It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Right now, this isn’t debatable because Watson looks like a generational talent. If he keeps his current pace, there’s likely no way (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky can compete with it. That’s not a knock of (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.

FF and others would say that's a knock on Pace though.

If Watson is a generational talent, how could it not be a knock on Pace?

Last edited by Peoria Matt on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Right now, this isn’t debatable because Watson looks like a generational talent. If he keeps his current pace, there’s likely no way (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky can compete with it. That’s not a knock of (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.

I don’t read threads anymore. I just comment and let the chips fall where they may.

Beardown = LYK match?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Peoria Matt wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's a question of epistemology I think. If Watson turns out to be a legend, then can we say Pace knowingly/intentionally passed over a legend? Had this debate with FF and a few others regarding drafting in general, and the consensus seems to be that they'd say Pace did in fact knowingly pass over a legend in order to draft (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I think you can give him a pass if you simply chose the wrong of two similarly rated quarterbacks. The big problem is that he was so desperate not to get Watson that he spent a ton of picks to trade up one spot. It's pretty clear that Pace thought Watson wasn't very good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:40 am 

Watson has 21 TD's with 9 games remaining. If Watson doesn't get injured, he will wind up with what......40 TDs minimum? (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will never match that. I'm hoping Mitch can someday get to 21 TDs in a season.

It's probably going to end up being a case of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome. Obvious pick was sitting there and Pace went with the other guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Peoria Matt wrote:
Watson has 21 TD's with 9 games remaining. If Watson doesn't get injured, he will wind up with what......40 TDs minimum? (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will never match that. I'm hoping Mitch can someday get to 21 TDs in a season.

It's probably going to end up being a case of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome. Obvious pick was sitting there and Pace went with the other guy.

In no scenario did folks expect (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky to come in and light up the NFL. He hardly played in college. Watson looks great. But let's wait until such a time where (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky has adjusted to the NFL and has some real targets. This isn't some mutually exclusive outcome- both guys could be great or terrible.

When I watched Goff last year, I thought he was the worst QB pick ever. He has already showed a ton of improvement. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's development cycle should be longer than your typical first round draft pick given his lack of college starts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I think most everyone agrees that, despite your preferred QB, there was no reason to move from 3 to 2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Where the Bears are concerned it's "Watson Plus" because if they drafted Watson with the 3rd pick (If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky WAS picked before him),they would have had a fantastic rookie QB and those draft picks they pissed away.

I think Mitch looks ok but Watson has been fantastic.....so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 am 

IMU wrote:
I think most everyone agrees that, despite your preferred QB, there was no reason to move from 3 to 2.

Yes, it was absurd. BUT, if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky ends up being great, then everyone will recall Pace for being bold to be sure he got his guy. Now if both Watson and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky are great, then one could argue he could have just taken whoever dropped to 3. It's doubtful they'll both be great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 am 

denisdman wrote:
In no scenario did folks expect (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky to come in and light up the NFL. He hardly played in college. Watson looks great. But let's wait until such a time where (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky has adjusted to the NFL and has some real targets. This isn't some mutually exclusive outcome- both guys could be great or terrible.

When I watched Goff last year, I thought he was the worst QB pick ever. He has already showed a ton of improvement. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's development cycle should be longer than your typical first round draft pick given his lack of college starts.

So do you have faith in Pace to find the next Sean McVay? Forget that....how about a capable OC? Because there is no way Mitch is going to develop into anything close to Watson with this current staff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
denisdman wrote:

So do you have faith in Pace to find the next Sean McVay? Forget that....how about a capable OC? Because there is no way Mitch is going to develop into anything close to Watson with this current staff.

I've posted a lot of Pace thoughts around here. The jury is definitely still out on his ability to spot talent.

As for coaches, I think it is the same level of uncertainty. The biggest problem that I see is that the Bears as an organization do not make sound decisions. I suspect they will hire another consultant because they lack the internal processes and sounding boards to make an informed decision. So I worry less about Pace and more about the organizational ineptitude.

I'd be more inclined to give the job to Fangio or go throw gobs of money at Bill Cowher. Let Cowher groom a young successor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:11 am 

denisdman wrote:
As for coaches, I think it is the same level of uncertainty. The biggest problem that I see is that the Bears as an organization do not make sound decisions. I suspect they will hire another consultant because they lack the internal processes and sounding boards to make an informed decision. So I worry less about Pace and more about the organizational ineptitude.

Agreed but there is no way ( I hope ) that Pace isn't allowed to pick the next coach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Pace picked Gase, that's who our hc should be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:19 am 

312player wrote:

Obviously we all see why Fox wore out his welcome in Denver. But at the point he was hired, Fox had done two quick turnarounds in Carolina and Denver. So I understand why he was brought here.

The task for Fox and Pace was difficult. There was nothing here. I am slightly encouraged by the rapid and strong turnaround of the defense. They are literally a top five looking group with tons of playmakers. The O line and RB situation is decent as well. There's lots of work to be done, but they are a lot better than I figured at the beginning of this year.

Simms, Glennon- worthless signings. Jackson, Cohen, Howard, Whitehair- solid draft picks. Floyd, Trubisky- jury still out. Shaheen- I dunno, seems like a waste.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:

Obviously we all see why Fox wore out his welcome in Denver. But at the point he was hired, Fox had done two quick turnarounds in Carolina and Denver. So I understand why he was brought here.

The task for Fox and Pace was difficult. There was nothing here. I am slightly encouraged by the rapid and strong turnaround of the defense. They are literally a top five looking group with tons of playmakers. The O line and RB situation is decent as well. There's lots of work to be done, but they are a lot better than I figured at the beginning of this year.

Simms, Glennon- worthless signings. Jackson, Cohen, Howard, Whitehair- solid draft picks. Floyd, Trubisky- jury still out. Shaheen- I dunno, seems like a waste.

I never wanted that old fuck here, if your team has to fire you to win a ring..you are bad at your job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's a question of epistemology I think. If Watson turns out to be a legend, then can we say Pace knowingly/intentionally passed over a legend? Had this debate with FF and a few others regarding drafting in general, and the consensus seems to be that they'd say Pace did in fact knowingly pass over a legend in order to draft (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.

You just can't resist misframing the debate.

It's not about knowingly passing up a legend. It's about misevaluating which player would be better, plain and simple. And of course one evaluation doesn't matter, it's the entire body of work that matters. Pace has been solid.

Anyway, just came here to bump this and say Watson still probably finishes with more TD passes than Mitch this year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
This is so weird. I was just having a conversation with a buddy of mine last week about how all this immediate success for Watson had the feel of RGIII to it. I even mentioned (jokingly) that we need to wait to pass judgement until after we see how he bounces back from the ACL injury (he wound up injuring his MCL, but still).

This sucks tho, I really like Watson and hope he can bounce back from this. Was hoping we'd get to witness some crazy historic season by him where he winds up hoisting the Lombardi trophy over his head at the end of it all.

Another bummer. What a shit year for injuries.