It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The Hawk wrote:
That really is a stupid title for this thread. The loss was due to terrible play calling in the 2nd half and stupid penalties which cost them first downs and cut drives short. It took away from a very good performance by Fields and his receivers. the coaching staff sucks.

None of those things caused a turnover (again) which was immediately returned for 6 points. None of those things cause a backbreaking interception at the end of the game. That's two turnovers st the end of the game that killed any remaining chance of a win.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
What I don't understand is why the game plan seemed to shift midway through the third quarter. Matt Ryan kept calling out that the DBs were getting confused by the crossing routes. It seemed like Getsy went to the run early and Herbert made it look like the right decision. Once the score was 28-21, it seemed like the game plan was runs and screens again. They never went back to what was working. Its like the defense knew the screens were coming and blitzed like hell to get to Fields. The crucial 4th and 1 is also on the coaches. Was that really the best play you could draw up coming out of the timeout?

With that said, Fields cannot throw intentional grounding and cannot throw an interception on that late drive. I'll excuse the fumble, but at the end of the day, that ultimately was the differentiator. Fields couldn't close out a game against a really bad defense, much like he hasn't been able to close out any games in the the last two seasons.