It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitch Blows
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:
I'm convinced Bears fans just want to be miserable now. Here are the Bears beating two at least decent teams in back-to-back weeks (once on the road even) with the defense looking all-world in the process and they're mad. Mad at Pace, mad at the rookie QB, mad the coaches...we are the ledge of our first competitive, meaningful football by the Bears in four years and people are angry and upset.

This.

I'm not a fan of John Fox, nor am I a Bears apologist (in fact, I hate ownership), but it's clear Fox can't win in this situation. Some of you seen to live in an idealistic world where a coach can just throw a game to get his rookie QB more pass attempts. They were dominating that gsme yesterday. He can't just open it up and let his rookie QB start slinging it all over. Why would he?

And there's not enough to tell if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is bad. I still don't understand what is expected when a guy has 9 pass attempts and is never throwing on first down.

If your argument was strong you wouldn't need to rely on exaggerating the counter argument. Nobody said the Bears should have opened it up yesterday and let him sling it all over. Nobody implied anything close to that. It's fair to criticize 7 pass attempts when the main goal of this season is to see what the kid is good at and what he needs to improve on. 15-20 pass attempts in a game like that is more than reasonable to ask for.

That's much easier for you to say than it is for a coach who is actually charged with winning football games to do. After getting two TDs out of the defense, the only way Carolina was coming back would have been Bears turnovers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The other funny thing is that after the Packers game FF was arguing that the Bears had some of the best talent in the league at RB and Pace should keep his job because he isn't that far away on creating a good offensive team(you know, except needing a WR or two but that's forgotten now I guess), but Mitch barely throwing in a win shows that Mitch isn't that good.

That's not really that funny. Everything I said is correct. Even strong running teams throw the ball more than 7 times in a game. This is especially true in a game where you want to develop your top rookie QB and have a two TD margin of error to work with.

The bolded part is nonsense. You seem to be blatantly suggesting that the object isn't to win the game and that coaches should play with fire.

If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky ends up throwing a pick 6, Carolina is right back in it, and Fox would have been killed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:
I'm convinced Bears fans just want to be miserable now. Here are the Bears beating two at least decent teams in back-to-back weeks (once on the road even) with the defense looking all-world in the process and they're mad. Mad at Pace, mad at the rookie QB, mad the coaches...we are the ledge of our first competitive, meaningful football by the Bears in four years and people are angry and upset.

This.

I'm not a fan of John Fox, nor am I a Bears apologist (in fact, I hate ownership), but it's clear Fox can't win in this situation. Some of you seen to live in an idealistic world where a coach can just throw a game to get his rookie QB more pass attempts. They were dominating that gsme yesterday. He can't just open it up and let his rookie QB start slinging it all over. Why would he?

And there's not enough to tell if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is bad. I still don't understand what is expected when a guy has 9 pass attempts and is never throwing on first down.

If your argument was strong you wouldn't need to rely on exaggerating the counter argument. Nobody said the Bears should have opened it up yesterday and let him sling it all over. Nobody implied anything close to that. It's fair to criticize 7 pass attempts when the main goal of this season is to see what the kid is good at and what he needs to improve on. 15-20 pass attempts in a game like that is more than reasonable to ask for.

That's much easier for you to say than it is for a coach who is actually charged with winning football games to do. After getting two TDs out of the defense, the only way Carolina was coming back would have been Bears turnovers.

This isn't some armchair coaching. 7 pass attempts is a fucking joke. There's a reason that type of game has very few doppelgängers over the past 20 years. That means other coaches who are charged with winning games almost never do it either regardless of game script. 15-20 pass attempts is an extremely conservative number and much more appropriate for developing a QB than 7.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:21 pm 

Did the Bears win?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:23 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Did the Bears win?

You're now a results guy?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Did the Bears win?

No, I don't believe in any results ever. I think the Bulls 6 championships really took a backseat to how disciplined their process was.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Did the Bears win?

No, I don't believe in any results ever. I think the Bulls 6 championships really took a backseat to how disciplined their process was.

Now you're comparing winning a regular season NFL game to improve to 3-4 to winning 6 NBA titles.

Youre trying to argue that passing more than 7 times and winning that football game is an either/or choice. That's obviously just wrong. There's a reason you had no actual response when I mentioned that game has almost no equivalent in the last few decades.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Did the Bears win?

