It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:25 am 

go ahead and emote here

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:40 am 

gd have you given your real thoughts on this draft anywhere?

Curious what you and dr ken actually think

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
It seems like he reached on the Day 2 defensive tackles because he was unable to find any in last year's draft, last year's free agency, or this year's free agency. For all his planning, he didn't seem to have a plan.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:21 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
It seems like he reached on the Day 2 defensive tackles because he was unable to find any in last year's draft, last year's free agency, or this year's free agency. For all his planning, he didn't seem to have a plan.

I'm looking at the DT drafted after their two guys and I don't see guys who make me think he made obvious misses. There were players I liked more, like Kobie Turner. I think he also missed out on Keanu Benton from Wisconsin, who was taken just a couple of picks before. I think that was their guy and got jumped.

The other kind of strange thing is for all the talk about Eberflus and 3T, Poles puts almost no attention to the position. Neither of the guys he took are classic 3T and there were guys like Turner who were.

I think he would have been far better off moving up a bit from that first pick in round 2 rather than the second pick. Move up just a bit from 53 and they could have had Keion White or Benton, who I think are both much better options than what was left at 53.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:29 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I'm looking at the DT drafted after their two guys and I don't see guys who make me think he made obvious misses. There were players I liked more, like Kobie Turner. I think he also missed out on Keanu Benton from Wisconsin, who was taken just a couple of picks before. I think that was their guy and got jumped.

The other kind of strange thing is for all the talk about Eberflus and 3T, Poles puts almost no attention to the position. Neither of the guys he took are classic 3T and there were guys like Turner who were.

I think he would have been far better off moving up a bit from that first pick in round 2 rather than the second pick. Move up just a bit from 53 and they could have had Keion White or Benton, who I think are both much better options than what was left at 53.

That's a good point about Poles' confusing strategy in moving up to take Stevenson. It should be noted that some analysts, including Brugler, had Dexter rated above Benton. Based on what I've seen and read about both players, I don't understand how that could be the case. Given Dexter's sporadic problems with reaction time, I'm wondering if he suffers from an undiagnosed case of ADHD.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: John's
2nd and 3rd round seems like a bad spot to take defensive tackles. The bust rate seems high. It reminds me of when the Bears under Emery took Ego Furguson and Will Sutton. They both were cut in two years.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Launching Tonga seemed like a bad move at the time and seems even worse now given the current state of the DL.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
2nd and 3rd round seems like a bad spot to take defensive tackles. The bust rate seems high. It reminds me of when the Bears under Emery took Ego Furguson and Will Sutton. They both were cut in two years.

I hear you on this. Neither of those guys are without concern, which seems strange for a second rounder. It's appropriate for 3rd round, which is what Pickens is

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:

The other kind of strange thing is for all the talk about Eberflus and 3T, Poles puts almost no attention to the position. .

It's because there are less 5-6 true three techniques in the NFL. It's an impossible position to find. It's why they could accelerate this rebuild much fast if they ditched this garbage Tampa 2 defense.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The other kind of strange thing is for all the talk about Eberflus and 3T, Poles puts almost no attention to the position. .

It's because there are less 5-6 true three techniques in the NFL. It's an impossible position to find. It's why they could accelerate this rebuild much fast if they ditched this garbage Tampa 2 defense.

...or if they drafted Carter.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:47 am 

And if they could have drafted Carter if they would have spent money they had in free agency and signed a right tackle. If Carter pans out, Poles has to be fired for passing on a player that's impossible to find.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Poles wanted to trade back into a first. That tells me he was eyeing Murphy or Smith. I think he should have paid the price for both. In hindsight, it may have been best to take whatever defender he loved at 10 and got Dewand Jones in the 2nd or 3rd. I think the Browns got a steal.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Poles does things based off ‘traits’ and pie charts rather than tape and production so.. good luck predicting who he’ll draft in general.

The most I can say right now is I don’t like or agree with his philosophy, doesn’t make him wrong but I do think his philosophy comes with tremendous risk.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 am 
100000 CLUB

NME wrote:
Poles does things based off ‘traits’ and pie charts rather than tape and production so.. good luck predicting who he’ll draft in general.

The most I can say right now is I don’t like or agree with his philosophy, doesn’t make him wrong but I do think his philosophy comes with tremendous risk.

I like what they did with Wright before deciding he was their guy. All things being close to equal, I prefer guys who won't fold under pressure over a more naturally gifted guy.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:
NME wrote:

I like what they did with Wright before deciding he was their guy. All things being close to equal, I prefer guys who won't fold under pressure over a more naturally gifted guy.

Wright also has good football on tape too.. but if his tape was bad, and that ‘trying to get him to quit but he wouldn’t’ combined with his decent combine were all that got him drafted.. I’d be worried. And Poles made some of those picks in this draft, guys that were mediocre in college but graded out well.

I liked the Wright pick -I wanted to see them get a tackle with that 1st pick and they did. And, it was a Tackle that played well in the SEC who was projected as a 1st rounder. Paris Johnson was the guy I wanted but he got picked higher than most had him projected so, what can you do?

That said, I wasn’t crazy about the play we got out of Center last year and the Bears passed on a good one in Schmitz. I personally believe they could have grabbed Schmitz and still landed both those DT’s as I doubt they were that high on too many radars. But that’s just speculation on my part.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

After reading/hearing more about Dexter, I feel a little better about that pick. He was asked to "read and react" in college rather than fire off the ball, so that may account for some of his glacial movement at the line. Still, this is purely a "trait-based" selection that places a lot of (unearned) faith in the defensive coaching staff. Between Piccens, Dexter, and Robinson, Poles is putting Eberflus, Williams and the rest of the defensive coaches to quite a test.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Tue May 02, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:41 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
After reading/hearing more about Dexter, I feel a little better about that pick. He was asked to "read and react" in college rather than fire off the ball, so that make account for some of his glacial movement at the line. Still, this is purely a "trait-based" selection that places a lot of (unearned) faith in the defensive coaching staff. Between Piccens, Dexter, and Robinson, Poles is putting Eberflus, Williams and the rest of the defensive coaches to quite a test.

His college position coach was on the score yesterday and he talked about the difference in what they asked him to do compared to what the Bears will. He thought he would really excel at what the Bears wanted. But obviously that is what he is going to say about one of his guys. BUt I agree I feel better.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:00 pm 

I'm shocked his college position coach didn't say outright, "This guy sucks".

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:26 pm 

Even with the different defense, I don't think these guys will be great pass rushers, but at least we may have solved the run stopping problem

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Even with the different defense, I don't think these guys will be great pass rushers, but at least we may have solved the run stopping problem

Eberflus believes that they'll cause problems because MANY of the newer quarterbacks are short. My reading of him is that he doesn't like the picks.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:48 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Eberflus believes that they'll cause problems because MANY of the newer quarterbacks are short. My reading of him is that he doesn't like the picks.

I don't believe him for a second when he minimizes the importance of outside pass rush. We just don't have any.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Tall Midget wrote:

He did "reach" for both of the tackles selected but I think that he almost had to reach because to go after "safer" guys, he would not have been able to draft the offensive help that they also needed for the offense. The two tackles drafted both I think have potential upside possibilities that can prove to be very good. i can understand why he did what he did and we will have to see if it works out for them.

I think though that they had to make a choice between taking a chance on the Georgia 3t tackle or the more sure thing OT that they drafted. Clearly, Poles had a tough choice to make between going offense or defense with their top picks. No King Solomon decision was clear on their choice of what to do.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
good dolphin wrote:

They still have some money and time to bring in some help in the pass rush. I think that Poles isn't quite done yet,

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip