It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Wisdom of Hub
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Yesterday, I tuned into the afternoon show on the Score when Hub happened to be on talking about great QBs in the NFL and where they were drafted. Based on what he said, when he was discussing the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, etc., it seems there really is no correlation between where you are drafted and how you will perform as an NFL quarterback. Brady, of course, is the prime example. Who would have thought that a sixth rounder would have turned to be the GOAT (though I still think that Fouts had a better arm)? That said, it seems the best strategy for taking a QB is not drafting them in the top 5 or even the first round, but finding your guy in the latter rounds and hoping that he develops. Though I'm willing to give (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky a chance and hopes he succeeds, I have to think now that paying the farm for this guy was a mistake, as was trading for Cutler when we gave away two first-rounders.

The proof is in the pudding. Just look at this list of the all-time greats and where they were drafted.

Tom Brady - Drafted: 2000, 6th round, No. 199 overall by New England Patriots
Russell Wilson - Drafted: 2012, 3rd round, No. 75 overall by Seattle Seahawks
Drew Brees - Drafted: 2001, 2nd round, No. 32 overall by San Diego Chargers
Kurt Warner - Drafted: Undrafted
Brett Favre - Drafted: 1991, 2nd round, No. 33 overall by Atlanta Falcons
Steve Young Drafted: 1984 supplemental draft, 1st round, No. 1 overall by Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Mark Rypien - Drafted: 1986, 6th round, No. 146 overall by Washington Redskins
Jeff Hostetler - Drafted: 1984, 3rd round, No. 59 overall by New York Giants
Joe Montana - Drafted: 1979, 3rd round, No. 72 overall by San Francisco 49ers
Joe Theismann - Drafted: 1971, 4th round, No. 79 overall by Miami Dolphins
Dan Fouts - Drafted: 1973, 3rd round by San Diego Chargers
Roger Staubach - Drafted: 1964, 10th round, No. 129 overall by Dallas Cowboys
Ken Stabler - Drafted: 1968, 2nd round, No. 52 overall by Oakland Raiders
Johnny Unitas - Drafted: 1955, 9th round, No. 102 overall by Pittsburgh Steelers

Post subject: Re: The Wisdom of Hub
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
After the Glennon signing when it appeared the Bears would be drafting a QB in the second round or later the narrative was the opposite of this, that the higher you draft a QB the better chance he had of succeeding. But, now that the Bears shocked the football world and did what nobody saw coming, the narrative has flipped literally overnight. I dont know where the media's anti-Bears bias is coming from or why it even exists, but it is clear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I just think you have to consider what you're giving up in exchange for the value you get in return. I don't hate that the Bears picked (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky -I hate what they gave up value wise to get him. Especially if its true they got bluffed into it. The Bears should have identified several players that they'd be happy with at that #3 pick and been patient (if keeping that pic) to see what fell to them there. I have more understanding for teams trading up from late in the 1st to get guys like Watson and so on.

The (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pick itself, considering what you gave up, makes even less sense when you have already been bad for your 1st two seasons on watch and show no signs of improvement in those seasons -only to go and pick a guy at the start of your 3rd draft that won't sniff the field (in theory) until your 4th year. This basically negates almost every move you made in those 1st 2 seasons because you're saying the rebuild starts now, not 2 years ago when it was supposed to. This shows incompetence and reveals that you either had no plan, or just did a bad job those 1st two seasons therefore giving no one any reason to have confidence in your decisions going forward.

Last edited by NME on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm 

Well the Bears can be as bad as they want next year without worrying about giving up high draft picks to select the top QB the year before. That's a pretty key element to why this (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky wasn't so bad...you look at both the top 2 QB's drafted last year and it cost those teams a lot to move up. Philly kind of made up for it with an astute trade of Bradford to Minnesota, but the Rams had to eat shit.

Bears will not be in that position next year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:30 pm 

America wrote:
Well the Bears can be as bad as they want next year without worrying about giving up high draft picks to select the top QB the year before. That's a pretty key element to why this (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky wasn't so bad...you look at both the top 2 QB's drafted last year and it cost those teams a lot to move up. Philly kind of made up for it with an astute trade of Bradford to Minnesota, but the Rams had to eat shit.

Bears will not be in that position next year.

That, and they picked a guy that worked out and came in right away the season he was drafted to play. The Bears didn't give up all those picks this year to move up 1 spot for that same thing. They paid all that for a guy they think could be the future but isn't good enough to play right now. That makes no sense in todays NFL.

