It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutler..... Cut
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
7 or 8 OC's doesn't help but let's face it,the Bears gave him plenty of talent to throw to in 8 seasons. Let's not forget Forte setting the record for receptions by a RB in one season and the # of catches by guys like Marshall,that crabby TE and a number of others. Cutler will always just be good enough to suck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
7 or 8 OC's doesn't help but let's face it,the Bears gave him plenty of talent to throw to in 8 seasons. Let's not forget Forte setting the record for receptions by a RB in one season and the # of catches by guys like Marshall,that crabby TE and a number of others. Cutler will always just be good enough to suck.
The coaching carousel was more likely BECAUSE of him rather than hurting him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is the best day the Bears have had in a long time. The Cutler purgatory is over!

Today is like Christmas morning for you and I it really is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is the best day the Bears have had in a long time. The Cutler purgatory is over!

Today is like Christmas morning for you and I it really is.
It's nice to know there is a new direction.

The big key will be how well they play the draft to get a rookie in here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:51 pm 

I know it was unlikely to ever change, but this officially means that the Grossman/Orton era was better than the Cutler era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the Cutler trade was the worst move this org ever made. perhaps the worst trade in NFL history. killed the franchise for a decade.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
the Cutler trade was the worst move this org ever made. perhaps the worst trade in NFL history. killed the franchise for a decade.
Maybe. The extension was criminal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hatchetman wrote:

Yup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Looks like Jeffrey is walking out the door. Lot of talent on a 3 win team leaving...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:57 pm 

Good riddance to Alshon, too fragile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America gets it.

Sure, Glennon will suck just as bad, if not worse, but we won't have to look at Jay's stupid "whatever, I don't even care" face anymore.

Fuck him. Giiiiiit out of my city, I love you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

No, the Trestman/Emery move killed the franchise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

312player wrote:

More durable than Pace's boy, Kevin White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Violence around your neighborhood increases, you do research on better neighborhoods, move to one that's well-regarded for its safety based on every metric under the sun, then continue to experience robberies, break ins, etc. Did you make the wrong move at the time?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:02 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Violence around your neighborhood increases, you do research on better neighborhoods, move to one that's well-regarded for its safety based on every metric under the sun, then continue to experience robberies, break ins, etc. Did you make the wrong move at the time?

when you get shot dead, it was the worst move of your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
312player wrote:

More durable than Pace's boy, Kevin White

Yes, White is soft and he sucks..at least Alshon was very good when he played.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The better example would be if you moved into an "improving neighborhood with potential" that never reaches it.

Jay was well known to need a lot of work to become better than he was even with his pro bowl as the 14th alternate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Real bad analogy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

They made an NFC Championship game.

I'd be willing to bet the Bears don't make another one in the next 8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Hatchetman wrote:

when you get shot dead, it was the worst move of your life.

When you judge everything using hindsight then there's really no point discussing anything - you're naturally going to be "right" on virtually everything.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The better example would be if you moved into an "improving neighborhood with potential" that never reaches it.

Jay was well known to need a lot of work to become better than he was even with his pro bowl as the 14th alternate.

Okay, so moving to an "improving neighborhood with potential" was the wrong move? That'd obviously be the correct move. Swinging for the fences like Angelo did back in 2009 was what you'd want any GM to do, especially in our position where we achieved modest success under Lovie despite not having a decent QB. I think I had this debate with someone here before but it's hard to argue against a promising 25 year old QB who looked to be on the rise while in Denver. Yes, he had flaws, but at 25 it's not bad thinking to say to yourself that you can coach those flaws out of his system.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:33 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Okay, so moving to an "improving neighborhood with potential" was the wrong move? That'd obviously be the correct move. Swinging for the fences like Angelo did back in 2009 was what you'd want any GM to do, especially in our position where we achieved modest success under Lovie despite not having a decent QB. I think I had this debate with someone here before but it's hard to argue against a promising 25 year old QB who looked to be on the rise while in Denver. Yes, he had flaws, but at 25 it's not bad thinking to say to yourself that you can coach those flaws out of this system.
It's justifiable but it's not like it was a home run. It was still a pretty major misreading of him and there were MAJOR red flags about him that were pointed out right at the time of the trade. We have hindsight bias now, which is pretty obviously negative about him, but many of the concerns with him were brought up at the time.

The big problem was the extension. That was the dumbest move in Bears history.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

I thought it was a good idea at the time but that is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

If you thought it was a good idea at the time then you cannot call it the "worst move in NFL history."

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

If you thought it was a good idea at the time then you cannot call it the "worst move in NFL history."

To be fair, Hatchetman is a moron.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Okay, so moving to an "improving neighborhood with potential" was the wrong move? That'd obviously be the correct move. Swinging for the fences like Angelo did back in 2009 was what you'd want any GM to do, especially in our position where we achieved modest success under Lovie despite not having a decent QB. I think I had this debate with someone here before but it's hard to argue against a promising 25 year old QB who looked to be on the rise while in Denver. Yes, he had flaws, but at 25 it's not bad thinking to say to yourself that you can coach those flaws out of this system.
It's justifiable but it's not like it was a home run. It was still a pretty major misreading of him and there were MAJOR red flags about him that were pointed out right at the time of the trade. We have hindsight bias now, which is pretty obviously negative about him, but many of the concerns with him were brought up at the time.

The big problem was the extension. That was the dumbest move in Bears history.

What was misread and what major flags were there? I don't dispute that there were concerns, there are concerns anytime you trade a bunch of picks, but you seem to imply that the concerns were strong enough to question the move at the time. If so, what concerns/red flags were there?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Yes he can. He is doing something rarely done around here anymore. He's admitting he was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
http://www.theonion.com/articleslidesho ... -qua-55494

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
What was misread and what major flags were there? I don't dispute that there were concerns, there are concerns anytime you trade a bunch of picks, but you seem to imply that the concerns were strong enough to question the move at the time. If so, what concerns/red flags were there?
Poor mechanics. He got a Super Bowl winning coach fired. His current team was quick to want to jettison a 25 year old pro bowl player. Outside of yardage, his statistics were not impressive compared to most other good quarterbacks. He showed attitude problems leading up to the trade and he was known to not be the easiest to deal with prior to that.

As I said though, the upside potential was enough to at least justify the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm 

pittmike wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Yes he can. He is doing something rarely done around here anymore. He's admitting he was wrong.

Admitting he was wrong about what? If you thought it was a good move at the time then it was still a good move *at the time* even though he ended up sucking. You're never going to find yourself refusing to trade for a 25 year old QB with upside in the future because Jay Cutler didn't work out in Chicago from 2009-2016. It's going to be the right move.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:49 pm 

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next