Post subject: Re: Fangio is back
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Like I said in the other thread, I prefer Fangio. MANY indeed are saying it though from what I’m reading on twitter and Reddit. Not GB fans, just fans of other teams giving their input.

Before taking the Browns job, Pettine was the defensive coordinator for Rex Ryan with the New York Jets from 2009-2012 and for Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills in 2013. His defenses’ DVOA from those five seasons in order were: 1st, 5th, 2nd, 9th and 4th.

but was Rex Ryan calling the defensive plays

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Like I said in the other thread, I prefer Fangio. MANY indeed are saying it though from what I’m reading on twitter and Reddit. Not GB fans, just fans of other teams giving their input.

Before taking the Browns job, Pettine was the defensive coordinator for Rex Ryan with the New York Jets from 2009-2012 and for Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills in 2013. His defenses’ DVOA from those five seasons in order were: 1st, 5th, 2nd, 9th and 4th.

Either way, sounds like both the Bears and Packers come out of this with good D-coordinators.

I'm happy if Vic stays put.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 am 

Nas wrote:
Fangio doesn't strike me as a power hungry guy.

He seems like a rugged individualist...like he'd hate anyone who liked him too much. Also, the market has told him that DC will be his highest position.

I think he is a good DC and am happy to have him continue. I don't think it would have doomed anything if he wasn't retained as long as they hired a competent replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

SOLID. Wouldn't you agree, Don and Nas?

Never said he was bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am 

pittmike wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I'll only get on board if Nagy's first move is to cut Noah Jackson.

:lol: I loved ole Noah and Revie pulling around the end.

I went to a game as a young kid. It was sub 10 degrees so my dad must have gotten great seats from someone who didn't want to go. I was at about the 50 and no more than 10 rows up on the Bear sideline so I could see and hear everything. At a point in the game someone in the crowd threw a shoe and hit Noah in the helmet. He was looking in the crowd and swearing. I only remember thinking how that guy survived the weather without a shoe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am 

The person who benefits most from his return is Floyd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Considering the defenses Rex Ryan had since Pettine left.... unlikely.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Fangio is overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It's easy to have a great defense when you have great players. Fangio has proven he can have an above average to great defense with no great players.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Shouldn't there have been an announcement by now? Are there even any DC jobs remaining? Is he telling the Bears to fuck off? Is his salary going to be an issue in relation to the rookie coach's?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Nas wrote:
It's easy to have a great defense when you have great players. Fangio has proven he can have an above average to great defense with no great players.

Patrick Willis is a HOF caliber LB and Bowman not much worse. He had Whitner, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald (eek) and Justin Smith too.

On the Bears he's been bumslayer extraordinaire for one season and dogshit the rest of the time. No Bears defenders are really developing under Fangio. Certainly no Bears defender has taken the next step to becoming an all pro or even pro bowl caliber player through Fangio's entire three year tenure on the Bears. Plus the Bears have no defensive identity the way Lovie's teams did or the truly great defenses of today do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
America wrote:
Nas wrote:

Patrick Willis is a HOF caliber LB and Bowman not much worse. He had Whitner, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald (eek) and Justin Smith too.

On the Bears he's been bumslayer extraordinaire for one season and dogshit the rest of the time. No Bears defenders are really developing under Fangio. Certainly no Bears defender has taken the next step to becoming an all pro or even pro bowl caliber player through Fangio's entire three year tenure on the Bears. Plus the Bears have no defensive identity the way Lovie's teams did or the truly great defenses of today do.

I was speaking more about the Bears. None have become great buy even with injuries he's been able to sustain a really good defense. Find him a great player and things start to changr.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:00 pm 

Nas wrote:
America wrote:
Nas wrote:

I was speaking more about the Bears. None have become great buy even with injuries he's been able to sustain a really good defense. Find him a great player and things start to changr.

and 49ers were a bottom dweller before he got there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
So what is the deal, is this fucking daego done hemming and hawing? Is he coming back?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm 

Mike Jurecki‏Verified account
@mikejurecki
Hearing the #Bears would like to talk to Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher about a role in Chicago.

If Vic is being a little bitch about this, then I would rather have Bettcher who is younger and better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
WTF is FAngio's problem? He's not getting a better job. Caller Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm 

He's a fucking Italian. Can't trust those people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 pm 

I'm glad Fangio is playing hardball with these fuckers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Are you a Bears fan or a fan of this stupid ass wap? He couldn't even beat the Packers backup QB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Are you a Bears fan or a fan of this stupid ass wap? He couldn't even beat the Packers backup QB.

