It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitch Blows
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Caller Bob wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I want Fox gone after this year..no doubt..but they aren't botching Mitch's development. Look at Cleveland, they have pretty much ruined Kizer. Right now they are keeping Mitch in a "narrow lane" as I see it. They want to avoid the epic "3 int game" and the negativity that comes with that. Also, Minnesota, Baltimore and Carolina are all pretty good pass defenses. I suspect it will open up vs the Saints.

That's not fair to Kizer or Mitch to use them in the same comparison. Kizer went in the second round and was passed over by every team at least once. Mitch was the 2 pick in the draft. Either they have a QB or they don't. I'd much rather set the by comparing to Peyton Manning.

His rookie year he never threw less than 23 times and threw over 40 6 times. He took 22 sacks, had 3 epic 3 INT games, had 11 multi INT games and turned the ball over 31 times on the season.

It's taken the bears 3 games to give Mitch the passing experience that Manning got every single game his rookie year.

I'm not comparing the players, just how the players have been handled. They gave Kizer free reign and it's been a disaster. He's already been benched once.

I phrased that poorly, i knew you weren't outright comparing them. My point is they should have different development strategies. A second round pick may need seasoning before throwing him to the wolves. A #2 pick, should be able to step in and get to work. Learning experience doesn't mean the same thing as failure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 am 

FavreFan wrote:
And no need to misrepresent the point simply because you can't rebut it. Nobody ever said Wright was good and nobody ever said (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky should make any WR decent. I'll make it clear once again for you though. "Supporting Cast" is not a sufficient reason to explain the drastic difference in production on a per game basis between Watson and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. If you want to keep blaming that I would advise you to prepare to be disappointed in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and also remind you of your hypocrisy regarding this particular argument.
RR said he should make any WR decent and you quoted him on it.

Your point isn't really clear. Are you already declaring the argument over between (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Watson? My point has been that it is way too early to declare (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky as good or bad because his WR's are bad, and his offensive line probably is too. You seem to have this strange obsession with acting like the Bears are actually really good and have a lot of talent when it's pretty clear that at least on offense they don't outside of the running backs. You are going as far as citing a guy making $2 million a year on a one year deal who can't even play more than 25-35 snaps a game as a reason why it's actually (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky that can't play.

So make your argument clear then. Is Watson far and away the better quarterback who will have the better career? If they are comparable or if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is better will you be wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Iirc, there were many around here who argued vehemently that Kizer was the best pro quarterback prospect in the draft.

Really? :lol:

That's embarrassing if true. I don't even follow college football but it was pretty clear he was the next Jimmy Clausen almost immediately into the process.

There might be more, but...DAYUM

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm ready to go all in on Kizer and Watson.

I'm unwilling to buy into (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky also.

good dolphin wrote:
as I said in the Bear thread, (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky passed the measurement tests that had arisen

Kizer is a big guy and I think he can be a star with the proper coaching.

good dolphin wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
If you are bad enough to be in the top 5, you don't have a QB or you just drafted one. You will continue to be bad and continue to get high picks as your QB develops. If the QB does not develop, you still have high picks that hopefully have developed...and you'll still suck, so you take another QB after 3 years.

I think we can agree that the Bears rookies & 2nd year guys have been the only encouraging and enjoyable part of watching this year.

I want DeShone Kizer. He runs an actual pro offense.

I agree with you that if it is going to be a QB it should be Kizer. He was great before he got coached up by Kelly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 am 

Kizer can be really good too. The Browns probably will ruin him though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: John's
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Bagels wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
There's hope for (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky, it's just that virtually any criteria you use to measure him by shows him performing poorly so far.

2-1

This.

I think the above two posts were mocking you but if not, let me help you out. Craig Krenzel started his career 3-0. Rodgers started his like 6-10. Don't be too dumb to the point you can't understand basic football things.

You asked for a single item that Trubiski has done well..it was provided. It's not the be-all to end all..but it is positive that as a rookie he's not turning the ball over and understands the strengths of his team. You had rough week, last week on the Kendall Wright thing..so I would just mail the rest of this in..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am 

It was universally agreed that Kizer was the least ready to start in Week 1 but typical of the Browns, he started in Week 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am 

It also should be pointed out that there isn't really a strong correlation between rookie year success and long term success at the quarterback position. Many great quarterbacks barely played their rookie years and many quarterbacks that ended up bad looked really good their rookie year. But hey, they probably didn't have a Kendall Wright-type player who they should be making into a legitimate NFL WR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Your point isn't really clear. Are you already declaring the argument over between (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Watson? My point has been that it is way too early to declare (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky as good or bad because his WR's are bad, and his offensive line probably is too. You seem to have this strange obsession with acting like the Bears are actually really good and have a lot of talent when it's pretty clear that at least on offense they don't outside of the running backs.

