It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your ideal situation..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Ok, so I'm pretty settled on a plan I'd like to see carried out here by the beloved -and from the debate going on here the last couple of weeks I think a lot of you are too. So lets lay out our most desirable situations this offseason and our least desirable.

Situation #1 (most desirable)

In my most desirable situation I'd like to see the Bears build the defense more in free agency and use early draft capital to improve the offense. To keep things optimal id prefer they avoid FA's that are too old -so KC's Jones is out being that hes roughly 30 years old (for example).

Draft: Grab future QB Willimas/Maye (or whoever they scout and feel is their guy) at #1. Draft best WR available at #9, trade Fields for future picks which should include a 2nd this year. Draft a Center with that 2nd pick. I'd avoid FA for Center mostly because the options are slim there and one of the better options is coming off a serious knee injury. Besides, I'm a big believer in building thru the draft so go ahead and draft one and let then all grow together.

Free agency: Re-sign Jaylon Johnson, sign Carolinas Brian Burns at DE. Sign a vet QB like Gardner Minshew who can actually play and shouldnt hit the cap too hard. Guys like Cousins and Mayfield are out because theyll be too expensive and are most likely longer term guys. In a guy like Minshew you'll get a solid veteran who can play early, manage games and most likely be a good mentor for the future QB. Some of you may be asking 'what about Bagent?' The issue here is that Bagent is too young to help develop a QB and honestly limited as a QB to begin with. So its better to stick with a vet here that can keep the ship steady while the new QB learns.

Situation #2 (tolerable, but honestly not optional)

Draft: Trade back once or twice for future capital (including a 2nd this year) with Washington and/or NE. Pick Harrison Jr at 3. Grab Jared Verse DE at #9, grab best Center available in the 2nd. Ok, so in this scenario its most likely that they are keeping Fields so at least grabbing a generational play maker in Harrison helps improve the offense even if Fields himself doesn't improve much. The Bears also get needed improvement on the defensive side of the ball with the guy I personally like the most at DE. Overall the Bears get a little better and are most likely now in position to contend yearly for the playoffs.

Free Agency: So WR and DE getting addressed in the draft here leaves the Bears a little bit flexible on what they should do or have to do. They still need to lock up Jaylon, but after that they could stick with grabbing depth and keep their purse flexible for spending next year.

Situation #3 (the worst situation)

Draft: Basically, the Bears trade too far back with their #1 to make much difference on the roster this year thru the draft. In my humble opinion, the Bears have done a solid job adding talent to this roster but outside of Sweat and Moore they mostly lack game changer types. And theyve had to give up high draft capital to do this in the 1st place which washes it a little. They've built up good depth with some players, but having game breakers is crucial to taking the next step. The further back they trade, the less opportunity to grab one of those guys they have.

Free agency: The Bears could chase a few of the WR's that come available here, and maybe still add a guy like Burns to the mix so theres a possibility that the team could see great improvement going this route, but its a roll of the dice to assume they can land enough to make that impact. And again, keep in mind, they need to sign Jaylon which puts a dent in their flexibility going this route.

The big issue here is it kicks the can down the road another year. Sure you add huge draft capital -again- but theres no guarantee the Bears wind up at the top of the draft again with the same opportunities at generational talents like Williams and Harrison Jr -as I've pointed out in the past, generational talent isn't even in every draft.

Alright, so there it is. My scenarios and why I feel theyre ideal or not. Thoughts? Also, I'd like to see the scenarios many of you would and wouldn't like to see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Caller Bob is revealed as a Score on air host.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pm 

denisdman wrote:

If you were a betting man, which host would he be..?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Scenario 3 seems the safe, uninspired choice that could vault the beloved back to a cuspy playoff team that won’t win anything.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:40 pm 

I like option 1, but I will say I am not sure having a rookie QB and a rookie center at the same time is really wise. Those are two crucial positions. I would be more inclined to draft a guy but also bring in someone via FA to work in that spot.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Deni$ is finally arrested by the Wisconsin Department of Child Protective Services

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:52 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I like option 1, but I will say I am not sure having a rookie QB and a rookie center at the same time is really wise. Those are two crucial positions. I would be more inclined to draft a guy but also bring in someone via FA to work in that spot.

