It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
And JLN posting a rule from the rule book isn't the knockout punch that some of you think it is. Somebody post the rules as to what constitutes a catch. Then let's watch 100 different plays, and determine whether they are catches or not. Dez Bryant? Calvin Johnson? Zach Miller? Gronk last night?The Bucs WR from the Rams/Bucs NFC Championship many years ago? Fuck if I know.

There is a lot of interpretation and judgment that goes into MANY calls, hence why the zebras often huddle up before they make a call. Unnecessary roughness is a judgment call. So are intentional grounding and pass interference. And on and on.

After obviously blown calls on a Sunday, the league will issue some sort of statement on Monday. AFAIK, there has been nothing from the NFL this morning.
Are you saying JLN's post is wrong? At a minimum, I'd say it clearly is proof that the call should have stood on the field.

You're a smart guy. You know exactly what I said there. It wasn't some complex idea that requires deep thought.
I don't. Are you saying JLN's post was wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Chus wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about, unless you are tying to equate a Bears game with mocking my autistic son. And then I still don't see the analogy.
:roll: Seriously?

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm mocking you because you sound like the Republicans who say "Stop crying liberals!, Hillary lost!". You know, you're the guy who still thinks Trump should/will go down for the Russia stuff?

Wow, are you all over the place. Now we are playing the "What about" game? :lol: Yes, I think Trump is going to go down, but it has nothing to do with Hillary. She lost. She is never going to be president. Who doesn't get that? And none of that has anything to do with this thread.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Somehow, you think that was a shot at your son?

Well, that isn't. I literally had no idea what you were talking about, and I still don't.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
And JLN posting a rule from the rule book isn't the knockout punch that some of you think it is. Somebody post the rules as to what constitutes a catch. Then let's watch 100 different plays, and determine whether they are catches or not. Dez Bryant? Calvin Johnson? Zach Miller? Gronk last night?The Bucs WR from the Rams/Bucs NFC Championship many years ago? Fuck if I know.

There is a lot of interpretation and judgment that goes into MANY calls, hence why the zebras often huddle up before they make a call. Unnecessary roughness is a judgment call. So are intentional grounding and pass interference. And on and on.

After obviously blown calls on a Sunday, the league will issue some sort of statement on Monday. AFAIK, there has been nothing from the NFL this morning.
Are you saying JLN's post is wrong? At a minimum, I'd say it clearly is proof that the call should have stood on the field.

You're a smart guy. You know exactly what I said there. It wasn't some complex idea that requires deep thought.
I don't. Are you saying JLN's post was wrong?

I didn't say he was right or wrong. I said that many rules are judgment calls, such as the ones I listed. They determined that he fumbled the ball before he touched the ground.

Or are you saying that it was a fumble, but they enforced it incorrectly? If an offensive player fumbles into the end zone, and then out of the end zone, it's a touchback. The pylon is part of the end zone. So, if a player fumbles the ball into the pylon and out of bounds, it should be enforced as a touchback.

I am not doing a bit here, BRick. I legitimately do not understand what point you are trying to make. I apologize for the confusion.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Chus wrote:
I didn't say he was right or wrong. I said that many rules are judgment calls, such as the ones I listed. They determined that he fumbled the ball before he touched the ground.

That isn't the issue. The issue is that after he lost control, while he was touching out of bounds, he made contact with the loose, fumbled football, before it went into the end zone or touched the pylon. This is a DEAD BALL. The play is immediately dead when that happens. The ball then gets placed where he began the fumble, since you cannot fumble the ball forward.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

Chus wrote:
Wow, are you all over the place. Now we are playing the "What about" game? :lol: Yes, I think Trump is going to go down, but it has nothing to do with Hillary. She lost. She is never going to be president. Who doesn't get that? And none of that has anything to do with this thread.
I as mocking you because you sound like a Republican telling the Democrats to stop crying because they lost. You think all Bears fans(besides the friend on your couch) are crying because of a bad call in a game that took away a likely touchdown on the next 3 plays. You are a pretty big Democrat and it's pretty obvious that you think there was a problem in the election. Pointing that out is not crying any more than pointing out a play with visual proof of a bad call is.

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, that isn't. I literally had no idea what you were talking about, and I still don't.
I think that was pretty low of you to try and make it seem like I was attacking your son because of a football debate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

That isn't the issue. The issue is that after he lost control, while he was touching out of bounds, he made contact with the loose, fumbled football, before it went into the end zone or touched the pylon. This is a DEAD BALL. The play is immediately dead when that happens. The ball then gets placed where he began the fumble, since you cannot fumble the ball forward.

And there are pictures of what looks to be his foot touching out of bounds even before that. Even if you argue they are inconclusive, it's certainly not enough to dismiss via a replay review.

IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

It looked like the ball was out while he was in the air. The ball is already out in the picture that keeps getting posted in this thread. The ball is touching his right hand. When he jumped, he had clear possession in both hands. Once the ball moves, possession is lost.

<º)))><

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
I as mocking you because you sound like a Republican telling the Democrats to stop crying because they lost.

