It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
They honestly need prescreen games more than ever with the newish practice limitations. Plus you have tremendous turnover in rosters each year. Don't kid yourself, if this were game 1 of the regular season, he would have been hurt on drive 2 of the first regular season game. Guys are going to get hurt- in the offseason, in practice, during preseason games, and during regular games.
I think the idea that preseason games are needed is wrong. College football gets away without having any preseason games and the NFL guys are more prepared and better. The only real thing that happens in college is a team or two comes out flat in week 1 and loses to an inferior opponent but that happens in week 1 of the NFL anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
They honestly need prescreen games more than ever with the newish practice limitations. Plus you have tremendous turnover in rosters each year. Don't kid yourself, if this were game 1 of the regular season, he would have been hurt on drive 2 of the first regular season game. Guys are going to get hurt- in the offseason, in practice, during preseason games, and during regular games.
I think the idea that preseason games are needed is wrong. College football gets away without having any preseason games and the NFL guys are more prepared and better. The only real thing that happens in college is a team or two comes out flat in week 1 and loses to an inferior opponent but that happens in week 1 of the NFL anyways.

I wouldn't feel great about NFL teams with limited practice schedules going into week 1. But if they adjusted practice schedules to allow for more prep time, it might work. Otherwise, the first few weeks of regular season would be quite a learning curve.

But whatever, I don't have a horse in this fight. Guys would just be hurt in game 3 of the regular season rather than game 3 of the preseason. You aren't saving that many knees, ankles, and concussions by eliminating preseason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
I love the "bad thoughts" attacks.

It confirms I am right and those who use them don't have an argument.

No one said Meredith is Michael Irvin. But no one disagrees he is/was the best Bears receiver. That should make you extra careful with him, should it not?

The purpose of pre-season is to get ready for the regular season. That can still be done by holding out your best assets. Because of the owners' money grab of charging regular season prices for pre-season game tickets, we all have to suffer through these games. But I don't think you are any better prepared playing against other teams than practicing against yourselves, ones versus ones, twos versus twos and so on. There are no pre-season games in college, and the college teams seem to do just fine without them.

They have a union in the NFL which restricts practice time, unlike college.

Again, you can have your thoughts, but like most evangelical Protestants, they aren't grounded in any objective reality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:52 am 

denisdman wrote:
I wouldn't feel great about NFL teams with limited practice schedules going into week 1. But if they adjusted practice schedules to allow for more prep time, it might work. Otherwise, the first few weeks of regular season would be quite a learning curve.
Why though? Colleges can handle it. It's obviously not that important if teams only treat the third preseason game as anything close to a real game. It's something that came about because most of the players were doing other jobs in the offseason. Now they are all full time.

Seacrest wrote:
I'll point out that colleges also have restricted practice time even without a union.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
I love the "bad thoughts" attacks.

It confirms I am right and those who use them don't have an argument.

No one said Meredith is Michael Irvin. But no one disagrees he is/was the best Bears receiver. That should make you extra careful with him, should it not?

The purpose of pre-season is to get ready for the regular season. That can still be done by holding out your best assets. Because of the owners' money grab of charging regular season prices for pre-season game tickets, we all have to suffer through these games. But I don't think you are any better prepared playing against other teams than practicing against yourselves, ones versus ones, twos versus twos and so on. There are no pre-season games in college, and the college teams seem to do just fine without them.

Again, you can have your thoughts, but like most evangelical Protestants, they aren't grounded in any objective reality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Why though? Colleges can handle it. It's obviously not that important if teams only treat the third preseason game as anything close to a real game. It's something that came about because most of the players were doing other jobs in the offseason. Now they are all full time.

NFL starters play the equivalent of about 2 full games in the preseason. So by removing the preseason, you reduce the injury risk of the NFL starters by 11% (2 /18). In return, you get guys that aren't game ready in the first game, which probably would increase injuries like pulled muscles and you negatively impact the quality of regular season play.

Again, it doesn't matter that much to me one way or the other. I rarely watch preseason games, but I tuned into game 3 of the Bears because of the "compelling" QB battle. I didn't watch game 1 or 2 nor will I watch game 4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 am 

denisdman wrote:
NFL starters play the equivalent of about 2 full games in the preseason. So by removing the preseason, you reduce the injury risk of the NFL starters by 11% (2 /18). In return, you get guys that aren't game ready in the first game, which probably would increase injuries like pulled muscles and you negatively impact the quality of regular season play.
They aren't just sitting around doing nothing. They scrimmage and simulate game action.

Week 1 would be different but nothing earth shattering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Seacrest wrote:
I'll point out that colleges also have restricted practice time even without a union.

Kids are on campus all year working out with each other.
Nothing like the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
They aren't just sitting around doing nothing. They scrimmage and simulate game action.

You know if football is that unsafe that practice needs to be severely limited and preseason games are too big of an injury risk, well then, maybe the sport should not be played. As I get older, I get increasingly disgusted at these injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You know if football is that unsafe that practice needs to be severely limited and preseason games are too big of an injury risk, well then, maybe the sport should not be played. As I get older, I get increasingly disgusted at these injuries.

