It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loud. Voices.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:17 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You make it sound like that is a bad thing. They are two completely different events.

Even a bad Sox team can still play a good game, and thus entertain the fans. Getting to and from Sox games is much easier in a car or by using public transit. Parking is much more readily available and more affordable, so tailgating needs virtually no pre-planning or passes like a Bears game does. Finally, the entire experience from ticket & concession prices, to the weather, to restroom lines are (generally) far more convenient at Sox games than Bears.

Bears have beaten three likely playoff teams.

Getting to and from a Sox game is only easy because no one is there but it really isn't easier than getting to a Bears game. In fact, it is an almost identical route.

Concession prices are identical and the weather is really only unpleasant in December...just as the weather for April games suck.

Price is really the only factor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
good dolphin wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You make it sound like that is a bad thing. They are two completely different events.

Even a bad Sox team can still play a good game, and thus entertain the fans. Getting to and from Sox games is much easier in a car or by using public transit. Parking is much more readily available and more affordable, so tailgating needs virtually no pre-planning or passes like a Bears game does. Finally, the entire experience from ticket & concession prices, to the weather, to restroom lines are (generally) far more convenient at Sox games than Bears.

Getting to and from a Sox game is only easy because no one is there but it really isn't easier than getting to a Bears game. In fact, it is an almost identical route.

Concession prices are identical and the weather is really only unpleasant in December...just as the weather for April games suck.

Isn't price the deciding factor in most things? If the team is crap, the decision is easy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Isn't price the deciding factor in most things? If the team is crap, the decision is easy.

but we are discussing convenience as the deciding factor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Well if you are tailgating, which I assume most like to do, there is no way in hell you are taking public transportation. So scratch that. That leaves the exiting of Bears game in a car which is a royal pain in the ass. And the parking fees. So, I'm not sure how that is convenient. Especially when the team is crap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
GD, I think you're greatly oversimplifying the game day experience. First of all, parking. There is an annual lottery to get a parking pass, and there are years I got one and years I didn't. You can also end up in the dreaded underground garage, where, of course, you can't tailgate. Getting a South Lot pass is not guaranteed, which then sends you to the secondary market for $100 or so for a good weather game.

Secondly, it takes a great deal of time to get into and out of Soldier Field. This is simply logistics--there are not many entrances. As I stated before, the time commitment for a suburbanite is about 9 AM to 6 PM, door-to-door.

Inside the stadium, the bathroom experience and concession lines are still horrible--you can miss half of a quarter going to the john. Next time you watch on TV, watch how long it takes for the seats to fill up after halftime. That's not because people are enjoying a nice view from the colonnades, it's because (at least from the 400 level), you can't get down, get food, go to the bathroom, and get back up to your seats in less than 30 minutes.

That said, it's still can be a really fun day--tailgate, the game, singing the song when they score, etc., but it is a huge time commitment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:34 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:

Bears have beaten three likely playoff teams. So what? They are 3-8 and have looked like shit more often than not. The Pittsburgh game probably would have been great to be at. Two big plays against Carolina, and that was about it as far as that game goes.

Getting to and from a Sox game is only easy because no one is there but it really isn't easier than getting to a Bears game. In fact, it is an almost identical route. Not at all. Even on a Sunday, the traffic is much different at 3500 south than it is at 1200 south. I can drive for 10 minutes, hop on a Metra train, pop open a cold one, and get dropped off almost right next to The Rate. With an $8-9 weekend pass, its by far the cheapest option. I can decide 2 hours before a Sox game to drive down there, pay $10 to park (on a Sunday), and tailgate without any hassle. Neither of those are an option for a Bears game.

Concession prices are identical and the weather is really only unpleasant in December...just as the weather for April games suck. They are slightly higher for the Bears, and your initial quote was that "i attend Sox games on Summer days and evenings." Do you really want to compare November weather with winds off the lake to an August night game?

Price is really the only factor. I would not at all mind the higher priced tickets and the other inconveniences that I listed above if the Bears were actually worth watching.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Bears have beaten three likely playoff teams. So what? They are 3-8 and have looked like shit more often than not.

