It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Stop employing GMs who have this mindset.

They passed up on so much legit talent every time they picked.

It’s embarrassing.

If you’re the Patriots, Seahawks, or Chiefs I can understand having an outside of the box drafting mindset.

The Bears need to stop pretending they are a perennially contending 1st class organization.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
Jbi11s wrote:
Stop employing GMs who have this mindset.

They passed up on so much legit talent every time they picked.

It’s embarrassing.

If you’re the Patriots, Seahawks, or Chiefs I can understand having an outside of the box drafting mindset.

The Bears need to stop pretending they are a perennially contending 1st class organization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW68goC4_es

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Pace is not a bad drafter or scout, but he is simply not a good GM and not good at building a roster or devising a strategy. The Bears drafts were fine, he just ran out of picks because he traded them all away recklessly (and I am not talking about the Mack deal). That meant when the cap space started to get tight they had to just kind of delude themselves into thinking the OL was fine, because they simply didn't have the resources to address it.

In individual bites its very easy to say "Oh, its just a fourth round pick. Look, we got Nick Foles for it!"...but it adds up. The (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky trade-up, the Montgomery trade-up, the Anthony Miller trade-up. Eventually the house of cards collapses and you're left with a roster full of holes and no guys to fill them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:41 pm 

The last time the Bears had at least one pick in each of the first three rounds of the draft was 2016. They have gone four drafts now without a full bucket of top one-hundred picks. That's a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:44 pm 

He is bad at the draft.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:45 pm 

The free agency the last two years has been just...really hard to describe how poorly that has gone. The best they've gotten is probably Cordarelle Patterson.

They have made re-signing guys like Bobbie Massie and Dan Trevathan priorities because they either have misjudged their capabilities or because there is nothing coming down the pipeline to replace them (and not enough draft picks left to fill all the needs).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Antarctica wrote:
The last time the Bears had at least one pick in each of the first three rounds of the draft was 2016. They have gone four drafts now without a full bucket of top one-hundred picks. That's a recipe for disaster.

A big reason for that is the Khalil Mack trade, which you loved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:47 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
He is bad at the draft.

He is definitely bad at the draft but generally his success with what few picks he does have is about on par with the league. He trades up too much though. That has become a weird pathological thing with him. Apparently it came because Amari Cooper didn't fall to them in 2015, but that was hardly a shock to anyone. Pretty much had everyone had the Raiders taking him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:47 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

And he loved the Miller pick as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Antarctica wrote:
Pace is not a bad drafter or scout,

He has been terrible in the first round, where you're supposed to find the foundation for your team.

He's been uneven in later rounds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

I think he also loved the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pick at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

They gave up a 2019 second in the Anthony Miller trade and a 2018 third in the Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky trade. The issue here is not really that they aren't picking in the first round, its that they aren't getting a full draft class any year because they have had this obsession with trading up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 pm 

I thought the Mitch pick was bold. I was wrong, that was just ridiculous. They shouldn't have done it. My optimism got the best of me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Antarctica wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

They gave up a 2019 second in the Anthony Miller trade and a 2018 third in the Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky trade. The issue here is not really that they aren't picking in the first round, its that they aren't getting a full draft class any year because they have had this obsession with trading up.

Umm, yeah, trading away your first round picks kind of precludes having a full draft class. It also obviously decreases your chances of drafting a star player at a manageable price.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
RFDC wrote:

I did too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Antarctica wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
He is bad at the draft.

He is definitely bad at the draft but generally his success with what few picks he does have is about on par with the league.

Hub tries to fall back on this incredibly dumb talking point too.

And it’s not saying much when most of the rest of the league rotates GM’s and coaches every few years because they aren’t good at their jobs. Pace is not on par with the better GM’s in the league at all, especially in the draft. ‘Nobody bats a thousand in the draft’. Yeah that’s great Hub, but you can’t bat under .200 every year either and hope to have success.

Pace has had 1 team in 5 years go to the playoffs and a lot of his draft picks are not on the team anymore, he cut 1 he had just drafted last year before the fucking season began.

Pace is not good at his job. In any sense.

Last edited by NME on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:59 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Umm, yeah, trading away your first round picks kind of precludes having a full draft class. It also obviously decreases your chances of drafting a star player at a manageable price.