Neither. I'm just enjoying watching the Bears fuck up another "slam dunk" hire that everyone had as a done deal. If they don't re-sign him, what's the excuse going to be? That Nagy wanted to go in another direction? That Fangio refused to take a pay cut because they can't have him making more than Nagy? I caught shit from some for saying the Bears pissed Fangio off by blocking him from talking to the Bengals, and that is apparently coming back to bite them.

I think it's still more likely than not that he returns, but nothing wrong with making the Bears squirm. Regardless of whether he really matters, it would be a huge PR fail for them if he walks. Dave McGinnis had the balls, and he hadn't banked the millions that Fangio has.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 pm 

Jaw Breaker making some great points.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 am 

He is but if Fangio is back, great. If not, there are other people who are good at the job available. Find me one of those other guys. Of course, the Bears are liable to let Fangio go and then hire someone with a bad resume.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am 

This is a question I don't know the answer to. I'm guessing there are at least some success stories here.

How many times in recent history has the coach been fired, and the offensive or defensive coordinator stuck around, and it worked out well for everyone? Now, the one that comes to mind to me is Dick LeBeau who I believe went from Cowher to Tomlin. However, it is at least phrased that Bill Cowher "retired" from the Steelers.

It just seems like a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is a question I don't know the answer to. I'm guessing there are at least some success stories here.

How many times in recent history has the coach been fired, and the offensive or defensive coordinator stuck around, and it worked out well for everyone? Now, the one that comes to mind to me is Dick LeBeau who I believe went from Cowher to Tomlin. However, it is at least phrased that Bill Cowher "retired" from the Steelers.

It just seems like a bad idea.

it doesn't happen very often, but is the bad you expect to happen here?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Buddy Ryan and Da Coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
It's official per Biggs

ChicagoSports
‏Verified account @ChicagoSports
4m4 minutes ago

The waiting is over, reports @BradBiggs
http://trib.in/2qXXnW6

As much as the Bears sought a fresh voice and new approach for the offense and quarterback Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky, they were pretty happy with how the defense has come along.

They have to feel like they might have the best for both sides of the ball now after defensive coordinator Vic Fangio agreed to return Friday, four days after the Bears hired Matt Nagy as head coach.

The Bears couldn’t know exactly how Fangio would react when he was informed Monday morning the team had selected someone else as the next head coach. General manager Ryan Pace gave Fangio the first interview for the position last week, and there was at least some concern that Fangio, who became a free agent Tuesday, would seek work elsewhere. Nagy and Pace were measured in their remarks at Tuesday’s introductory news conference, but by the end of that night, signs were pointing toward a return.

Fangio returned from the West Coast early Wednesday and was in discussions with the team that day. The sides continued to talk, and an agreement was reached Friday, giving the Bears a full set of coordinators after Nagy previously hired Mark Helfrich for offense and Chris Tabor for special teams.

The NFC North rival Packers and the Ravens were the most prominent options for Fangio, and both filled their defensive coordinator positions by Tuesday night. By no means did that close off all options for Fangio. He had been connected with Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and was viewed as a possibility to pair with him in the event Shurmur gets a head-coaching job. Four teams are still looking to hire head coaches and staffs, and Shurmur has been rumored to have a good chance with the Cardinals.

But the Bears presented a chance for Fangio to continue building what he has worked on the last three years. The defense finished this season ranked seventh against the pass, ninth in points allowed, 10th in total defense, 11th against the run and tied for 13th with 22 takeaways. It accomplished that while losing six starters or key contributors to injured reserve: outside linebackers Leonard Floyd, Willie Young and Pernell McPhee, inside linebacker Jerrell Freeman, safety Quintin Demps and defensive end Mitch Unrein.

Hiring a veteran defensive coordinator was paramount for Nagy, a first-time head coach who will be directing the offense. Fangio knows the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel, and that will be an aid in tweaking the roster this offseason. This situation offers Fangio more autonomy running the defense than he had under John Fox.

With Fangio coming back, it’s likely the Bears will consider retaining multiple position coaches on that side of the ball, with Nagy having the final say. The Bears have made considerable progress building Nagy’s staff, taking advantage of the head start they got on other teams seeking a new coach.

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm 

He still won't be able to solve the Packers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Should've hired Eli Manning as DC.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm 

I'll admit I was wrong...I wonder what the Bears had to cough up money-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Should've hired Eli Manning as DC.

Or her