It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mark Helfrich New OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
To be clear, I think we need to necessarily be talking about NFL resumes here. So you think that someone who has literally never been employed by an NFL team has a better NFL resume than a successful offensive coordinator?

I would say college experience has very little relevance to the NFL. There have been countless Sabans, Petrinos, and Spurriers that reinforce this.

By that line of logic, then this is a terrible hire. Helfrich has 0 NFL experience as a player or coach. How can someone so unqualified get a job like this?

I don't think it's a good hire, but as usual you need to be on one extreme or the other. There's probably a middle ground between "He's unqualified for the job." and "He has a better resume than the head coach." Both are ridiculous statements.

But yeah, I don't think much of the hire. I don't trust college coaches transitioning to the NFL. It rarely works. Nagy should have the most influence on the offense either way though, so maybe it won't be a disaster.

I'm not being extreme. It's extreme to think that college experience doesn't mean much of anything when you go to the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
To be clear, I think we need to necessarily be talking about NFL resumes here. So you think that someone who has literally never been employed by an NFL team has a better NFL resume than a successful offensive coordinator?

I would say college experience has very little relevance to the NFL. There have been countless Sabans, Petrinos, and Spurriers that reinforce this.

By that line of logic, then this is a terrible hire. Helfrich has 0 NFL experience as a player or coach. How can someone so unqualified get a job like this?

I don't think it's a good hire, but as usual you need to be on one extreme or the other. There's probably a middle ground between "He's unqualified for the job." and "He has a better resume than the head coach." Both are ridiculous statements.

But yeah, I don't think much of the hire. I don't trust college coaches transitioning to the NFL. It rarely works. Nagy should have the most influence on the offense either way though, so maybe it won't be a disaster.

We'll see.

I think Philbin was a great hire by the Pack.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not being extreme. It's extreme to think that college experience doesn't mean much of anything when you go to the NFL.

You have an odd definition of extreme.

I’m just taking a couple decades of data and suggesting a correlation.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I could say the same thing about offensive coaches with 6 games of playcalling experience and suggest a correlation too but you thought I was wrong to even bring it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I could say the same thing about offensive coaches with 6 games of playcalling experience and suggest a correlation too but you thought I was wrong to even bring it up.

Go ahead and try. I don't think you can.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, you picked a few notable examples of failures from college to NFL. I can name plenty of successful NFL coaches who had extensive college experience too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, you picked a few notable examples of failures from college to NFL. I can name plenty of successful NFL coaches who had extensive college experience too.

I don’t think you want to get into a contest of naming failures vs successes, and then comparing that ratio to hiring someone with previous nfl experience.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I don’t think you want to get into a contest of naming failures vs successes, and then comparing that ratio to hiring someone with previous nfl experience.
Sure I do. Remember, the idea here is that coaches aren't likely to be successful as coordinators based on college experience. I've already found a lot of Super Bowl winning coaches who had a good amount of college experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Sure I do. Remember, the idea here is that coaches aren't likely to be successful as coordinators based on college experience. I've already found a lot of Super Bowl winning coaches who had a good amount of college experience.

Like being QB coach for Boise State? :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm 

Also, having a good amount of college experience would irrelevant if they also had prior NFL experience. You would need to be looking for coordinators with no prior NFL experience.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
pittmike wrote:
It is so weird that prior to this year as well as last nationally people thought the Bears' O line was a strength. Injuries can just screw you.

Their stregth was considered to be guard-center-guard.

1. Sitton is making $8M last year on the last year of his deal
2. Whitehair regressed last year, probably in part by the lack of continuity
3. Long is an injured disaster, and they can cut him after 2018 with a relatively small cap hit.

And the tackles have never been more than acceptable.

Drafting a LT would go a long way towards solidifying the line. So would drafting the guard from ND and letting him develop for a year while Sitton/Long share RG as they alternate injuries.

I'm all aboard the OL train. I wanted a WR at 8 until I saw the WR's drafted last year in round 1. Unless you are getting a consensus stud, don't do it. Get your WR's in free agency or in rounds 3 and 4.

Find this year's Ju-Ju.

He is the exception and was able to learn as a #3-4 going into the season.

The Bears need a WR to be #1ish from day 1 (not sure true #1 is there).

I think the best place to find their receiver is FA. I think the undervalued guy in FA is Donte Moncrief but I think they can afford him and a bigger name.

Also, I think they are going to be running this offense through the TE position. I expect a big jump for Shaheen. I also expect a big one from Daniel Brown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
Also, I think they are going to be running this offense through the TE position. I expect a big jump for Shaheen. I also expect a big one from Daniel Brown.

There's a soph TE at Notre Dame named Cole Kmet who may be on the radar now that Hiestad is on staff -- obviously that's a long ways away...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:00 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Allen Robinson

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Like being QB coach for Boise State? :lol:
If that was all he had then it would be different.

FavreFan wrote:
Also, having a good amount of college experience would irrelevant if they also had prior NFL experience. You would need to be looking for coordinators with no prior NFL experience.
I'm fine with that. I won't count being a grad assistant or if they were just there for a year or so

Pete Carroll: 6 years as a coordinator before going to the NFL
John Harbaugh: 13 years as a coordinator before going to the NFL
Tom Coughlin: 9 years
Sean Payton: 6 years
Mike Tomlin: 4 years
Brian Billick: 10 years
Mike Shannahan: 8 years
Mike Holmgren: 4 years(with a bunch of high school years too)
Barry Switzer: 17 years(admittedly, he was handed the team)
George Seifert: 12 years
Jimmy Johnson: 21 years
Joe Gibbs: 8 years

That's a lot of Super Bowl coaches and it looks like it's well over half of the individual coaches who won a Super Bowl since Gibbs.

