It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
RR, 684-2222 is too expensive...there's another place on 79th and Marquette, much better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 pm 

Nas wrote:
Can't really disagree with you after the season he is having. I'm not going to blame the coaching staff like others are willing to do. It's pretty obvious that he is having a terrible season and everyone wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. Beyond the interceptions he has made some terrible throws to guys that were wide open. He had time to pass last night too. So far this season he is the worst QB the Bears have had in the past 4 seasons. At some point you have to stop blaming the lack of talent around him and start looking at what he is doing. Franchise guys get it done regardless of the talent and he hasn't. If it's the pressure of the trade getting to him that makes it even worse IMO. Looks like a taller version of Grossman with mobility. Sid Luckman is more powerful than the Billy Goat.

would you be saying this if mcnabb was here, doing this badly? :wink: :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm 

spmack wrote:
RR, 684-2222 is too expensive...there's another place on 79th and Marquette, much better in my opinion.

Marghuerita's (sp.?) too often tastes a bit cardboard-y. Plus I've been a regular at the other place for 35 years now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Regular Reader wrote:
spmack wrote:

Marghuerita's (sp.?) too often tastes a bit cardboard-y. Plus I've been a regular at the other place for 35 years now

Well you know I'm not choosey when it comes to Pizza....as you can see I'm a fan of Little Caesers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:06 am 

spmack wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
spmack wrote:

Well you know I'm not choosey when it comes to Pizza....as you can see I'm a fan of Little Caesers.

That they put one on the corner of 79th & Exchange would have made you giddy :lol: when you still lived in around the way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:00 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

a regular reader for how many of those years? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:07 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Shit, how many of the Bears' receivers don't even know how to finish routes properly? Knox, Bennett, Olson: their fuck-ups have led to interceptions several times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou to go.
Jay is our quarterback.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Calling him a franchise QB is officially over after last night. He isn't. He may be one day but he isn't now. A franchise QB doesn't totally destroy any chance your team has to beat a bad team with an inept QB. A franchise QB doesn't lead the league in interceptions by far. A franchise QB knows how to work with his offensive talent or lack therof instead of trying to throw it down the field into double coverage when your WR isn't the type of player that can take it out over multiple defenders.

We can argue individual plays and discount some of his interceptions. This happens to every QB. Sometimes interceptions just aren't your fault but over the course of a season a clear pattern has emerged. If our WR's suck, and we all know they suck, then I would guess that Jay Cutler knows they suck. If Jay knows they suck then stop expecting them to make great plays to break up your interceptions! Even some of those picks that were the "receivers fault" he was still covered. The WR didn't help Jay but when you throw it to a covered WR you need to have a reasonable expectation that your receiver can beat the defender. It's not like these are passes going through hands and tipped in the air. This is a WR covered who was unable to save Cutler by batting down a ball that was thrown to a covered player.

This inconsistency has been true his whole career. It drove people in Denver crazy. It leads to a lot of .500 seasons. I bet Cutler has a great game next week. Then everyone will proclaim that he is awesome and will be awesome in the future. We'll then see this again and again and again. To be honest, I don't think this is fixable just like it wasn't with Rex Grossman. Jay Cutler has no desire to only take what the defense gave him. If he did, Forte would have had 250 yards receiving last night and we win. Instead, he needs to throw it longer.

The other problem is that Jay Cutler is paid as a franchise QB. He was traded for a bunch of valuable picks. We need him to be great because our team is being built around him. There are at least 10 QB's in the league right now who I'd rather have and probably 20 QB's in the league right now playing better.

Jay Cutler is not a franchise QB. He may be one day but he isn't there right now.

At least he has a strong arm though!

Can't really disagree with you after the season he is having. I'm not going to blame the coaching staff like others are willing to do. It's pretty obvious that he is having a terrible season and everyone wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. Beyond the interceptions he has made some terrible throws to guys that were wide open. He had time to pass last night too. So far this season he is the worst QB the Bears have had in the past 4 seasons. At some point you have to stop blaming the lack of talent around him and start looking at what he is doing. Franchise guys get it done regardless of the talent and he hasn't. If it's the pressure of the trade getting to him that makes it even worse IMO. Looks like a taller version of Grossman with mobility. Sid Luckman is more powerful than the Billy Goat.

