It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bears 2021 Draft Grades
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Chad Reuter from NFL.com really liked the Bears draft...

Quote:
Chicago Bears
Draft picks

Ohio State QB Justin Fields (No. 11 overall)
Oklahoma State OT Teven Jenkins (No. 39)
Missouri OT Larry Borom (No. 151)
Virginia Tech RB Khalil Herbert (No. 217)
North Carolina WR Dazz Newsome (No. 221)
Oregon CB Thomas Graham Jr. (No. 228)
BYU DT Khyiris Tonga (No. 250)

Day 1 grade: A+

Day 2 grade: A

Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: The Bears have needed a playmaking quarterback for decades. Trading up to land Fields was well worth the price. Upgrading the offensive line was also a priority, so trading up for a player of Jenkins’ caliber at a reasonable price made sense.

Borom was a solid selection in the fifth round because of his pure power coming off the ball. He could work his way into a contributing role. Herbert will make plays as a rusher and receiver for the Bears as a rookie. Newsome is a solid late-round receiver who brings toughness and elusiveness rather than pure speed. Graham could be a good third or fourth corner in 2021. When Tonga plays low, his width and foot quickness make him a tough ask for offensive linemen.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:15 am 
1000 CLUB

PFF is even more enthusiastic about the Bears draft than Reuter is...

Quote:
CHICAGO BEARS

Day 1: The Bears underwhelmed when they settled for Andy Dalton earlier in the offseason, but they redressed the situation with an aggressive move for Justin Fields, the No. 3 player on PFF’s Big Board. Fields has special talent and back-to-back seasons with a 91.0-plus PFF grade. His ceiling is as high as any passer in this draft, and he’s a real threat in the run game.

Day 2: Buried in the celebrations of Chicago selecting quarterback Justin Fields was the state of the team’s offensive line on paper, but the Bears are making a major move to address that with a trade-up for Teven Jenkins. One of the best run blockers in the draft, Jenkins also pass-blocked well but had an extremely limited number of true pass-blocking plays to judge from.

Day 3: Thomas Graham Jr. opted out of the 2020 season, but it is still surprising to see him drop this far, given that he has three seasons of quality play as a starter on tape. He earned 80.0-plus PFF grades in each of the 2018 and 2019 seasons for Oregon and has a versatile, scheme-diverse skill set.

Draft Grade: A+

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Vinnie Iyer of Sporting News says the Bears draft ranks #4 overall....

Quote:
4. Chicago Bears
Grade: A
Draft picks: Ohio State QB Justin Fields, Oklahoma State OT Teven Jenkins, Missouri OT Larry Borom, Virginia Tech RB Khalil Herbert, North Carolina WR Dazz Newsome, Oregon CB Thomas Graham Jr., BYU DT Khyiris Tonga

The trade up for Fields was a shrewd move for pressured GM Ryan Pace, without giving up the farm. He is the special dual threat who can help solve QB for Chicago in the right way for a long time. They also landed a first-round pedigreed starting right tackle in Jenkins and the big-time slot receiver upgrade in Newsome, an absolute late-round steal.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:35 am 
1000 CLUB

Some Guy named Connor Orr from SI is also high on the Bears draft...

Quote:
Chicago Bears

There is a loud segment of the Bears fanbase that was wary about Ryan Pace making yet another franchise altering decision, and certainly the argument can be made that selecting Justin Fields is nothing more than the desperate flailing of someone trying to punch their way out of the scrap heap. I would argue the opposite. Pace drafted the polar opposite of Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and, hopefully, refined his personal process during that time. Some of the league’s best general managers have made horrific drafting mistakes and went on to have successful careers. Playing the board like they did and landing Justin Fields, who could end up being the second-most talented player in this class, may be a springboard into a fine second act for the GM.

While Chicago finds themselves backed against the wall equity-wise for a deeper draft in 2022, they hoarded offensive line talent from the 2021 draft’s remaining strength and will turn over two outsized tackles to Juan Castillo.