We're being told that season 3 is a wash after Pace was supposed to already have been rebuilding this team 2 years ago. Pace doesn't know what he is doing. There is no way around this part of the conversation imo.

Last edited by NME on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:31 pm 

America wrote:
After the Glennon signing when it appeared the Bears would be drafting a QB in the second round or later the narrative was the opposite of this, that the higher you draft a QB the better chance he had of succeeding. But, now that the Bears shocked the football world and did what nobody saw coming, the narrative has flipped literally overnight. I dont know where the media's anti-Bears bias is coming from or why it even exists, but it is clear.

If there is an anti-Bears media person, it is not Hub. And I don't think he made his comments to be critical of the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pick necessarily, but rather was simply pointing out the lack of correlation between draft position and performance, which I found insightful. There is no magic formula for getting the QB position right, including drafting one very high. It really comes down to a numbers game and getting lucky, though of course it helps to have good scouting to find value.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I'm sorry, but picking a QB in the 3rd round or later and having them go on to be Hall of Fame caliber is just pure luck. Statistics say QB's drafted in the 1st round do have a much better chance of being what you would call a "Franchise Caliber QB". Top 5-8 in the league at their position and good enough to win a Superbowl with.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
The Wisdom of Hub sounds like a bad late-stage Elvis song.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:35 pm 

NME wrote:
This basically negates almost every move you made in those 1st 2 seasons because you're saying the rebuild starts now, not 2 years ago when it was supposed to. This shows incompetence and reveals that you either had no plan, or just did a bad job those 1st two seasons therefore giving no one any reason to have confidence in your decisions going forward.

Yes, this is what I've been saying.

But I also believe that Pace and Fox thought they could do something with Cutler, but most fans in Chicago were dubious of this. We knew better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
NME wrote:
This basically negates almost every move you made in those 1st 2 seasons because you're saying the rebuild starts now, not 2 years ago when it was supposed to. This shows incompetence and reveals that you either had no plan, or just did a bad job those 1st two seasons therefore giving no one any reason to have confidence in your decisions going forward.

Yes, this is what I've been saying.

But I also believe that Pace and Fox thought they could do something with Cutler, but most fans in Chicago were dubious of this. We knew better.

Possibly. But I never got the feeling Fox or Pace had the same affection for Cutler previous regimes did. I think they knew what they had, but were also stuck with his contract for a short period of time is all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:45 pm 

They without a doubt became enchanted with Cutler. If there was ever a reason to fire them all that is it...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:30 pm 

America wrote:
They without a doubt became enchanted with Cutler. If there was ever a reason to fire them all that is it...

Their actions didn't reflect that. Signing Hoyer last year, getting rid of Forte and Bennett, their non-committal comments in the media that drew some attention and getting rid of him as soon as the contract allowed for it without too much of a hit. I never felt Fox and Pace were sold on Cutler. They were just stuck with him for a little longer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm 

I keep reading on here this thought that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is not going to play this year, is not ready, etc. Are Pace and the Bears actually saying this or is this just being assumed by the fact that they signed Glennon?

I don't think Wentz was drafted with the idea that he was going to be the immediate day one starter, was he?

I don't think they really know what they have in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky until they see him on the field. Surely he is going to be given a chance to see if he is better than Glennon or not. Sure as of today Glennon is the starter, but I doubt it would take too much for that to change.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
RFDC wrote:
I keep reading on here this thought that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is not going to play this year, is not ready, etc. Are Pace and the Bears actually saying this or is this just being assumed by the fact that they signed Glennon?

“There’s no quarterback competition when Mitch gets here,” Pace said. “Glennon is our starting quarterback. We’ll focus on Mitch’s development and Mike Glennon winning games for the Chicago Bears.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:32 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
RFDC wrote:

“There’s no quarterback competition when Mitch gets here,” Pace said. “Glennon is our starting quarterback. We’ll focus on Mitch’s development and Mike Glennon winning games for the Chicago Bears.”

Thanks. Hadn't read that.

I gotta think that is just the company line today since they do not actually know what they have. If comes to camp and impresses people that could easily change. Plus they are trying to appease Glennon who I am sure was not happy with the pick.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm 

Also, (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky said in one of his interviews that he was told Glennon would be the starter fwiw

Bernstein brought up something similar to your comments as well RFDC -that you can't go off anything they say as law either. But signing Gennon to a 14 million dollar contract with an eye on drafting a rookie QB as your starter seems a bit odd and inconsistent. And if not that, flat out incompetent.

