It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
BD wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Is Ted really trying to sell this after 3 straight last place finishes?

Yes, he's saying he believes in the rebuild and the job that Pace is doing. Doesn't he have to say these things?

I was referencing his opening statement. The Bears should have just released a statement announcing the extension and skipped the Phillips monologue altogether.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
He's a seasoned veteran at not answering questions.

Yes he is. There isn't much to learn from these press conferences. He doesn't give any specifics, plays everything close to the vest, and is excited about everybody. I don't think I learned one thing from today's press conference, but I'm also not surprised by this - this is what pretty much every football coach/GM does these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
They have not contacted any potential candidates because "we wanted to give this day the respect it deserves". WHAT ?????

I can see why they extended him. Perfect for this organization.

And did anyone hear? Ryan's "excited"!

There are at least 2 reports by respected NFL reports today that suggest Pace isn't being honest about this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Dan is very disappointed in today's outcome.

Pace did not win the press conference. He is very annoyed.

What was Dan expecting Pace to say today?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
The is the first time I can remember Laurence pushing back against Bernsie.

What did Laurence say to push back against Bernsie?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

312player wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Does any GM have final decision on a coach? Doesn’t the owner/President have to sign off?

I think most GMs generally have the final say.

Aren't most GMs answering to ownership and basically telling them this is what we are doing?

The Bears are the only team who has a bean counter seperating GM from Ownership.

I'm not sure the current structure is odd at all. The GM makes the call. He informs the President of his decision. I assume they sign-off on any coaching hire unless you have a Gruden situation or some past character issues.

I realize and understand why Phillips is hated though. I don't like to hear that he and ownership are involved in the process as a sounding board/devil's advocate for Pace.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

America wrote:
Ted Phillips is GM, Ryan Pace is lead scout.

When you think of their roles that way, which btw is the correct way, everything makes sense. The baffling way the Bears seem to do business isn't really that perplexing. They just have an extremely secretive and abnormal decision making process when it comes to personnel. The usual titles are meaningless when it comes to the Bears, with a series of stooges assuming "important" roles serve only as fodder to a pitchfork wielding fanbase when the (inevitable) failure comes. But the real culprits, the true incompetents, stay insulated in vague positions with little media exposure or prestige. In this way the Bears are very similar to a Reinsdorf team.

I come away feeling pretty good about Pace's football acumen because he does seem to be better than most at finding good players. When you admit that Pace has basically no input on big picture moves or the general direction of the club it strips away a lot of his supposed failures. Another team will be smart enough to hire him after Ted throws him in front of the bus and he'll do well when he's holding the keys.

Except, I don't think it is accurate to refer to Phillips as the GM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm 

BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Repeatedly challenged him on "Ted is just an accountant" narrative.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

He's clearly more than that if he's involved at all in the coaching search, and that doesn't seem to be in question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BD wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

A few days ago, Dan said he thought Pace should be alone at the press conference and say, "I fired John Fox...it was my decision." Pace said exactly what Dan did NOT want him to say...that it was a collaborative decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm 

BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

He's clearly more than that if he's involved at all in the coaching search, and that doesn't seem to be in question.

It was clear to everyone but Dan.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
conns7901 wrote:

I fairness to DB, I think he knew the truth but was perpetuating the lie to protect Phillips (who knows why...maybe he was Dan's source for news, maybe he goes to the same synagogue...).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Minooka Meatball wrote:
So, after I move to Columbus next month, which Ohio NFL team would be less embarrassing to be a fan of than the Bears?

The Buckeyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jaw Breaker wrote:
BD wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

A few days ago, Dan said he thought Pace should be alone at the press conference and say, "I fired John Fox...it was my decision." Pace said exactly what Dan did NOT want him to say...that it was a collaborative decision.

He said the same thing today leading up to the press conference; guess his source isn't that great at all is it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I'm also disgusted by the utterly spineless media members that refused to ask even a single tough question.

And this is the bunch that used to talk about Bear Weather and now loves to trumpet how places like Green Bay have a lap dog media. When they arent telling each other how smart and great they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
The beat guys suck. Only Cowley asked tough questions when he was on the Sox beat.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Regular Reader wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I'm also disgusted by the utterly spineless media members that refused to ask even a single tough question.

And this is the bunch that used to talk about Bear Weather and now loves to trumpet how places like Green Bay have a lap dog media. When they arent telling each other how smart and great they are.

So true, heard that dipshit Hub say " It's NY and Chicago media that most coaches can't handle" :lol:

Chicago media is pathetic, soft as baby shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
lol all of this sounds like complete bullshit. The Bears are a pile of burning dumpsters stacked one on top of another.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Baker Mayfield shit the bed in the Rose Bowl and Georgia take the lead in the 4th after being down most of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
BD wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Was an explanation provided today by Dan to explain why Pace/Phillips publicly disagree with him? Seems to be one logical answer to this question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

FrankDrebin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
BD wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

He said the same thing today leading up to the press conference; guess his source isn't that great at all is it

I think Dan is his own source.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Minooka Meatball wrote:
So, after I move to Columbus next month, which Ohio NFL team would be less embarrassing to be a fan of than the Bears?

Browns have a seemingly competent GM now and have 4 picks in the top 40 or something ridiculous like that. Just go all in with the Browns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

Browns have a seemingly competent GM now and have 4 picks in the top 40 or something ridiculous like that. Just go all in with the Browns.

Yeah go all in on the Browns. What could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Is it bad that I really don't care who the Bears hire as a coach or who makes the decision? I am so done with this team that it doesn't even matter to me what they do until they are kicking off to start a playoff game.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I fairness to DB, I think he knew the truth but was perpetuating the lie to protect Phillips (who knows why...maybe he was Dan's source for news, maybe he goes to the same synagogue...).

The Bears are a Catholic organization, hiring heavily out of ND (where Phillips went). Wanny was beloved because he regularly attend mass.

The only non Christians I can remember in any position of power were Trestman and Cliff Stein.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

The Bears are a Catholic organization, hiring heavily out of ND (where Phillips went). Wanny was beloved because he regularly attend mass.

The only non Christians I can remember in any position of power were Trestman and Cliff Stein.

It is known that only really.smart.joos. are the ones who can head front offices and lead teams to success . It is known.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Wanny was hired because he was the most sought after coach on the market when the Bears hired him.

Sid Luckman was the old man's most trusted adviser for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Wanny was hired because he was the most sought after coach on the market when the Bears hired him.

Didn't say why he was hired.

I'm glad you found a third.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Your premise is incorrect.

He was beloved for the same reason he was hired. Because he was the best and most popular candidate that year.

And Uncle Sid was the old man's guy for 40 years. So much for a Jewish guy having to be Catholic. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:30 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Your premise is incorrect.

He was beloved for the same reason he was hired. Because he was the best and most popular candidate that year.

And Uncle Sid was the old man's guy for 40 years. So much for a Jewish guy having to be Catholic. :lol:

Wait, what?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:45 pm 

but don't take my word on it. Here is what Melissa Isaacson had to say:

In contrast, Wannstedt's firing was said to be extremely hard for the McCaskeys -- particularly for family matriarch, Virginia -- in part because Wannstedt shared similar religious and moral beliefs, and it could very well be similarly difficult with Smith.

http://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?id=4744062