It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:40 am 

pizza_Place: Soup Kitchen
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Why do you believe the Bears lost a shot at an elite player? Only 4 of the best non quarterback prospects will be off the board before their selection.

The Bears acquired a #1 receiver with a below market value contract. How is that a negative? Are you confident a WR in this draft is better than Moore. I liked Jakobi Meyers in free agency, but he isn't better.

Poles has given Fields 3 quality wide receivers. He's likely going to put a solid line in front of him. He's giving Fields all the tools he needs to succeed. If he fails, Poles will pivot next offseason. I'm not sure what you are expecting, but it's clear to me what he is doing.

Edit: The Bills gave up a 1st round pick for Diggs, and Diggs was 2 years older. Diggs didn't have the same catches or yards as Moore before he was dealt. Diggs also played with a far superior quarterback.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ggSt00.htm

Because they traded too far back to land a guy like (Anderson) for example.

It’s a negative because you exchanged a future 1st round pick (according to rumors anyway) for a veteran in the trade. It’s also a negative because you’re paying him (20 million I believe) this year so that’s 20 million off the books you can’t spend in FA now. So basically, you pass on 2 players for the price of one. And as Antioch mentions, Moore is also most likely a season off from being a holdout.

Poles has given the team 1 quality WR in Moore so far. He didn’t draft Mooney, and we have no idea how the Claypool trade or Velus draft pick works out.

I believe in building thru the draft, I believe his desperation (my opinion) lead to him losing out on making deals that would have allotted him more and better picks both now and in the future to do that with. That’s my take, I get that I can’t prove it (like the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky Trade).. but I will never believe that over a month and a half or so out from the draft he couldn’t have got better offers than this had he let more time pass, allowed pro days to come and go and so on.

My theory is his ‘no ones gonna push me to do this I’ll do it when I’m ready’ was nothing more than projecting strength to cover weakness. He didn’t hear much from Houston or Indy because they were being patient and sitting on the pro days, and playing the game themselves.. so after all that week long pub and not getting much out of those teams he blinked 1st. It’s just a theory tho, who knows what actually happened, but that what I’ve got.

What are you talking about? They didn't exchange a future 1st, they get Carolina's next year as well as their own. Moore is a veteran - but a 25-year old. You don't pass on 2 players for 1, you needed a WR and an OL so now you fill both holes for 1 pick. Moore wasn't available in free agency, so the $20 million you would have spent on him goes to Mecole Hardman or Juju Smith-Schuster instead and that's a better deal?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:43 am 

NME wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
NME wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
I can’t for the life of me understand how any bears fan can be unhappy with this trade.

It’s mostly the unknowable - did he get itchy and jump the gun? Who else was interested in trading and what do their picks look like relative to the Panthers late 2nd? I think Moore is very good but he’s taking the place of a much less expensive future 1st. To me that’s not a slam dunk for this Bears team.

Add to that, dropping to 9 in a draft Poles thinks has 6-8 studs. Who knows how many QBs were in that 6-8?

Pretty well said.

On my end I’d say I’m more underwhelmed than completely unhappy. He could have got more (again, my opinion).. but he did get something.

In any event I’ll have this behind me and move on to concentrating on what they do in free agency. I’m hoping they get at least 1 top tier O-lineman and one top tier D-lineman.. with further hopes for 2 good O-lineman. Bottom line is I’d like to see them fix the O-line this off-season and I think they can do that in both FA and the draft.. if they choose wisely

Who do you think they will get with the #9 pick? I gotta think that they will go with the best available on defense. Maybe the best DT or LB/Edge rusher? I see them going OT in free agency?

At 9 it’s tougher to say.. I’d like to see them go defense there but only with certain guys (like Wilson or maybe Van Ness).. but offensive line might be the play there too. I really need to see where they go in FA now to have a better opinion here tbh

Dark horse pick (for fun): Bijan Robinson at 9

You bitch about the trade for 4 pages and then suggest taking a RB at #9? Holy hell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Coolest Guy in the Room wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Why do you believe the Bears lost a shot at an elite player? Only 4 of the best non quarterback prospects will be off the board before their selection.

