All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fangio is back
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Per PFR

Pro Football Rumors
‏ @pfrumors
18m18 minutes ago

Bears Expected To Retain DC Vic Fangio https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/ ... vic-fangio

January 9th, 2018 at 8:54pm CST by Dallas Robinson

The Bears are now expected to retain defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to serve under new head coach Matt Nagy, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link).Vic Fangio (vertical)

Chicago had reportedly to preferred to keep the 59-year-old Fangio (who is 20 years Nagy’s senior) in the fold, but Fangio — who also interviewed for the Bears’ head coaching position earlier this month — drew interest from several clubs around the league. The Bears put on a “full court press” to retain Fangio, tweets Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel, hinting that Green Bay’s decision to hire Mike Pettine may have been a result of Fangio’s reported $2MM price tag.

If he does indeed return to the Bears, Fangio will once again lead a defensive unit that ranked just 24th in points allowed but 14th in defensive DVOA, an indication the club was better on a play-by-play basis than overall. Defenders such as defensive lineman Akiem Hicks, cornerback Kyle Fuller, and safety Adrian Amos posted excellent seasons under Fangio’s leadership, and Chicago could use some its $42MM in cap space and/or the eighth overall selection to bolster the defensive personnel even further.

As PFR’s 2018 NFL Coordinator Tracker indicates, every team that had a defensive coordinator vacancy at the conclusion of the regular season has now either retained its incumbent DC or hired an external candidate.

Last edited by '77Cubs on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Fangio is back
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Great move! This says a lot about what he thinks of (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky too.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I just hope that Pace and Nagy don't focus so much on offense that Fangio is left with shit to work with. Let's be honest, the best players on this team are currently on defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I approve.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Pettine > Fangio

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

You couldn't believe that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
This could be dangerous. If the defense plays well and the offense scuffles you could end up with a divided locker room. The defensive players already know him, trust him and like him. They are going to gravitate to him and be wary of Nagy. It could work out fine but it could also work out terribly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Like I said in the other thread, I prefer Fangio. MANY indeed are saying it though from what I’m reading on twitter and Reddit. Not GB fans, just fans of other teams giving their input.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Green Bay has a shit defense and you have to live in fuckin' Green Bay. That's why Fangio picked the Bears.

Green Bay will say Pettine was their first choice but it's a lie. Fangio turned them down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I'll only get on board if Nagy's first move is to cut Noah Jackson.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
This could be dangerous. If the defense plays well and the offense scuffles you could end up with a divided locker room. The defensive players already know him, trust him and like him. They are going to gravitate to him and be wary of Nagy. It could work out fine but it could also work out terribly.

This is just like when Papa Bear hired Ditka but made him keep Buddy. Divided, yes, but this pretty much guarantees a Super Bowl victory within 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:

This is just like when Papa Bear hired Ditka but made him keep Buddy. Divided, yes, but this pretty much guarantees a Super Bowl victory within 3 years.

Yup, that’s what my guy says too. The BRick Apology Tour will be wonderful.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Like I said in the other thread, I prefer Fangio. MANY indeed are saying it though from what I’m reading on twitter and Reddit. Not GB fans, just fans of other teams giving their input.

Before taking the Browns job, Pettine was the defensive coordinator for Rex Ryan with the New York Jets from 2009-2012 and for Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills in 2013. His defenses’ DVOA from those five seasons in order were: 1st, 5th, 2nd, 9th and 4th.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Plus all of GBs money is on their offense. So they can't improve their defense. They're paying Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb and Adams big money. Those 4 have to be at least 40% of their cap. And they're gonna have to pay Rodgers more after next year cuz he's a free agent.

So they can only improve the defense through the draft. And they've sucked at drafting the last 2 or 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Plus all of GBs money is on their offense. So they can't improve their defense. They're paying Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb and Adams big money. Those 4 have to be at least 40% of their cap. And they're gonna have to pay Rodgers more after next year cuz he's a free agent.

So they can only improve the defense through the draft. And they've sucked at drafting the last 2 or 3 years.

Packers always keep a lot of cap space open. They have money to spend. Nelson and Cobb are also free agents after this upcoming season. GB is in great shape going forward in terms of flexibility to improve it's team.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
They won't keep both Cobb and Jordy at those salaries. Clay will also be cut or restructured. No cap hit and 14.5 off the books if they axe him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:37 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

Before taking the Browns job, Pettine was the defensive coordinator for Rex Ryan with the New York Jets from 2009-2012 and for Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills in 2013. His defenses’ DVOA from those five seasons in order were: 1st, 5th, 2nd, 9th and 4th.

SOLID. Wouldn't you agree, Don and Nas?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Hub. It helps to have an experienced DC with a younger HC/Offensive Playcaller. They need to change the culture, but it is nice to not totally uproot everything. I think you probably will have a Ditka/Ryan situation where each person heads their own side of the fence and concentrates on what they do best. And to earlier comments, the strength of this team is certainly the defense (when healthy) and the RBs. We just need more depth on D (and possibly more reliable CBs), and then some WRs and OLs and should be ready to kick butt in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Pettine > Fangio

Said nobody ever.

SOLID. Wouldn't you agree, Don and Nas?

Fangio had top 5 defenses in SF for 3 or 4 years. When he got here we were last for 2 straight years. He cleaned it up to get to 10th this year. He did that without a pro bowl player. (Granted, Nicks deserved to go)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Packers always keep a lot of cap space open. They have money to spend. Nelson and Cobb are also free agents after this upcoming season. GB is in great shape going forward in terms of flexibility to improve it's team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut Cobb and rework Nelson’s contract. Also, (presuming good health) their defense should be in decent shape next season. Their d-line can be very good (Daniels and Clarke in particular) and the secondary is better than they are given credit for. The linebackers are very thin but that’s an area which is easy to fill through FA (that’s a glaring area that Thompson ignored)

Edit: What UMN said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Fangio had top 5 defenses in SF for 3 or 4 years. When he got here we were last for 2 straight years. He cleaned it up to get to 10th this year. He did that without a pro bowl player. (Granted, Nicks deserved to go)

14th this year

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 am 

This is a mistake. This will undermine the head coach. He needs his own guy in here. Fangio is good but I hate the head coach of the defense thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I'll only get on board if Nagy's first move is to cut Noah Jackson.

:lol: I loved ole Noah and Revie pulling around the end.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Will Never Happen. :lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 am 

newper wrote:
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Hub. It helps to have an experienced DC with a younger HC/Offensive Playcaller. They need to change the culture, but it is nice to not totally uproot everything. I think you probably will have a Ditka/Ryan situation where each person heads their own side of the fence and concentrates on what they do best. And to earlier comments, the strength of this team is certainly the defense (when healthy) and the RBs. We just need more depth on D (and possibly more reliable CBs), and then some WRs and OLs and should be ready to kick butt in a couple of years.

We just have to hope that Nagy and Fangio aren't the jerks Ditka and Ryan were.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 am 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

I'll apologize to anyone who had an opinion on the hire so no you won't get one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

I'll apologize to anyone who had an opinion on the hire so no you won't get one.

I had an opinion. I like it. I just didn't discuss it with you. Sorry.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am 
100000 CLUB

Fangio doesn't strike me as a power hungry guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:25 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

I had an opinion. I like it. I just didn't discuss it with you. Sorry.

Thanks for apologizing.