It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:
I don't personally believe Carter was the best player. IF you are going to gamble on a guy who has the flaws that Carter has, you better have a GREAT locker room and the cachet. Poles would have been betting his career on Carter. I'm not taking that bet. Even the Steelers weren't interested.

Didn't the Steelers pick after the Bears, when Carter was already gone? And since when are the Steelers the paragon of greatness? they havent won a playoff game in years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
man of few opinions wrote:
Nas wrote:
I don't personally believe Carter was the best player. IF you are going to gamble on a guy who has the flaws that Carter has, you better have a GREAT locker room and the cachet. Poles would have been betting his career on Carter. I'm not taking that bet. Even the Steelers weren't interested.

Didn't the Steelers pick after the Bears, when Carter was already gone? And since when are the Steelers the paragon of greatness? they havent won a playoff game in years.

The Steelers weren't interested in trading up for him. The Steelers have easily the best organization in football. They've sustained success for over 30 years.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
For whatever reason, Flus & Poles doubt their locker room culture and their players’ ability to absorb a guy like Carter.

I’m not sure if it’s good that they recognize that weakness or bad that they see a weakness and don’t think they can fix it. At least there are no built-in excuses for Fields heading into next year. If he fails, move on.

I imagine Poles would pass on Caleb Williams because he wrote ‘fuck Utah’ on his fingernails that one time - and the Bears don’t need that type of character at Halas Hall - but at least they’ll have their answer on Fields.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am 
100000 CLUB

[quote="This Ends in Antioch"]For whatever reason, Flus & Poles doubt their locker room culture and their players’ ability to absorb a guy like Carter.

I’m not sure if it’s good that they recognize that weakness or bad that they see a weakness and don’t think they can fix it. At least there are no built-in excuses for Fields heading into next year. If he fails, move on.

I imagine Poles would pass on Caleb Williams because he wrote ‘fuck Utah’ on his fingernails that one time - and the Bears don’t need that type of character at Halas Hall - but at least they’ll have their answer on Fields.[
/quote]

Weak! Do better!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Nas wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
For whatever reason, Flus & Poles doubt their locker room culture and their players’ ability to absorb a guy like Carter.

I imagine Poles would pass on Caleb Williams because he wrote ‘fuck Utah’ on his fingernails that one time - and the Bears don’t need that type of character at Halas Hall - but at least they’ll have their answer on Fields.[
/quote]

Weak! Do better!

Quote better and I’ll make an effort.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:06 am 
100000 CLUB

:cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:10 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
People seem to generally like Wright as a safe pick. That’s fine. If they pick up a center today, they’ll have 4 spots on the OL relatively locked in with young guys, so they’ve at least addressed one side of the ball.

quietly, they have drafted a starting OL in each of the last three years

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

The Steelers weren't interested in trading up for him. The Steelers have easily the best organization in football. They've sustained success for over 30 years.

There are lots of valid points I have heard to argue the case for trading back and not taking Carter, but the "Well, the Steelers didn't trade up for him so it was the right thing to do" argument is the weirdest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Another thing the Steelers don’t do is draft trouble when they know the possibility. Even AB was not a real issue until they jettisoned him. So yes I do trust they’re not taking Carter.

Another point in Steelers first round is they stuck to an offensive need because I can about guarantee the first 2nd rd Claypool pick will be Joey Porter JR. His dad was steeler royalty for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:31 am 

My mantra for drafting is that I want to draft guys who love football. The Eddie Goldmans of the world always show themselves to be a problem at some point. Carter treats it like a job rather than a profession.

Still, I would have taken him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:36 am 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

There are lots of valid points I have heard to argue the case for trading back and not taking Carter, but the "Well, the Steelers didn't trade up for him so it was the right thing to do" argument is the weirdest.

It's added to the list of reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Wright was #1 on the Bears board at their spot. He said the draft went creepy close to the way they projected. That's interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Nas wrote:
You don't want to bet your career on that guy.

THIS.
Jalen Carter may turn out to have the better NFL career, but Poles has zero stock to take that kind of risk right now...and there is obviously risk there. I really would have been fine with Skoronski, Broderick Jones, or Darnell Wright.

This is the first year in a LONG time I'm not pissed off on draft day. At the very least, Poles made what I consider a reasonable pick and accumulated other picks along the way.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
Wright was #1 on the Bears board at their spot. He said the draft went creepy close to the way they projected. That's interesting.

Every GM says that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ryan Poles has a plan.

Ryan Pace did not.

Ryan Poles stuck to his plan and passed on carter.

Ryan Pace would have drafted him if he was still here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 pm 

I don't believe teams when they say their draft pick was "no 1 on our board." That's standard team propaganda. Poles can't be sitting next to Wright at a press conference and tell the media "we love Wright, he was the second tackle on our board and the fourth player on our board overall." The only time it's actually true is when you're the first pick or maybe when you trade up for a specific guy.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Every GM says that

I don't think Poles is good at lying. Watch the press conference and tell me if you think he's lying. There was even a twinkle in his eye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
It’s not just whether the locker room can handle Carter, but the position the two franchises are in at the moment. Haugh said it best: if Philly takes Carter and it doesn’t work out, it’s not a huge deal. If Poles takes Carter and he’s a bust, jobs are on the line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:54 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
It’s not just whether the locker room can handle Carter, but the position the two franchises are in at the moment. Haugh said it best: if Philly takes Carter and it doesn’t work out, it’s not a huge deal. If Poles takes Carter and he’s a bust, jobs are on the line.

I don't see it that way. I don't see how taking the former consensus-ish no 1 pick at #9 (!) would lead to job losses. The only way it would get people in trouble is if Carter did something horrible again off the field. If he stays clean and just sucks on the field, I don't see how you can fault Poles for drafting someone of Carter's stature at 9. That's great value and the right thing to do, just didn't work out.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Would you trade next year's 2nd to move up tonight? Kinda like what the Bears did with the Patriots years ago. They traded their 2018 4th and their 2019 2nd for the Patriots 2018 2nd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:17 pm 

I think I'd just sit back and take what falls. If it gets close and there is someone they feel they must have, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
good dolphin wrote:
I think I'd just sit back and take what falls. If it gets close and there is someone they feel they must have, maybe.

I'd trade the pick they got from Philly. That's basically free money, and it would make more sense to use it to jump up 3 spots here than use it to draft a special teams TE/LB/nickel back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yep. Poles couldn't take the risk of blowing the number one pick is the draft on a guy who was stupid at the beginning of the entire selection process and gave out obvious warning signs of possibly even being a BUST. None of us know how this turns out but a GM for a team building its way out of deep hole can't afford to screw the number one player in the draft up.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip