It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Nas wrote:
He's in better condition than Roquan

Seems to me that Poles realized right away that Roquan was highly overrated and doubt he ever actually offered him anywhere near what the hapless crackpots in the "Bears Media" reported.

It's become readily apparent that Poles came in and saw a roster full of overpaid and overrated guys that he knew he would get rid of but had to hang on to until he got what he felt was a good offer. James Daniels has been OK, but the rest of the guys he moved on from (Mack, Robinson, Roquan, Hicks, and Quinn) have all had moments, but Mack, Robinson, Hicks, and Quinn are all fading late in the season and have missed numerous games.

Yeah, it would have been a disaster if he kept those guys.

Just about very new GM gets rid of the old GM's players. Poles has been more extreme than many other GMs in this regard, but he was forced to do so since he inherited a team with almost no young talent.

It's good that he realistically appraised what Pace left him. But we still have no idea if he's capable of building a championship roster. Right now, signs are mixed.

I agree.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Nas wrote:

Seems to me that Poles realized right away that Roquan was highly overrated and doubt he ever actually offered him anywhere near what the hapless crackpots in the "Bears Media" reported.

It's become readily apparent that Poles came in and saw a roster full of overpaid and overrated guys that he knew he would get rid of but had to hang on to until he got what he felt was a good offer. James Daniels has been OK, but the rest of the guys he moved on from (Mack, Robinson, Roquan, Hicks, and Quinn) have all had moments, but Mack, Robinson, Hicks, and Quinn are all fading late in the season and have missed numerous games.

Just about very new GM gets rid of the old GM's players. Poles has been more extreme than many other GMs in this regard, but he was forced to do so since he inherited a team with almost no young talent.

He really has not committed long-term to anyone on the roster, has taken a flyer on a few guys that were early round picks, but failed elsewhere, but even those guys only have a year or two left on their deals.

The first big FA signing will tell quite a bit about how he plans to rebuild the roster. It will likely be a lineman, as there does seem to be some decent younger talent on the defensive line particularly that should be available.

The trade down stuff is getting more prevalent, good to see the Bears media types are reading the posts here, welcome aboard Parko, reading in other sections that your silly Bears takes are getting exposed on air. Jalen Carter looks like he could be your legit three technique, you still can get him if you trade back a pick or two, this gives you a key piece of your D and another early pick to address the plethora of needs on both sides of the ball.

The University of Georga may have a better defensive line than your Chicago Bears at this point of the season.

It's good that he realistically appraised what Pace left him. But we still have no idea if he's capable of building a championship roster. Right now, signs are mixed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Clawmaster wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Nas wrote:

He really has not committed long-term to anyone on the roster, has taken a flyer on a few guys that were early round picks, but failed elsewhere, but even those guys only have a year or two left on their deals.

The first big FA signing will tell quite a bit about how he plans to rebuild the roster. It will likely be a lineman, as there does seem to be some decent younger talent on the defensive line particularly that should be available.

The trade down stuff is getting more prevalent, good to see the Bears media types are reading the posts here, welcome aboard Parko, reading in other sections that your silly Bears takes are getting exposed on air. Jalen Carter looks like he could be your legit three technique, you still can get him if you trade back a pick or two, this gives you a key piece of your D and another early pick to address the plethora of needs on both sides of the ball.

The University of Georga may have a better defensive line than your Chicago Bears at this point of the season.

I'm not sure if he is going to be able to do it considering the dearth of talent they have, but I would hope that Flus can effectively rate the capability of his coaches under him as well as himself. I really question Getsy being the OC solely based on his play calling not quarterback development. Same thing with the Defensive coaches. How much of that is lack of talent versus lack of scheme? I don't know.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:32 am 

There will certainly be misses in FA and the draft, but the moves at the top of the draft must result in the drafting of impact players if the franchise wants to become relevant in the near or distant future.