As someone mentioned on this board earlier, it's possible Pace became enamoured with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky after the fact.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm 

Nah it makes sense really. QB assets carry immense value in the league today...the best case scenario for the Bears (both look great) will result in an actual kings ransom (not just a couple day 3 picks) for whoever QB they decide to deal. This is the league where two firsts wasn't enough for Jimmy Garappolo and Minnesota just handed Philly a first for dogshit Sam Bradford. If Glennon is even average the Bears will flip him from a considerable return a year from now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
I dont know where the media's anti-Bears bias is coming from or why it even exists, but it is clear.

Well, people like to kick teams when they're down, and few teams in sports are as down as the Bears. When you've missed the playoffs twelve of the last fifteen seasons and six in a row (this is very hard to do in the NFL), every questionable move is a bad move and every bad move is a franchise-breaker. Maybe it's not fair, but what's really not fair is the local media lavishing unending coverage on a team that sucks so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

If there is an anti-Bears media person, it is not Hub.

what? in almost every segment i've heard from him, he is pulling teeth to pay a compliment to the bears in any capacity. he seems to revel in their losses and has to be dragged through fire to give them any credit.

mark rypien...is like eli manning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:
I dont know where the media's anti-Bears bias is coming from or why it even exists, but it is clear.

Well, people like to kick teams when they're down, and few teams in sports are as down as the Bears. When you've missed the playoffs twelve of the last fifteen seasons and six in a row (this is very hard to do in the NFL), every questionable move is a bad move and every bad move is a franchise-breaker. Maybe it's not fair, but what's really not fair is the local media lavishing unending coverage on a team that sucks so bad.

Very accurate. Listening to Hamp and OB this afternoon on GN, they said nothing that was unfair in their criticism. Pace and the Bears were eviscerated by them. I've never heard such critical sports radio coverage of the Bears in my life. It's like a bomb went off. OB was especially fired up, just like those days with Doug.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I think part of it is the local media's displeasure with being forced to cover such an uninteresting trainwreck of a team when they'd rather just jerk off to Theo Epstein all day (or comment on national NBA stories...).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I think part of it is the local media's displeasure with being forced to cover such an uninteresting trainwreck of a team when they'd rather just jerk off to Theo Epstein all day (or comment on national NBA stories...).

Yeah. And on a national level, you can see that Bears fans tend to be a lot more glass-half-full than the perpetual garment-renders in New York and Philadelphia (this Lubinski pick is the exception that proves the rule), so I think there's a sense of cutting those big meaty simpletons down to size.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Hub just told Spiegel that the notion that Ryan Pace can't evaluate quarterbacks is unfair.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Tad Queasy wrote:
Hub just told Spiegel that the notion that Ryan Pace can't evaluate quarterbacks is unfair.

Glennon, (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky, and Foles not enough evidence?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Tad Queasy wrote:
What did Spiegel say?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hub is pointing out Mitch was Pace's pick. Foles on Nagy. Glennon a 1 year stopgap. So Pace's only screwed up one evaluation. This bizarre apologist statement might haunt Hub for quite awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Olin is the only guy on the score that gives you unique Bears thoughts. Hub has devolved into a team apologist at this point and gives you laughably absurd team friendly takes you used to only get from the Bears reporter guys like Grote and Zaidman.

George really should have thought about protecting the future of the team because the only thing Pace can really do to save his job is give up future draft capital to move up in the draft or trade for a QB, leaving the cupboard bare for whoever takes over after next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: She/Him
vitoscotti wrote:
Hub is pointing out Mitch was Pace's pick. Foles on Nagy. Glennon a 1 year stopgap. So Pace's only screwed up one evaluation. This bizarre apologist statement might haunt Hub for quite awhile.

You don't give 3 years and $45 million to a one year stopgap. Is Hub outside his mind?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
I have no idea why but I actually enjoy listening to Hubs takes. I don’t follow the Bears as closely as I do the Cubs, so maybe that’s why.

But his spots with Parkins usually make for good radio. By modern 670 standards anyways

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Olin is the only guy on the score that gives you unique Bears thoughts. Hub has devolved into a team apologist at this point and gives you laughably absurd team friendly takes you used to only get from the Bears reporter guys like Grote and Zaidman.

George really should have thought about protecting the future of the team because the only thing Pace can really do to save his job is give up future draft capital to move up in the draft or trade for a QB, leaving the cupboard bare for whoever takes over after next year.

My original post shows you don't have to draft a QB high to land a great QB. It did not help the Bears moving up to get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. Mahomes is an exception.

You are better off drafting QBs for value.