Sounds like a Jay Cutler defense. We can know for sure if he's good when he has All-Pro talent at every position!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 am 

I know it's kind of a broken record on my part, but when guys like Steve Sarkisian, Mike Shula, Pep Hamilton and Dowell Loggans are offensive coordinators drawing paychecks, the prospects for player development are slimming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hussra wrote:
3 times in recent years an NFL team has won games attempting 7 or fewer passes. John Fox coached all 3 winning teams. Or does this make 4 times? 2x with the Bears. Once with the Broncos and once with Carolina.

Since 1979, there have been only 7 teams to complete 4 or fewer passes in a game. Those teams are 6-1. Fox has found the key to success!

Also, according to Brad Biggs, the pass to Cohen was underthrown.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
What has been so bad about (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's performance so far? I've actually been kinda impressed.

Dont even bring up stats. If you can hand wave 2-1 away then I can just as easily hand wave stats that include a game with seven fucking attempts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Also, according to Brad Biggs, the pass to Cohen was underthrown.

It was. He had to come back for it and stop. Hits him in stride, it's a TD. But, it's hard to hone your passing when you throw 7 times in a game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am 

They only thing that has been bad so far is the sacks. In the last 2 games he has made 23 attempts and been sacked 8 times. Divide blame as you will, needs to be better.

He does not have an interception in those games however, either throw it away and be better about stepping into the pocket.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Your point isn't really clear. Are you already declaring the argument over between (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Watson? My point has been that it is way too early to declare (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky as good or bad because his WR's are bad, and his offensive line probably is too. You seem to have this strange obsession with acting like the Bears are actually really good and have a lot of talent when it's pretty clear that at least on offense they don't outside of the running backs.

Sounds like a Jay Cutler defense. We can know for sure if he's good when he has All-Pro talent at every position!
The difference is that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a rookie missing two wide receivers, on a team that had pretty bad WR depth to begin with. We are arguing whether a guy who signed a 1 year, 2 million doillar deal and who is on a snap count of 25-35 a game as a WR is someone that Mitch should be making into a competent WR or not.

The problem with Cutler was that people were playing the "no talent" card 3 or 4 years into his time in Chicago and like 7 years into his career.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am 

The other funny thing is that after the Packers game FF was arguing that the Bears had some of the best talent in the league at RB and Pace should keep his job because he isn't that far away on creating a good offensive team(you know, except needing a WR or two but that's forgotten now I guess), but Mitch barely throwing in a win shows that Mitch isn't that good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The difference is that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a rookie missing two wide receivers, on a team that had pretty bad WR depth to begin with. We are arguing whether a guy who signed a 1 year, 2 million doillar deal and who is on a snap count of 25-35 a game as a WR is someone that Mitch should be making into a competent WR or not.

The problem with Cutler was that people were playing the "no talent" card 3 or 4 years into his time in Chicago and like 7 years into his career.

I dunno Seems like Bears fans are extra sensitive about any criticism of Trubinsky. That USC kid the Bears grabbed off the street last year threw pretty well with essentially the same cast.

Trubinsky looks to way over his head right now. It's OK to say that. Doesn't mean his career will be poor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
I dunno Seems like Bears fans are extra sensitive about any criticism of Trubinsky. That USC kid the Bears grabbed off the street last year threw pretty well with essentially the same cast.
I think you are missing the thread here. Three people have either outright said he is bad or strongly hinted at it. Most other people are like "He's made a few good throws and shown some good talent but we don't know". Even my first post here was that 312player may be right but we just don't know.

Kirkwood wrote:
Trubinsky looks to way over his head right now. It's OK to say that. Doesn't mean his career will be poor.
He's a rookie though. It's ok to be over your head. If people were just saying that he may not be ready and he is just learning on that job that would be different. Instead, we are questioning why he isn't getting more out of Kendall Wright, who isn't even good enough to play more than 25-35 snaps a game on purpose!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 am 

For Christ sake, CJ Beathard has 74 passing attempts in 2 games. Fuck John Fox.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
America wrote:
I'm convinced Bears fans just want to be miserable now. Here are the Bears beating two at least decent teams in back-to-back weeks (once on the road even) with the defense looking all-world in the process and they're mad. Mad at Pace, mad at the rookie QB, mad the coaches...we are the ledge of our first competitive, meaningful football by the Bears in four years and people are angry and upset.

This.

I'm not a fan of John Fox, nor am I a Bears apologist (in fact, I hate ownership), but it's clear Fox can't win in this situation. Some of you seen to live in an idealistic world where a coach can just throw a game to get his rookie QB more pass attempts. They were dominating that gsme yesterday. He can't just open it up and let his rookie QB start slinging it all over. Why would he?

