It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Hester definitely belongs in. Any player that dominates their position over the course of their career belongs in. His work as a receiver is meaningless in this discussion. It would be like saying a QB shouldnt be in because they did not have enough rushing yards or tackles
Should Mike Vick be in the HOF? He was the best running quarterback of all time. Should we ignore that he wasn't a great passer?

I get there is a position called Kick Returner but it is pretty much just players from other positions also playing it.

So it's not that you don't think Hester belongs in the hall, more like you don't think the position should be in the hall.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:32 pm 

Darkside wrote:
So it's not that you don't think Hester belongs in the hall, more like you don't think the position should be in the hall.
That's not too far off. I don't think every position should be a lock for it. I don't think the best punt team gunner should be in the HOF either. I don't think the best field goal/extra point LT should be in the HOF either.

I just can't help but look at Devin Hester and think that there were at least 20 other similar players you'd rather have over him every single year and that isn't including quarterbacks or running backs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
That's not too far off. I don't think every position should be a lock for it. I don't think the best punt team gunner should be in the HOF either. I don't think the best field goal/extra point LT should be in the HOF either.

I just can't help but look at Devin Hester and think that there were at least 20 other similar players you'd rather have over him every single year and that isn't including quarterbacks or running backs.

Why not just do offense, defense, and ST wings? Any significant special teamer can/should deserve consideration as a special teamer.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:39 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Why not just do offense, defense, and ST wings? Any significant special teamer can/should deserve consideration as a special teamer.

you want dudes wearing dresses teaching your kids too?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:40 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Because outside of kicker/punter and sometimes long snapper they all are just players from other positions except in rare circumstances where a player is so good at ST but not good at playing on anything else.

I'm not saying I'm right in how I am looking at it either. However, if Tyreek Hill retired right now, he would not be in the HOF but Devin Hester would be. If Tyreek Hill had instead ONLY done kick and punt returns he likely would be in the HOF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
turn Fields into a kick returner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:24 pm 

Bagels wrote:
turn Fields into a kick returner

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:53 pm 

No because Vick did not dominate his position over the course of his career.

Hester did.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
RFDC wrote:

Hester did.

And as Biggs' article argues, the game changed as a result.

BB wrote:
“My argument for him is how he changed the game,” said Kansas City Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, who held that title with the Bears from 2004 through 2012. “They always talk about Hall of Fame guys, how they changed the game. He definitely changed the game. After Devin came into the league, everybody had to have a returner. Everyone wanted a guy like that because that is how we won games. We won games on defense and special teams. We proved you could do that.

“Everybody had to get a returner and then they had to get cover guys. Teams started getting guys for their roster that could run and tackle in space where their job was to cover kicks. Gunners became real important and then the emphasis on the kickers. They had to get better. They had to kick better. They had to get stronger legs so they could kick touchbacks. They had to get a better variety of kicks. There was a whole shift of personnel because you didn’t have big guys running down on kickoffs anymore.”

Kickers had to be more precise with their placement. They risked a costly penalty if an effort to pin the ball near the sideline rolled out of bounds. Punters had to be far more careful. Longtime special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, who worked for the Bears in 2013-14, said he directed his punters to kick short to Hester, which set up the offense with better field position. The theory was there was less space for the coverage team to travel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:

You're splitting these positional classifications too fine. If you want to employ that logic you can work your way into insane places for just about any position. Mark Buehrle isn't a starting pitcher, he's a crafty, a soft-tossing, left handed, starting pitcher. Therefore, since he was one of the best of those in his generation he belongs in the Hall.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
a genius wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Hester did.

BB wrote:
“My argument for him is how he changed the game,” said Kansas City Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, who held that title with the Bears from 2004 through 2012. “They always talk about Hall of Fame guys, how they changed the game. He definitely changed the game. After Devin came into the league, everybody had to have a returner. Everyone wanted a guy like that because that is how we won games. We won games on defense and special teams. We proved you could do that.

“Everybody had to get a returner and then they had to get cover guys. Teams started getting guys for their roster that could run and tackle in space where their job was to cover kicks. Gunners became real important and then the emphasis on the kickers. They had to get better. They had to kick better. They had to get stronger legs so they could kick touchbacks. They had to get a better variety of kicks. There was a whole shift of personnel because you didn’t have big guys running down on kickoffs anymore.”