Now you're comparing winning a regular season NFL game to improve to 3-4 to winning 6 NBA titles.

Youre trying to argue that passing more than 7 times and winning that football game is an either/or choice. That's obviously just wrong. There's a reason you had no actual response when I mentioned that game has almost no equivalent in the last few decades.

I had no response because it's an awful argument. Every game is its own thing. It's actually a completely irrelevant point.

It's also probably a bad precedent for you to start assuming that when people ignore your posts, they are conceding defeat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 pm 

So you still have no response.

Alright, cool. The top rookie QB doesn't need more than 7 pass attempts to develop or for the coaching staff to accurately evaluate his strengths and weaknesses. You're right.

Before thinking it's some dumb awful argument I'm shooting from the hip on, you might want to read around about what others are saying on this.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
FavreFan wrote:
This isn't some armchair coaching. 7 pass attempts is a fucking joke. There's a reason that type of game has very few doppelgängers over the past 20 years. That means other coaches who are charged with winning games almost never do it either regardless of game script. 15-20 pass attempts is an extremely conservative number and much more appropriate for developing a QB than 7.

It's the 3rd time a Fox coached team has done it and won. So, for what it's worth, there's at least a pattern here with this specific coach in doing it. The line was also real bad yesterday too, which may have played into the decision. I think the Bears coaching staff realizes they aren't a team that can dictate the route of a game so they play within the confines that present themselves and hope for the best.

I'm honestly not 100% sure what you guys are arguing specifically tho as I haven't read every post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm 

I didn't say you were the only one to hold the opinion, but I disagree with it.

You can't tell a head coach not to win at all costs when they are still in contention for the playoffs. And telling him to have (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky throw some arbitrary number of times is telling the coach not to win at all costs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

You can't tell a head coach not to win at all costs when they are still in contention for the playoffs. And telling him to have (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky throw some arbitrary number of times is telling the coach not to win at all costs.

There's no set arbitrary number I would tell him Mitch needs to attempt. But I think Pace should definitely make it clear to Fox that evaluating what they have in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a 1a priority next to winning. 7 pass attempts is inexcusable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

There's no set arbitrary number I would tell him Mitch needs to attempt. But I think Pace should definitely make it clear to Fox that evaluating what they have in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is a 1a priority next to winning. 7 pass attempts is inexcusable.

Bad deal for Fox. Like LYK said Fox is supposed to win games. If young players develop at the same time then even better. But if he agrees to open up the playbook more to accelerate (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's development then he risks losing more games. He will find himself fired for losing games at the end of the year even if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky throws 30 times each week. So he's telling his boss to go screw himself by trying to squeeze as many wins as he can out of his season. Self preservation that actually works for the Bears (maybe not (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky) because it has so far resulted in wins. Hey, I wanna see the rookie throw it each time, but the guy supervising (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky isn't playing Madden franchise mode.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:07 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Bad deal for Fox. Like LYK said Fox is supposed to win games. If young players develop at the same time then even better. But if he agrees to open up the playbook more to accelerate (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's development then he risks losing more games. He will find himself fired for losing games at the end of the year even if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky throws 30 times each week. So he's telling his boss to go screw himself by trying to squeeze as many wins as he can out of his season. Self preservation that actually works for the Bears (maybe not (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky) because it has so far resulted in wins. Hey, I wanna see the rookie throw it each time, but the guy supervising (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky isn't playing Madden franchise mode.

It's bizarre you think asking to for more than 7 pass attempts(again, a number duplicated in less than .1% of pro games the last 20 years) is equivalent to asking for Madden video game numbers. My argument is extremely reasonable even if you disagree with it.

But as a Packer fan I'm glad Fox is doing what he's doing and I hope he keeps doing it. It's just going to make Pace's job that much harder this offseason.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's bizarre you think asking to for more than 7 pass attempts(again, a number duplicated in less than .1% of pro games the last 20 years) is equivalent to asking for Madden video game numbers. My argument is extremely reasonable even if you disagree with it.

But as a Packer fan I'm glad Fox is doing what he's doing and I hope he keeps doing it. It's just going to make Pace's job that much harder this offseason.