And there's not enough to tell if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is bad. I still don't understand what is expected when a guy has 9 pass attempts and is never throwing on first down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:
I'm convinced Bears fans just want to be miserable now. Here are the Bears beating two at least decent teams in back-to-back weeks (once on the road even) with the defense looking all-world in the process and they're mad. Mad at Pace, mad at the rookie QB, mad the coaches...we are the ledge of our first competitive, meaningful football by the Bears in four years and people are angry and upset.

This.

I'm not a fan of John Fox, nor am I a Bears apologist (in fact, I hate ownership), but it's clear Fox can't win in this situation. Some of you seen to live in an idealistic world where a coach can just throw a game to get his rookie QB more pass attempts. They were dominating that gsme yesterday. He can't just open it up and let his rookie QB start slinging it all over. Why would he?

And there's not enough to tell if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is bad. I still don't understand what is expected when a guy has 9 pass attempts and is never throwing on first down.

You kinda defend Fox but then end with the problem most people have.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:

This.

You kinda defend Fox but then end with the problem most people have.

They aren't mutually exclusive. I can simultaneously believe that you can't judge (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's performance on nine pass attempts while also believing that limiting him was not the wrong decision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am 

you can say they are handling (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky kinda poorly, or at least have a cro magnon gameplan, and still admire the job done with the offensive line, running game and defense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I tried to avoid the Bears this year, but my wife has had the last few games on.

I cannot see how you can make any evaluation on (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. The offense is dreadful. The coaching staff is even worse and in job-survivl mode.

I'll reserve judgment to a future season when he actually plays with an NFL offense.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
It's really hard to win in the NFL.

The Bears won the game yesterday which is really what matters here. Mitch will get more comfortable as time goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
312player wrote:
NME wrote:
lol at the people convinced this quickly he's no good. He's only 3 games in on a team with no wide out talent and a regressing O-line. Give this more time.

The line is pretty good, he holds the ball too long and it's hard to block for a qb that runs around behind you. He looks lost when he's standing in the pocket..thats pretty much the most important thing a qb does.

Our interior line has talent, our tackles (kind of important for drop backs and passing in general) are turnstiles. They are passable while run blocking but they've been awful overall pass blocking this year. Some hits are on Mitch for sure, but more often he's dealing with defenders one step away from him before he can get set -and he fucking sprints into his back drops so it's not like he's taking too long. And let's not forget about coverage sacks too -which shouldn't be so hard to believe with the guys we're trotting out there every week.

Nah, this line is bad at pass blocking right now. You are either being willfully blind to that or just don't know what you're looking at to begin with if you say otherwise.

As for thinking Mitch is bad already, it's too early, and he just doesn't have enough in the receiving department to go along with bad pass blocking to really get a good gauge on him. And even if he had those things he'd still just be a rookie out there doing rookie things at times. If the Bears had all their projected starters out there we'd be having at least a slightly different conversation right now if the results were the same as what we have now, but that's not the case.

Again, give this kid some time. It's just way too soon to pass judgement either way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:33 pm 

Massie is mediocre but Leno has been good this year. This is more Bears fan bullshit where a guy gives up a sack or two and they immediately declare that he sucks forever and can never be redeemed.

The Bears have beaten the Steelers, Ravens and Panthers are only two back in the division. This time next week they could easily be .500. They are doing something right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
America wrote:
Massie is mediocre but Leno has been good this year. This is more Bears fan bullshit where a guy gives up a sack or two and they immediately declare that he sucks forever and can never be redeemed.

The Bears have beaten the Steelers, Ravens and Panthers are only two back in the division. This time next week they could easily be .500. They are doing something right.

Leno is mediocre too, and no, he isn't playing well this year. The Bears success this year rests mostly on the defense. The offense only has the running game to hang its hat on and I already pointed out that the line is decent at that.

Again, the offense is suffering from a combination of issues this year -bad coaching, injuries, lack of talent, bad pass blocking, and starting a rookie QB (which I'm fine with personally). This isn't rocket science, and it isn't being a shitty fan to admit the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The line is good, they didn't have a great game yesterday but they've played well this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The other funny thing is that after the Packers game FF was arguing that the Bears had some of the best talent in the league at RB and Pace should keep his job because he isn't that far away on creating a good offensive team(you know, except needing a WR or two but that's forgotten now I guess), but Mitch barely throwing in a win shows that Mitch isn't that good.

That's not really that funny. Everything I said is correct. Even strong running teams throw the ball more than 7 times in a game. This is especially true in a game where you want to develop your top rookie QB and have a two TD margin of error to work with.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:

This.

If your argument was strong you wouldn't need to rely on exaggerating the counter argument. Nobody said the Bears should have opened it up yesterday and let him sling it all over. Nobody implied anything close to that. It's fair to criticize 7 pass attempts when the main goal of this season is to see what the kid is good at and what he needs to improve on. 15-20 pass attempts in a game like that is more than reasonable to ask for.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 57  Next