It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
deadspin post with anonymous quotes from league execs

http://deadspin.com/the-bears-mitch-tru ... 1794796075
Quote:
“We don’t know what the hell they were doing,” said an executive from one team that is routinely in the postseason. “It’s all anyone is talking about. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox. Fox is fuming about being left in the dark on the trade (for (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky). I don’t know anyone who likes their draft. From the first pick on, we can’t figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox.

An executive from another team noted: “Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don’t know it yet.”

49er's new brass confused as to what the bears are doing

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san- ... peter-king

Quote:
The Bears and Niners had an understanding that if Chicago’s man was still on the board after Cleveland picked (Chicago GM Ryan Pace wouldn’t tell Lynch who Player X was; the Niners figured it was Thomas), the Bears would give at least two third-round picks to move from three to two.

[...]

“See if we can get one last thing with Chicago,” Lynch said to Marathe.

Marathe called the Bears. “To try to solidify this now,” Marathe said to Pace, “we’re gonna need a little bit more to finish. It wouldn’t have to be much. Like, your four. So let’s say your third, 67 overall, this year, your three next year, and your four this year, 111 overall … I’m not gonna string you along … No … I will do it quickly. Let me get with John and Kyle and I’ll call you right back.”

The Bears agreed. They’d give two third-round picks and a fourth-rounder to move up one spot.

“Man, who do they want?” Lynch said. “Gotta be Solomon, right?”

“Call me crazy,” Marathe said. “But I think it’s (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.”

“Then why’d they go get Glennon?” Lynch said.

Here's Rich Campbell's take on the fact that the bears INVITED Glennon to their official draft party only to end up drafting his replacement.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... olumn.html

Quote:
Mike Glennon was, of all places, at Soldier Field on Thursday night when the Bears changed the course of franchise history and sent shockwaves through the NFL draft. The team had asked its starting quarterback to attend the Miller Lite Bears draft party on the club level.

So much for being a guest of honor, huh?

Because Glennon showed up, we can assume the Bears' invitation didn't include the part about trading up to draft North Carolina quarterback Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky with the No. 2 pick.

Hey, Mike, can you make it out to Soldier Field for this thing Thursday? We need you to sign a few autographs and shake a few hands after we crush your hopes and make you a lame-duck starter before you take your first practice rep. Cool?

what a shitstorm, all we are missing now in this comedy of errors is a Ryan Pace twitter account posting "fake news, sad!" It's now public knowledge that Ryan Pace couldn't trust John Fox with his plan to get (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky (why else would you withhold that plan from your coach?)

Last edited by billypootons on Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
This is a fucking mess

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
On Saturday Adam Hoge was very adamant that there is no evidence Pace got fleeced in the deal to move up to #2. He also said that he would know if there were because he's a reporter.

So, you know... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:08 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tad Queasy wrote:
On Saturday Adam Hoge was very adamant that there is no evidence Pace got fleeced in the deal to move up to #2. He also said that he would know if there were because he's a reporter.

Was that Saturday night? I heard that and ZZ also said the defense will be much improved mainly because Goldman is back and no one can run on him.

I like Goldman but that's a lot of confidence.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:10 pm 

Haven't King and Rappaport said there was another call for the #2 pick?

Either way it does not matter. This is what we got.

Pace has put his entire career on the line for this QB.

I do not give a flying fuck what Glennon thinks or feels. You got 18 million dollars. Stop being mad and show everyone that you deserve to be QB1

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Was that Saturday night? I heard that and ZZ also said the defense will be much improved mainly because Goldman is back and no one can run on him.

Why would you pay attention to ZZ's hopelessly biased analysis in the first place?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Why would you pay attention to ZZ's hopelessly biased analysis in the first place?

I was in the car in the middle of nowhere at 10pm on a Saturday night. What else is on?

I was wondering why he was bothering to call in to the Chris Emma and Greg Gabriel show at that hour.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Haven't King and Rappaport said there was another call for the #2 pick?

Either way it does not matter. This is what we got.

Pace has put his entire career on the line for this QB.

I do not give a flying fuck what Glennon thinks or feels. You got 18 million dollars. Stop being mad and show everyone that you deserve to be QB1

That's what people say, but it's entirely possible the 49ers were spreading such a rumor to sucker Pace into bidding against himself.