The Bears acquired a #1 receiver with a below market value contract. How is that a negative? Are you confident a WR in this draft is better than Moore. I liked Jakobi Meyers in free agency, but he isn't better.

Poles has given Fields 3 quality wide receivers. He's likely going to put a solid line in front of him. He's giving Fields all the tools he needs to succeed. If he fails, Poles will pivot next offseason. I'm not sure what you are expecting, but it's clear to me what he is doing.

Edit: The Bills gave up a 1st round pick for Diggs, and Diggs was 2 years older. Diggs didn't have the same catches or yards as Moore before he was dealt. Diggs also played with a far superior quarterback.

It’s a negative because you exchanged a future 1st round pick (according to rumors anyway) for a veteran in the trade. It’s also a negative because you’re paying him (20 million I believe) this year so that’s 20 million off the books you can’t spend in FA now. So basically, you pass on 2 players for the price of one. And as Antioch mentions, Moore is also most likely a season off from being a holdout.

Poles has given the team 1 quality WR in Moore so far. He didn’t draft Mooney, and we have no idea how the Claypool trade or Velus draft pick works out.

I believe in building thru the draft, I believe his desperation (my opinion) lead to him losing out on making deals that would have allotted him more and better picks both now and in the future to do that with. That’s my take, I get that I can’t prove it (like the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky Trade).. but I will never believe that over a month and a half or so out from the draft he couldn’t have got better offers than this had he let more time pass, allowed pro days to come and go and so on.

My theory is his ‘no ones gonna push me to do this I’ll do it when I’m ready’ was nothing more than projecting strength to cover weakness. He didn’t hear much from Houston or Indy because they were being patient and sitting on the pro days, and playing the game themselves.. so after all that week long pub and not getting much out of those teams he blinked 1st. It’s just a theory tho, who knows what actually happened, but that what I’ve got.

What are you talking about? They didn't exchange a future 1st, they get Carolina's next year as well as their own. Moore is a veteran - but a 25-year old. You don't pass on 2 players for 1, you needed a WR and an OL so now you fill both holes for 1 pick. Moore wasn't available in free agency, so the $20 million you would have spent on him goes to Mecole Hardman or Juju Smith-Schuster instead and that's a better deal?

He’s saying they took (exchanged) DJ Moore instead of a future first.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-pan ... 11955.html

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:19 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Coolest Guy in the Room wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

He’s saying they took (exchanged) DJ Moore instead of a future first.

They got Moore AND a future 1st though. Is he saying the trade would have been better with Carolina's 2024 and 2025 1st round pick instead of Moore? Carolina is rebuilding too, you probably don't get that deal when they get their #1 QB and then have zero picks to build around him. These PFF mock draft / Maddn people are insane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Yeah, it was reported Poles said he could get 3 firsts and people were understandably skeptical, but if reports are again to be believed, Carolina was willing to give up 3 firsts but Poles wanted DJ instead of the 3rd first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:29 am 

and I certainly would want Moore today with three years on his contract (and possible tag control beyond) than a 2025 first.

Spending some time thinking about it, the trade is good.

There are some parts I don't like. I don't love trading back to 9. I also really don't like that Poles, just like in the Ravens trade, took the worse of the team's available picks in the second round. That seems to be overlooked in everyone's euphoria. I would have waited that one out in both instances. You've whetted those teams' appetites. They aren't walking away over the difference in a little bit of second round capital, especially when they still retain a second round pick. I understand he wanted clarity for free agency starting today. I understand. I may not agree with its importance, but I understand. Let that trade simmer for a couple of extra days, until Sunday. The Panthers weren't going to pull it and who knows what might have occurred. I just would have let them know I needed the higher 2 and let them think about it. I honestly think if he strung this out, he could have gotten that '25 #1 AND DJ Moore but that might be getting greedy.