Not video game numbers. By franchise mode I meant putting the development of a young QB ahead of wins. He's not in it to tank for the larger goal of developing (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. Can't blame him for that even though I'd like to see (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky throw more.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 pm 

But I already covered this with leash - it's wrong to suggest attempting more than 7 passes was mutually exclusive with winning that game. It's also wrong to suggest a few more pass attempts would have negatively altered their chance of winning significantly.

I feel I need to repeat this - I've never said or even implied they should "open it up". I think having a heavy run to pass ratio is fine for this team and agree it's the best way to win. But 7 attempts is comically low, and you had your defense dominating and a two TD lead at home. The game script was perfect to get a few more attempts in there without a lot of risk.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
If you cant trust your number 2 pick to throw 15 times a game..he sucks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm 

312player wrote:

It's unreasonable to ask him to throw more than 7 times if he doesn't absolutely need to win the game, apparently.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm 

312player wrote:

There are first round rookies who don't play as rookies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:

It's unreasonable to ask him to throw more than 7 times if he doesn't absolutely need to win the game, apparently.

I think he was sacked four or five times so they trusted him a little more than seven times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
But I already covered this with leash - it's wrong to suggest attempting more than 7 passes was mutually exclusive with winning that game. It's also wrong to suggest a few more pass attempts would have negatively altered their chance of winning significantly.

I feel I need to repeat this - I've never said or even implied they should "open it up". I think having a heavy run to pass ratio is fine for this team and agree it's the best way to win. But 7 attempts is comically low, and you had your defense dominating and a two TD lead at home. The game script was perfect to get a few more attempts in there without a lot of risk.

Numbers in the end depend on game flow and other circumstances. I think your position here is similar to people who say 11 rushes to 35 pass attempts is too low, and we should have run more. It's a facile argument because it ignores context. And the historic nature of the pass attempts is irrelevant - wouod 9 or 11 attempts be better? Who cares? In the grand scheme of things I don't think only passing the ball 7 times in one game is going to stunt his development. Let's talk when/if seven becomes a trend.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 pm 

This thread is better than anything on tv right now lol. A lot of overreacting going on in here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Numbers in the end depend on game flow and other circumstances. I think your position here is similar to people who say 11 rushes to 35 pass attempts is too low, and we should have run more. It's a facile argument because it ignores context. And the historic nature of the pass attempts is irrelevant - wouod 9 or 11 attempts be better? Who cares? In the grand scheme of things I don't think only passing the ball 7 times in one game is going to stunt his development. Let's talk when/if seven becomes a trend.

This reply doesn't make sense. I'm saying the game script specifically allowed for more pass attempts without jeapordizing the chances of winning.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I'm saying the game script specifically allowed for more pass attempts without jeapordizing the chances of winning.

lolwut?

How could you possibly know this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
NME wrote:
This thread is better than anything on tv right now lol. A lot of overreacting going on in here.

In terms of stupidity, I didn't think he would double down on the Kendall Wright/Will Fuller stuff from last week..but alas...here we are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm 

NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm saying the game script specifically allowed for more pass attempts without jeapordizing the chances of winning.

lolwut?

He couldn't. That's what I've been trying to tell him. You try now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
The Bears ran 37 plays.

26 runs

11 drop backs (4 sacks and as FF mentioned maybe once I think, 7 actual pass attempts)

15-20 pass attempts would have been half of their offense plays.

This is the wrong game to hitch your wagon to the development argument.

Now if you want to talk about the trend in his starts, you might have something there, but the opponents have to factor in as well.

He's still in the game, managing the offense, reading defenses, figuring out when to throw it away, etc. He has what, maybe 20 starts in all of his football career? I have no problem with baby steps.

Also, maybe they've had to dumb down the offense to accommodate the high school WRs they have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

lolwut?

Um... do you guys know what a game script is? It doesn't take a lot to know what it is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I thought he looked his best in the 1st 1/2 against Minnesota.

One of the biggest talking points of the pre-season was the idea that, more than anything else, (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky needed to get real game snaps in. The whole 13 college starts thing. He needed to get in a pro huddle, call plays, look over the defense, hear the crowd noise, make a sight adjustment or 2, change his cadence now and then (I have noticed defenses timing the snap on him), and run plays. All of that is far more important, specifically for Mitch, than throwing 10 more passes a game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

lolwut?

Um... do you guys know what a game script is? It doesn't take a lot to know what it is.

Yes, we know what a script is. Are you really not getting what we're saying?

I can't tell if you're being goofy now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next