It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Offseason
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
My entire life the Bears never seemed to have really understood what they were doing. I have actually never witnessed them make a savvy trade or take advantage of RFA schemes as far back as I can remember. HONESTLY, I cannot think of one instance from Angelo, Emery or Pace where this has happened. I've seen them bounce this situations off their foot about a thousand times, but never the inverse.

I just get the feeling a lot of the time that, for the Bears, the GM position is really code for head scout. He runs a team that is supposed to come back and say what players they like at different positions and then leave it up to a separate team to work out the particulars in acquiring that talent. Oh, and also take all the blame when this shit goes south.

There is such a pattern to the way the Bears have operated over the past two decades that it hardly feels like anyone new has stepped in and run the show. The Trestman fiasco even just feels like some loon broke into the cockpit for a few seconds and pushed the yoke all the way forward. Emery really did not operate any differently than Angelo or Pace did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
America, I don't completely disagree. They have a knack for 'smartest guy in the room' type decisions, especially in the draft. And it does feel at times like it's the same person making the same dumb calls over and over even tho the names and faces have changed.

Maybe they never really got rid of Angelo lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
good dolphin wrote:
I think people have a romanticized view of what Alshon Jeffery is and has been for the last three seasons

And none of it matters because he didn't want to play here anyway.

My beef, is that they didn't put in a legit effort at the time to replace him leaving (yes, he is talented and was the best WR on the team). So at least try and do something. It's not like they didn't know it was going to happen.

But I do find it amusing when people bring him up constantly like Pace just cut him or something. Alshon just didn't want to play here, pretty cut and dry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
NME wrote:
America, I don't completely disagree. They have a knack for 'smartest guy in the room' type decisions, especially in the draft. And it does feel at times like it's the same person making the same dumb calls over and over even tho the names and faces have changed.

Maybe they never really got rid of Angelo lol

As a Packer fan I can tell you your feelings are pretty much the norm for a professional sports team. Despite relative success we generally hated Ted Thompson. A bit of luck at the QB position covers a lot of sins. If Mitchell is a stud then Pace is here for the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
NME wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I think people have a romanticized view of what Alshon Jeffery is and has been for the last three seasons

My beef, is that they didn't put in a legit effort at the time to replace him leaving (yes, he is talented and was the best WR on the team). So at least try and do something. It's not like they didn't know it was going to happen.

But I do find it amusing when people bring him up constantly like Pace just cut him or something. Alshon just didn't want to play here, pretty cut and dry.

I have never seen it said by anyone but Bernsie that Alshon did not want to play here. Could be true just never seen another source.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
NME wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I have never seen it said by anyone but Bernsie that Alshon did not want to play here. Could be true just never seen another source.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Bears signed WR Marlon Brown. 6'5" 214 lb. Had a great rookie year in Baltimore but failed to take the next step afterward.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
GO BEARS!

Ryan Pace ranked 26th —last among GMs with experience

This offseason has been full of promise for Pace, but it's too early to grade the acquisitions intended to make the Matt Nagy era fly. Pace inherited a difficult situation in 2015, but there's no avoiding that his first big hire (coach John Fox, fired in January), free-agent signing ( Pernell McPhee, released in February) and draft pick ( Kevin White, who has played in five games since being picked seventh overall in 2015) are reflected in the team's 14-34 record since Pace arrived. There have been hits like free-agent signing Akiem Hicks and the team's talented, low-cost backfield, but Pace's rough 2017 free-agent crop ( Mike Glennon, Markus Wheaton, Dion Sims) included a lot of wasted money. Now that Pace has been given a rare second life, there's reason to believe he's found new purpose with Nagy, and that the widely derided trade up (from third overall to second last year) to draft QB Mitchell (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky can pay off.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... among-best

In a poll of 25 NFL agents, Bears listed as fourth-worst prepared team when it comes to contract negotiations

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Interesting that Elway is one of the least respected but one of the most prepared. The only thing shocking about the Bears spot on the least-prepared list was that they weren't #2 to the Browns (who also somehow aren't #1).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 am 

SirTinkleButton wrote:
In a poll of 25 NFL agents, Bears listed as fourth-worst prepared team when it comes to contract negotiations

[]

isn't that Sweaty Teddy's purview?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
America wrote:
Interesting that Elway is one of the least respected but one of the most prepared. The only thing shocking about the Bears spot on the least-prepared list was that they weren't #2 to the Browns (who also somehow aren't #1).

Poll was for GMs with experience at the post. Browns just hired a new GM a month or two ago, so they were spared (I believe).

good dolphin wrote:
SirTinkleButton wrote:

[]

isn't that Sweaty Teddy's purview?

I want to say yes, but it kind of is "small picture" for Phillips' eye, I'd think.

Cliff Stein is still in the building as "Senior Counsel," and I'm imagining this as semi-retired Don Corleone shuffling around the office, encouraging people talk to Michael. Michael in this instance played by Joey Laine, who's one of Pace's guys from New Orleans who took over Stein's role 3 years ago.

Cliff's current role is mostly working with Pace, I guess, and doing a bunch of vaguely defined things as described in his bio page:

Quote:
Stein is the team’s lead contract negotiator for all player contracts and assists the general manager in the management and strategic planning of the club’s salary cap. He also assists the general manager in the handling of all legal issues in the football operations department and oversees the team’s security and safety services. He serves as the liaison between the National Football League Management Council and the club on all CBA / salary cap compliance issues and other legal matters. In addition, Stein serves as the club’s general counsel on all general legal matters and liaison to outside counsel. In 2005, Stein was admitted by the Supreme Court of Illinois to practice law as House Counsel pursuant to Rule 716.

As far as they say, it's Laine who handles the meat of the contract negotiations, so if anything this article is damning of him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 am 

America wrote:

Trust is more important than respect. Who cares about the respect of that pit of vipers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21