It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Some people are just really good at throwing things.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Some people are just really good at throwing things.
This

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
it's like science and shit....Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:00 pm 

tom brady proved you only need to be athletic enough to juke out brian urlacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:12 pm 

obviously arm length isn't the only factor on every throw. but unlike core or lower body strength, every throw a qb makes they use their arm! (based on watching hours and hours of football, this appears to be true).

But they don't always get to set their feet and windup and twist and shout and put their entire body into their throws. Guys like Mahomes/Stafford/Allen often throw off-balance using only (well, mostly) their arm...apparently their longer arms help with that shit--an advantage that carries over into situations where they do get to set their feet and windup and twist and shout and put their entire body into the throw.

that's why Eberflus had Bagent and Peterman hold up their arms next to each other and compared em before sending in Peterman to fuck up the hail mary attempt:

Peterman 32⅜" (63rd percentile) arm length 9⅞" (71st percentile) hand size

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:24 pm 

I want to measure my arm. From where though?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:37 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:55 pm 

Hussra wrote:

:lol: what program did you get to make up that graphic?

that is like HY commitment to the gimmick.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Who was measured, what was thrown, why am I looking at this basic bar graph…so many questions.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:56 pm 

Let's get in a measuring contest. Come on, whip it out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Parkins saying more stupidity today that Fields will come back as the starter.

Not if Eberfluss wants to keep his job. Why would he play Fields so he loses his job? At least with Tyson he has a chance to keep it.

What do you think Virginia is thinking? Play Tyson. This season is not over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Fields will be the starter. He'll have a short leash if Bagent plays well this week.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:24 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Hussra wrote:

:lol: what program did you get to make up that graphic?

that is like HY commitment to the gimmick.

ChatGPT 4.0 with the DALL-E plugin enabled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:37 pm 

Who was measured, what was thrown, why am I looking at this basic bar graph…so many questions.

like any peer-reviewable scientific hypothesis, the results should be repeatable. if you'd like to recreate the above graph on your own:

1. Get 3 groups of people with arm lengths within the ranges of 30-32 inches, 32-34 inches, 34-36 inches

2. Get a football or other throwable object (but not like a midget or other objects requiring 2 arms to toss)

3. Go to a large space

4. Have the group with 32-34 inch arms throw the ball 100x and record the distance results

5. Repeat step 4 for the people who have arm lengths within the other 2 arm length ranges.

6. Average the results.

7. Compile your results into a CSV file and upload your data to ChatGPT or other AI image generator and voilà

This was a study in the Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, the title was something like Toward a more effective cornholing--arm length and toss distance, is there a relationship? by Evan H. Wank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I'm positive MANY here are aware that when measuring an appendage, you can get a life-saving inch, maybe even an inch and a half, or three-quarters if you can handle some discomfort, of give into the soft tissue surrounding the what is to be measured. So how do we know all those long-armed guys didn't shave their pit hair and jam the yard stick into their armpit area?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 pm 

Hussra wrote:

like any peer-reviewable scientific hypothesis, the results should be repeatable. if you'd like to recreate the above graph on your own:

1. Get 3 groups of people with arm lengths within the ranges of 30-32 inches, 32-34 inches, 34-36 inches

2. Get a football or other throwable object (but not like a midget or other objects requiring 2 arms to toss)

3. Go to a large space

4. Have the group with 32-34 inch arms throw the ball 100x and record the distance results

5. Repeat step 4 for the people who have arm lengths within the other 2 arm length ranges.

6. Average the results.

7. Compile your results into a CSV file and upload your data to ChatGPT or other AI image generator and voilà

This was a study in the Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, the title was something like Toward a more effective cornholing--arm length and toss distance, is there a relationship? by Evan H. Wank

Sounds legit

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I'm positive MANY here are aware that when measuring an appendage, you can get a life-saving inch, maybe even an inch and a half, or three-quarters if you can handle some discomfort, of give into the soft tissue surrounding the what is to be measured. So how do we know all those long-armed guys didn't shave their pit hair and jam the yard stick into their armpit area?

Forget it, hussra is rollin

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's

i think there was a Brady Bunch episode where Bobby was upset about being short and tried hanging from a pull up bar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:20 pm 

Bagels wrote:

i think there was a Brady Bunch episode where Bobby was upset about being short and tried hanging from a pull up bar

Definitely an Andy Griffith episode where Barney did this so he could gain an inch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Definitely an Andy Griffith episode where Barney did this so he could gain an inch.
Hey you kids get outta here! Whats the matter, haven't you ever seen somebody with his head in a harness before?!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:39 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Bagels wrote:

:lol: thats a great one

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Hey you kids get outta here! Whats the matter, haven't you ever seen somebody with his head in a harness before?!

In high school in Chicago back when, we had two varsity teams. 5'9" and under and over 5'9". It was the Catholic league and I don't know if it still exists or not? There were a lot of guys who tried to shrink before they measured them, including myself and stayed up all night and had guys sit or their shoulders. For someguys, they literally "shrunk" a couple of inches.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:29 pm 

I wonder what Doug Flutie's measurables were? He had a cannon for an arm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The same sort of physics would dictate that the taller the golfer, the longer the drive. This is not necessarily true. There are a lot of short guys that can out drive Manute Bol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:27 pm 

Wouldn't the comparison be the longer the golf club the greater distance the shot? ceteris paribus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Hussra wrote:
Wouldn't the comparison be the longer the golf club the greater distance the shot?

Well, the overall length of arm plus club—the longer the farther all else being equal.

Maybe the better comparison is pitchers. While Randy Johnson was 6’7” or something, there are shorter guys that can still throw upper 90s or better. There seems to be a correlation in the data above, but not causal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:48 pm 

length of the lever is def not the only factor in the complex series of actions of a human throwing a projectile. but on average those with longer levers/arms are going to achieve greater distance in their throws than T-Rex arm guys.

you'll always have exceptions/outliers -- guys like Tim Lincecum, who basically jumped off the mound and launched his entire body toward the plate while pitching, delivering velocity competitive with the unit or other longer-armed hurlers.

Tiger Woods could hit a short-stick 9-iron off the tee and out-drive most folks here, but that doesn't mean there isn't an advantage for us (or Tiger) in using the longer sticks off the tee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:05 pm 

I would suggest that someone do a regression analysis on what the most important factors on quarterback throwing distances. Merely comparing arm length to throwing distance is, of course, just a nice bit of information. I'm sure that scouting analysts use regression analysis and other statistical analyses to help find out a quarterbacks throwing ability, right?