Getting to and from a Sox game is only easy because no one is there but it really isn't easier than getting to a Bears game. In fact, it is an almost identical route. Not at all. Even on a Sunday, the traffic is much different at 3500 south than it is at 1200 south. I can drive for 10 minutes, hop on a Metra train, pop open a cold one, and get dropped off almost right next to The Rate. With an $8-9 weekend pass, its by far the cheapest option. I can decide 2 hours before a Sox game to drive down there, pay $10 to park (on a Sunday), and tailgate without any hassle. Neither of those are an option for a Bears game.

Concession prices are identical and the weather is really only unpleasant in December...just as the weather for April games suck. They are slightly higher for the Bears, and your initial quote was that "i attend Sox games on Summer days and evenings." Do you really want to compare November weather with winds off the lake to an August night game?

Price is really the only factor. I would not at all mind the higher priced tickets and the other inconveniences that I listed above if the Bears were actually worth watching.

1) You said the Sox are bad but still occasionally play a good game which makes it more palatable. So do the Bears.

2) You like the convenience of an empty stadium. Great. There are Metra trains that can drop you off next to Soldier. There are Pace busses that drop you off right next to the gate. There is an El stop at Roosevelt.

3) No, I want to compare December weather to April weather. I will compare an August night game to a September afternoon game.

4) We all like watching a good team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:
GD, I think you're greatly oversimplifying the game day experience. First of all, parking. There is an annual lottery to get a parking pass, and there are years I got one and years I didn't. You can also end up in the dreaded underground garage, where, of course, you can't tailgate. Getting a South Lot pass is not guaranteed, which then sends you to the secondary market for $100 or so for a good weather game.

Secondly, it takes a great deal of time to get into and out of Soldier Field. This is simply logistics--there are not many entrances. As I stated before, the time commitment for a suburbanite is about 9 AM to 6 PM, door-to-door.

Inside the stadium, the bathroom experience and concession lines are still horrible--you can miss half of a quarter going to the john. Next time you watch on TV, watch how long it takes for the seats to fill up after halftime. That's not because people are enjoying a nice view from the colonnades, it's because (at least from the 400 level), you can't get down, get food, go to the bathroom, and get back up to your seats in less than 30 minutes.

That said, it's still can be a really fun day--tailgate, the game, singing the song when they score, etc., but it is a huge time commitment.

If you are making the 9 am to 6 pm door to door commitment, Soldier Field is in and out traffic. Get there at 11 and it is a pain. Get there at 10 and you barely tap the breaks.

The Sox and Bears is an inexact comparison because the Sox are an empty stadium. Compare it to the Cubs, which was filled even when they were bad. Get off at Addison one hour before first pitch and you have all the frustrations you do getting off LSD one hour before kickoff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

No, compare the Cubs to the Bears because there is literally no affordable parking near either stadium.

1) The Bears occasionally play a good game. They haven't in month. When the Sox play like complete shit for 25% of their season, then you can talk.

2) Even the handful of times the Sox have a huge crowd, parking, bathroom lines, concession, etc are still way easier to deal with than at Solider Field. Public transportation is still easier getting a Sox game than a Bears game. I noticed you completely glossed over the driving and parking down at a Bears game. As I have stated, I can leave my house 2-2.5 hours before a Sox game, pay a reasonable fee, and park in Sox easy out lot. If I show up at 10am for a noon-kick Bears game, how much is it going to cost me to park and how far away from Soldier Field will I be?

3) This was your initial post; you attend white sox games on summer days and evenings. You said summer.

4) Have fun freezing and watching a terrible football game on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
free to park at 31st and canal. its a canton neighborhood they are not going to break into your car. 10 minute walk to the cell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
No, compare the Cubs to the Bears because there is literally no affordable parking near either stadium.

1) The Bears occasionally play a good game. They haven't in month. When the Sox play like complete shit for 25% of their season, then you can talk.