The Bears, who have made the playoffs twice during the Matt Nagy era while limping offensively, now have a transformed offense with a mobility component at the quarterback position that can transform even a middling weapon set.

GRADE: A-

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
That's good because I was in a pretty sour mood after reading another Rozner Bears hit piece.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
denisdman wrote:
That's good because I was in a pretty sour mood after reading another Rozner Bears hit piece.

What did he say?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
It was a really good draft, and could be Pace’s best draft.

Pretty low bar, but he had some really nice value picks throughout.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

What did he say?

Correctly, that a mannequin could have won as many playoff games as Ryan Pace.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Like every year, no one really knows but I'm happy with what Pace/Nagy did.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:28 am 
1000 CLUB

Something called the Pro Football Network also likes the Bears draft...

Quote:
Chicago Bears grades for 2021 NFL Draft
Fields is my QB2, and he’s an unbelievably talented player overall.

Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
He was the most accurate passer in the 2021 draft class and has an NFL-ready frame at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds. Oh, and he runs like the wind. His physicality and toughness fit Chicago perfectly, and he has incredible upside.

He battled with Trevor Lawrence throughout their time in high school as the top overall recruit in the class. However, for some reason throughout the draft cycle, his stock took a hit, despite outplaying Lawrence twice in playoff opportunities during his college career.

Grade: A+

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
The Bears doing whatever they can to secure some security for their franchise quarterback was important. They needed to improve the offensive line drastically. Teven Jenkins is a first-round caliber prospect who brings an attitude unmatched in any offensive tackle in the 2021 class.

Grade: A+

Larry Borom, OT, Missouri
Larry Borom is a massive offensive tackle with unbelievable people-moving skills. His anchor is outstanding in pass protection, but his footwork is a bit clunky.

Grade: C

Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech
Khalil Herbert burst onto the scene in 2020 after transferring from Kansas, and he played incredibly well in his one season with the Hokies. He needs to prove to be a consistent receiver at the next level to see the field consistently, but as a runner, he really shined in 2020. He could have gone two rounds earlier and no one would have batted an eye.

Grade: B+

Dazz Newsome, WR, UNC
Dazz Newsome in the sixth round is an outstanding value for the Chicago Bears. Newsome has a strong lower body who is a good ball carrier with good vision. He could compete for a starting role in the slot and adds value as a potential punt returner.

Grade: B+

Thomas Graham Jr., CB, Oregon
The Bears grab some great value again in cornerback Thomas Graham Jr. He plays aware football and has more than enough athleticism to get the job done at the next level.

Grade: A-

Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU
Khyiris Tonga is a high-upside explosive nose tackle that could make a high impact on a defensive line if he can find a bit more guidance and hone in some of his overaggressive nature. If he works to play lower and more technically, he has starter potential.

Grade: A

Chicago Bears Overall Grade: A+
The Bears did two things in this draft that were absolutely necessary in order to provide hope for the future. They needed to attack in order to get a quarterback. Furthermore, they needed to try their best to protect him. They ended up with Justin Fields, who is an immensely talented quarterback, and Teven Jenkins to protect him. Then, they added to their team after Day 2 with great value picks.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Only this coaching staff and management could fuck this up.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:38 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Only this coaching staff and management could fuck this up.

I'm trying to not even think about that.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Get used to Pace/Nagy because they have bought themselves the 2-3 year, "potential franchise QB development" period, and if all the noise about Rodgers is true it won't take much to win the division.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Get used to Pace/Nagy because they have bought themselves the 2-3 year, "potential franchise QB development" period, and if all the noise about Rodgers is true it won't take much to win the division.

I don't think they were in any danger of losing their jobs.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:08 am 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:

Assuming your hypothesis is true about them "buying time", I think that they did so by making a couple of very good moves at the top of the draft. Do you disagree?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Hub Arkush was right! Long live Hub!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Assuming your hypothesis is true about them "buying time", I think that they did so by making a couple of very good moves at the top of the draft. Do you disagree?

