It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Like The Pick
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 am 

I think you have to separate the pick from the trade.

The Pick

We (yes we) got the best QB (in terms of objectively graded evaluation) in the draft for the first time in our lifetimes, except for maybe jimmy. Further, I think he would have been the top QB taken in last year's draft as well (although he did have a lower objective grade). Even further than that he had a better objective grade than Marriotta who was taken at the same position two years ago. This was not an overdraft in terms of where QBs of his ability are historically chosen.

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky has a great bio as a pocket passer who is still an athletic QB. I think when we were first talking about QB after the season, we were talking about Allen from Wyoming. I dismissed him back then because of his accuracy but it got me to looking at completion percentages. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky stood out, even when taking into account the number of risky passes each QB is asked to throw. He also has a great TD/INT ratio which was also true when he was getting less playing time. Our number one complaint about Cutler has been eliminated with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. While no one has Cutler's arm, he has plenty of arm to go with the accuracy. He has gotten some complaints about his deep ball accuracy but the flip side of that is that he is tops in the draft for intermediate accuracy, which is where he is going to make his living over a career. He doesn't turn the ball over AND he is accurate. That alone is a recipe for success in the NFL.

He is also an athletic QB who I think has great escapability. I don't care about positive yard rushing (although he was good at that) as I don't want my QB running. I do care about his ability to scramble in order to make plays and he is adept at that. His biggest complaint might be staying in the pocket too long.

I wish he was a little more intelligent. This would help to speed his development. However, he is sufficiently intelligent to be a high level starting QB.

I wish he had shown more leadership, which is a hugely important trait in the difference between good and great QB.

So, he was objectively worthy of the #2 pick in the draft and subjectively has winning traits that we have been lacking at the position for years.

Post subject: Re: I Like The Pick
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Did you even see him play? I did, I'm not impressed, there is no way in hell this guy should go #2 overall. His completion ℅ is inflated with screen passes and 6 yard dumpoffs in the flat.. I'd wager everything I own that Mahomes and Watson have better careers and I wouldn't trade up for those guys.

This is a terrible day for Bear fans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I only hope that Pace and his team had an honest debate and came to the conclusion that this guy is a franchise QB. If he isn't, then it will go down as one of the worst picks in Bears history. You don't get that many cracks in the top 2/3 of the NFL draft, although if they're wrong, they may have more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Reeeaaallly sounds like you're talking yourself into liking this pick, GD.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
This pick has to work or this organization is screwed. It's a career make/break move by Pace and I will give him credit for having the balls to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:54 am 

The Trade

Look, I am was with most of you yesterday that Pace got pantsed on this trade. I still think he did. I think his leverage to the 49ers should have been "well boys, if you don't trade me that pick for a reasonable price, I'm taking your guy Solomon Thomas at #3". Instead, I think he showed desperation, after having missed out on guys he reportedly wanted the last two years in Mariotta and Wentz.

I blend the positions I have seen here in reviewing the trade. A 3 and 4 aren't insignificant. At the same time, we wouldn't have blinked at those if he was trying to move 2 or more spots. It's that one spot movement that sticks in our craw. Put this in perspective: the Bears traded a 4th to move up two spots last year to get Floyd. The difference between #9 and #2 is huge, which is reflected in the two third rounders. It was a steep price and I think it was more than necessary but it wasn't crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I think his leverage to the 49ers should have been "well boys, if you don't trade me that pick for a reasonable price, I'm taking your guy Solomon Thomas at #3".

I would be very curious if Pace even had that thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
good dolphin wrote:
I think you have to separate the pick from the trade.

The Pick

We (yes we) got the best QB (in terms of objectively graded evaluation) in the draft for the first time in our lifetimes, except for maybe jimmy. Further, I think he would have been the top QB taken in last year's draft as well (although he did have a lower objective grade). Even further than that he had a better objective grade than Marriotta who was taken at the same position two years ago. This was not an overdraft in terms of where QBs of his ability are historically chosen.