You can still draft seven or eight players without a first round pick. Bears had offers for 2.43 and 2.50 this year, even just one of those trades would've meant one more player. Why did they need to give up a 2020 fourth to get Montgomery (who kinda wound up being bad) last year?

Besides, what point are you trying to make? That these trade-ups are good?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He has no strategy. He said draft a quarterback every year. He didn’t. He drafts like a scout. Likes his guys and has no plan if he doesn’t hit home runs in the 4 round.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:01 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
He has no strategy. He said draft a quarterback every year. He didn’t. He drafts like a scout. Likes his guys and has no plan if he doesn’t hit home runs in the 4 round.

He has no luxury picks to draft quarterbacks with. So they've talked themselves into loving Tyler Bray.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:03 pm 

Yea I don't get Hub. Pace completely whiffed on the Bears biggest 1st round pick in years, who he also traded up for.

And another of his talking points is "He had a terrible roster when he got here." Ok. Wonderful. Like you said his team has made the playoffs once in 5 years and they still don't have a long term answer at QB. It looks like the playoff year was an anamoly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Peoria Matt wrote:
Yea I don't get Hub. Pace completely whiffed on the Bears biggest 1st round pick in years, who he also traded up for.

And another of his talking points is "He had a terrible roster when he got here." Ok. Wonderful. Like you said his team has made the playoffs once in 5 years and they still don't have a long term answer at QB. It looks like the playoff year was an anamoly.

Hub is either a complete shill or a complete idiot. I can’t stand listening to him anymore. I actually liked him years back but he makes fucking excuse after excuse for complete horsehit performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:07 pm 

Pace did a good job rebuilding the roster from what was basically scratch. Overall his work 2015-18 right up to the Khalil Mack trade was pretty good (with one big blemish in retrospect).

But ever since its been a trainwreck, and he's doubled down on some of his earlier mistakes in big ways. I think he saw that 2018 team, which really was an outstanding football team, and got a little too enamored with his creation.

I dont care at all what Hub Arkush has to say though, didn't before and certainly dont now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Pace and Nagy are all in next year. If they don’t win a playoff game both should be gone.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11 pm 

He put himself in a position after the Mack trade where he needed to make safe picks, and hope he drafted solid pros.

Instead he kept trying to prove how smart he is while continuing to burn draft capital.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:13 pm 

Pace and Nagy are all in next year. If they don’t win a playoff game both should be gone.

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Antarctica wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

You can still draft seven or eight players without a first round pick. Bears had offers for 2.43 and 2.50 this year, even just one of those trades would've meant one more player. Why did they need to give up a 2020 fourth to get Montgomery (who kinda wound up being bad) last year?

:?:

You have historically liked the tradeups and only now seem to be concerned about their cost because the trades didn't work out like you thought they would.

Keep in mind that this shift in your views has occurred only a few days after you urged the Bears to trade up in the 2020 draft so they could select Justin Herbert.

I appreciate prolific posters like you who keep conversations moving forward.

But sometimes your sudden changes in direction make you sound like a hysteric with a damaged short-term memory.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
NME wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Hub is either a complete shill or a complete idiot. I can’t stand listening to him anymore. I actually liked him years back but he makes fucking excuse after excuse for complete horsehit performance.

Late this afternoon Hub said Daniels would be a multi Pro Bowler if he played center and that Massey was very underrated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

Well Green Bay drafted for 2022 for some reason so the division is there.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:35 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Antarctica wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

:?:

You have historically liked the tradeups and only now seem to be concerned about their cost because the trades didn't work out like you thought they would.

Keep in mind that this shift in your views has occurred only a few days after you urged the Bears to trade up in the 2020 draft so they could select Justin Herbert.

I appreciate prolific posters like you who keep conversations moving forward.

But sometimes your sudden changes in direction make you sound like a hysteric with a damaged short-term memory.

So this is really you wanting to make some personal comment on me. If you want to do that you can, but maybe a PM (I wont read it so dont bother) or another thread? There are other places. Dont cloud it in some sort of draft commentary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Well Green Bay drafted for 2022 for some reason so the division is there.

Vikings are the big winners. Bears are circling the drain and the Packers committed a soft form of franchise suicide.