It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Offseason
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Sounds like Ridley is having bad workouts so he won't be an option at 8. Have to address WR, in FA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
There is almost no way they come out of this offseason without Allen Robinson and call it a success. He is exactly the type of player they need and they have the money to blow everyone else out of the water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
America wrote:
There is almost no way they come out of this offseason without Allen Robinson and call it a success. He is exactly the type of player they need and they have the money to blow everyone else out of the water.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:28 pm 

Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Transition tag for Fuller.

Bad move

I can't agree. It let's the league set the market for him. He's not going anywhere unless they don't want him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Bad move

I can't agree. It let's the league set the market for him. He's not going anywhere unless they don't want him.

I wouldn't want to pay him $13M. He's not good. That's why other teams target him. He's also a quitter. He had an okay contract year. Let someone else have the headache.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Bad move

I wouldn't want to pay him $13M. He's not good. That's why other teams target him. He's also a quitter. He had an okay contract year. Let someone else have the headache.

This. Plus he already wanted out, so now you force him to stay one more year. That only makes sense if you think you’ll be good next year. Not likely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Bad move

I agree with you on not being sold on him and that his year wasn't as incredible as everyone portrays it. 13M for one year is fine. Keeps him on that leash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I would let Fuller go and sign 3 FA CB's at 4 mill a piece.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
jimmypasta wrote:
I would let Fuller go and sign 3 FA CB's at 4 mill a piece.

You have like $80 mill to spend. I am not saying to waste it, but he is an asset. I would not want an Alshon Jeffery 2.0 to happen again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Bad move

I agree with you on not being sold on him and that his year wasn't as incredible as everyone portrays it. 13M for one year is fine. Keeps him on that leash.

You can find a Fuller on the trash heap. Tying up $13M for him seems counterproductive. This is an off-season that the Bears can make significant progress and possibly win the division next year. Just think a couple million more gets you Trumaine Johnson.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Bears need at least one safety, at least one corner, at least two linebackers, and at least one lineman. They have MANY holes to fill on offense as well, with only a finite amount of draft picks. Once the new league year starts, and the Glennons and Willie Youngs get cut, the Bears will have the smallest roster in the NFL.

This is not an idea situation with Fuller, but at some point you have to start adding guys to your roster. Cap space is great, but that doesn't help score points or make tackles.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
America wrote:

Sure they can -if they sign someone like Watkins.

I don't have an issue with them trying to retain Fuller either. Last year proved he can at least play in the league when he's healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Bears need at least one safety, at least one corner, at least two linebackers, and at least one lineman. They have MANY holes to fill on offense as well, with only a finite amount of draft picks. Once the new league year starts, and the Glennons and Willie Youngs get cut, the Bears will have the smallest roster in the NFL.

This is not an idea situation with Fuller, but at some point you have to start adding guys to your roster. Cap space is great, but that doesn't help score points or make tackles.

Zach Fulton is basically a Bear, so they are working on the OL already.

I can work with Amos/Jackson at safety if they get themselves a corner who can really play.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm 

America wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Zach Fulton is basically a Bear, so they are working on the OL already.

I can work with Amos/Jackson at safety if they get themselves a corner who can really play.

I don't know that much about Zach Fulton. Here is PFT top 100 FA list. 4 centers appear on it but not Fulton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/06/pfts-free-agent-top-100/

There are a ton of good cornerbacks available. That might end up being the brilliance of the franchise tag if the market depresses Fullers value. He gets a reasonable contract offer and the Bears match it. I have a feeling even he doesn't believe in himself enough to play on a one year deal when a good multi year is available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Bad move

You can find a Fuller on the trash heap. Tying up $13M for him seems counterproductive. This is an off-season that the Bears can make significant progress and possibly win the division next year. Just think a couple million more gets you Trumaine Johnson.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:13 am 

I'm bouncing back and forth to determine MY GUY post Combine. I am assuming Barkly, Fitzpatrick and Chubb are gone and the other four spots are filled by QBs.

The current guys I'm thinking are:

Denzel Ward, CB, OSU- rehash the entire conversation from last year when we were talking about Lattimore and Hooker, except now the Bears are picking at a position where the top CB or S is acceptable. He grades out better than Lattimore and Hooker and I loved those guys. Both had good-great NFL seasons before injury. While his measurables grade out better I didn't see him as better in on field production. Still, there are many OSU observers who think he was better. Elite speed at the Combine (4.32) and in measuring up at 5'11" I'm now comfortable with his height. Drafting him means you have a young DB of great coverage guys most likely locked in for the next 3+ years. This could really develop into an elite unit of Ward, Fuller, Jackson and Amos.

Trumaine Edmunds, LB, VT- top measureables in terms of speed/and power and elite in terms of size (long arms on an already tall guy). He is only 19 so he may still grown. Can he play OLB and rush the passer. His dimensions say yes. Haven't really seen that aspect in college where he played MLB. If he cannot be a pass rushing OLB, I still think he could be a great ILB but that drops his value. As I've said before, he has Pace pick written all over him.

Marcus Davenport, DE/OLB, UTSA- a true pass rusher with 38 sacks in 4 years but obviously against inferior opponents. Bigger than Edmunds and just slightly slower but that allows him to be able to play both in a 2 and 3 point stance for the Bear. His PR skills are not refined and maybe he won't be able to step up in class. He had a very good Combine but you aren't hearing the raves about him you did before the senior bowls. This tells me GMs are shutting up hoping people pass on him. I could see this being a Pace pick as well.

I just don't see an offensive player I want at 8. Certainly there is no WR/TE worthy of the pick. They are not going QB. I do think either Nelson or Fitzpatrick will be there. While I would jump at Fitzpatrick and put him at CB, I'm going to pass on Nelson. I just see too many competent guards available every year to jump at one who may be spectacular. Anyway MY plan would be to move Whitehair to OG and either sign a FA or draft a C (would be nice if Billy Price fell to the 2nd).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
good dolphin wrote:
I'm bouncing back and forth to determine MY GUY post Combine. I am assuming Barkly, Fitzpatrick and Chubb are gone and the other four spots are filled by QBs.

The current guys I'm thinking are:

Denzel Ward, CB, OSU- rehash the entire conversation from last year when we were talking about Lattimore and Hooker, except now the Bears are picking at a position where the top CB or S is acceptable. He grades out better than Lattimore and Hooker and I loved those guys. Both had good-great NFL seasons before injury. While his measurables grade out better I didn't see him as better in on field production. Still, there are many OSU observers who think he was better. Elite speed at the Combine (4.32) and in measuring up at 5'11" I'm now comfortable with his height. Drafting him means you have a young DB of great coverage guys most likely locked in for the next 3+ years. This could really develop into an elite unit of Ward, Fuller, Jackson and Amos.

Trumaine Edmunds, LB, VT- top measureables in terms of speed/and power and elite in terms of size (long arms on an already tall guy). He is only 19 so he may still grown. Can he play OLB and rush the passer. His dimensions say yes. Haven't really seen that aspect in college where he played MLB. If he cannot be a pass rushing OLB, I still think he could be a great ILB but that drops his value. As I've said before, he has Pace pick written all over him.

Marcus Davenport, DE/OLB, UTSA- a true pass rusher with 38 sacks in 4 years but obviously against inferior opponents. Bigger than Edmunds and just slightly slower but that allows him to be able to play both in a 2 and 3 point stance for the Bear. His PR skills are not refined and maybe he won't be able to step up in class. He had a very good Combine but you aren't hearing the raves about him you did before the senior bowls. This tells me GMs are shutting up hoping people pass on him. I could see this being a Pace pick as well.

I just don't see an offensive player I want at 8. Certainly there is no WR/TE worthy of the pick. They are not going QB. I do think either Nelson or Fitzpatrick will be there. While I would jump at Fitzpatrick and put him at CB, I'm going to pass on Nelson. I just see too many competent guards available every year to jump at one who may be spectacular. Anyway MY plan would be to move Whitehair to OG and either sign a FA or draft a C (would be nice if Billy Price fell to the 2nd).