I'll stop there because the point I think is clear. One would assume that most of those people ended up good coordinators in the NFL after the college experience, which eventually got them to be the head coach and then win a title. Some went immediately to being a head coach like Jimmy Johnson, but that only helps my case as he should have been clueless coming from the mostly meaningless experience of college football.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

Oh, I didn't realize we were arguing two different things.

Yeah, Helfrich might eventually be good.

I wouldn't expect good things this year.

I thought it was clear we were talking about guys coming from college in their first job in the NFL. John harbaugh was a 10 year coach in the NFL prior to taking over the Ravens. He's basically the opposite of what I was talking about.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I thought it was clear we were talking about guys coming from college in their first job in the NFL. John harbaugh was a 10 year coach in the NFL prior to taking over the Ravens. He's basically the opposite of what I was talking about.
Harbaugh was likely a good coordinator which eventually got him the job.

I didn't say that Helfrich should have been the head coach, but I think his resume is better. Resume doesn't mean everything though as Fox proved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Harbaugh was likely a good coordinator which eventually got him the job.

I didn't say that Helfrich should have been the head coach, but I think his resume is better. Resume doesn't mean everything though as Fox proved.

Your last point is clearly true, but I still fail to see how his resume is better. It's not. It's longer and less successful.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Allen Robinson

and I doubt the Jags are going to tag him or make a big push to keep him with Hurns, Lee, and Westbrook developing. I'm not sure he is the type of burner that I think they are looking for but they MUST get that position up to a professional level.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Allen Robinson

and I doubt the Jags are going to tag him or make a big push to keep him with Hurns, Lee, and Westbrook developing. I'm not sure he is the type of burner that I think they are looking for but they MUST get that position up to a professional level.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Nagy wants. Obviously Landry is the better target if he's simply looking to replicate the KC offense. If he has his own plans in mind, I would think getting Robinson, and then Meredith back is a great start. If you can address OL in the 1st round and get a promising WR with speed in the 2nd/3rd/4th, I think you pretty much successfully overhauled your entire offense, depending on how well (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky can play next year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Your last point is clearly true, but I still fail to see how his resume is better. It's not. It's longer and less successful.

I wouldn't say less successful at least before he got the Bears head coaching job. I think most coordinators who don't even get to call plays would love to be the head coach at Oregon. Oregon fans are just insane from what Chip Kelly did there so he got fired for a bad year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I wouldn't say less successful at least before he got the Bears head coaching job. I think most coordinators who don't even get to call plays would love to be the head coach at Oregon. Oregon fans are just insane from what Chip Kelly did there so he got fired for a bad year.

But he failed as coach of Oregon. They slowly got worse with him and nosedived when he ran out of Kelly players. Nagy was successful as the Chiefs offensive coordinator. That's a big difference.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

But he failed as coach of Oregon. They slowly got worse with him and nosedived when he ran out of Kelly players. Nagy was successful as the Chiefs offensive coordinator. That's a big difference.

Kelly also put them on probation which hurt them. He did have one horrible year and that was all it took but there were two elite years and one really good year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm 

9-4 was not a really good year. It was their worst season in 8 years.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Well, Kelly was maybe the second best coach in the country and he was dealing with probation which hurts recruiting in many ways(as in, you can't cheat as much).

Most major programs would take a 9-4 season and consider it really good. Even Oregon would outside of the Chip Kelly years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Well, Kelly was maybe the second best coach in the country and he was dealing with probation which hurts recruiting in many ways(as in, you can't cheat as much).

Most major programs would take a 9-4 season and consider it really good. Even Oregon would outside of the Chip Kelly years.

Oregon wasn't an elite program before Kelly. He took an elite program and returned them to ordinary. I don't know how that can be viewed as anything other than a failed tenure.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

Kelly put them on probation. When a program is put on probation it almost always has a decline especially if you think that there was a reason they got so good and they can't do quite as much of that.

If it's a failure to not be Chip Kelly as a college coach then pretty much every current coach is a failure besides Saban and Jimbo Fisher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kelly put them on probation. When a program is put on probation it almost always has a decline especially if you think that there was a reason they got so good and they can't do quite as much of that.

If it's a failure to not be Chip Kelly as a college coach then pretty much every current coach is a failure besides Saban and Jimbo Fisher.

It’s a failure to take a perennial 1 and 2 loss team and lose 12 games your last two seasons there. Regardless of suspensions or excuses.

But who knows, maybe he will be good!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Helfrich is a shitty recruiter and bad college tyrant. Luckily that won't matter as an NFL offensive coordinator.

I'd argue Urban Meyer and his gang of criminals have been just as impressive as Jimbo Fisher's too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It’s a failure to take a perennial 1 and 2 loss team and lose 12 games your last two seasons there. Regardless of suspensions or excuses.

But who knows, maybe he will be good!

I'm most cases that is happens when put on probation.

He had one bad year as I said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm 

Well if he’s good it’s because of my guy Nagy so I’m covered either way.

To rock my soul