It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Reading stuff about how the first practices under Eberflus are markedly different than anything under Nagy with writers using terms like "ramped up" and "vigorous". One even used the term "Country Club" to refer to Nagy's approach which was likely lifted from this very board because I used it often, that's fine, other dudes here frequently use my catchphrases, I still use stuff I lifted from Kevin Matthews years ago to great effect.

This all brings back the age-old argument about just how much difference a coach makes. While it was readily apparent to anyone other than the "Bears Media", "Sports talk radio hosts", and "Bears Experts", just how inept Nagy was as a HC, it is hard to quantify just how that shakes out in wins and losses. Will Eberflus come in with many of the same tactics as Lovie did and develop a team that actually wins more games because they are hustling around, and how long will this type of approach last, especially with vets? Read tons and tons of articles about how Nagy was a "players coach", who created a "great team culture", heard that ad nauseum from Bernstein, Parkins, Hub, and Holmes, but that was apparently a completely failed approach that got him fired.

Does a simple change in the attitude of the dude at the top get you a few more wins despite having one of the worst rosters in the NFL?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
There’s got to be a happy medium between rotating back and forth from hard-ass coaches and completely hands off coaches.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:34 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
There’s got to be a happy medium between rotating back and forth from hard-ass coaches and completely hands off coaches.

I don't think Eberflus could be seen as a hard-ass coach. Watched him in the Colts Hard knocks thing. He maybe closer to that than Nagy ever was. But he seems more like a guy in between those categories.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
None of this will matter if they’re idiots on game day.. good play calling and game planning matter. Nagy’s era sucked mostly because they failed miserably at both of those.

This isn’t to say practice doesn’t matter, but there’s an element of ‘practicing harder will only mean you die tired on the field’ (so to speak) if the game plan sucks and the play calling sucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Clawmaster wrote:
Reading stuff about how the first practices under Eberflus are markedly different than anything under Nagy with writers using terms like "ramped up" and "vigorous". One even used the term "Country Club" to refer to Nagy's approach which was likely lifted from this very board because I used it often, that's fine, other dudes here frequently use my catchphrases, I still use stuff I lifted from Kevin Matthews years ago to great effect.

This all brings back the age-old argument about just how much difference a coach makes. While it was readily apparent to anyone other than the "Bears Media", "Sports talk radio hosts", and "Bears Experts", just how inept Nagy was as a HC, it is hard to quantify just how that shakes out in wins and losses. Will Eberflus come in with many of the same tactics as Lovie did and develop a team that actually wins more games because they are hustling around, and how long will this type of approach last, especially with vets? Read tons and tons of articles about how Nagy was a "players coach", who created a "great team culture", heard that ad nauseum from Bernstein, Parkins, Hub, and Holmes, but that was apparently a completely failed approach that got him fired.

Does a simple change in the attitude of the dude at the top get you a few more wins despite having one of the worst rosters in the NFL?

You created a post discussing Matt Nagy's practices without using the phrase "grab ass." What happened? Is "grab ass" getting retired?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Regardless of what they say now, local sports talk radio loved Club Dub.

More help for the defense.

Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
The Bears signed Tavon Young, who was primarily a slot corner in Baltimore, in free agency. That seems to be to the benefit of Kyler Gordon, who does have outside/inside capabilities, but will be asked to focus on one role (outside CB, just not sure what side) to start out.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:25 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

You created a post discussing Matt Nagy's practices without using the phrase "grab ass." What happened? Is "grab ass" getting retired?

Not retired, trying to find synonyms in my Thesaurus, but with little success.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:22 am 

Nagy's teams always seemed unprepared. They always lost first quarters, they played badly with longer rest, etc. Better preparation should make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: John's
The new offensive coordinator has never called plays, EVER at any level in football so to assume they will be better prepared on gameday is based on nothing but a hope and a prayer. He could be as bad if not worse than Nagy.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:06 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
The new offensive coordinator has never called plays, EVER at any level in football so to assume they will be better prepared on gameday is based on nothing but a hope and a prayer. He could be as bad if not worse than Nagy.

I don't deny that but that is usually going to be true of a new coaching group. People usually don't make lateral moves.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Nagy's teams always seemed unprepared. They always lost first quarters, they played badly with longer rest, etc. Better preparation should make a difference.

And they always lost the halftime adjustments too.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

Something happened after the Rams game in Year 1. Something else happened after the London game in Year 2. Nagy never recovered/adjusted.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:00 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Something happened after the Rams game in Year 1. Something else happened after the London game in Year 2. Nagy never recovered/adjusted.

