It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'm saying that something that drastic (1-15, 15-1, or even to a certain extent 5-11) can skew the overall % numbers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It counts for sure, but that wasn't entirely his fault. That was his first year as Cowboys coach. The following year, he was 7-9. The next 3 years he won double digit games.

But I don't understand why his 1-15 record should even come into the discussion. Of course it should count against him. It's part of his record. If they went 15-1 in his first season, should that also come into question?

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 pm 

So what have we learned?

Coaches with southern Drawl = Success in the NFL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
So what have we learned?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:20 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
So what have we learned?

By this logic, this guy's screwed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
If they can beat Philly, then I will apologize for underestimating Lovie's brilliance.

For now, I apologize for underestimating the power of Lovie's Lucky Rabbit's Foot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I was mostly trying to stir shit. Jimmy Johnson is one of the best head coaches off all time at any level; the fact that he did it at two levels is all the more spectacular. HOWEVER: at some point "Lovie Smith is just really lucky" becomes untenable. His winning percentage matches up very well against a lot of coaches, and after six and a half seasons, we're no longer in small sample size territory.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 pm 

Double post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:55 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Irish Boy wrote:
I was mostly trying to stir shit. Jimmy Johnson is one of the best head coaches off all time at any level; the fact that he did it at two levels is all the more spectacular. HOWEVER: at some point "Lovie Smith is just really lucky" becomes untenable. His winning percentage matches up very well against a lot of coaches, and after six and a half seasons, we're no longer in small sample size territory.

He's been lucky this season.

He's was 2 games under .500 as a coach since he'd taken the reins as an all-powerful coaching demigod in Chicago prior to this season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Do any of you think the Bears will ever win a Superbowl with Lovie as the head coach?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 pm 

I dunno. I would have never thought the Giants would win a Super Bowl with Tom Coughlin, or the Saints with Sean Payton.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Some say that the Super Bowl that the Bears played in under Lovie was lost because of Lovie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I don't think he's a liability that would prevent the Bears from to the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
I don't think he's a liability that would prevent the Bears from to the Super Bowl.

He's already been a liability that has kept them from winning the one he got them to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

He's already been a liability that has kept them from winning the one he got them to.

Debatable. Plus, they were in the Super Bowl which provides a certain amount of credit. I really don't want to sound like a Lovie apologist, but he's not nearly as bad as a good amount of fans seem to believe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:44 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

Debatable. Plus, they were in the Super Bowl which provides a certain amount of credit. I really don't want to sound like a Lovie apologist, but he's not nearly as bad as a good amount of fans seem to believe.

I don't see him as bad, per se. I see him as stubborn and inflexible when presented with an idea that may take him out of his comfort zone (such as Rivera wanting to blitz the fuck out of the Colts in the Super Bowl). Instead, he stays married to his soft zone, and the running backs dice the crap out of the defense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:46 pm 

Lovie Smith got to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as starting quarterback.
Quote:
I don't see him as bad, per se. I see him as stubborn and inflexible when presented with an idea that may take him out of his comfort zone (such as Rivera wanting to blitz the fuck out of the Colts in the Super Bowl). Instead, he stays married to his soft zone, and the running backs dice the crap out of the defense.

This is just nonsense. The Bears blitzed more than any other team in the NFL in 2008 and 2009. Had they blitzed like crazy in the Super Bowl, they would have just been picked apart a different way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:26 pm 

more like Rex Grossman got to a Super Bowl with Lovie Smith as his coach

Lovie almost torpedoed those chances with his stupidity against the Seahawks in the first round

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
He is responsible for some of the talent troubles they have - some of it isn't all that bad. This defense sould not have slipped the few years it did...last year okay because of Url.

His teams have been some of the least motivated and unprepared Bears teams I've ever watched. I'm glad they are winning, and I even think they have a shot at the Superbowl, but you guys are nuts.

Last edited by Spaulding on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:35 pm 

double post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
His teams have been some of the least motivated and unprepared Bears teams I've ever watched..

Congrats on the worst thought in this thread. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:56 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
His teams have been some of the least motivated and unprepared Bears teams I've ever watched..

It's like people have forgotten Bears Football: 1992-2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:25 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
His teams have been some of the least motivated and unprepared Bears teams I've ever watched.

I take it you did not watch the Wanny and Jauron years?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:30 pm 

I did. They were bad but you knew that going in. That's my frustration with Lovie. I think those teams had less talent than the lovie coached ones too. A lot of lovie's coaching is luck and I don't like his philosophy. I watch a fundamentally poor football team with little consistency.

Northside_Dan wrote:

Congrats on being the biggest condescending smarmy prick in this thread. That's an accomplishment considering IB had a thought. Gold star for you today. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 pm 

Woah! Collateral damage!

Don't get mad at me because you said something stupid like Dave Wannstedt and Dick Jauron did a better job of preparing their teams and got called on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:46 pm 

:lol: You know I love you and value your thoughts. I think we disagree a lot because I have a more emotional response to sports and you...don't.

Probably why I have such a huge problem with Lovie. I dislike him more than Wanne or Jauron. This team has looked horrible this year and they are winning. They miss tackles, line is bad, misuse talent, can't adjust, etc. I have always felt that the super bowl was a little lucky/flukey because of Hester and takeaways. They got beat there partially because of coaching.

Wanne and Jauron were not capable of much and didn't have much so I didn't expect much. They were (or seemed) more consistent from year to year possibly game to game. That could be because I'm so far removed from that now...I'm sure at the time I was pissed.

Lovie is all over the place so I have a larger emotional response. If he were a student I'd expect straight As because of his salary and believe he is capable of the honor roll. However he comes home with grades ranging from A's to F's and there is a different reason everytime.

I don't like this team right now and winning isn't fixing it. You may not like or agree with my logic and it might not even be logic, but it's mine and I don't care what you say!!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm 

Spaulding, can you explain to me what exactly about the Bears the last 2 weeks has been "horrible"?

The defense is playing lights out.

Special teams are playing great.

The offense still struggles, but they have done what it takes to win. They ran the ball well last night.

They just shut out a team who was favored on the road.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:02 pm 

2 games good but the 8 games before that not really good which is why it's frustrating. Why did it take 10 games? Is this permanent or will they take steps back? Are the other teams just that bad?

I still don't know what they have.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:05 pm 

Would you agree that the defense and special teams has played well this year?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 pm 

Yes. I expect the defense to be good and they've failed at that the last 3 years with one of those excused maybe. They also give up to many 3rd and longs and I don't always like the bending no breaking. I wait for that shoe to drop - I do realize that's on me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next