince Amukamara and Morris Claiborne are among the league’s still-unsigned corners, while Terrelle Pryor is the best wideout without a contract. It’s unclear, though, whether the Bears are interested in any of those players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
FavreFan wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Chicago is just going to have to deal with this. Players with viable options are going elsewhere. Owner needs to take the dirt nap before things get better, like with Al Davis.

Hard to imagine a guy that looks and talks like Mark Davis is garnering a lot of respect around the league.

Players want to be in Oakland.

Mark Davis knows his limitations. They are like 48 million under the cap and the best is yet to come. He actually might even pull off a team in Vegas. I'd say he's doing okay.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Furious Styles wrote:
Players want to be in Oakland.

I just hope ownership does.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
good dolphin wrote:
better not miss on Logan Ryan

Logan Ryan to the Titans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:02 pm 

Quote:
The Bears continued to stockpile options at cornerback Saturday, signing former Cardinals player Marcus Cooper to a three-year deal.

Cooper started 24 times in his career, appearing for the Chiefs from 2013-15 and the Cardinals last year. In 2016, he started 13 games and recorded four interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. The Cardinals traded a conditional seventh-round pick for him at the end of last preseason. He was drafted in the seventh round in 2013 but waived by the 49ers before their first regular-season game.

At 6-2, 192 pounds, Cooper has the size the Bears like at outside cornerback. He joins a recent spate of veteran cornerback signees — the Bears announced the signing of Prince Amukamara and the re-signing of Johnthan Banks on Saturday.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:52 pm 

WR Kendall Wright 1 year deal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:03 pm 

Signed O-Lineman Tom Compton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am 

Why would they have not been in on Pryor for the small money he ended up getting?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
good dolphin wrote:
Why would they have not been in on Pryor for the small money he ended up getting?

I asked the same thing.

I think Pace is in over his head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I would be shocked if Vegas had this team with more than 5.5 in the over/under.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:44 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I asked the same thing.

I think Pace is in over his head.

I like their Day 3 acquisitions better than Day 1.

Cooper is starting level CB and probably better than Amukamara. At the very least, they have raised the talent level at CB to competent. I really hope Hall develops into a player this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Pryor should have been signed, the guy is new to the position n grabbed 1k yards on the worst team in the league. He's got the speed, athleticism and he's hungry and cheap. If there's one guy in the NFL who's opinion I couldn't care less about, its probably Pac man Jones..I gotta think his comments hurt Pry ors value.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Jason La Confora weighs in on the Bears free agency approach.

Chicago Bears

The Bears have left some teams in the league a little baffled by some of their moves. The Mike Glennon contract, worth a legit $15 million a year, is viewed as being much higher than it needed to be, with the Jets and some others having lukewarm interest at best.

Giving $7.5 million to corner Prince Amukamura for one year -- after he was relatively ineffective last year on a one-year, $5 million contract in Jacksonville in a prove-it scenario -- raised some eyebrows.

And the Bears paying oft-injured ex-Steeler Markus Wheaton the same money in 2017 as receivers like Brandon Marshall, Terrelle Pryor and Torrey Smith got on the open market is a head-scratcher as well. The Steelers, who evaluate receivers as well as any franchise in the game, are still very much in the market for receiving depth even after the Antonio Brown signing, but they wouldn’t pay Wheaton close to that money and they think he’s a great kid and all.

The Bears could counter that most of these deals are only a one-year commitment, but I’d counter that with so many jobs on the line there given the struggles of the John Fox-Ryan Pace regime, one year might be all they have.

Thank the Gods for Theo & Bowman.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 am 

The Pryor non-signing is indefensible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Peoria Matt wrote:

You guys are all acting as if Pryor is some sure thing All-Pro future performer. I doubt that. even so, given where the Bears are in the process what good would taking that chance really do for a one year contract?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:

Seems like Pryor wanted a QB to pad stats to get a long-term deal. I don't think he comes to the Bears for 1 year with the volleyball player as QB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
pittmike wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

You guys are all acting as if Pryor is some sure thing All-Pro future performer. I doubt that. even so, given where the Bears are in the process what good would taking that chance really do for a one year contract?

Pryor was really good with the Browns last year and I couldnt even tell you who their QB was for the majority of the year. I just think it speaks volumes that a guy that has started to show that he can be a player in this league isn't offered a contract by the Bears but a player like Wheaton is. I was really hoping they would have reached out and made an offer for multiple years but I guess not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Jason La Confora weighs in on the Bears free agency approach.