2) Even the handful of times the Sox have a huge crowd, parking, bathroom lines, concession, etc are still way easier to deal with than at Solider Field. Public transportation is still easier getting a Sox game than a Bears game. I noticed you completely glossed over the driving and parking down at a Bears game. As I have stated, I can leave my house 2-2.5 hours before a Sox game, pay a reasonable fee, and park in Sox easy out lot. If I show up at 10am for a noon-kick Bears game, how much is it going to cost me to park and how far away from Soldier Field will I be?

3) This was your initial post; you attend white sox games on summer days and evenings. You said summer.

4) Have fun freezing and watching a terrible football game on Sunday.

Except it is going to be 47 and sunny. Brrrrr!

Show up at 10 am with your parking pass and it is $50 with in and out traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 pm 

America wrote:
free to park at 31st and canal. its a canton neighborhood they are not going to break into your car. 10 minute walk to the cell.

I can park for $10 in Printer's Row, grab a Hackneys burger and get to the stadium in 20.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:

I can park for $10 in Printer's Row, grab a Hackneys burger and get to the stadium in 20.

I lived in Printer's Row, that Hackey's sadly has been replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
That is the point. No parking pass and you're screwed.

Show up to a Sox game anytime-- even if its Opening Day or Cubs/Sox series-- and $20 gets you an easy out parking spot with no more than a 2-4 block walk to the park. That is impossible to do for a Bears game.

You have also completely ignored Heisenberg's comments on the 30-40 minute round trip to the bathrooms & concessions at Bears games.

For the $50 you pay to park at a Bears game, I can get a Sox ticket, pay to park, get a beer and a hotdog, and have little to no hassle walking around, getting in to or out of the stadium, and miss maybe a batter or two going to the bathroom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:35 pm 

America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:

I lived in Printer's Row, that Hackey's sadly has been replaced.

Its reopened as H. Same Hackney burger but I think it allows them to use the space as a bar at night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
lol, the Hackney's in the city as simply "H." Too perfect.

My takeaway from this discussion is that some families are simply Bears Families and derive a great deal of enjoyment from the attendance of Bears games, and that's dolphin. I have gotten the impression here and there that the Soldier Field experience is a bit lacking compared to venues around the league, but I've never been to an NFL game, so I can't really say.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
That is the point. No parking pass and you're screwed.

Show up to a Sox game anytime-- even if its Opening Day or Cubs/Sox series-- and $20 gets you an easy out parking spot with no more than a 2-4 block walk to the park. That is impossible to do for a Bears game.

You have also completely ignored Heisenberg's comments on the 30-40 minute round trip to the bathrooms & concessions at Bears games.

For the $50 you pay to park at a Bears game, I can get a Sox ticket, pay to park, get a beer and a hotdog, and have little to no hassle walking around, getting in to or out of the stadium, and miss maybe a batter or two going to the bathroom.

Don't FarveFan me. I cannot address every nuance of every comment addressed to me when I am being addressed by multiple people at the same time.

I disagree with his assessment but maybe 300 and 400 sections have different experiences.

I believe you can park on the other side of the railroad at Soldier for $20 and is as close as walking over a bridge. But price isn't convenience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: Showing up at 10am with your parking pass is not some sort of subtle requirement. It completely changes the narrative. If you have pass, you're fine. If you don't, you're screwed. Pass or no pass, you can drive right in to a Sox lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

My takeaway from this discussion is that some families are simply Bears Families and derive a great deal of enjoyment from the attendance of Bears games, and that's dolphin. I have gotten the impression here and there that the Soldier Field experience is a bit lacking compared to venues around the league, but I've never been to an NFL game, so I can't really say.

I don't argue that Soldier Field is some kind of transformative experience but it is a comfortable place to watch game.

I am going to the game in Detroit as I will be there on business and it is a Saturday game. I haven't been to any other NFL stadiums so I will see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
Don't FarveFan me. I cannot address every nuance of every comment addressed to me when I am being addressed by multiple people at the same time.

I disagree with his assessment but maybe 300 and 400 sections have different experiences.

I believe you can park on the other side of the railroad at Soldier for $20 and is as close as walking over a bridge. But price isn't convenience.