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky has a great bio as a pocket passer who is still an athletic QB. I think when we were first talking about QB after the season, we were talking about Allen from Wyoming. I dismissed him back then because of his accuracy but it got me to looking at completion percentages. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky stood out, even when taking into account the number of risky passes each QB is asked to throw. He also has a great TD/INT ratio which was also true when he was getting less playing time. Our number one complaint about Cutler has been eliminated with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. While no one has Cutler's arm, he has plenty of arm to go with the accuracy. He has gotten some complaints about his deep ball accuracy but the flip side of that is that he is tops in the draft for intermediate accuracy, which is where he is going to make his living over a career. He doesn't turn the ball over AND he is accurate. That alone is a recipe for success in the NFL.

He is also an athletic QB who I think has great escapability. I don't care about positive yard rushing (although he was good at that) as I don't want my QB running. I do care about his ability to scramble in order to make plays and he is adept at that. His biggest complaint might be staying in the pocket too long.

I wish he was a little more intelligent. This would help to speed his development. However, he is sufficiently intelligent to be a high level starting QB.

I wish he had shown more leadership, which is a hugely important trait in the difference between good and great QB.

So, he was objectively worthy of the #2 pick in the draft and subjectively has winning traits that we have been lacking at the position for years.

Spot on with everything you wrote. We got an elite NFL quarterback prospect. Bears fans are complaining about this???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am 

312player wrote:
Did you even see him play? I did, I'm not impressed, there is no way in hell this guy should go #2 overall. His completion ℅ is inflated with screen passes and 6 yard dumpoffs in the flat.. I'd wager everything I own that Mahomes and Watson have better careers and I wouldn't trade up for those guys.

I'd venture a guess that I saw him play more snaps than anyone on this board. I was watching him two years ago.

The facts do not support your opinion on completion %. He was fifth in the nation in intermediate completion percentage and I believe #1 in this draft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:
This pick has to work or this organization is screwed. It's a career make/break move by Pace and I will give him credit for having the balls to do it.

It doesn't take balls to be a fucking idiot, it's the lack of brains that's being confused with having balls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
To be instantly upset that the Bears drafted a QB in in the first round is beyond stupid. The franchise needed this kind of jolt.
To be certain that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will be a bust because of your hackjob "scouting report" is retarded. Nobody in the league, were talking paid professionals, has cracked the code to scouting QB's. If you think you have you should start your career as an NFL scout because you will eventually make a ton of money.
To be upset that the Bears gave up some mediocre draft picks (that they can easily get back starting tonight) is missing the forest for the trees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Peoria Matt wrote:

That's not true, they only spent one first/second round pick to get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. The investment, even compared to what the Chiefs and Texans gave up this year, was relatively small.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:06 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Reeeaaallly sounds like you're talking yourself into liking this pick, GD.

I'm looking at it objectively and eliminating the bias from the trade.

I was looking at the Jets taking Adams yesterday and thinking, "I think he is going to be a great player. I don't think he changes the Jets trajectory".

I hadn't given as much consideration to positional impact as I should have in my pre draft, as that was Rick's argument and logical points tend to get a bit obscured when he is arguing a point.

You cannot argue that this pick doesn't change the Bear team trajectory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:18 am 

America wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

That's not true, they only spent one first/second round pick to get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. The investment, even compared to what the Chiefs and Texans gave up this year, was relatively small.

Only if Pace continues to draft QBs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I think his leverage to the 49ers should have been "well boys, if you don't trade me that pick for a reasonable price, I'm taking your guy Solomon Thomas at #3".

why does that matter? S.F. just takes Thomas at #2 then. the only way this makes sense is if Cleveland was trying to get to #2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

why does that matter? S.F. just takes Thomas at #2 then. the only way this makes sense is if Cleveland was trying to get to #2.