I kind of like it. If they’re good, they grow together like Saturday & Manning.

If they’re bad, then the Bears suck and ruined them both.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:05 pm 

NME wrote:
denisdman wrote:

If you were a betting man, which host would he be..?

Based on his preference, Mike Murphy. So former host.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:05 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Deni$ is finally arrested by the Wisconsin Department of Child Protective Services

For dating a 27 year old. Great wish today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:07 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I kind of like it. If they’re good, they grow together like Saturday & Manning.

If they’re bad, then the Bears suck and ruined them both.

Manning started in 98. Saturday didn't start game for the Colts until 2000. Also I did not know that Saturday was an undrafted FA.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
NME wrote:

Draft: Grab future QB Willimas/Maye (or whoever they scout and feel is their guy) at #1. Draft best WR available at #9, trade Fields for future picks which should include a 2nd this year.

Why do you need to waste a 1st round pick on a WR?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:31 pm 

Cashman wrote:
NME wrote:

Draft: Grab future QB Willimas/Maye (or whoever they scout and feel is their guy) at #1. Draft best WR available at #9, trade Fields for future picks which should include a 2nd this year.

I don’t know that they need to but..

Puts a young talented WR that he can grow with on a similar time table 2nd contract wise to go along with a great vet in Moore. The Bengals did something similar with Chase and Burrow (tho they actually played together in college) but still.

That, and I think they need to add more playmakers in general so taking one of the top-3 WR’s in this class to go along with your new QB makes sense.

Also, I have them addressing defense in free agency and offense thru the draft to maximize resources in that scenario so you get a new QB, new WR, and new OL (Center) all in one shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:39 pm 

RFDC wrote:

I’d bring in a vet QB to start -I mentioned Minshew as my example for this. So, basically I’d probably like to see the new QB sit for a season or at least a little while. And if the Bears bring in a competent game manager like Minshew along with some additions thru the draft and free agency the Bears most likely make a playoff run leaning on their defense that 1st year meaning no ones job would be in immediate danger. In theory

Also, it’s worth noting (as I did in the OP) that this years FA crop at Center isn’t very optimal as the best guy available (from the Dolphins) is coming off a serious knee injury and the options after him aren’t as desirable (IMO) as some of the top rookies. So, to some extent circumstance dictates the moves they make here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I’d bring in a vet QB to start -I mentioned Minshew as my example for this. So, basically I’d probably like to see the new QB sit for a season or at least a little while. And if the Bears bring in a competent game manager like Minshew along with some additions thru the draft and free agency the Bears most likely make a playoff run leaning on their defense that 1st year meaning no ones job would be in immediate danger. In theory

Also, it’s worth noting (as I did in the OP) that this years FA crop at Center isn’t very optimal as the best guy available (from the Dolphins) is coming off a serious knee injury and the options after him aren’t as desirable (IMO) as some of the top rookies. So, to some extent circumstance dictates the moves they make here.

If you can get Minshew on a 3yr reasonable deal, I think you bypass drafting a QB with the #1 pick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I don't think drafting Williams then sitting him is plausible. He's got Luck/Manning/Lawrence level hype behind him so the expectation from his camp and general fandom would he starts day 1.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Cashman wrote:
NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If you can get Minshew on a 3yr reasonable deal, I think you bypass drafting a QB with the #1 pick.

How much does it cost for an ounce?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
I don't think drafting Williams then sitting him is plausible. He's got Luck/Manning/Lawrence level hype behind him so the expectation from his camp and general fandom would he starts day 1.

The Bears should have more than enough talent around C-Will for him to be successful in Year 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:10 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Yeah there is no way he comes in and sits.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 am 

NME wrote:
Cashman wrote:
NME wrote:

I don’t know that they need to but..

Puts a young talented WR that he can grow with on a similar time table 2nd contract wise to go along with a great vet in Moore. The Bengals did something similar with Chase and Burrow (tho they actually played together in college) but still.

That, and I think they need to add more playmakers in general so taking one of the top-3 WR’s in this class to go along with your new QB makes sense.