I'm not criticizing Chicago/Bears for the location of Soldier Field. It is what it is. It's better to have a stadium that convenient-ish to reach via multiple forms of transportation.

But it's location has drawbacks/tradeoffs compared to backwater cities like Green Bay, Cleveland or any college town. For myself, I consider the tailgate more important and the true star of attending a football game. We have a difference in preferences.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Showing up at 10am with your parking pass is not some sort of subtle requirement. It completely changes the narrative. If you have pass, you're fine. If you don't, you're screwed. Pass or no pass, you can drive right in to a Sox lot.

On a sold out day?

No.

You said you could leave your house 2-2.5 hours before the game. If I leave my house at 9:30 I am in the parking lot at 10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yes. I was at Opening Day a few years ago and had no problems parking at 12pm. I was at the Blackout game and had no issues parking about 90min before first pitch.

You are STILL missing the point. You are in the parking lot at 10 as long as you have your parking pass. You have to acquire said pass well before the game. If you do not have a pass, you must plan far ahead of time for parking and tailgating. Literally the only thing you have to do before driving to a Sox game is to put ice in your cooler and check the traffic report. Drive to lot, pay, park car. You cannot do this for a spur of the moment trip to a Bears game!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:
I'm not criticizing Chicago/Bears for the location of Soldier Field. It is what it is. It's better to have a stadium that convenient-ish to reach via multiple forms of transportation.

But it's location has drawbacks/tradeoffs compared to backwater cities like Green Bay, Cleveland or any college town. For myself, I consider the tailgate more important and the true star of attending a football game. We have a difference in preferences.

Would it break your heart if the Bears were out near EGV and just had their own Foxboro-style suburban fiefdom? I still think Soldier Field is a terrific waste of the lakefront.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I got free tickets to a game about a month ago at the last minute (like 9 AM the morning of the game). I didn't have a parking pass, so I was pretty much had to hunt for parking somewhere west of the stadium on the other side of the tracks. All the lots I saw between State St and Lake Shore Dr. were a minimum of $30, and the lots that allowed tailgating were even more (about $50-$60).

Getting into the stadium is also a complete joke regardless of any time you are arriving. You would think they could have alleviated the entry and exit issues when they remodeled the place, but I think it's even worse now.

We had club seats, like 4th row on the 40ish Yard Line. The seats are incredible for a football game, but football is still by far the worst sport to see in person. No matter where you sit, at least 50% of the action is going to be at a terrible view.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yes. I was at Opening Day a few years ago and had no problems parking at 12pm. I was at the Blackout game and had no issues parking about 90min before first pitch.

You are STILL missing the point. You are in the parking lot at 10 as long as you have your parking pass. You have to acquire said pass well before the game. If you do not have a pass, you must plan far ahead of time for parking and tailgating. Literally the only thing you have to do before driving to a Sox game is to put ice in your cooler and check the traffic report. Drive to lot, pay, park car. You cannot do this for a spur of the moment trip to a Bears game!

I walked up to the blackout game and got a ticket and I cannot remember the last time opening day didn't have tickets available.

I guess I have to concede that an empty stadium is very convenient. You got me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 pm 

Ease and accessibility of games:

1.Sox
2.Bulls/Hawks
3.Cubs
4.Bears

You would have to pay me to attend a Bears game.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
I walked up to the blackout game and got a ticket
No you didn't. Maybe you picked one up at will call, but that game sold out in advance real quick.

The Christmas Eve Bears Browns game will likely have a half empty Soldier Field, and it will still be a pain ass to get in and out of.....unless you have your special, $50 season ticket holder parking pass.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Would it break your heart if the Bears were out near EGV and just had their own Foxboro-style suburban fiefdom? I still think Soldier Field is a terrific waste of the lakefront.

Not at all. It does seem like Park District tries to maximize the use Soldier Field for what it is unlike JERRY!.!1 and the G-Rate. But totally agree that Soldier Field is a waste of prime lakefront.

Chicago isn't Green Bay or a college town where a football stadium is/needs to be the premier attraction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

More parking lots!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next