It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Ok so i need to lean on some of you older guys here cuz this is technically b4 my time, but how different would/could the bears franchise be if halas' son didnt die and therefore [presumably] he got the team instead of ginny/mccaskeys?

my dad likes to tell me that he knew a couple of halas kids [one was a police officer somewhere around here?] and that the halas-proper kids got a raw deal when the old man died and ginny+mccaskeys lawyered up and got their ship to come in. obviously i don't go far back enough to know about halas' son (muggs or muggsy or something?) but i figure some of you boomers here might remember him and therefore be able to shed some light on whether or not the [intended?] heir of the bears being him = we have a radically/different organ-I-zation nowadays, as i think it's pretty damn fair to put a lot of this current bears bullshit squarely on the shoulders of the mccaskeys up top [altho yes i know we're supposed to blame jay and clearly that man singlehandedly ruined us for ~10yrs! it wasn't the people at the top, they were sold a bill of goods on #6! and that's NOT #6 like the prisoner! duh!]

so yeah, can anyone with a little more experience than me perhaps enlighten me as to whether or not halas' son had a clue and maybe could have been the leader/savior that this franchise [clearly] needed?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

I was always told that Mugs Halas actually knew football. Unlike the McCaskey boys and their mom.

That's the difference right there. You would have had a "Football guy".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Beardown wrote:
I was always told that Mugs Halas actually knew football. Unlike the McCaskey boys and their mom.

That's the difference right there. You would have had a "Football guy".

yeah, that's the impression i've always had because i'm pretty sure that papa bear employed mugs as some sort of "football guy" with the bears during the 60s/70s/etc.... it's just that i don't know for sure cuz i wanna say the kid died in ~81-83 or something? i really should google all of this but i was just hoping that someone like JORR or even yourself would pop up and let me know the deal from proper knowledge/experience over the years as opposed to my "edumacated" a priori knowledge/guesses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
The Halas's don't know dick about football...Finks & Vainisi were the only ones that knew their shit

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
sinicalypse wrote:
Ok so i need to lean on some of you older guys here cuz this is technically b4 my time, but how different would/could the bears franchise be if halas' son didnt die and therefore [presumably] he got the team instead of ginny/mccaskeys?

my dad likes to tell me that he knew a couple of halas kids [one was a police officer somewhere around here?] and that the halas-proper kids got a raw deal when the old man died and ginny+mccaskeys lawyered up and got their ship to come in. obviously i don't go far back enough to know about halas' son (muggs or muggsy or something?) but i figure some of you boomers here might remember him and therefore be able to shed some light on whether or not the [intended?] heir of the bears being him = we have a radically/different organ-I-zation nowadays, as i think it's pretty damn fair to put a lot of this current bears bullshit squarely on the shoulders of the mccaskeys up top [altho yes i know we're supposed to blame jay and clearly that man singlehandedly ruined us for ~10yrs! it wasn't the people at the top, they were sold a bill of goods on #6! and that's NOT #6 like the prisoner! duh!]

so yeah, can anyone with a little more experience than me perhaps enlighten me as to whether or not halas' son had a clue and maybe could have been the leader/savior that this franchise [clearly] needed?

The team was split between Mugs and Ginny if the old man died.

Mugs died first. Before the old man. His ex-wife got half of what was his. The McCaskeys sold 20% of team to Pat Ryan and Old man McKenna to pay her off. She got screwed out of nothing. Except by herself. She could have held onto her share and it would be worth 10 times what it was in the 80's. With brains like that, I'm not sure they can actually say with a straight face they would have made better decisions running a team then anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Seacrest wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Mugs died first. Before the old man. His ex-wife got half of what was his. The McCaskeys sold 20% of team to Pat Ryan and Old man McKenna to pay her off. She got screwed out of nothing. Except by herself. She could have held onto her share and it would be worth 10 times what it was in the 80's. With brains like that, I'm not sure they can actually say with a straight face they would have made better decisions running a team then anyone else.

So Mugs dies, his widow makes a bad financial decision and that disqualifies Mugs from being a capable head of the Bears?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

So Mugs dies, his widow makes a bad financial decision and that disqualifies Mugs from being a capable head of the Bears?

Mugs is dead. So, yeah...I think that disqualifies him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Seacrest wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Was that an answer? Or was your confusion over the wording not an act?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Was that an answer? Or was your confusion over the wording not an act?

Mugs is dead. He would have been in charge if he was alive. His sister would have much preferred it that way. She has said so publicly.

As for what he may have done, Neither I or anyone else here really knows. Walt seems to think he was an idiot. I think many folks like myself really didn't know how to discern where the old man ended and Mugs began.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I just remember that Mugs was a big horseracing fan. He was a regular at Arlington. JORR probably knew him.