It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Ciminos
In the game of craps, the odds of rolling snake eyes are 35 to 1. It is a crazy man's bet, one likely to lose. At the beginning of the off season when Jerry and Lovie made huge free agency moves, brought in Mike Martz, promoted Rod Marinelli, and basically bet their collective pro football careers, they were asking us to believe they would roll snake eyes. Now that they seemingly have done so, the question remains whether it was a complete stroke of luck or whether this gamble might actually pay future season dividends.

My contention is that they may have stumbled into a winning formula, and the main reason is the assistant coaching staff that at one time seemed like patchwork at best. For the first time in decades, we have an offensive coordinator who makes adjustments, a defensive coordinator who is praised by his players, and a head coach who seems to always have his team prepared. In other words, I think that this assistant coaching staff as a unit is collectively better then they are as individuals because they magically have proven they can work together. The alternative of firing Lovie means dismantling this staff and its philosophy, and even if it meant bringing in a premier coach, I am not so sure it would be for the better. Just ask the Redskins.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

They've done an above average job of working with a hodgepodge secondary and pedestrian offensive line.

They have certainly earned the right to keep their jobs. Win an NFC Championship and they might get three year extensions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Do not extend him. Wait until the contract is up and then make a decision. His job was on the line this year and he made adjustments. If he is locked down for another 3 years then he will be too comfortable and use the success of this year to become arrogant and stubborn again. After next year you would have to think the wheels will come off of urlacher and briggs and that would be the end of this defense. Sounds like a perfect time to part ways.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Excellent review of Lovie & his staff. I agree with Urlacher's neck,though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Do not extend him. Wait until the contract is up and then make a decision. His job was on the line this year and he made adjustments. If he is locked down for another 3 years then he will be too comfortable and use the success of this year to become arrogant and stubborn again. After next year you would have to think the wheels will come off of urlacher and briggs and that would be the end of this defense. Sounds like a perfect time to part ways.

The Bears will have to add a year or two to his contract. Having a coach go into a season as a lame duck is usually a recipe for disaster for a few reasons. Your best coaches will likely leave for more security. The players gain even more leverage over a coach in this situation and many unhappy players won't give the same effort because they know you will be gone next season. On the rare chance that the players continue perform at a high level and the Bears continue to win management would have put themselves in an unnecessary bidding war. They may end up losing his services or have to pay an amount they wouldn't normally feel comfortable paying. This is similar in many ways to 2006. The Bears could have retained Lovie for half the price they are paying him now if management would have talked to his agent after the playoff exit to the Panthers.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
^ 100% correct

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 pm 

Fire Lovie and promote Rod Marrinelli.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:52 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Fire Lovie and hire Ed Rendell with Samurai Mike as the DC.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Fire Lovie and hire Ed Rendell with Samurai Mike as the DC.

Ed has been known to get a little orange and he likes Bears weather. That could work. Mike has the fire and passion. That usually goes a long way.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
HOVA wrote:
The Bears will have to add a year or two to his contract. Having a coach go into a season as a lame duck is usually a recipe for disaster for a few reasons. Your best coaches will likely leave for more security. The players gain even more leverage over a coach in this situation and many unhappy players won't give the same effort because they know you will be gone next season. On the rare chance that the players continue perform at a high level and the Bears continue to win management would have put themselves in an unnecessary bidding war. They may end up losing his services or have to pay an amount they wouldn't normally feel comfortable paying. This is similar in many ways to 2006. The Bears could have retained Lovie for half the price they are paying him now if management would have talked to his agent after the playoff exit to the Panthers.

The only problem with that is that the players all love Lovie. I really can't see him "losing his team". I don't care if the Bears have to overpay if he has success next year as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
HOVA wrote:

The only problem with that is that the players all love Lovie. I really can't see him "losing his team". I don't care if the Bears have to overpay if he has success next year as well.

They may not get the chance to overpay and many fans will rightly be upset. I could see an owner throwing dumb money at Lovie. The Cowboys really wanted him a couple years ago. The Bears aren't going to win a bidding war like that. I understand the reasoning behind not giving him a new contract but I think the risk is too high. As I said earlier it isn't just about him it is also about the players and coaches too.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The Cowboys job goes to the golden boy Jason Garrett right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:24 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
The Cowboys job goes to the golden boy Jason Garrett right?

Probably so. If the Bears win the SB in a lame duck Lovie season and Dallas struggles you can bet your ass that Jerry will pay to bring the Texas boy home.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
If the Bears lose to the packers two times in two weeks (playoff opponent according to Brad Biggs),the Cowboys can have him. Do Bears DB's EVER play man to man? They can not allow the Packers to pick them apart underneath and march up & down the field.