Ryan Pace was so bad at drafting in early rounds that he almost seemed to give up and try to trade first round picks due to his fairly obvious inability to select offensive skill position players. If Poles is smart, he should be able to turn this year's first round pick in a player or players that will be cornerstones of the franchise for the next 5-10 years, and that has seemingly been the plan ever sense he agreed to take the job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
We still don't have a lot of information about Poles as a talent evaluator and draft strategist, but the early returns make me nervous.

Why would he pass on drafting Pickens at 48 then trade a significantly higher second round pick to Pittsburgh for Claypool?

Are 1.5 years of Claypool and 4 years of Brisker better than having 4 years of Pickens and 4 years of a top 3 2nd round pick in the 2023 draft?

It's difficult to make that argument.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Tall Midget wrote:
We still don't have a lot of information about Poles as a talent evaluator and draft strategist, but the early returns make me nervous.

Why would he pass on drafting Pickens at 48 then trade a significantly higher second round pick to Pittsburgh for Claypool?

Are 1.5 years of Claypool and 4 years of Brisker better than having 4 years of Pickens and 4 years of a top 3 2nd round pick in the 2023 draft?

I was told that we are not allowed to ask those questions regarding Poles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

Definitely some things to be concerned about. The Brisker pick does not bother me as much because it appears he is going to be a solid contributor for awhile.

The bigger issues appear to me to be the Gordon and Velus draft picks and the Claypool trade. Pitts will no doubt draft a future HOFer with that 2nd round pick.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

Pickens has some Antonio Brown in him, and I don't think he's as talented. Even when they are winning, his teammates have to babysit on one the sidelines so he can stop throwing tantrums. I personally believe Claypool is better.

The jury is definitely out on Poles as a talent evaluator. At this point, the Gordon pick is more questionable than the Brisker pick.
However, he drafted a LT in the 5th round who has graded out, since the Washington game, better than the guy most of us want Poles to give $25M a year to this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 am 

Nas wrote:
Pickens has some Antonio Brown in him, and I don't think he's as talented. Even when they are winning, his teammates have to babysit on one the sidelines so he can stop throwing tantrums. I personally believe Claypool is better.

The jury is definitely out on Poles as a talent evaluator. At this point, the Gordon pick is more questionable than the Brisker pick.
However, he drafted a LT in the 5th round who has graded out, since the Washington game, better than the guy most of us want Poles to give $25M a year to this offseason.

Poles also botched free agency this year. He should have made a stronger offer, poison pill'd the offer for Ryan Bates. He then pulled the offer for Larry Ogunjobi who has been healthy and pretty good for the Steelers and his crown jewel of free agency Lucas Patrick(douchy suburb name, sounds like a kid from Glen Ellyn) has been a disaster, a china doll.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:14 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Poles also botched free agency this year. He should have made a stronger offer, poison pill'd the offer for Ryan Bates. He then pulled the offer for Larry Ogunjobi who has been healthy and pretty good for the Steelers and his crown jewel of free agency Lucas Patrick(douchy suburb name, sounds like a kid from Glen Ellyn) has been a disaster, a china doll.

Tevin Jenkins has been better than Bates. Ogunjobi could potentially be signed next offseason. He's just a guy. Patrick was a 1 year stop gap. There were no shitty long-term investments. We'll find out about those next offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:18 am 

Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Tevin Jenkins has been better than Bates. Ogunjobi could potentially be signed next offseason. He's just a guy. Patrick was a 1 year stop gap. There were no shitty long-term investments. We'll find out about those next offseason.

They could have had both Bates and Jenkins (Bates filled in at center) and Jenkins, well Poles inherited him and tried to run him off the roster this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:26 am 
100000 CLUB

I don't like the Velus Jones pick, but getting 3 or 4 legitimate starters from a draft class is a win. Especially when you didn't have a first or 4th round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

Didn't Claypool have "attitude" problems in Pittsburgh? Has he gotten better or worse since his rookie season? Why does he still catch with his body rather than his hands? Can he even run all routes at his position correctly?

