It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 pm 

Ok, you just stated that the Bears are playing well in 2 out of 3 aspects of the game of football. So if that is true, then how can they have looked horrible this year so far?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
From memory because I'm lazy they've played everybody well except Green Bay wasn't great, Seattle was bad, Redskins okay. Green Bay might be the best team they've faced and they should have played Seattle and Wash better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:29 pm 

:lol: You are right spaulding, it might not be logic.

They are playing well, but still look horrible. :lol:

That's ok, I still love you.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 pm 

:thumleft:

The offense no gouda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 pm 

Pitchers and catchers report in 88 days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 pm 

I dislike baseball more than Lovie. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm 

I don't like Lovie either but baseball's off season is SO much more bearable (no pun intended) when the Bears are winning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 am 

As has already been mentioned, everything Lovie has done in 7 years here has to be weighed against the piss-poor talent he has been given by his GM. Anyone who knows the NFL will tell you, the great teams (hell even the good teams) year after year, are the ones that build themselves consistently through the draft. Jerry Angelo sucks, and sucks real, real bad, at drafting. You simply must consider that very strongly when evaluating Lovie.

And despite that, he is over .500. Also realize that he compiled much of that .500+ record without any QB at all to speak of, and some would argue 30+ INTs into the Jay Cutler era that he still doesn't have one. Name the other NFL teams that are .500+ the last 7 years without a star QB.

I would also say, contrary to Spaulding's opinion, that Lovie's strongest suit is his teams' preparation and motivation. I haven't seen a game yet in these 7 years where the team quit.

Yes there are in-game decisions that make you scratch your head, but if we're being honest about it, that's something you see with the majority of coaches around the league.

As to the Superbowl loss, Ron Rivera can go couch himself, because the defensive scheme is not what lost that game. The offense, well, essentially Rex, pissed down his pants-leg and lost that game. How many points did you want the D to hold the Colts to? And without Tommy Harris in there?

Just imagine this 2010 team alone with an additional true #1 draft pick playing to his potential on each side of the ball. They'd be on the road to a first-round bye.

And.... AND... Answer me THIS: IF Lovie Smith killed a spider, intentionally, after having a few beers, and felt no remorse, does that make him better or worse than da kooooaaaaaaaccchhhhh???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Let us consider a few thinks before giving lovie a new contract.

1. This team, unlike almost every team in the league has been a model of health this year. The only real major injury was Jay's 1 missed game for the concussion. Usually its the other way around and the bears lose half of their starters for the season.

2. Buffalo game. Have 2 weeks against 2 injury decimated offenses changed everyone's opinions that much? Now don't get me wrong, the Bears have played good games instead of the shit games they played against Carolina and Buffalo and won, but the Vikings and Dolphins both looked completely awful on offense.

3. Allow the next 6 weeks against competitive opponents to play out before judging lovie.

4. Enjoy the positive outcomes and the 7 wins so far, but wait until the off season to contemplate extending him and don't let 2 good games impair your judgement.

Last edited by Urlacher's missing neck on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:10 am 
1000 CLUB

I vote to send them out to pasture. Keep Dave Toub, and that's it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Let us consider a few thinks before giving lovie a new contract.

1. This team, unlike almost every team in the league has been a model of health this year. The only real major injury was Jay's 1 missed game for the concussion. Usually its the other way around and the bears lose half of their starters for the season.

Right, that's what people aren't giving credit for when they talk about how healthy the Bears are this year. That's fine, but if you don't give credit to Lovie this year because of that, then you have to give him a pass for last year losing Urlacher for 15.5 games and not having a healthy Tommy Harris, and in past years losing Mike Brown all the time, and having to sub with Krenzel and Burris et. al. Most winning teams in a given year have been lucky in the injury department. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
2. Buffalo game. Have 2 weeks against 2 injury decimated offenses changed everyone's opinions that much? Now don't get me wrong, the Bears have played good games instead of the shit games they played against Carolina and Buffalo and won, but the Vikings and Dolphins both looked completely awful on offense.

3. Allow the next 6 weeks against competitive opponents to play out before judging lovie.

4. Enjoy the positive outcomes and the 7 wins so far, but wait until the off season to contemplate extending him and don't let 2 good games impair your judgement.

