It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:16 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
That's just a dumber way for Hampton to talk about how much he hates McMahon.

He should let it go. McMahon is no longer on the Bears.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Noneoo
86 Bears did not have home field advantage in the playoffs. The NY Giants did. If the Bears made the champ game it would be in NY.

The team hated Flutie. They wanted Fuller or Tomzack. DITKA's ego got in the way of rational thinking. Flutie was also calling plays not in the Bears playbook and expecting the Bears receivers to know the plays. The WRs started hating him too.

Cutler hahaha. He would not have lasted 2 games in 86.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Also the 86 defense was statistically better but it wasn't better than 85.

Stats can't trump your eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:08 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Also the 86 defense was statistically better but it wasn't better than 85.

Stats can't trump your eyes.

They called the 86 D the 'bend not break' D. It was nowhere close to dominant as the 85 Bears D. It allowed the least points but if you were a fan back then you could clearly see it was not the 85 buddy Ryan D.

The closest thing th Bears had to the 85 D was in 87. They were dominant like in 85 but the players strike ended that. When the regulars came back from the strike, the D just didn't play that dominant style like it did in the first 3 weeks of the season.

A shame those teams only won 1 SB and never got back to one. They blew 2 playoff games late vs WASH in back to back years.

I would blame the EGo's on that team more than McMahon. I don't listen to anything Hampton says about those teams anyway. Guy is so bitter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
RFDC wrote:
Beardown wrote:
RFDC wrote:
They would have won multiple Superbowls if McMahon was able to stay healthy.

When he was healthy he was a better QB than Cutler. He had everything that Cutler had, but was smarter.

Punkie QBs health is what derailed that train

No. He didn't have everything Cutler had. He didn't have his arm nor his athletic ability. Yes, you're right about him being smarter. Yes, they would have won in 1986 if McMahon played against the Redskins in that playoff game. Would have went on to win the SB. Both Cutler and McMahon would have won that year.

McMahon's arm was above average. It was not crazy strong like Cutler. But it was good enough to make every throw that Cutler could make.

McMahon was every bit as athletic as Cutler. It was why he was able to play with so much reckless abandon.
McMahon was very average. He couldn't throw a spiral if his life depended on it. Yes he ran with reckless abandon but he had a rag arm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Beardown wrote:
RFDC wrote:
They would have won multiple Superbowls if McMahon was able to stay healthy.

When he was healthy he was a better QB than Cutler. He had everything that Cutler had, but was smarter.

Punkie QBs health is what derailed that train

No. He didn't have everything Cutler had. He didn't have his arm nor his athletic ability. Yes, you're right about him being smarter. Yes, they would have won in 1986 if McMahon played against the Redskins in that playoff game. Would have went on to win the SB. Both Cutler and McMahon would have won that year.

McMahon's arm was above average. It was not crazy strong like Cutler. But it was good enough to make every throw that Cutler could make.

McMahon was every bit as athletic as Cutler. It was why he was able to play with so much reckless abandon.
McMahon was very average. He couldn't throw a spiral if his life depended on it. Yes he ran with reckless abandon but he had a rag arm.

Right. Maybe a tick above average on the arm strength. McMahon admitted he couldn't throw a spiral consistently. Yeah, McMahon would run every now and then. But he wasn't fast. He took hits. In an era where there was no sliding to protect yourself. Defense was allowed to blast you in the head. He was a tough SOB. So was Cutler.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Beardown, you've been wrong about Cutler for 9 years, your opinion means dick. Cutler was not a tough SOB, he wouldn't last 7 starts under the 80s style NFL. He turns the ball over at an obscene rate, turnovers lose games. Wake up man, the guy was garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jay Cutler vs. Doug Flutie

You guys are fucking idiots.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Cutler played out of position at QB. He should've been a corner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am 
1000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:
Cutler played out of position at QB. He should've been a corner.

No. Not fast enough to be a good corner. Probably couldn't turn hips well enough for that position. But I'll bet Cutler would have been a hell of a safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I don't think Cutler was the problem with the Bears. Lovie Smith had bad offensive coordinators like Mike Martz who got Greg Olsen traded and Cutler sacked repeatedly. The lack of good offensive line talent and wide receivers hindered Cutler from being a great quarterback with the team.

You have to remember that if Cutler doesn't break his thumb the team probably makes the playoffs in 2011. In 2012 and 2013 the team was one game away from the playoffs. A couple more breaks the Bears way that's four years in the playoffs in a row.

The problem was by the time the team got the offense together the defense dropped off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
I don't think Cutler was the problem with the Bears. Lovie Smith had bad offensive coordinators like Mike Martz who got Greg Olsen traded and Cutler sacked repeatedly. The lack of good offensive line talent and wide receivers hindered Cutler from being a great quarterback with the team.

Orlando Pace
J'Marcus Webb
Gabe Carimi

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 pm 

87 was the year they really wet themselves. Pounded the defending champion Giants on MNF. They looked dominant then the strike happened and Ditka pissed off the players. Window closed then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
87 was the year they really wet themselves. Pounded the defending champion Giants on MNF. They looked dominant then the strike happened and Ditka pissed off the players. Window closed then.