They should stop crying that Hillary lost.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

Chus wrote:
It literally is not a judgement call though. What JLN posted is solid proof, and keep in mind here that the play required "indisputable video evidence" to overturn.

Chus wrote:
Or are you saying that it was a fumble, but they enforced it incorrectly? If an offensive player fumbles into the end zone, and then out of the end zone, it's a touchback. The pylon is part of the end zone. So, if a player fumbles the ball into the pylon and out of bounds, it should be enforced as a touchback.
I'm saying it was a bad call. I personally think that his toe was down a second time before he fumbled, but what JLN posted is proof that the play was dead before the ball hit the pylon. So, a Bears fan is not crying by saying that it was a bad call.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Chus wrote:
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

It looked like the ball was out while he was in the air. The ball is already out in the picture that keeps getting posted in this thread. The ball is touching his right hand. When he jumped, he had clear possession in both hands. Once the ball moves, possession is lost.

Possession does not matter when ruling if a ball is dead or not via out of bounds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
I as mocking you because you sound like a Republican telling the Democrats to stop crying because they lost. You think all Bears fans(besides the friend on your couch) are crying because of a bad call in a game that took away a likely touchdown on the next 3 plays. You are a pretty big Democrat and it's pretty obvious that you think there was a problem in the election. Pointing that out is not crying any more than pointing out a play with visual proof of a bad call is.

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think that was pretty low of you to try and make it seem like I was attacking your son because of a football debate.

Rick, I was in no way accusing you of doing that. I thought you were talking about the reactions of Bears fans yesterday, and me in that incident. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. That is not at all what I was saying. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The thing that is pissing me off today is that the radio guys are using this to blast Fox. There are a million reasons to blast that guy, but he is taking heat for a bad call by the refs. He should have challenged that simply to get a better spot.

Chus wrote:
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

That may be the part you are missing.

Imagine this play.

Runner at the 50 yard line near the sideline fumbles the ball. The ball then hits a teammate who is standing with a foot out of bounds. The ball stays in bounds and the defense recovers. Who gets the ball? The answer is the offense keeps the ball because any player who is touching out of bounds who touches the ball immediately ends the play. So, the Bears player ended the play when his knee was down.

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Chus wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
IMU wrote:
It was the wrong call. This is an insane 15 page argument.

I don't get how they can add new info to the challenge. Fox challenged whether he got out of bounds or not. Then they add the fumble/touchback to the equation. No one was challenging if he kept possession. What if they saw a facemask penalty that they missed during the play, they can't add that penalty on after the fact. It all just made no sense to me.

They shouldn't be able to change anything except what is being challenged. That's crap.

Why do they even announce what they are challenging if anything can be looked at?

When the ref announces the challenge, he should just say "The Bears are challenging the ruling on the field of everything that happened on the play."

Why not? The point of replay is to make the correct calls. Those rules in previous years where you couldn't challenge if the call was made one way, but you could if was called the other way, were stupid. You literally couldn't challenge calls even when they were clearly wrong, simply because the wrong call was made. That's insane. Personally, I wouldn't mind going back to no replay at all. But you can't un-ring that bell. If there is a replay system, then everything should be subject to review.

I don't have time to read all the rest of this so I apologize if it has been argued for 2 pages, but the point, at least the point I tried to make yesterday, is that it isn't.

"Everything is under review" except if I see a clear holding penalty or that guy had a PI or there's a facemask, etc....

It should be "I am challenging this - yes or no?" But, it isn't. And yesterday, Bears aside, was bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm 

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Rick, I was in no way accusing you of doing that. I thought you were talking about the reactions of Bears fans yesterday, and me in that incident. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. That is not at all what I was saying. Perhaps I should have been more clear.
No problem. Just wanted to be clear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

And there are pictures of what looks to be his foot touching out of bounds even before that. Even if you argue they are inconclusive, it's certainly not enough to dismiss via a replay review.

But that comes back to my earlier point that these calls are judgments. Was it conclusive enough to change it. It wasn't for some, and it was for the officials. Copying and pasting rules is a waste of time. They know the rules, and made the call that they thought was right after watching replay.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

That may be the part you are missing.

Imagine this play.

Runner at the 50 yard line near the sideline fumbles the ball. The ball then hits a teammate who is standing with a foot out of bounds. The ball stays in bounds and the defense recovers. Who gets the ball? The answer is the offense keeps the ball because any player who is touching out of bounds who touches the ball immediately ends the play. So, the Bears player ended the play when his knee was down.

I'm not playing the hypothetical game. I would rather just focus on this actual play.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

No problem. Just wanted to be clear.

Seriously, I feel awful if it came across that way. I was not accusing you of anything. Again, I sincerely apologize.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
denisdman wrote:
He should have challenged that simply to get a better spot.

Why would you risk losing a time out to go from a 1st and goal at the 2 to a 1st and goal at the 1?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm 

Chus wrote:
I'm not playing the hypothetical game. I would rather just focus on this actual play.
Ok fine.

