It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Falcons are only 2 point favorites over the Packers. Way to fight for that one seed Falcons. :lol: :lol: Meanwhile our Bears have to settle for the 2 seed. :lol: I've been looking around and the Bears are now 10 point favorites at most Vegas sports books. 9.5 in some. My personal book (it's local) has them at 11 cuz it's Chicago and he knows he's gonna get a lot of Bears action. The OVER/UNEDR for that game is 40.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:38 pm 

Hussra just takes the anti chicago side in all big games. Its his thing.

I think the Seahawks have to run effectively to win. (They Wont)
I dont see Hassellbeck being able to dink and dunk the Bears.

Bears in a blowout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think the Seahawks have to run effectively to win. (They Wont)
I dont see Hassellbeck being able to dink and dunk the Bears.

Bears in a blowout

Lynch disagrees. He has hit his stride finally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:41 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Speaking of idiots...

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
RFDC wrote:

Speaking of idiots...

You know you loved watching the Pack today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:43 pm 

Remember that Briggs did not play in the Seattle game and the Bear run defense suffered that day.

Tillman had a poor game against Seattle covering Mike Williams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Speaking of idiots...

You know you loved watching the Pack today.

For the first time all year I was glad they won. Giving the Bears the Seahawks was a nice present.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This game has all the makings of a Bears ugly loss. The Bears are better now than earlier in the year but Seattle is playing with house money and they have nothing to lose.
The Bears D is better than the Saints, but Cutler has to play his best or bad things may happen on the lakefront.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm 

Bears will win by 20+.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 pm 

Country Bumpkin wrote:
The Bears D is better than the Saints.

northwestern's d is better than the saints.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 am 

RFDC wrote:

Speaking of idiots...
IU already fired him. Stop piling on!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Irish Boy wrote:
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Surprised the Bears are favored at all, let alone by that much.

Cool. How much do you want to bet me on the Seahawks even money, straight up?

I was taking the piss with the surprise comment. I've been bagging on the Bears favorable lines all season, e.g., the 7-1 (?) Bears being only -2 1/2 vs the 0-7 Bills back in week 9.

Thus I am mock surprised the Bears this week are getting what is an actual legit-seeming line for maybe the first time this season. Yeah, yeah, I know, lines are for 50/50 on each side, but that still doesn't explain many of the Bears lines in the 2010 season, I don't think:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=53251

The Bears lines haven't made sense all season and, even tho they are favored for only the 4th time this season (2x's vs the Lions, 1x vs the Bills, 1x vs the Skins), the line is still very favorable to the Bears:

Bears (8-3) @ Lions (2-9) the line is Bears -3 1/2

Saints (8-3) @ Bengals (2-9) the line is Saints -7 1/2

Bengals beat the Ravens and Panthers.

Lions beat the Rams and Redskins.

And the Bears and Bengals fanbases are notorious for overvaluing their own team and thus betting on them no matter the line. Bengals, afaik, still have their 1st string QB starting this week. Lions will be lucky if they have their 2nd string QB available. Seems like those 2 lines should be reversed, or at least closer to each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 am 

yeah, as was pointed out previously, the Bears were also favored vs the C- hawks @ Home and the pathetic Panthers on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 am 

Hussra, what was the Seahawk-Bear line the first time? While I think the Seahawks are a little better than when that game was played, I believe the Bears are as well and the line should be similar to what that kicked off at. I have a feeling this line is not "true" but actually a little inflated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
Green Bay's defense in that last game provided a blueprint on how to shut down the Bears offense--take away everything deep and wait for Cutler to get antsy and throw a pick. Image

The beloved didn't have Earl Bennett in the GB game, and that most certainly took away one of Cutler's favorite downfield options, and, with this fact in mind:

rogers park bryan wrote:

Furthermore:

enigma wrote:
Remember that Briggs did not play in the Seattle game and the Bear run defense suffered that day.

Please stop trying to make my meatball side nervous about this game. I'm inclined to think that the Bear should be able to win this thing by a couple of touchdowns...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Hussra, what was the Seahawk-Bear line the first time? While I think the Seahawks are a little better than when that game was played, I believe the Bears are as well and the line should be similar to what that kicked off at. I have a feeling this line is not "true" but actually a little inflated.

Bears were 6 point favorites that day. It was the 3rd highest total for the Bears as favorites all season. They were 6.5 on opening day against Detroit and 7 point favorites over the Vikings at the college stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm 

Good point about Earl Bennett, he's Cutler's go to possession receiver. G-Reg took over that role by the end of the GB game. But, again, the Packers defense seemed to be happy giving up underneath passes for 5-7 yds as long as Cutler didn't burn em deep. Johnny Knox was shut out in that game, iirc.