Thank you Rick, and Nas. The contortions that people will make to defend Jay Cutler are hilarious at this point. You get stone soup defenses "boy, when everything is 'fixed' around him, he'll be great, I swear!" You get excuses. You get statements to the effect that 17 interceptions really isn't that bad. Everyone is at fault except poor Jay. Well, maybe you'll have a "I'm not saying Jay Cutler is perfect" line, but then you'll rattle off a bunch of crap that absolves him of any responsibility.

Guess what: Kyle Orton had worse receivers last year. He had an O-line that was just as bad last year. And he had far fewer mistakes. This isn't a defense of Orton, but it is a statement that if you are going to give up two 1st round picks, you need a marked increase in ability. That hasn't happened, and you are now accumulating a full data set that suggests this trade may have been a huge mistake.

Because we're still in the savior-worship stage, some of you will never admit that. And the jury is still out, to be sure. But the defenses of Cutler (which I just misspelled "Culter," in a Freudian slip), at this point, are becoming further and further detached from reality. It may simply be that those of us, including myself, who thought this would be a tremendous trade were simply wrong. And not only have you traded QBs, but you've given up a means of plugging holes in all the other areas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:25 pm 

you really like that stone soup analogy don't you? :wink: heh i like it too.

good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 pm 

I'm jealous from watching the youtube video where Drew Brees hits an Olympic target in the exact middle ten times in a row from twenty yards away. It's not fair.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:27 pm 

This is the video, for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVoqA-LKGb4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
As I drank my coffee this morning and was glad I could spend a Sunday without being hopeful/angry/depressed, I thought to myself, "What if the trade for Jay Cutler turns out to be a complete failure?" Would this cripple the franchise for years to come?

I mean, how thoroughly did the Bears scout Cutler? Did they hear his name and make an offer immediately? Were there other teams behind the scenes vying for Cutler as well? I admit I became excited because Boers and Bernstein told me to. I never watched Cutler play in Denver and did not know how "great" he was.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown and I believe (right or wrong) Cutler thinks he must play recklessly to prove he is worth his contract and that he is not another version of Kyle Orton (managing the game) with a more powerful arm. I think he feels he must make every throw because playing conservatively is not his style (yet) and that the Chicago Meatballs (media included) would not approve.

These are the only reasons I can offer for his poor play. The other alternative makes me sick to my stomach and I am in complete denial that he is just average at best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Explain why Cutler is solely to blame for the Atlanta loss.
He threw for 300 yards and two touchdowns. Yes, he had two picks -- one in the red zone. Didn't someone else fumble on the goal line? How 'bout that great defense??? He's to blame for the false start on fourth and short in the fourth quarter.
Also, Jay throws for 277 yards against Green Bay and 307 against San Francisco, but he deserves all of the blame for those losses.
You can't have it both ways. He helped lead drives that led to points in both games, which kept the game close. He's not Rex. Even with the picks, Cutler still seems to make plays.
He played a part in the losses. The defense deserves no blame in the Green Bay and S.F. losses? Please! Blown coverages, offsides penalties, poor tackling.
The Bears are mediocre. I just believe the blame needs to be shared.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
the defense cant be blamed even slightly for the sf loss. You can blame vasher for the gb loss but that's mostly on cutler too. You cant give credit to cutler for putting points on the board because a qb isn't supposed to get shutout. You're the first one i've heard praise a qb that led his team to 6 points, 5 picks, and pitile handedly took as many points off the board as he helped put up. Considering how bad he has played in the 3 losses i dont get why you wouldn't agree they win at least 2 of those 3 games with one the best qbs in the league

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't know who will be killed first, Aaron Rodgers or Jay Cutler. Watching GB is almost like watching the Bears. Dumb penalties, a QB running for his life, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:54 pm 

gb definitely puts the offensive in an offensive line.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Quote:
He had an O-line that was just as bad last year.