Right, I'm not going to judge him on the previous 3 games, nor will I judge him on the next 6. He's been here for 6+ years. This is like when Jim Hendry, mid-season in year 4 of the Dusty Baker era, said he needed to continue to evaluate him. There's enough body of work here already. Although I will say, I think Lovie has improved as a coach this year, probably due to desperation as has been noted. But maybe he can learn from what he's done this year compared to previous years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I like the cut of your jib, 24_Guy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:53 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
or the Saints with Sean Payton.

i never did either; and he had some calls in that game that, had they not worked out, would have been considered incredibly idiotic rather than "gutsy". i still get queasy when i think of that onside kick.

the thing is, head coaches get too much blame and too much credit a lot of the time. remember that barry effin' switzer has a super bowl ring.

lovie's a hard person to like. but that's separate from how good of a coach he is. in-game i think he makes some costly mistakes. but i think he's good at keeping his team together.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I like trying to read Lovie's facial expressions when they show him on the sidelines.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 pm 

Just to throw an assist to the damsel in distress: if the Bears are well prepared, why have the looked so inept so often in the first quarter of games? If teams script the first 15 plays, it would seen Lovie has been outprepared by such luminaries as Phillips.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:20 pm 

The question about firing is moot. The Bears will certainly keep him until the labor unrest ends, which means he is back if he chooses.

I wouldn't extend him.

8 years is an eternity for a head coach. Ditka was here for 10. is Lovie the kind if coach that deserves a decade on this job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

He makes dumb decisions and his teams are sometimes ill-prepared at best. I do not think he has ever 'lost' his team though. There must be something he does right because I get the feeling that his teams respect the hell out of him and that they have never quit on him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:59 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
He makes dumb decisions and his teams are sometimes ill-prepared at best. I do not think he has ever 'lost' his team though. There must be something he does right because I get the feeling that his teams respect the hell out of him and that they have never quit on him.

He NEVER rips players. EVER. They love that.

But I find it difficult to argue with his record.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
He makes dumb decisions and his teams are sometimes ill-prepared at best.

Don't you think that this can be said about every coach who has ever walked the NFL sidelines? Sometimes you just miss.

Quote:
I do not think he has ever 'lost' his team though. There must be something he does right because I get the feeling that his teams respect the hell out of him and that they have never quit on him.

Completely agree, and I think that speaks a lot about him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
And lovie pulls another horseshoe out of his ass. Asante Samuel will not be playing due to injury.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
24_Guy wrote:
As to the Superbowl loss, Ron Rivera can go couch himself, because the defensive scheme is not what lost that game. The offense, well, essentially Rex, pissed down his pants-leg and lost that game. How many points did you want the D to hold the Colts to? And without Tommy Harris in there?

At the time, I noticed that the Bears ran out of gas during the Saints game. At that point, they entered the "happy to be here" frame of mind.

I was expecting a loss, thought for a second after Hester's touchdown return that maybe I was wrong (and they WOULD show up for the game.) But as we all saw, lot of it was Rex not being able to do simple things, like take a snap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:56 pm 

Up 15 with 4+ minutes left, the Eagles are out of timeouts and he passes the ball

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Up 15 with 4+ minutes left, the Eagles are out of timeouts and he passes the ball

The key here is, "up 15 with 4+ minutes left" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

After 2 runs got nothing, he threw on 3rd and long to try and get the 1st down. You can bash Lovie for a lot of things, but not this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

After 2 runs got nothing, he threw on 3rd and long to try and get the 1st down. You can bash Lovie for a lot of things, but not this.

Agreed. Cutler was playing great and a first down basically kills another 2 minutes off the clock. I would have thrown it there as well

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:19 pm 

24_Guy wrote:
As to the Superbowl loss, Ron Rivera can go couch himself, because the defensive scheme is not what lost that game.

Fine job by Chico tonight vs. the Colts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

And the third run and punt gets another minute off the clock.

Moose Johnston felt the same way I did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:19 am 

This week will give you a good indication of the quality of the coaching staff. This is a classic letdown situation against a team that will hang with you when they are at home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
This week will give you a good indication of the quality of the coaching staff. This is a classic letdown situation against a team that will hang with you when they are at home.

Nah, Marinelli revenge game

Kitna is dead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am 
100000 CLUB

I think the last 3 games the coaching staff has been great. Solid games plans and some nice in-game adjustments.

The staff had this D completely ready for a road game on a short week 2 games ago. The Lions are the Lions. They were able to hang with the Pats for a while too and that turned into a blowout. I'm not saying the Bears will put 40 some points on the board, but the Lions will make mistakes that will allow the Bears to win the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next