I love that they got Moore. If you told me he was on the market, I would think his value would be a back half of the first, front half of the second pick. His present value is greater than a 25 #1. He's probably a little undervalued, coming off his worst season. I don't think he is the elite of the elite. However, he is the kind of receiver with enough of a reputation that Fields can think he is always open, even when he is not. That's the kind of guy who can relieve some of this perpetual patting of the ball as he waits for a receiver to be open. Throw it. Moore IS open. He requires 6-7 targets a game to not be pouty, so when in doubt, throw it to him.

What I really love is that, contrary to what I have previously written, Poles is no longer tied to Fields. Next year is a great qb draft class and he will have two #1 picks that should be no worse than the teens. If Fields doesn't develop to Poles' satisfaction or he just doesn't like Fields' style of play, he's still a tradeable asset with 2+ years of team control.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
and I certainly would want Moore today with three years on his contract (and possible tag control beyond) than a 2025 first.

There are some parts I don't like. I don't love trading back to 9. I also really don't like that Poles, just like in the Ravens trade, took the worse of the team's available picks in the second round. That seems to be overlooked in everyone's euphoria. I would have waited that one out in both instances. You've whetted those teams' appetites. They aren't walking away over the difference in a little bit of second round capital, especially when they still retain a second round pick. I understand he wanted clarity for free agency starting today. I understand. I may not agree with its importance, but I understand. Let that trade simmer for a couple of extra days, until Sunday. The Panthers weren't going to pull it and who knows what might have occurred. I just would have let them know I needed the higher 2 and let them think about it. I honestly think if he strung this out, he could have gotten that '25 #1 AND DJ Moore but that might be getting greedy.

I love that they got Moore. If you told me he was on the market, I would think his value would be a back half of the first, front half of the second pick. His present value is greater than a 25 #1. He's probably a little undervalued, coming off his worst season. I don't think he is the elite of the elite. However, he is the kind of receiver with enough of a reputation that Fields can think he is always open, even when he is not. That's the kind of guy who can relieve some of this perpetual patting of the ball as he waits for a receiver to be open. Throw it. Moore IS open. He requires 6-7 targets a game to not be pouty, so when in doubt, throw it to him.

What I really love is that, contrary to what I have previously written, Poles is no longer tied to Fields. Next year is a great qb draft class and he will have two #1 picks that should be no worse than the teens. If Fields doesn't develop to Poles' satisfaction or he just doesn't like Fields' style of play, he's still a tradeable asset with 2+ years of team control.

Your last point is why I preferred the 2025 1st over Moore, whom I like. The 2025 first could have been used in a trade to move up in next year's draft.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:56 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Your last point is why I preferred the 2025 1st over Moore, whom I like. The 2025 first could have been used in a trade to move up in next year's draft.

Moore insulates them from having to do something stupid with Claypool or Mooney in free agency. Offer both of them a contract in training camp. First to take it, gets to stay with the team. The other gets free agency after being the third option on a running team. Claypool's probably a candidate for a one year prove it contract in free agency under that scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:06 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
You know Fields can't throw if he can't throw next year though. That's more valuable than jumping up 5 or 6 spots in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:18 am 

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
You know Fields can't throw if he can't throw next year though. That's more valuable than jumping up 5 or 6 spots in the draft.

Yeah with the addition of Moore and whatever else they do in FA/draft there will be a clear indication of what Fields is this next year. If he is the guy then great you got 2 first round picks to use on team needs. If he is not the guy then you have draft capital to use in a supposedly really strong draft to get another QB.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:19 am 

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't think I understand your point entirely. I understand next year's draft has QB prospects that are more attractive than Fields, so that's why I valued the extra 2025 pick.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
veganfan21 wrote:
Read Poles chose Moore over a 2025 first. Leaning toward the first if true.

You were indefatigable in your weekly flogging of Poles last year for failing to surround Fields with offensive skill players, particularly wide receivers.

Poles then rectifies this perceived error by trading for the best available wide receiver and your response is....yet another flogging of Poles.

I love you Veggie, but who ya crappin'?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:34 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

The Ravens didn't have a better pick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:57 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't think I understand your point entirely. I understand next year's draft has QB prospects that are more attractive than Fields, so that's why I valued the extra 2025 pick.
The point is that with DJ Moore you can make a final determination on Fields next year and you likely couldn't if he just had Claypool to not throw the ball to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:59 am 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

The point is that with DJ Moore you can make a final determination on Fields next year and you likely couldn't if he just had Claypool to not throw the ball to.