On the actual play, a player is touching the ball with his knee on the ground out of bounds. Is that correct?
Therefore, the play is dead at that exact moment. Is that correct?
So, even if it was a fumble then the play is dead at the moment that any player on the field touches both out of bounds and the ball. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Chus wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
IMU wrote:
Chus wrote:

But that comes back to my earlier point that these calls are judgments. Was it conclusive enough to change it. It wasn't for some, and it was for the officials. Copying and pasting rules is a waste of time. They know the rules, and made the call that they thought was right after watching replay.

So you believe that no one can criticize any calls the refs ever make?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If people are going to ignore the rules, then yes copying and pasting them is a big waste of time.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm 

newper wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Why would you risk losing a time out to go from a 1st and goal at the 2 to a 1st and goal at the 1?

It looked like that should have been spotted at the half yard line with an outside shot of it being a touchdown. You don't have 10 replays to watch to decide to challenge. You have to make that call quickly, so when I saw it live, I thought he scored or was at least inside the one.

Sure, after you watch it as much as we all did, you realize it was not worth it. But when you see a ball hit the pylon, I am thinking TD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
denisdman wrote:
newper wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It looked like that should have been spotted at the half yard line with an outside shot of it being a touchdown. You don't have 10 replays to watch to decide to challenge. You have to make that call quickly, so when I saw it live, I thought he scored or was at least inside the one.

Sure, after you watch it as much as we all did, you realize it was not worth it. But when you see a ball hit the pylon, I am thinking TD.

But they do have time to watch a few replays. They have guys in the booth for just that purpose. I agree it was difficult to see in real time but the fumble was pretty obvious when viewed in slo-mo. My guess is Cunningham told him it was a TD and he reflexively threw the flag. Should have waited 8 more seconds for input from the booth. I also don't think he would have challenged purely for field position in that situation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Chus wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
IMU wrote:
It was the wrong call. This is an insane 15 page argument.

I don't get how they can add new info to the challenge. Fox challenged whether he got out of bounds or not. Then they add the fumble/touchback to the equation. No one was challenging if he kept possession. What if they saw a facemask penalty that they missed during the play, they can't add that penalty on after the fact. It all just made no sense to me.

They shouldn't be able to change anything except what is being challenged. That's crap.

Why do they even announce what they are challenging if anything can be looked at?

When the ref announces the challenge, he should just say "The Bears are challenging the ruling on the field of everything that happened on the play."

Why not? The point of replay is to make the correct calls. Those rules in previous years where you couldn't challenge if the call was made one way, but you could if was called the other way, were stupid. You literally couldn't challenge calls even when they were clearly wrong, simply because the wrong call was made. That's insane. Personally, I wouldn't mind going back to no replay at all. But you can't un-ring that bell. If there is a replay system, then everything should be subject to review.

I don't have time to read all the rest of this so I apologize if it has been argued for 2 pages, but the point, at least the point I tried to make yesterday, is that it isn't.

"Everything is under review" except if I see a clear holding penalty or that guy had a PI or there's a facemask, etc....

It should be "I am challenging this - yes or no?" But, it isn't. And yesterday, Bears aside, was bullshit.

I don't even know what the rules are anymore. They seem to change at will. The catch/no catch rule is the dumbest thing in sports. My larger point is that too much focus is put on the refs here. If Cunningham holds on to the ball, it's a TD. If Fox doesn't challenge it, they might punch it in on the next play. The Bears could have not let Brett Hundley look like a good QB. They had their chances.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:13 pm 

I never thought about the fumble at all. When I saw several replays, I just figured his knee was down before anything touched the pylon. Yeah, it was a hasty challenge. Just trying to give Fox a small break.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
It literally is not a judgement call though. What JLN posted is solid proof, and keep in mind here that the play required "indisputable video evidence" to overturn.

Is it indisputable or not, is the judgment call. In my perfect world, when a play is reviewed, the correct call should be made regardless of the original call, which often is incorrect.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
I'm saying it was a bad call. I personally think that his toe was down a second time before he fumbled, but what JLN posted is proof that the play was dead before the ball hit the pylon. So, a Bears fan is not crying by saying that it was a bad call.

In that picture he posted, the ball is already out.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm 

Chus wrote:
In that picture he posted, the ball is already out.
Doesn't matter. He is touching the ball while also touching out of bounds. The ball is dead at that exact moment. Fumbling doesn't change that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
Ok fine.

On the actual play, a player is touching the ball with his knee on the ground out of bounds. Is that correct?
Therefore, the play is dead at that exact moment. Is that correct?
So, even if it was a fumble then the play is dead at the moment that any player on the field touches both out of bounds and the ball. Is that correct?

As the rules are stated, yes. I'm not arguing for or against the rule. I'm saying that it looked like the ball slipped out of his hands (it was raining) while he was diving in the air. When his toe hit out of bounds, the ball was already out.

It's not like this was a play against the Lions where my biases could possibly affect my judgment. I was watching as a fan of neither team, but the game itself. You have got to love sports!

I think we are just repeating ourselves at this point.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next