Whatever the case, this is the strangest draft I've witnessed as a Bears fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The Bears simply had to have Glennon at their draft party or otherwise other teams may have suspected they wanted a quarterback and they wouldn't have gotten such a great deal for the second pick. Ryan Pace is playing 4-dimensional chess.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
There does seem like so odd bias towards the Bears. Mully has been defending them since the day after the 1st round. He makes arguments that are not even coherent.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Very true.

And if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a franchise QB none of it will matter.

If he is a bust, it will become another nail in the coffin of this franchise over the last 30 years.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Cashman wrote:
There does seem like so odd bias towards the Bears. Mully has been defending them since the day after the 1st round. He makes arguments that are not even coherent.

Mully quickly distanced himself from his assertion 3 weeks ago that kizer is the right pick at 3

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Cashman wrote:

Yeah, Mulligan has been tying himself in knots trying to justify this buffoonery.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Very true.

And if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a franchise QB none of it will matter.

If he is a bust, it will become another nail in the coffin of this franchise over the last 30 years.

Depends on what your definition of a " franchise QB" is. Most of you guys said Cutler was a franchise QB.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It really is sort of embarrassing how big a laughingstock this team has become since 2010 or so.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It really is sort of embarrassing how big a laughingstock this team has become since 2010 or so.

Goes back farther than that....at least to the McGinnis fiasco.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They made the Super Bowl in 2006 and the NFC Championship game in 2010. Lovie kept the franchise more than respectable. Since he was fired they've become one of the 3-4 worst teams and worst-run teams in all of football.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Tad Queasy wrote:

Adam Hoge is also the guy who always stood up for Cutler. He does that contrarian shtick very terribly.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They made the Super Bowl in 2006 and the NFC Championship game in 2010. Lovie kept the franchise more than respectable. Since he was fired they've become one of the 3-4 worst teams and worst-run teams in all of football.

True. So Lovie was he parenthesis in their laughingstock status.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
It doesn't get any worse than this. Other teams are making fun of us to the press, and the other team is publicizing how they fleeced us.

Even the 1970 Marshall team thinks we can't go any lower.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
It doesn't get any worse than this. Other teams are making fun of us to the press, and the other team is publicizing how they fleeced us.

Too soon man

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:

Ran into some people talking about the draft so I joined in. When I told them I'm from Chicago they immediately started laughing. :shock:

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
If Trubiski is good, none of this matters. If he sucks, Pace could have stood firm at #3, drafted him, and still would have been fired. It's an interesting story, but at the end of the day they gave up some middle round picks. It's not even as bad as Minnesotta giving up a 1st for Bradford.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 pm 

When you break down Glennon's contract(the guaranteed money), he really is on a 1 year "prove it" deal. I thought it was common knowledge there was a high probability of the Bears drafting a quarterback in the 1st three rounds this year? Would Glennon have been less shocked/upset if they took Kizer in the 2nd round?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Caller Bob wrote:
When you break down Glennon's contract(the guaranteed money), he really is on a 1 year "prove it" deal. I thought it was common knowledge there was a high probability of the Bears drafting a quarterback in the 1st three rounds this year? Would Glennon have been less shocked/upset if they took Kizer in the 2nd round?

But at that point why not keep Cutler at $12m as a backup (whom I despise, but with his myriad faults is better than Glennon)? Then just start (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky this year, as there is almost no chance the Bears make the playoffs anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm 

I disagree that Cutler is better than Glennon(now), especially when you consider "availability"

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Tad Queasy wrote:

It was Saturday, around 5:00 or so.

Caller Bob wrote:

That's what I thought, that it was common knowledge that Glennon was brought in as a bridge guy, which is why I'm not sure where this "Mike Glennon got screwed." stuff is coming from.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm 

It really got all fucked up when he reached on Sheehan. He did a nice job of trading down, getting back some picks then blows it, foolishly.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Caller Bob wrote:
I disagree that Cutler is better than Glennon(now), especially when you consider "availability"

Yeah, I forgot about his torn labrum.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm 

Quote:
Dan Wiederer‏
@danwiederer

Notable: Asked about being a HC handling a face-of-franchise rookie QB, John Fox said he's talked to his friend Jeff Fisher about it.

This should put Bears fans minds at ease.

To rock my soul