For me it's the 2019 season opener against the Packers. The "ahead of his time", Nagy basically giving the starters the pre-season off, a few reports trickled out about the offense looking terrible, but were quickly squashed by the vaunted "Bears Experts", we now realize we were seeing the first signs of Nagy's incompetence as a coach. Then you got the lid lifter on the 2019 season where the Packers provided a blueprint for the rest of the league on how to shut down Nagy's offense, the rest of the league copied the approach, and Nagy never adjusted. You saw a defense that could dominate at times, but an offense that looked unprepared, confused, and a HC that was unable to make any adjustments.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Clawmaster wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

For me it's the 2019 season opener against the Packers. The "ahead of his time", Nagy basically giving the starters the pre-season off, a few reports trickled out about the offense looking terrible, but were quickly squashed by the vaunted "Bears Experts", we now realize we were seeing the first signs of Nagy's incompetence as a coach. Then you got the lid lifter on the 2019 season where the Packers provided a blueprint for the rest of the league on how to shut down Nagy's offense, the rest of the league copied the approach, and Nagy never adjusted. You saw a defense that could dominate at times, but an offense that looked unprepared, confused, and a HC that was unable to make any adjustments.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... h-trubisky

Amos knew what play was coming

I remember the diagram of the play afterwards being shown as 4 guys running straight up field, with Robinson running the same route, with a break to the corner pylon.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

And they always lost the halftime adjustments too.

And they never could capitalize on the extra bye week prep time.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

Commonsense approach to playcalling. It will be refreshing if they follow through with this.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... in-fields/

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Commonsense approach to playcalling. It will be refreshing if they follow through with this.

Matt Nagy is probably a league wide inside joke

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's why he's a quarterback coach for a team that doesn't need one.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:04 pm 

It's all speculation right now, but watched some stuff today where the dude was guessing that Getsy will use quite a bit of the Green Bay playbook, looking to take advantage of RB vs LB matchups with quick crossing routes to backs. A much more QB friendly system, and makes sense given the RB room is one of the few places where they should be at least average. If that is the case you can see why they liked Jones and Ebner, both guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and are shifty enough to make the first guy miss.

Fields seemed to struggle last year with quick completions, hearing they have worked on shortening up his release so he can get the ball out quicker, he's gonna have to given the limitations on the Oline.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:
It's all speculation right now, but watched some stuff today where the dude was guessing that Getsy will use quite a bit of the Green Bay playbook, looking to take advantage of RB vs LB matchups with quick crossing routes to backs. A much more QB friendly system, and makes sense given the RB room is one of the few places where they should be at least average. If that is the case you can see why they liked Jones and Ebner, both guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and are shifty enough to make the first guy miss.

Fields seemed to struggle last year with quick completions, hearing they have worked on shortening up his release so he can get the ball out quicker, he's gonna have to given the limitations on the Oline.

Yeah, he struggled completing passes under 10 yards, but could drop a dime from 40 yards away.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:43 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Nas wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's why he's a quarterback coach for a team that doesn't need one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:06 am 

Again, this is all speculatory because Getsy has never been an NFL OC before, but from the bits you hear trickling out from the vaunted "Bears experts" who are closely covering the team it does sound as if they will at least have a plan on offense, which will be a marked improvement over the Nagy regime where it seemed at times he would just randomly point at his play sheet when calling plays.

Ebner and Herbert seem to fit what they want to do, both small fast guys, and Ebner looks to run routes and catch the ball well for a RB. You can see what they are trying to build, but it will be tough to execute given the current state of the Oline, expect immediate inside pressure if the go with what they currently have listed on the depth chart at RG, and immediate outside pressure if the go with Borom at LT.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:46 am 

You can also expect three and outs and a 14 points per game average.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
i think you play like you practice, even at the NFL level. So good for FLUS

matt nagy was barely qualified to get an OC job when the bears hired him to be their HC. I can only assume the national media lovefest with nagy, nagy's positive attitude (interview), and the ineptitude of the mccaskey's all combined to get us Nagy. Then year one armed with a SB caliber defense he wins 12 games, but the offense never got good or even average.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yes?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/justin-fie ... 00284.html

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyler-gord ... 31923.html

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:39 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Josh Schrock sounds like he’s on the Bears’ payroll with all the water he’s carrying.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am 

Both Gordon and Brisker excel due to unique abilities.

Eberflus and Poles targeted Gordon because of his "movement skills,"

Glad we got the only players in the league who can move.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Seems like there's friction between Jaylon Johnson and the new coaching staff. They had Johnson on the second team at yesterday's practice.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:47 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nas wrote:

Well, I'm glad they have Fields "on the move" a lot since the team may have the worst offensive line in the NFL right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next