I'm going with Nelson; young QB in Mitch who showed signs of seeing ghosts when in the pocket needs protection. Nelson would help slow the middle pressure and I've seen mentions that he could move to tackle.

Ward sounds good; also bring in a 2/3 CB in free agency since 3 CBs are needed in today's passing-centric offenses.

Davenport and Edmunds are intriguing prospects because of their pass rush potential, but I would trade down to pick one of them if available. The Leonard Floyd pick is still up in the air because of injury and his lack of strength.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 am 

I kind of expected dolphin to be a Nelson guy.

Weren't you high on Decastro a few years back and Nelson is supposed to be better

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 pm 

I believe we were in the bottom 1/3 of the draft that year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:19 pm 

I like Edmunds but dislike the potential 'project' angle there. Same goes for Davenport.

Dolphin -I disagree with saying there isn't a WR worth the 8th pick. Ridley is the guy for that imo -great size/speed/strength combo. Played at the highest level of college football and knows the entire route tree already because he played everywhere for Bama. And unlike picking White with your #1 in Paces 1st go with the draft, you'd actually be making the call on a wide out with the 1st pick at the right moment this time; after you went and got your potential franchise QB.

Ridley is actually a safe pick imo, and I think it'd be the right pick for the Bears too. They have to land guys that can be plugged in right away and play, no more projects, or drafting guards really high because maybe they'd be a great LT some day. It's a rebuild, and it's going into its 4th season. Go out and get guys that can play right damn now at their projected position.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am 

Ridley certainly wouldn't be a maximization of the value of that 8 pick. I saw a mock of them trading down to the Cardinals and drafting at 15. Maybe at that spot. Even better would be trading down to the Bills and getting him in the low 20s.

I'm not really all the sold on Ridley anyway. He is tall but skinny and doesn't have blazing speed. I think he will get pushed around in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am 

Nah, his value is fine at #8 -even better if you can land him later than that of course. He's a 'safe' type of pick there, granted, I don't think he'll be the next Julio Jones or Randy Moss but in terms of ready to go-ness and fit, I think he makes a lot of sense there for the Bears.

And I know it's just college but.. he didn't get pushed around in the SEC so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea he'll struggle to adjust to the physicality of the NFL. Of all his portential flaws, I don't see that one at all.

Value changes a bit depending on how talented the draft class is, and this is an oddly almost flatly talented draft in the 1st round imo. There aren't too many 'can't miss' guys, and considering that I don't see the Bears passing on someone at another position at 8 in drafting Ridley that makes it a bad move. This also comes down to timing imo, and the timing is right to go get a WR high in the draft for the Bears right now.

It would be a good move if the Bears made it imo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm 

Are the Bears really gonna sign Richard Sherman?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
America wrote:

No. He wants to play for the Patriots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

Big Chicagoan wrote:
America wrote:

That achilles injury probably killed his career.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Would be very interested in giving donte moncrief a shot. showed promise with Luck at QB, still only 24...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
billypootons wrote:
Would be very interested in giving donte moncrief a shot. showed promise with Luck at QB, still only 24...

Same here. Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:22 pm 

billypootons wrote:

He is a guy I'd be interested in looking at as well. However, it seem that Albert Wilson is a foregone conclusion and I think they need to make Robinson a day 1 of FA priority. That doesn't leave any room for any other FA with:

Wilson
Robinson
Meredith
White
Wheaton

Maybe there is room for one more guy but a sixth WR is usually a ST ace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
billypootons wrote:

He is a guy I'd be interested in looking at as well. However, it seem that Albert Wilson is a foregone conclusion and I think they need to make Robinson a day 1 of FA priority. That doesn't leave any room for any other FA with:

Wilson
Robinson
Meredith
White
Wheaton

Maybe there is room for one more guy but a sixth WR is usually a ST ace.

Wheaton might be cut.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm 

Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
America wrote:

That achilles injury probably killed his career.

Move him to safety; worked for Rod Woodson and others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next