Do not disagree with the moves, Fields is a much more proven prospect than Mitch, hopefully Pace has learned from his mistakes and actually hit on a franchise QB.

This is by far the most encouraging draft under Pace because he seems to have grasped that you need to build a competent Oline, also appears they will be more committed to running the ball, all good signs for protecting and developing a young QB.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: John's
The lowest draft grade any team got was a C

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:

It's just a Ryan Pace bitchfest. No commentary on the draft really.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 am 

Yup, zero draft coverage or analysis. He is just grinding old axes and worried about a mortgaged future.

If they did not get a QB, he would be complaining about that. Pace went after opportunity. There is no doubt this organization and Pace/Nagy are flawed. At least with Pace and Nagy they are both first timers in their respective jobs within a poor support system. It sucks that they have to learn while running "our" team. But right now, we have to hope these picks make a difference. If Fields is the QB for the next decade+, then Pace's draft record will look a heck of a lot better.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/thors-nfc-snap-draft-grades

Quote:
CHICAGO BEARS | SNAP GRADE: A+
Draft capital: 17 | Talent acquired: 8 | Value: 3

Pick Name Pos Rk Comp HT WT RAS
1.11 Justin Fields QB2 3 Deshaun Watson 6'3 227 ---
2.39 Teven Jenkins OT4 22 Joe Thuney 6'6 317 9.74
5.151 Larry Borom OT23 258 Chad Ward 6'5 322 8.66
6.217 Khalil Herbert RB7 114 Olandis Gary 5'9 210 6.18
6.221 Dazz Newsome WR45 336 Russell Gage 5'10 190 2.18
6.228 Thomas Graham Jr. CB20 165 Salvion Smith 5'10 192 5.65
7.250 Khyiris Tonga DL14 175 Danny Shelton 6'2 325 7.24
The trade-up for Justin Fields was a franchise-altering decision, yes. Also a life-changing one for members of the Ryan Pace-led Bears front office, who were heading into a Green Mile season, a 16-game walk towards their inevitable execution and a franchise restart in Chicago. Instead, the Bears, directionless and hopeless only three days ago, are now back in business with a stud young quarterback thanks to the NFL’s evaluation hubris. It cost next year’s first-rounder (and fourth) plus a fifth-rounder this year, juice worth the squeeze from a long-term value perspective if Fields even plateaus as a league-average starter (and if I’m right about Fields, it will be highway larceny). Another genius move came in Round 2 when the Bears dealt a third-round pick to move up for free-falling top-25 talent OT Teven Jenkins (Chicago also moved up 53 slots on Day 3 as part of pick-swap sweetener in trade). I’ll repeat what I said on our live post-draft show Thursday night after Round 1: Ryan Pace just saved tacked at least one more year onto his reign. More importantly: The Bears are relevant again.

No idea who this guy is. But he too loved the draft class. Also really dislikes the packer draft

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 am 

There was no way I was going to be excited coming out of this draft, and yet here I am- hopeful and ready for football season. I have been wearing Bears gear the last three days.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Not to steal midget’s thunder, but here’s a tweet that may negate his next 14 posts on this subject:

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

:lol:

Nice spreadsheet. I like to see the more detailed analyses, though, not just the grades themselves.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:03 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Nice spreadsheet. I like to see the more detailed analyses, though, not just the grades themselves.

Yes but you and I can actually read.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

If literacy demands I read Conor Orr then I’ll proudly embrace ignorance.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

If literacy demands I read Conor Orr then I’ll proudly embrace ignorance.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm 

So the experts basically give the Bears an A, and the local A hole Rozner, writes a column with his usual Bears hatred. What a dumb fuck.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
The Tonga pick is a fucking steal where they got him. I had to do a double take when I realized the Bears got him where they did. That’s a great value pick.

I’d put that right up there with the Eddie Jackson pick in terms of value. Tonga could easily be Goldman’s replacement if that’s what they’re looking to do.