If he ignores Moore and Claypool, he should probably be benched mid-season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Agree Brick. If Fields is not the guy then the Bears are not likely to have a good record next season, which means a good draft pick. The Panthers arent likely to be good nextSeason either, so another good draft pick. They can use a high pick to get another QB.

I'm still high on Fields, but this is a prove it season for him.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:06 am 
100000 CLUB

It's possible the Bears could get Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr in the same draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Read Poles chose Moore over a 2025 first. Leaning toward the first if true.

You were indefatigable in your weekly flogging of Poles last year for failing to surround Fields with offensive skill players, particularly wide receivers.

Poles then rectifies this perceived error by trading for the best available wide receiver and your response is....yet another flogging of Poles.

I love you Veggie, but who ya crappin'?

Welcome back.

It's true, he should have surrounded Fields with NFL talent. The consequence of not doing so is 1) we stiill don't know who Fields is or what he's capable of and 2) the team sucked. Because of #2 he gained leverage with the #1 pick. I wouldn't say I am "flogging" him though for the Moore trade. Again, I like Moore but I was clear to say I "preferred" the extra 2025 first over Moore.

Here's the way I look at it:

Bears move down 8 spots and get the following in return:

2023 second
DJ Moore - kinda #1/definitely elite 2. Right age and good contract.
2024 first
2025 second

OR.

2023 second
2024 first
2025 first
2025 second

Just saying the second haul is slightly more lucrative than the first to me. Mainly because you can flip the picks for a chance to draft Caleb Williams or trade for some other stud, like Miami did with their trades last year. Definitely not flogging him though.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:17 am 

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I guess I'm more down on Fields than ever. I was fine with just writing him off for 2023 and focusing on Caleb Williams.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:21 am 

I don't really like including anything in 2025. I would have preferred a 1 and 2 next year over the 2 in 25. Panthers probably wouldn't have done that

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:36 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I guess I'm more down on Fields than ever. I was fine with just writing him off for 2023 and focusing on Caleb Williams.
I would have traded him this year and taken a QB but if Fields is on the roster I understand giving him a chance to prove it next year. I think those were the only two options and I doubt there was much value in a Fields trade whereas a Fields failure + all these picks is a good consolation prize.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:43 am 
100000 CLUB

I still somewhat holdout hope that the Texans or Colts may want Fields, but I don't think there was a market for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Getting the first next year gives you the resources to move up next year, the Raiders picks was the one that I would have wanted because they are in a much tougher division, but Carolina will be in young QB mode next year which should put the pick in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

Like both Willams and Maye next year better than all the guys this year and you have put yourself in the position to move up and get one of those guys next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:02 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Getting the first next year gives you the resources to move up next year, the Raiders picks was the one that I would have wanted because they are in a much tougher division, but Carolina will be in young QB mode next year which should put the pick in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

Like both Willams and Maye next year better than all the guys this year and you have put yourself in the position to move up and get one of those guys next year.

Bears next year will be in a similar situation to the Texans this year

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Yeah with the addition of Moore and whatever else they do in FA/draft there will be a clear indication of what Fields is this next year. If he is the guy then great you got 2 first round picks to use on team needs. If he is not the guy then you have draft capital to use in a supposedly really strong draft to get another QB.

That certainly is a very reasonable opinion.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

You think the Panthers will be good enough to pick 12th?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Im wondering what the fallback excuse will be ( i know this its ridiculous to even consider this because its a scenario thats basically impossible BUT) if Fields only shows slight improvement next year , whats the plan ? Wait another year for him to achieve his forgone conclusion greatness because he only had one year with “ legit” NFL talent and thats not enough time / unfair to judge him on ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: John's
They will draft Caleb Williams if Fields sucks in 2023

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Except their record will be at least middle of the pack so their own draft position will be middle of the pack. Carolina, however, will struggle so they should get a #3 to #7 pick from them.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next