Absolutely not. If that were the case, the running game would be better, and Cutler would not have thrown the ball 52 times in a 4 point/1 posession game.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
the defense cant be blamed even slightly for the sf loss. You can blame vasher for the gb loss but that's mostly on cutler too. You cant give credit to cutler for putting points on the board because a qb isn't supposed to get shutout. You're the first one i've heard praise a qb that led his team to 6 points, 5 picks, and pitile handedly took as many points off the board as he helped put up. Considering how bad he has played in the 3 losses i dont get why you wouldn't agree they win at least 2 of those 3 games with one the best qbs in the league

The defense had three offsides penalties. One negated a long INT return. Gore ran for over 100 yard and averaged 4-plus yards a carry. They allowed a six-minute drive in the fourth quarter. Hardly a stone-wall effort.
The INT that led to S.F.'s lone touchdown was on the Hester fall. 100 percent blame for Cutler???? He played a part in 90-plus percent of their offensive output -- in yardage.
Everyone else appears to be absolved of their errors -- except Jay.
As for the third loss, you're talking about the Atlanta game? That's truly absurd. Missed defensive assignments led directly to two Falcons' TDs, Forte fumbled twice at the goal line, Orlando Pace is flagged for a penalty on a fourth-quarter fourth-and-short play.
But Jay's two picks -- one in the red zone -- is the ONLY REASON the team lost. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

He is the "franchise QB" so regardless of how good or bad he plays, the My Favorite Poster and Hero and Ricks are going to nitpik at everything they possibly can. Certainly Cutler needs to play better, everybody on the team does. The bad defense and all of the penalties says a lot more about this team than 17 INTs does.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 pm 

:lol: :lol: He has 17 INTs. That's not nitpicking. He's on pace to throw 30 interceptions. If his nameplate said "Grossman" instead of "Cutler" there'd be 14 Caleb Hanie threads in this section right now. But he's the next savior. For now.

The lengths to which some of you will go to avoid saying that you might have been wrong. "17 interceptions is bad, but the Bears were offsides three times!!!" Come on. He's playing terribly. When the facts on the ground change, I change my opinions. I suggest you do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
This is simple: Jay Cutler is still the same Pro Bowler (not that type of bowler, Murph) he was last year. He just needs to play better. And the people around him need to play better.

That was easy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
He is the "franchise QB" so regardless of how good or bad he plays, the My Favorite Poster and Hero and Ricks are going to nitpik at everything they possibly can. Certainly Cutler needs to play better, everybody on the team does. The bad defense and all of the penalties says a lot more about this team than 17 INTs does.

At the end of the season last year, I was on record stating that if Kyle Orton did not have a significant statistical improvement from the 2008 season that I would call for him to be replaced. I can say with 100% certainty that if Orton had these numbers that I would be calling for him to be benched right now. The same is true for Rex Grossman who ironically enough I always was told that I'm simply biased because he's not a Purdue guy.

There are a lot of terrible teams out there. Nearly 1/3rd of the league is worse than the Bears even if you take out the QB position. You can't tell me that Washington is that much better than the Bears that a supposedly inferior Jason Campbell can outperform Cutler. The funny thing is that Campbell is likely to be replaced within the next year. Matt Cassel, who no one thinks is any good, and is playing on a team that isn't any good, is outplaying Cutler. Kerry Collins, playing on a terrible team not going anywhere has been replaced and his career may be over. Oh yeah, he was a pro bowl player last year too. Let's throw in David Garrard too who is outplaying Cutler on a worse team.

I'm not nitpicking everything I can. I'm speaking in reality and giving honest assessments that a majority of people would believe. You seem to ignore nearly all reality on this. Jay Cutler is playing closer to Matthew Stafford than he is a top ten QB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 am 

So, in other words... Jay needs to play better?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 am 

Chris in St. Charles wrote:

No. The point is that Jay Cutler needs to change how he plays like I said all along. This is not a slump. This is not an aberration. This is the reason that Josh McDaniels had no faith in Jay Cutler. This is why he tried to trade for the less talented Cassel and then traded for the less talented Kyle Orton + a bunch of draft picks. His flaws are being highlighted here or they were hidden with Brandon Marshall but they are still there. That's the funny thing. Everyone credits Brandon Marshall for making Kyle Orton look like an above average QB. Maybe Brandon Marshall made Jay Cutler look much better than he is?

This is the point of this whole thing. This isn't a temporary problem that will solve itself by Jay "playing better". It is a fundamental flaw in his game that will continue to keep Cutler from being a "franchise QB".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

If its such a fundamental flaw, why isn't Lovie on his ass to correct it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:53 am 

Jay had a great season last year, even if he had flaws. He should just play like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

Chris in St. Charles wrote:

No, I think he is saying that "17 interceptions is not good!"

And here all along, I thought it was! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 am 

Agreed. I would prefer if Cutler hadn't thrown 17 INTs so far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next