Also, I have them addressing defense in free agency and offense thru the draft to maximize resources in that scenario so you get a new QB, new WR, and new OL (Center) all in one shot.

The early talent in the draft seems to be all on the offensive side. Maybe that opens them up to the top defensive talent at 9. I think they have to be versatile at that pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:09 am 

anyway, Minshew is going to get a nice payday.

That reasonable veteran backup is going to be someone like Dobbs or Tyrod. Are either really a better option than Bagent for the money?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:24 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

That reasonable veteran backup is going to be someone like Dobbs or Tyrod. Are either really a better option than Bagent for the money?

No, they aren't. Bagent will be the backup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:35 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We were given a gift with Bagent as a low cost guy who could adequately be the backup. Accept the gift graciously. Bears will probably have the least amount of money dedicated to the QB position in the league.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We were given a gift with Bagent as a low cost guy who could adequately be the backup. Accept the gift graciously. Bears will probably have the least amount of money dedicated to the QB position in the league.

About $10M a year for the next 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:50 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It’s not ideal to have a 2nd year QB with very little experience mentor your franchise rookie QB. I suppose Peterman could be kept around but I don’t see the point there either as he has almost no real experience.

Minshew is a career journeyman who’s mostly been a backup but does have valuable starting experience and can manage games -that’s why I suggested him. It doesn’t have to be him but I disagree that he gets a big long term deal from anyone. He’s not much more than a placeholder.

It’s true Williams/Maye have the talent to start right away but I’m leaning towards letting the kid sit this time around. It worked for Mahomes, and the Bears mostly bypassed that option with both Mitch and Justin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:53 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

The early talent in the draft seems to be all on the offensive side. Maybe that opens them up to the top defensive talent at 9. I think they have to be versatile at that pick.

I disagree with this if we’re talking about scenario #1. The Bears defense doesn’t need much more, landing Burns in FA and resigning Johnson while using your early picks on offense with players that can grow together is the smarter play imo. It’s better value too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Sammy's
The whole mentor a young Bears quarterback makes me LOL, we’re talking about Gardner Minschew, not Aaron Rodgers. Just throw whoever in there and hope for the best. The Bears have never had anyone who should mentor a young QB, and they still don’t. Fields could mentor a young guy on how to be a decent human being and good leader, and that’s about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

crayphish wrote:
The whole mentor a young Bears quarterback makes me LOL, we’re talking about Gardner Minschew, not Aaron Rodgers. Just throw whoever in there and hope for the best. The Bears have never had anyone who should mentor a young QB, and they still don’t. Fields could mentor a young guy on how to be a decent human being and good leader, and that’s about it.

Most of the "mentors" still want another shot at starting AND they probably didn't have a similar style of play as the kid they're mentoring. The Bears have a QB coach and an entire offensive staff available to help Caleb. They don't need to give a veteran Bagents' job. They can use that money to fill other holes. Hire Alex Smith as a consultant if the kid needs more assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:05 pm 

crayphish wrote:

The idea of mentoring is also about having a competent veteran QB on the field as a placeholder while the rookie adjusts and other players develop like rookie WR’s and a rookie Center. Scoffing at the idea of doing this is odd when it’s been done with success in the past -a recent example being Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith for a season. It’s not some bizarre foreign concept.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:16 pm 

Nas wrote:
crayphish wrote:

Most of the "mentors" still want another shot at starting AND they probably didn't have a similar style of play as the kid they're mentoring. The Bears have a QB coach and an entire offensive staff available to help Caleb. They don't need to give a veteran Bagents' job. They can use that money to fill other holes. Hire Alex Smith as a consultant if the kid needs more assistance.

I’m not going to say it’s necessary -but its a break from the path they took with Mitch and Justin. Both were pushed into starting pretty early on in their rookie seasons. If the Bears make the move to draft a QB at #1 I want it to have as much a chance at success as possible -and following a blueprint that helped develop a guy like Mahomes isn’t the worst idea.

For the record I don’t believe the Bears will bring in a vet like this anyway if they draft Williams or Maye. So it’s more food for thought than anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:19 pm 

They tried the mentor path with Glennon and Dalton.

I tend to think the guys should play immediately.