I'm guessing SF wanted to trade down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
312player wrote:

If all you seen of him was screen passes and dump offs you did not see him play.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

because then you get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky for no additional cost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Peoria Matt wrote:

I'm not even inclined to give him that kind of credit. He was probably screwed by the end of the season anyway after ignoring the best free agents at multiple positions of need in order to bid against himself for Tampa Bay's backup QB. Now he can cover his ass and another season of suck can be swept under the carpet because don't worry Bears fans, the quarterback of the future is going to be ready for 2018!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 am 

pittmike wrote:
312player wrote:

If all you seen of him was screen passes and dump offs you did not see him play.

He wasn't asked to throw anyone open, routinely make tougher throws in traffic or quick hits outside the numbers. I never saw much of him moving comfortably in the pocket, or throwing passes with much heat.

And the love for him is centered primarily on his Florida State game, which imo was against a bad defense, and which asks you to completely ignore the Va Tech game in the most abysmal of his 13 starts.

Plus he's a one year "wonder" w/o eye popping measurables and imo an average game day arm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Despite the actual play on the field they have been adamant that "they're close" so I guess it's not surprising in that regard. They seem to think that they have far more talent than everyone else in the world does. What are the chances of the this regime developing a QB? I'm sure MANY have mentioned this but the Cam Newton comp based on the # of starts shows just how overcovered the draft is. People will say anything to fill time.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

DannyB wrote:
I'm sure MANY have mentioned this but the Cam Newton comp based on the # of starts shows just how overcovered the draft is. People will say anything to fill time.

MANY that may mention that comparison don't know anything about actually playing a sport.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If the 49ers weren't interested in the Bears offer (or anyone else's), they would have just taken Thomas at #2. We don't even know what teams even made offers to SF other than Chicago and what these offers were. I don't think SF was forced to take (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky at #2, they just got a great offer from Chicago that didn't impact their ability to take the guy they probably wanted all along. Pace didn't want to take any chances, probably know Cleveland could be a threat to move in front of them and gambled on getting his top rated QB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:34 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
312player wrote:

He wasn't asked to throw anyone open, routinely make tougher throws in traffic or quick hits outside the numbers. I never saw much of him moving comfortably in the pocket, or throwing passes with much heat.

And the love for him is centered primarily on his Florida State game, which imo was against a bad defense, and which asks you to completely ignore the Va Tech game in the most abysmal of his 13 starts.

Plus he's a one year "wonder" w/o eye popping measurables and imo an average game day arm

He was .01 behind Watson in the 40, .08 in front of him in the 3 cone (tops in QB group), .06 in front of him in the 20 yard shuttle. He has some pretty good measurables. His height is only average for a QB but he has a very durable frame. His arm is not in question. It is not average.

The hate for him is based in his bowl game where he was being harassed by the #3 player in the draft.

He had to have thrown somebody open because unlike Watson, he wasn't playing with any other top picks on his team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Peoria Matt wrote:
America wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Only if Pace continues to draft QBs.
Correct. They are committed to (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky for the next several years even if he's bad. In that case the organization is screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
312player wrote:

He was .01 behind Watson in the 40, .08 in front of him in the 3 cone (tops in QB group), .06 in front of him in the 20 yard shuttle. He has some pretty good measurables. His height is only average for a QB but he has a very durable frame. His arm is not in question. It is not average.

The hate for him is based in his bowl game where he was being harassed by the #3 player in the draft.

He had to have thrown somebody open because unlike Watson, he wasn't playing with any other top picks on his team.

A 4.67 isn't eye popping.

The "hate for him" is based upon the unwarranted rise in his stock, as it is for each QB in recent memory except Watson, who actually did something in college. And lead his team for more than a minute.

Patrick Mahomes is in the same boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm 

I love Watson. I think he is in a great situation in Houston. He won games for his team on the biggest stage. His inaccuracy is more than just being asked to throw people open. He was playing with a top 10 WR and a mid round TE. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky was throwing to Bug.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
No you don't, but I understand why you need to.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Take your last gasp of fresh air as the window closes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Take your last gasp of fresh air as the window closes

They'll get another All Pro when Rodgers is finally done in 2024.

To rock my soul