It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
There was an anti-Hoyer thing in this town last year despite the following stats:

4 300 yard games in a row. one game almost 400 yards.NO INTS!!!

Also,he would not cost you 19 million.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Barkley & Hoyer both signed with 49ers now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
jimmypasta wrote:
There was an anti-Hoyer thing in this town last year despite the following stats:

So yards are more important than points and wins in your book? He went 1-5 with an average of 16 pts in the games you chose to highlight. The anti-Hoyer thing is based upon the fact that he is a lousy QB and appears to be nationwide sentiment rather than a provincial one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
They're trying to find the QB of the future, I think. So going out and over paying Glennon who is still young and possibly keeping Shaw on the roster is in line with that thinking.

Thing that I don't like atm is these moves coupled with recent Pace comments seem to indicate drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round this year is off the table. And depending on which QB's are still there in those rounds when the Bears pick - I'm not sure I agree with the approach. But it is what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

So yards are more important than points and wins in your book? He went 1-5 with an average of 16 pts in the games you chose to highlight. The anti-Hoyer thing is based upon the fact that he is a lousy QB and appears to be nationwide sentiment rather than a provincial one.

Not like Glennon had a terrific record either. Youth and potential are what caused the Bears to go with Glennon over Hoyer imo. If the Bears were a playoff level team with a stellar defense they'd most likely have stuck with game managing vet Hoyer instead of this move.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Pace is not taking a QB at 3. I don't think he ever wanted to. And there is no way Fox wants a QB at 3. This signing and the Shaw signing guarantees it. I also agree with NME. I don't see him taking one until round 3 or later. They whiffed on quality FA's so he has a built in excuse to not take a QB early.

Quickest way to get fired is for your 1st round QB to start and be bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am 

NME wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Not like Glennon had a terrific record either. Youth and potential are what caused the Bears to go with Glennon over Hoyer imo. If the Bears were a playoff level team with a stellar defense they'd most likely have stuck with game managing vet Hoyer instead of this move.

For the record, I'm not making an argument for Glennon. Just responding to the OP.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
The anti-Hoyer thing is based upon the fact that he is a lousy QB and appears to be nationwide sentiment rather than a provincial one.

You have no concept of what a lousy QB is. Hoyer is a decent, slightly above average starter, and undoubtedly an elite backup. Maybe you'll see that when you get your head out of your ass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Hoyer would represent the difference between 3 wins and 5 wins in 2017. So yea, he'd be a marginal upgrade over bringing Cutler back or letting the Matt Barkley circus back into town but not the kind the Bears should really bother with because they are better off losing more games without him. The odds that Hoyer has a Rich Gannon-like career renaissance and puts the team on his back are about 1 in 100.

Glennon, the guy they draft and even Shaw are all unknowns, and the combined odds of one of them being a guy who takes a 3 win team to the playoffs are about 1 in 25 (if they draft someone in the 2nd, it moves around depending where/if they draft a QB). They can keep looking and bringing guys until they get a hit on those odds, could happen this August could take 20 years but eventually they will find a guy if they keep up with this tactic. Meanwhile the roster slowly gets better as you can typically rely on Pace drafting competent players and identifying some promising players in free agency

I have no idea why this process didn't start when Pace first took the job two years ago and why we had to endure two more years of Jay Cutler just playing out the string. That to me is the one major knock on Pace, he either fell for the hype around Cutlers arm (I doubt this) or tricked himself into thinking Cutler was better than the other options and gave the team the best chance to win (MANY are doing this right now when they lament the Glennon deal). I think it was the latter, which is a stupid but ultimately forgivable miscalculation. They really believed they had a playoff team last season when the reality was they were probably 7 wins healthy and...well...we saw what happened if they didnt stay healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 pm 
Peoria Matt wrote:
Pace is not taking a QB at 3. I don't think he ever wanted to. And there is no way Fox wants a QB at 3. This signing and the Shaw signing guarantees it. I also agree with NME. I don't see him taking one until round 3 or later. They whiffed on quality FA's so he has a built in excuse to not take a QB early.