Football as we know it is already starting to die. Local programs are losing kids and some have been disbanded already.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:32 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Kids are on campus all year working out with each other.
Nothing like the NFL.
NFL players workout year round too.

College teams: 29 fall practices
15 spring practices

It looks like NFL teams "practice" 5 times a week for 6 weeks with a game thrown in there for four weeks for about 30 practices before the first game + 4 preseason games.

They also seem to have more than 15 OTA/minicamp things but some of those seem to be "optional".

To put it another way, I can't come up with any way of saying that college players practice more than NFL players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am 

denisdman wrote:
The NFL preseason is 25% as long as the regular season. Hockey and basketball is 6/82. MLB looks to be around 30/162 if you combine split squad games as only one game. Even putting it somewhere between those puts us at 2 preseason games which seems fine and certainly better than what we have now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Seacrest wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Football as we know it is already starting to die. Local programs are losing kids and some have been disbanded already.

In Highland Park, yes. But that's a long way from having it die, especially in the South or in areas where pro sports are perceived to be the only or best way out of poverty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm 

Speaking of Meredith

Mickey got way too much of a pass in the Rocky movies. Total front runner that wanted nothing to do with him until he got the title shot.

Yea, yea, I know, he didnt like Rocky being Tony's muscle but that was his only option. He couldnt pay the rent by fighting Spider Rico. Grow up, Mick. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm 

We all are projecting development unto Meredith this year. However, his production from last year is replaceable.

This was going to be a heavy run and pass to TE offense anyway. Double TE sets galore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

In Highland Park, yes. But that's a long way from having it die, especially in the South or in areas where pro sports are perceived to be the only or best way out of poverty.

Wealthy white people watching the poor concuss each other into a stupor will not be accepted by the culture as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Wealthy white people watching the poor concuss each other into a stupor will not be accepted by the culture as a whole.
Sure it will.

It's not immoral to enjoy another adult choosing to engage in an activity that makes him famous and rich but has potential long term health consequences.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If they really have struck gold with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and the OL stays mostly healthy (aka Whitehair keeps anchoring that unit) they will find 1000 yard receivers organically. Meredith was a nice looking WR but nothing really special, its not like they lost Julio Jones out there.

Guys who can run routes well and have good hands are dime-a-dozen in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
We all are projecting development unto Meredith this year. However, his production from last year is replaceable.

This was going to be a heavy run and pass to TE offense anyway. Double TE sets galore.

He was clearly the 2nd best offensive player and the best receiver. The Bears don't have a replacement.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He was clearly the 2nd best offensive player and the best receiver. The Bears don't have a replacement.

I'd put Whitehair, Long, Howard, Sitton...all better than Meredith. That's not even a knock on Meredith, the Bears have kind of built up a decent stable of offensive players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Second best skill player is what Nas meant to say, I'm sure.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Bears O-Line 5th best in the league on the strength of Long/Whitehair/Sitton.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
America wrote:
If they really have struck gold with (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and the OL stays mostly healthy (aka Whitehair keeps anchoring that unit) they will find 1000 yard receivers organically. Meredith was a nice looking WR but nothing really special, its not like they lost Julio Jones out there.

That easy huh? This isn't Madden "Build a player" for Christ sake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
America wrote:

Victor Cruz has been that player when healthy.

I don't think it has to come from the receivers with this team. They have a diverse group of WR and TE. There are two and possibly three TE that can make plays in the middle of the field. Cohen should line up in the slot occasionally.

Yes I would want Cam Meredith on this team.

Wasn't he hurt last year without much problem?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

Victor Cruz is toast. Probably will be cut. If the Steelers cut Sammie Coates, I would mind barking up the Pittsburgh WR train one more time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
I would throw Marquess Wilson's name out there as a potential free agent acquisition, but he was just cut by a team that currently has the worst non-expansion WR core in NFL history.

1. Robby Anderson
2. Ardarius Stewart
2. Charone Peake

So that can't be good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:

It's reasonable to project development. His production is replaceable but not by anyone on the current roster. This injury is fairly significant.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
America wrote:

Add big bodied with a very large catch radius and it becomes downright rare.

Yeah, Meredith isn't Julio Jones. But he has potential to be a very good WR, either a very strong 2 or a serviceable 1. I wouldn't just dismiss this as no big deal.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Meredith was so good that each team passed on him 7 times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
America wrote:

Add big bodied with a very large catch radius and it becomes downright rare.

Yeah, Meredith isn't Julio Jones. But he has potential to be a very good WR, either a very strong 2 or a serviceable 1. I wouldn't just dismiss this as no big deal.

Bears still have Kevin White, who is a poor man's Cam Merideth at best. Again, why Pace sat idly by on Terrell Prior is a mystery to me. Young/tons of upside.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:14 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Meredith was so good that each team passed on him 7 times.

Each team passed on Tom Brady 6 times!

But seriously, that literally means nothing. Players fall through the cracks and exceed expectations all the time.