The idea that Claypool is better than Pickens seems suspect at best to me. The fact that the Bears gave up a top 35 pick for 1.5 years of the guy makes things seem even worse, especially after they passed on a comparable talent who they could've acquired for a longer time at a cheaper price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Pickens is better and will be a top 10 guy by year 3. The Bears fucked up by not getting Pickens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm 

Pickens had both injury and attitude red flags.

The second round guy we passed who I'm looking at and gets no discussion is Alec Pierce with the Colts. Their numbers are remarkably similar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:19 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

The second round guy we passed who I'm looking at and gets no discussion is Alec Pierce with the Colts. Their numbers are remarkably similar

Pickens hasn't missed a game all season

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:23 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

great

he missed some in college with structural knee damage

How many times have we Bears fans seen them draft someone with a medical red flag which ends in disaster?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

312player wrote:
Pickens is better and will be a top 10 guy by year 3. The Bears fucked up by not getting Pickens.

You're basing this off a couple highlight catches. He's done nothing to make anyone run after Poles with a pitchfork.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:35 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

great

he missed some in college with structural knee damage

How many times have we Bears fans seen them draft someone with a medical red flag which ends in disaster?

Brisker may be a player but I'd trade Pickens for Twinkle Toes in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:39 pm 

The TAMPA 2 is driven by the front 4, drafting two DB's made zero sense with all the other team needs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

Didn't Claypool have "attitude" problems in Pittsburgh? Has he gotten better or worse since his rookie season? Why does he still catch with his body rather than his hands? Can he even run all routes at his position correctly?

The idea that Claypool is better than Pickens seems suspect at best to me. The fact that the Bears gave up a top 35 pick for 1.5 years of the guy makes things seem even worse, especially after they passed on a comparable talent who they could've acquired for a longer time at a cheaper price.

No, Claypool spoke out of turn a couple of times, and he may not be black enough for Tomlin. Statistically, there is no way to tell if he's gotten better. He played with a quarterback whose arm was weaker than Chad Pennington last year. I know he's been in the top 10 of 50/50 catches since he's been in the NFL.

I believe the Bears were targeting Watson. I don't think the Bears wanted Pickens at all. I think the Bears want Claypool long-term. I suspect they'll figure out a deal in the offseason. Claypool is better than any free agent options, and he eliminates the risk of the unknown in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:46 pm 

Seems they felt they could get solid early production out of Jones returning kicks as they developed him, but he lost his punt retuning job and seems to be quite slow in picking up the offense, do you spend a 3rd round pick on a guy like that, questionable given glaring needs on both lines.

The two db's will be starters for years, think they felt the value was too good to pass up.

Jones is the real surprise, he will at least compete for you somewhere on the line next year and is at the very least a solid long time player.

Dominique Robinson is raw, but they are taking a long look at him this year, he should be a situational pass rusher for you long term.

Ebener looked promising in the pre season, but has the same issue Jones and Claypool have, he doesn't know the playbook, the kid was given a chance and screwed it up, hopefully it wasn't his last and only chance because he does seem to have value catching the ball out of the backfield.

Do think Kramer would have got a look at C if not injured.

Fairly apparent that Poles targeted short term FA fill ins, guys they could easily move on from.

He will have to overpay significantly if he wants to get difference makers on the d or o lines. The first big FA move will be a big tell on how he plans to rebuild the roster, it almost has to be a d lineman.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

My hope is Claypool and Fields develop some chemistry over the remaining games. Mooney is a nice player, but Claypool gives Fields something that no other player on the roster can provide. He can beat good cornerbacks, has an insane catch radius, and he's excellent at winning 50/50 balls or getting a DPI.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:57 pm 

Nas wrote:
My hope is Claypool and Fields develop some chemistry over the remaining games. Mooney is a nice player, but Claypool gives Fields something that no other player on the roster can provide. He can beat good cornerbacks, has an insane catch radius, and he's excellent at winning 50/50 balls or getting a DPI.