Yeah. The Redskins went on to win it that year with Doug Williams. Bears lost to them at home in the playoffs that year as well. That was Payton's last year.

But the window sure as hell didn't close.

In 1988 they made it to the NFC title game. It was at Soldier Field. Montana and the 49ers killed them. 49ers went on to win the SB. That's when the window closed. They went 5-11 in 1989.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bottom line, from 1984-1988, they should have won at least 2 Super Bowls. Cutler would have got at least two. Maybe three.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Bottom line, from 1984-1988, they should have won at least 2 Super Bowls. Cutler would have got at least two. Maybe three.

Maybe 0. You know he was at best a league average starter right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Maybe 0. You know he was at best a league average starter right?

Yeah. We didn't have a league average starter in 1986. Once again, we had Doug Flutie. And I think Fuller started the NFC title game in 1984. But I could be wrong. He wasn't a league average starter either.

By the way, if he didn't bust up his knee, Cutler might have beaten the Packers in that NFC title game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
All this is is part 10 of all Jay needed was an historic defense, a HOF running back, great offensive line and all pro receivers and he would've been good argument

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
All this is is part 10 of all Jay needed was an historic defense, a HOF running back, great offensive line and all pro receivers and he would've been good argument

Right. I'm not saying Cutler was the only one that could have won multiple SBs with that team (Obviously the elite ones. But several average to slightly above average QBs as well.) Hundreds of QBs in NFL history could have done it. Just commenting on what Hampton said. He brought up Cutler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
The '86 version of Flutie was a joke - pure Ditka ego. As for Cutler, it's possible but to all those dissing McMahon, the guy was a warrior. No way McMahon comes out of the NFC Championship game like Cutler did. No way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:58 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
The '86 version of Flutie was a joke - pure Ditka ego. As for Cutler, it's possible but to all those dissing McMahon, the guy was a warrior. No way McMahon comes out of the NFC Championship game like Cutler did. No way.

This

People tend to have short memories. If you remember the hype leading into Cutlers NFC champ game, there was a piece about how 'Jay' didn't want to be 'the guy'. It came right out of his mouth in the piece. When I heard that I knew the Bears were not going to the SB and beating the pack. Then after they loss all the diabetic excuses were being thrown out for Cutlers decision not to continue. I remember telling a friend when he was winning games how come this diabetic angle was never mentioned.

McMahon was not a great qb. But he was a great leader. All the Bears qbs since him don't come close to leadership and grit jimmy mac had. And I think that's one reason Hampton hates him - straight out jealousy that the team and fans remember that about McMahon and not so much about Hampton.

If Steve Fuller was starting up instead of Flutie the Bears beat the skins in 86. Flutie threw so many bad picks in that game. I use to think the Bears would have beat the Giants @NY in the champ game but now I doubt it. The 86 season for the Giants was like the 85 season for the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Welcome, cageylurker!

You will soon be pronounced the most offensive/prejudiced/racist/homophobic poster in board history and chased away from posting soon. Nice getting to know you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:01 am 

So basically the same is true of harbaugh, miller, and kramer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 am 
100000 CLUB

'77Cubs wrote:
No way McMahon comes out of the NFC Championship game like Cutler did. No way.
I don't think a warrior would have played with torn/strained tendons in his knee. The worst part of that NFC fiasco was how the Bears handled it. Had they accurately reported that Cutler's knee was hurt and he was out for the game, it would have been almost a non story.

A couple years later, Cutler missed a very short time with a torn groin. I hate the way the Cutler era turned out, but anybody who question's Jay's toughness is insanely stupid.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:12 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
No way McMahon comes out of the NFC Championship game like Cutler did. No way.
I don't think a warrior would have played with torn/strained tendons in his knee. The worst part of that NFC fiasco was how the Bears handled it. Had they accurately reported that Cutler's knee was hurt and he was out for the game, it would have been almost a non story.
They weren't torn. It was a strain and other qbs have played with much worse knee injuries like Philip Rivers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:13 am 
100000 CLUB

Ok, Dr Brick. As I said, had the Bears ruled him Out for the rest of the game, it would not have been an issue. And had the Bears won (which might have happened if they didn't waste two series with fucking Todd Collins), Cutler plays in the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ok, Dr Brick. As I said, had the Bears ruled him Out for the rest of the game, it would not have been an issue. And had the Bears won (which might have happened if they didn't waste two series with fucking Todd Collins), Cutler plays in the Super Bowl.
Don't use the word torn when it wasn't. It was a strain. He required no surgery or anything. Also, other qbs have played with worse. Why do you get so defensive?

I don't know how bad it really was but your post had flaws.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know how bad it really was
This is all that needs to be said. Only the doctors knew how bad it was.

Why do you not point the finger at the Bears but solely at Cutler? There are MANY things to bash Jay about. That injury isn't one of them, and that is the end of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next