Chicago Bears

The Bears have left some teams in the league a little baffled by some of their moves. The Mike Glennon contract, worth a legit $15 million a year, is viewed as being much higher than it needed to be, with the Jets and some others having lukewarm interest at best.

Giving $7.5 million to corner Prince Amukamura for one year -- after he was relatively ineffective last year on a one-year, $5 million contract in Jacksonville in a prove-it scenario -- raised some eyebrows.

And the Bears paying oft-injured ex-Steeler Markus Wheaton the same money in 2017 as receivers like Brandon Marshall, Terrelle Pryor and Torrey Smith got on the open market is a head-scratcher as well. The Steelers, who evaluate receivers as well as any franchise in the game, are still very much in the market for receiving depth even after the Antonio Brown signing, but they wouldn’t pay Wheaton close to that money and they think he’s a great kid and all.

The Bears could counter that most of these deals are only a one-year commitment, but I’d counter that with so many jobs on the line there given the struggles of the John Fox-Ryan Pace regime, one year might be all they have.

Thank the Gods for Theo & Bowman.

I think he is understating the value of one year deals. They weren't going to spend to their cap this year anyway, so those deals just push that cap availability to next year.

Also, Torrey Smith has been exposed as a one trick pony. Wheaton is worth as much as him. Marshall is old and is a pariah. I don't think Wheaton is as good as him but balancing everything I could see how their market values might be equal. Pryor confounds me.

The contract he is missing that I thought was outrageous is Dion Sims.

Pace seemed to do the KW thing this year where he couldn't control himself from overpaying.

Last edited by good dolphin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Pryor was really good with the Browns last year and I couldnt even tell you who their QB was for the majority of the year. I just think it speaks volumes that a guy that has started to show that he can be a player in this league isn't offered a contract by the Bears but a player like Wheaton is. I was really hoping they would have reached out and made an offer for multiple years but I guess not.

29 other teams also did not. Wheaton maybe has bigger upside to gamble on? But I do not know their thinking there. As for Pryor I have watched him since he was playing HS football and basketball against my kid's HS. He is tremendously athletic and bcak then was clearly a man among boys. It is possible he can become great but for me its a gamble to have him more than a third receiver on a good team. If the Bears were closer I would not have minded them signing him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 am 

pittmike wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

29 other teams also did not. Wheaton maybe has bigger upside to gamble on? But I do not know their thinking there. As for Pryor I have watched him since he was playing HS football and basketball against my kid's HS. He is tremendously athletic and bcak then was clearly a man among boys. It is possible he can become great but for me its a gamble to have him more than a third receiver on a good team. If the Bears were closer I would not have minded them signing him.

I could make a case for Pace's moves indicating he will go WR in the first round.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I get a laugh when people say...

Fire Pace, he didnt sign x

Or not signing x is indefensible...

etc etc

Ever think that maybe.....maybe we spoke to them and they were not remotely interested in coming to our cluster of a football team?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Myrradah wrote:

etc etc

Ever think that maybe.....maybe we spoke to them and they were not remotely interested in coming to our cluster of a football team?

What to do with a heretic that speaks truth. hmmm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:00 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Deiondre Hall to safety is interesting. Also I'm a bit surprised Fuller hasn't been cut yet, it kind of leads me to believe they are going to give him a second chance with this coaching staff. Not saying he'll even make it through training camp, or that if he does we should care, but when you load up on a bunch of former 1st-round guys sometimes that talent that got them drafted so high has a delayed onset.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:09 am 

Myrradah wrote:

etc etc

That is unequivocally untrue in the case of Gilmore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 am 

America wrote:
Deiondre Hall to safety is interesting. Also I'm a bit surprised Fuller hasn't been cut yet, it kind of leads me to believe they are going to give him a second chance with this coaching staff. Not saying he'll even make it through training camp, or that if he does we should care, but when you load up on a bunch of former 1st-round guys sometimes that talent that got them drafted so high has a delayed onset.

Did they say they were moving Hall to safety? If so, I'm surprised they would make that statement before the draft. Hall can play both. However, if they draft someone like Adams in the first, he will not be seeing the field as a safety this year. I would have thought the more logical choice for the move was Fuller.