They better hope so because they basically have up a first rounder for him considering Miami's late 1st will be forfeited.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

No, Claypool spoke out of turn a couple of times, and he may not be black enough for Tomlin. Statistically, there is no way to tell if he's gotten better. He played with a quarterback whose arm was weaker than Chad Pennington last year. I know he's been in the top 10 of 50/50 catches since he's been in the NFL.

I believe the Bears were targeting Watson. I don't think the Bears wanted Pickens at all. I think the Bears want Claypool long-term. I suspect they'll figure out a deal in the offseason. Claypool is better than any free agent options, and he eliminates the risk of the unknown in the draft.

Tomlin clearly grew disenchanted with Claypool because of his immaturity, which most famously manifested itself in the Vikings game last year. But Tomlin publicly addressed Claypool's immaturity before that game and apparently demoted him this season due to the same concerns.

It's rather strange that you are making a racially-inflected accusation to discredit Tomlin when you have previously described him as a great coach. That coach had both Pickens and Claypool on his roster at the same time, and he chose Pickens over Claypool. It's fine that you prefer Claypool, but the evidence isn't working in your favor at this point.

I think it's clear that the Steelers decided to cut ties with Claypool at some point late last season and drafted Pickens to replace him. They apparently didn't think much of Claypool but waited for the bad publicity swirling around him to dissipate so they could find a sucker--er, a trading partner--to give them a high draft pick in exchange for an asset of questionable value. That sucker was Ryan Poles. It will take another year to see who was right, but the Steelers have a pretty good track record in identifying top wideouts. Poles couldn't even tell that Jenkins was by far the best offensive lineman on his roster, and the offensive line is presumably his area of expertise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:

Tomlin clearly grew disenchanted with Claypool because of his immaturity, which most famously manifested itself in the Vikings game last year. But Tomlin publicly addressed Claypool's immaturity before that game and apparently demoted him this season due to the same concerns.

It's rather strange that you are making a racially-inflected accusation to discredit Tomlin when you have previously described him as a great coach. That coach had both Pickens and Claypool on his roster at the same time, and he chose Pickens over Claypool. It's fine that you prefer Claypool, but the evidence isn't working in your favor at this point.

I think it's clear that the Steelers decided to cut ties with Claypool at some point late last season and drafted Pickens to replace him. They apparently didn't think much of Claypool but waited for the bad publicity swirling around him to dissipate so they could find a sucker--er, a trading partner--to give them a high draft pick in exchange for an asset of questionable value. That sucker was Ryan Poles. It will take another year to see who was right, but the Steelers have a pretty good track record in identifying top wideouts. Poles couldn't even tell that Jenkins was by far the best offensive lineman on his roster, and the offensive line is presumably his area of expertise.

I feel comfortable with my statement about Tomlin's preference. He favors the "manly man" and the fist fighters over a cerebral and well spoken guy. Pickens and Johnson have done far more bitching than Claypool ever has. They're his type of guys, though.

I know you're hellbent on proving that Poles isn't good, but what has Pickens done that has you clamoring for him? Make a few highlight catches? He's having a very pedestrian rookie year. Maybe he'll become an elite WR, and Poles will suck. At this point, there is more proof that Poles won't suck than there is of Pickens being an elite receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:24 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

They also have a history of moving on from top wideouts when they become expensive. Claypool replaced Ju Ju, who replaced AB and so on. It's a nice system if you are good at evaluating the position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:32 pm 

Nas wrote:
but what has Pickens done that has you clamoring for him?

Well for one, he has more receiving yards and TDs in 2022 than Claypool.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:

Man you really love this guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:38 pm 

The Bears would be ABSOLUTLY better right now with

The first or second pick in the 2nd round of the 2023 NFL Draft
George Pickens instead of Twinkle Toes

There is no denying that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next