If Kizer slips to the end of round 1, I can see him making a move to grab him. #3 will be Adams or Allen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:43 pm 

whiskey dick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
The anti-Hoyer thing is based upon the fact that he is a lousy QB and appears to be nationwide sentiment rather than a provincial one.

You have no concept of what a lousy QB is. Hoyer is a decent, slightly above average starter, and undoubtedly an elite backup. Maybe you'll see that when you get your head out of your ass.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
I'll tell you why they didn't re-sign hoyer in one play...

DATELINE INDIANAPOLIS, bears losing to the colts ~28-23 with about 1min to 1min 30secs left. I wanna say that the bears had the ball between the colts ~35yd line and midfield.... I forget what down it was, but captain checkdown (hoyer) does his pre-snap reads and decides hat his #1 WR, Alshon, is double/covered or something so when he snaps the ball HE DOESNT EVEN BOTHER LOOKING TOWARDS HIS #1 WR/OPTION[?], who btw was single-covered by a guy who Alshon got 2-3 steps on as he posted/slanted to the middle of the endzone WIDE FUCKING OPEN for a potential game-winning TD... but captain checkdown didn't even look his way after the snap

SPECIAL BONUS 2ND PLAY/EXAMPLE>> Of course, in the game @ Green bay hoyer had Bellamy streaking 2-3 steps ahead of his single coverage and he actually saw him so he launched it.... And overshot an easy wide open TD by a good 5-10yds. I can't say I was overly devastated when hoyer broke his arm later that game! 8) 8)

I like to think the first example + a side/dessert of the 2nd example = why captain checkdown was never more than a relative-luxury backup QB for the bears!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

If Kizer slips to the end of round 1, I can see him making a move to grab him. #3 will be Adams or Allen.

I am hopeful of it being Adams. Pace has said all along that his objective was to retool the defensive backfield.

Allens shoulder issues would keep me away from taking him.

If they can get Adams at 3 and Kizer or Mahomes at the end of the first that will be a really good draft.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:57 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Anybody with the word fan in their username should be taken out back and shot. Take it from a long-time lurker - your posts are all AIDS-infested.

Zippy, you're a straight up dipshit for saying that a guy who posted ratings of 91.4 and 98 over the past two seasons is "lousy".

For the record, I'm fine with him going elsewhere because he'd have been a luxury backup on a shit team, as sini stated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

whiskey dick wrote:
Anybody with the word fan in their username should be taken out back and shot. Take it from a long-time lurker - your posts are all AIDS-infested.

Zippy, you're a straight up dipshit for saying that a guy who posted ratings of 91.4 and 98 over the past two seasons is "lousy".

For the record, I'm fine with him going elsewhere because he'd have been a luxury backup on a shit team, as sini stated.

Seems you're also only occasionally checking in on Bears games, or NFL football in general, if you think Hoyers stats mean anything. I take it you're also impressed by foul balls that travel 500 feet in the air and argue with your friends that the ball would have been a homer had the field only been wider. Yards, like your thoughts, are irrelevant.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:17 pm 

I don't think hoyer would have been here even if the bears were interested. He is the guaranteed starter under a coach who is familiar with him and has confidence in him in sf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Prevent defenses are a hell of a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
America wrote:
I have no idea why this process didn't start when Pace first took the job two years ago and why we had to endure two more years of Jay Cutler just playing out the string. That to me is the one major knock on Pace, he either fell for the hype around Cutlers arm (I doubt this) or tricked himself into thinking Cutler was better than the other options and gave the team the best chance to win

Door #3: I think Pace got the gig because he was the only candidate who promised Phillips and McCaskey that he could work with Cutler and save them the $$$ they'd have to eat by cutting him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 am 

Hoyer sucks. That is why.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
America wrote:
I have no idea why this process didn't start when Pace first took the job two years ago and why we had to endure two more years of Jay Cutler just playing out the string. That to me is the one major knock on Pace, he either fell for the hype around Cutlers arm (I doubt this) or tricked himself into thinking Cutler was better than the other options and gave the team the best chance to win

Door #3: I think Pace got the gig because he was the only candidate who promised Phillips and McCaskey that he could work with Cutler and save them the $$$ they'd have to eat by cutting him.

Agreed