Last edited by NearWessSideHussra on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:24 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Feels that way, which is why it was a bit of a surprise. Didn't really expect Seattle to be favored, just giving the Bears some grief about their heretofore favorable lines.

However, I think if the Bears win they win big because it'll likely mean (i) Seattle doesn't neutralize Hester in the kicking game; even if Hester doesn't return any for TD's, the favorable field position alone should be killer against the Seahawks defense as long as (ii) Cutler doesn't crap the bed in his first playoff game.

In a close game, I could see Cutler Vicking one into the end zone for a game ending pick. which isn't that how the GB game ended?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Here's an interesting question: In the history of the NFL, since point spreads have been around, in playoffs or regular season, has a double digit dog team won outright in back to back weeks?

My guess would be no. So that means it's a 100% chance that the Bears will win. Hell, double digit dogs winning outright has to be less than 20% anyway. The fact that the Hawks did it last week is good cuz lightining won't strike twice in the exact same spot.

The Gold Sheet always researches interesting point spread stuff like what I just mentioned. Hopefully Coast to Coast posts this week's edition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Quote:
Here's an interesting question: In the history of the NFL, since point spreads have been around, in playoffs or regular season, has a double digit dog team won outright in back to back weeks?

My guess would be no. So that means it's a 100% chance that the Bears will win.

This is one of the most fantastic feats of logic ever accomplished on this board.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Irish Boy wrote:
Quote:

My guess would be no. So that means it's a 100% chance that the Bears will win.

This is one of the most fantastic feats of logic ever accomplished on this board.

Just going by percentages. If something has never happened than there is a 0% chance of it happening until it happens. (I'm just goofing around, Irish Boy. Relax.)

Not even my best. I logically proved that there have to be racists working at the SCORE. That wasn't goofing around. That truth shocked and angered everybody here. Sorry you missed that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Beardown wrote:
Just going by percentages. If something has never happened than there is a 0% chance of it happening until it happens.

The Cubs have won the world series before, but there is a 0% chance of it happening again.

There is a 0% chance of Oney Guillen posting something coherant on Twitter, bigfan praising Jerry Reinsdorf, John Kirk posting something smart, or you getting laid.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Forget back to back weeks. How many times has a double digit dog won outright twice in a season?

Also, how many times has a team had it's highest favrorite total of the season in a playoff game? Think about that. That has to be extremely rare and I'll bet it's never happened. Bears find themselves in that situation. They're 10 point favorites this Sunday when the highest they've been all year was 7.5 favorites at Minnesota last month.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Beardown wrote:
How many times has a double digit dog won outright twice in a season?

The Browns beat the Pats this year where they were likely at least a 10 point dog. The Lions had 5 wins, so probably not all that long ago.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Forget back to back weeks. How many times has a double digit dog won outright twice in a season?

Also, how many times has a team had it's highest favrorite total of the season in a playoff game? Think about that. That has to be extremely rare and I'll bet it's never happened. Bears find themselves in that situation. They're 10 point favorites this Sunday when the highest they've been all year was 7.5 favorites at Minnesota last month.

Why are you so concerned about a gambling line? Vegas is not in the business of picking winners, they're in the business of making money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:51 pm 

Generally, and particularly for NFL games, Vegas lines are the most accurate predictors available. Maybe the books aren't in the business of picking winners, but they still do a better job of it than anyone else. If they didn't, they'd be bankrupt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:21 pm 

They are exceptional at getting 50% to bet one way and 50% the other. To do that they look more at betting trends than analyzing the matchups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Beardown wrote:
How many times has a double digit dog won outright twice in a season?

The Browns beat the Pats this year where they were likely at least a 10 point dog. The Lions had 5 wins, so probably not all that long ago.

Yeah. But I know that 3 of those wins by the Lions were home wins and they weren't double digit dogs in those games. They weren't double digit dogs in Miami when they won either. I forget their other road win but I'll guarentee you the Lions weren't double digit dogs. They're a pretty decent offense. You're right. Browns beating the Pats was one but I don't think they had a 2nd.

I'm focusing on this 10 point dog thing to point out how rare it is that those teams win outright. You non gamblers wouldn't understand it. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't happen much and for it to happen in back to back weeks would be against all odds.

Bears are a lock to win. I'm not saying they're a lock to cover the 10 though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:42 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
They are exceptional at getting 50% to bet one way and 50% the other. To do that they look more at betting trends than analyzing the matchups.

That's a myth.