It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am 

So the new head coach must have Vic as his Defensive coordinator?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 am 

conns7901 wrote:

Pace was compelled to hire Fox. New coach compelled to hire Fangio. It has to work eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
conns7901 wrote:

No, more like "Vic is not the reason Fox got fired, so if you want to keep him and he wants to stay, fine by us."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
The Bears recently sat down with Vic for an interview -hard for me to imagine that a litany of things weren't discussed during that process, including this. In other words, we don't know if this is just petty incompetence on the Bears end, or an already discussed -and agreed upon- course of action.

That aside, I'm not sure I like the idea of forcing a coaching staff on an incoming HC, it limits your options. The only team I can recall it working for recently has been the Steelers (I think Dick LeBeau was initially retained when Tomlin got the position and they won an SB together). I also don't like that this seems to indicate that the Bears have tunnel vision in selecting an HC and aren't truly open to finding the best coach possible.

Once again we're left to question the Bears on a process because they can't seem to ever go about doing anything in a smooth, deliberate, transitional -and at least from the outside looking in- professional manner.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am not sure it will be forced. But if a candidate does not already have a DC on the line why not suggest Fangio?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

No, more like "Vic is not the reason Fox got fired, so if you want to keep him and he wants to stay, fine by us."

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I am not sure it will be forced. But if a candidate does not already have a DC on the line why not suggest Fangio?

Its one thing if you find 'your' guy, and he says to you 'hey, do you mind if I interview Vic for the DC position, I really like him?' Its another thing entirely to say 'Hey, we really like Vic Fangio, we want you to retain him as your DC if we hire you'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 pm 

You aren't committed to finding the best Head Coach if you are forcing a defensive coordinator on that new coach, you're only committed to finding the best offensive coach when you do something like this. Now it might still work out (I pointed out Tomlin and DL in an earlier post), but overall I think its a mistake to do it this way.

Find the guy you really believe is the best coach -not the best offensive or defensive coach- the best coach. Then let him tell you who he likes and who he wants to bring in.

Last edited by NME on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
NME wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Its one thing if you find 'your' guy, and he says to you 'hey, do you mind if I interview Vic for the DC position, I really like him?' Its another thing entirely to say 'Hey, we really like Vic Fangio, we want you to retain him as your DC if we hire you'.

We will see but again my gut is it’s not forced.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm 

pittmike wrote:
NME wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Sounds like it is suggested.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

pittmike wrote:
NME wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If that's true, and its DeFillipo that actually wants Vic, then I'm ok with that. I just don't think thats the reality of the situation. And given this front offices track record of ham fisting just about anything, they do not get my benefit of the doubt here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Not sure why Fangio would have wanted the Bengals DC job anyways. Marvin Lewis is a defensive guy so he would be coaching behind his shadow and they also have a 4-3 in place so I can't imagine them changing it anytime soon.

If the Packers do offer Fangio their DC job, that will a very attractive I imagine. Assuming Rodgers comes back 100% there is zero pressure. You don't even have to make the defense top 10, just middle of the pack and they win 11-12 games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Not sure why Fangio would have wanted the Bengals DC job anyways. Marvin Lewis is a defensive guy so he would be coaching behind his shadow and they also have a 4-3 in place so I can't imagine them changing it anytime soon.

If the Packers do offer Fangio their DC job, that will a very attractive I imagine. Assuming Rodgers comes back 100% there is zero pressure. You don't even have to make the defense top 10, just middle of the pack and they win 11-12 games.

Their coach is in the last year of his contract.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: John's
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Their coach is in the last year of his contract.

As long as Rodgers can still play, McCarthy is going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
'77Cubs wrote:
What a bunch of petty assholes:

Brad Biggs
‏Verified account @BradBiggs
23m23 minutes ago

#Bears denied permission for #Bengals to talk to Vic Fangio but he'll be free to talk to teams soon.

Turned on the Score around 10:00 last night.

Julie DiCaro totally agrees with you. So you have that going for you.