It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Teams
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
If the Bears end up moving to Arlington Heights and the NFL shows interest in moving a team from a shit market to Chicago to play in Soldier Field...would Chicago support two NFL teams?

Bears fans are passionate, many to a fault and wouldnt dare be a fan of another team, regardless of how shitty the Bears are. Others have been fed up for decades with how the franchise is run and might move on to a new team to support.

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Two Teams
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Did you miss the Lake Michigan Jaguars discussion?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Chicago could definitely support a second team. The Bears have too much power and clout for that to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:38 am 

They'd support a second team if they got a brand new stadium or played in the Arlington Heights one.

Who is going to choose to spend money watching the Jaguars play outside in bad weather for half the season?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think it would be difficult.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:40 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Did you miss the Lake Michigan Jaguars discussion?

Yes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
They'd support a second team if they got a brand new stadium or played in the Arlington Heights one.

Who is going to choose to spend money watching the Jaguars play outside in bad weather for half the season?

People who pride themselves on being tough and Midwestern. JAGUAR WEATHER! Or you can go be a pussy inside a suburban mall.

Regardless, the NFL is a TV show. The Lake Michigan Jaguars would be just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
People who pride themselves on being tough and Midwestern. JAGUAR WEATHER! Or you can go be a pussy inside a suburban mall.
Most of the people on this board seem to dream of leaving the terrible state of Illinois so I don't see the pride showing up for the Jaguars.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Unless we somehow imagine the Jaguars would become the Brady Patriots I don't really see why people wouldn't just watch the Bears on television instead.

Last edited by Brick on Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
My understanding is that individual NFL owners have the right to unilaterally veto the addition of new teams in their markets.

Despite their wanton incompetence in running the Bears, I think the McCaskeys are smart enough to prevent other NFL franchises from moving into Chicago.

100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

I don't think kids care about watching sports and most older Bears fans are too loyal to consider supporting another organization.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The only market which currently supports two teams is New York/New Jersey, where the Giants were the only team forever for all of New York and New England (when I lived in Boston in 1995 one of the big AM stations was still part of the Giants Radio Network), and the Jets have been around for 60 years.

Don't tell me about Los Angeles, the Chargers are just there to give people from other cities an excuse to go to LA for vacation before the team eventually moves to London.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:00 am 

Da Chicago Chargers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Nas wrote:
I don't think kids care about watching sports

This. I do have nieces and nephews who are very much into playing sports, but that doesn't translate to them watching on TV. And they aren't playing football for the most part, it's mostly baseball/softball and basketball, and one scrawny kid who is good at middle school soccer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
it would be awesome to have the Jaguars move into Soldier Field and then get the opportunity to beat the Bears asses there that first season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:27 am 

I dont know the rules about the bears being able to veto a second team in Chicago or how the NFL handles that kind of thing or if it would ever be possible, but from a fandom point of view ABSOLUTELY Chicago could and would support two teams. It would be great for the city and the entire market.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:29 am 
100000 CLUB

man of few opinions wrote:
I dont know the rules about the bears being able to veto a second team in Chicago or how the NFL handles that kind of thing or if it would ever be possible, but from a fandom point of view ABSOLUTELY Chicago could and would support two teams. It would be great for the city and the entire market.

Stay out of Chicago business. Worry about New Jersey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:31 am 

It's worked out so well having two baseball teams in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:02 pm 

Brick wrote:

You don't think 2 baseball teams in Chicago has worked out? They have co-existed for 120+ years. Maybe we need a longer "trial" period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Chargers are an anomaly....I don't think the NFL would want 2 teams in Chicago. They'd have their eyes on other markets.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:31 pm 

i cant think of another market - LA is indifferent and nobody really cares anyway. Northeast is saturated. Middle America? Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma? They just yanked a team from St Louis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
i cant think of another market - LA is indifferent and nobody really cares anyway. Northeast is saturated. Middle America? Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma? They just yanked a team from St Louis.

Chiefs own that territory.

I think a 4 team European division is where they are going.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:41 pm 

The "markets" are all covered. The Chicago area is one of the most foot-ball hungry regions in the country. I totally understand why the Bears would be against it, but as far as the market being able to support it or a new team gaining a fan base, it would be a slam dunk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:21 pm 

Brick wrote:

You don't think 2 baseball teams in Chicago has worked out? They have co-existed for 120+ years. Maybe we need a longer "trial" period.

Is your point that the two teams wouldn't murder each other?

Of course a second team could exist. It would maybe be the White Sox after 30 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The "markets" are all covered. The Chicago area is one of the most foot-ball hungry regions in the country. I totally understand why the Bears would be against it, but as far as the market being able to support it or a new team gaining a fan base, it would be a slam dunk.

That doesn't matter.
The Chicago market would be a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. Just fans shifting. Putting a team in a new market with no team is where the NFL would go. To BRick's point....Europe makes more sense in terms of growing the fan base.

I think it's silly, but they don't care about my opinion.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
BigW72 wrote:

That doesn't matter.
The Chicago market would be a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. Just fans shifting. Putting a team in a new market with no team is where the NFL would go. To BRick's point....Europe makes more sense in terms of growing the fan base.

I think it's silly, but they don't care about my opinion.

Europe lacks the pro business, friendly tax environment that’s seen 3 teams placed in Florida.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:54 pm 

I see the Titans are building a brand new retractable roof 2 billion dollar stadium that is to be open 2026.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Apart Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
I see the Titans are building a brand new retractable roof 2 billion dollar stadium that is to be open 2026.

SMASHVILLE WHIET SOX"s??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:33 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Of course a second team could exist. It would maybe be the White Sox after 30 years.

I think you greatly under-estimate how much of a football town Chicago is and how many fans there who would love a clean start with a new franchise. And if (when) the Bears left Chicago for the suburbs, there would be a big opportunity for a new "Chicago" team to fill the void and easily co-exist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

I think you greatly under-estimate how much of a football town Chicago is and how many fans there who would love a clean start with a new franchise. And if (when) the Bears left Chicago for the suburbs, there would be a big opportunity for a new "Chicago" team to fill the void and easily co-exist.

It's all talk. It's what frustrated fans do. As much as the Mara family annoys you, I'm confident you won't become a Jets fan if they won 5 Super Bowls in a row. I'm also convinced you wouldn't support a new team that actually played in New York.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:44 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Nas wrote:
I don't think kids care about watching sports

This. I do have nieces and nephews who are very much into playing sports, but that doesn't translate to them watching on TV. And they aren't playing football for the most part, it's mostly baseball/softball and basketball, and one scrawny kid who is good at middle school soccer.

My sons couldn't care less about the NFL and really only one follows college football. But honestly I felt old enough when I realized that my youngest doesn't really watch much if anything on tv. Including football (after playing for six years).