Kickers had to be more precise with their placement. They risked a costly penalty if an effort to pin the ball near the sideline rolled out of bounds. Punters had to be far more careful. Longtime special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, who worked for the Bears in 2013-14, said he directed his punters to kick short to Hester, which set up the offense with better field position. The theory was there was less space for the coverage team to travel.

In terms of changing the game, they literally eliminated a phase of a football game due to Devin Hester.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
All deserving imo. They said on the radio that Mongo is still in the top-10 or something like that amongst interior linemen for sacks -that’s crazy if it’s true.

Hester deserves it after dominating his position and pretty much unanimously being considered the best of all time by his peers.

Peppers is a no brainer, one of the greatest DE’s ever. He wasn’t just a sack guy either, he could dominate against the run too. Was one of the best ‘multiplier’ type players I’ve watched as well. Great to see him in there. Also one of the great ‘freak’ athletes of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Caller Bob wrote:
a genius wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Hester did.

BB wrote:

In terms of changing the game, they literally eliminated a phase of a football game due to Devin Hester.

Was it really due to him, or was it more one of the early attempts to reduce injuries on kickoffs?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:22 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
You're splitting these positional classifications too fine. If you want to employ that logic you can work your way into insane places for just about any position. Mark Buehrle isn't a starting pitcher, he's a crafty, a soft-tossing, left handed, starting pitcher. Therefore, since he was one of the best of those in his generation he belongs in the Hall.
That's one of my points. I don't think we should judge Hester as a punt/kick returner alone given so much of the equal competition he would have had ended up choosing to not do that because it isn't nearly as valuable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Brick wrote:
In terms of impact to the team, the Bears would have traded him for 20 other WRs in the NFL straight up even at his peak.

Why didn't they?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:
In terms of impact to the team, the Bears would have traded him for 20 other WRs in the NFL straight up even at his peak.

Why didn't they?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:

Why didn't they?

The other team would have to agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Caller Bob wrote:
a genius wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Hester did.

BB wrote:

Yeah, the NFL wants lower scores and to eliminate exciting plays. It was in response to the concussion lawsuit you dolt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I didn't love watching the switch to the higher scoring offenses. I missed the good defensive plays.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:

Why didn't they?

Lovie is a fool, he thought Hester was a #1 WR...paid him to be one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 pm 

312player wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:

Why didn't they?

No he did not. Nobody did. He was going to be paid some ridiculous number and they wanted him to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. But Lovie was no fool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Lovie was a dipshit, he looked at hester as a son and wanted him to get more touches on a weak offense. That's why numbnuts hired and fired 3 or 4 offense coordinator in his tenure. He didn't know fuckall about offense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Hall of Bears is a great museum.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:38 am 

312player wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:

Why didn't they?

Why are your thoughts always so terrible?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:52 am 

Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
That's one of my points. I don't think we should judge Hester as a punt/kick returner alone given so much of the equal competition he would have had ended up choosing to not do that because it isn't nearly as valuable.

That's like saying the_hawk shouldn't be considered an idiot because he was born with a silver spoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

That's like saying the_hawk shouldn't be considered an idiot because he was born with a silver spoon

Silver spoon?

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Returner is a legitimate position, gunner isn't. There are three positions on a kickoff/punt: guy kicking the ball, guy returning the ball, special teams guy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Brick finding out Devin Hester is in the HOF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
The Hawk wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Silver spoon?

Yeah, he got the silver spoon part wrong..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Devin Hester had the almost unworldly ability to go from zero to top speed in an instant, if you watch his TD returns there is always an instant where he makes a cut and for a 10-15 yard span he almost seems to be going 2-3 times faster than everyone else, and the everyone else consists of guys that are former state champion level sprinters.

When you read high school scouting stuff, they have guys in the "Athlete" category, dudes that are faster and everyone else so they are expected to excel at the next level purely due to their rare genetic traits which allow them to run faster and jump higher than everyone else, Hester would be at the top of that category.

He certainly helped the Lovie era Bears win 2-3 more games or more per season, so do you put guys in the HOF that have incredible impacts on games for a 3–5-year period?

They often say football is a three-phase game with offense, defense, and special teams, so you almost have to put in a guy that has a game changing impact on 1/3 of the game.